News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Florida

Started by FLRoads, January 21, 2009, 12:31:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1995hoo

Following up on my query above, we wound up skipping the Lake Okeechobee detour. My wife was grumpy after using rural roads between Jacksonville and the Orlando area, so I agreed that if the Turnpike was moving well and didn't seem too heavy we'd stay on there. It was moving right along, so that's what we did (would have switched to I-95 if necessary, but it wasn't necessary).

Thanks for the advice anyway. I'll remember it for a future trip. If we take the Auto Train it's probably easier for me to get away with back-road detours than it is when it's the latter half of a two-day thousand-plus-mile drive.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

formulanone

Does anyone have any information on the abandoned concrete overpass above Dixie Highway, east of US 1 and FL 713?

by: Ebyabe [CC BY-SA 4.0 (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0)], from Wikimedia Commons

It looks like a 1990s-era creation, with its slightly sculpted concreted sides and little flanges for lighting or perhaps sign posts. But I can't find any information on it. Was it supposed to span the Intracoastal? Go to a planned business? Did the creation Avalon State Park put an end to it? It doesn't even seem as if traffic counts could have been high enough to justify it, especially since it spans a little local road.

Beltway

Quote from: formulanone on January 10, 2019, 05:19:25 PM
Does anyone have any information on the abandoned concrete overpass above Dixie Highway, east of US 1 and FL 713?

Looks like not over 30 years old, and not abandoned but was never connected to a road.

Maybe part of a proposed but unbuilt causeway over the Indian River?  Interchange would be at that site?
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

NE2

A 2007 aerial shows the approaches under construction and no bridge there yet.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

roadman65

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 14, 2018, 07:35:27 PM
Speaking of Florida I'll be visiting myself January 13th to the 21st.  I have a couple photo cliches in mind:

FL 50
FL 19
FL 24
I-4
I-275
FL 618

This isn't the typical mega trip fare I generally do with 10 days plus off.  I'm considering heading down to Everglades National Park for the day but I'll see how I feel about it later.  I'm looking at focusing mainly on the Tampa Bay and Orlando areas if anyone has ideas for anything
New or interesting to see road wise.  To that end if anyone wants to meet up things are pretty open ended plan wise right now. 
Suncoast Extension is now visibly seen on Citrus County 490 near Lecanto.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: roadman65 on January 10, 2019, 11:10:15 PM
Speaking of Florida I'll be visiting myself January 13th to the 21st.  I have a couple photo cliches in mind:

FL 50
FL 19
FL 24
I-4
I-275
FL 618

This isn't the typical mega trip fare I generally do with 10 days plus off.  I'm considering heading down to Everglades National Park for the day but I'll see how I feel about it later.  I'm looking at focusing mainly on the Tampa Bay and Orlando areas if anyone has ideas for anything
New or interesting to see road wise.  To that end if anyone wants to meet up things are pretty open ended plan wise right now. 
Suncoast Extension is now visibly seen on Citrus County 490 near Lecanto.

That's probably worth a look, I'll be in Citrus County Monday hiking back out to Mannfield in the morning.

D-Dey65

FL 50
FL 19
FL 24
I-4
I-275
FL 618

Not looking forward to any meet ups, but I've considered going on some photographic rampages of I-175, I-275 and I-375 in Pinellas County, primarily because of the limited coverage within the Wikimedia commons. In the case of I-275, a recent split of road sign gantries into county-specific categories created one for Pinellas County that only has one image.

I also want to improve the Wikimedia Commons coverage of the I-4 Rest Areas in Seminole County. 

roadman65

http://www.fdottampabay.com/project/109/256243-2-52-01
FDOT misspelled Boulevard.  Hillarious. :-D

A job for NE 2. :D

Sheryl Crowe

edwaleni

Quote from: formulanone on January 10, 2019, 05:19:25 PM

by: Ebyabe [CC BY-SA 4.0 (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0)], from Wikimedia Commons

It looks like a 1990s-era creation, with its slightly sculpted concreted sides and little flanges for lighting or perhaps sign posts. But I can't find any information on it. Was it supposed to span the Intracoastal? Go to a planned business? Did the creation Avalon State Park put an end to it? It doesn't even seem as if traffic counts could have been high enough to justify it, especially since it spans a little local road.

It was supposed to serve a development tract east of US1, but it went defunct.

1995hoo

^^^

That might explain the sign about land for sale that you see at the nearby intersection if you go into Street View, then.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: D-Dey65 on January 10, 2019, 11:53:05 PM

FL 50
FL 19
FL 24
I-4
I-275
FL 618

Not looking forward to any meet ups, but I've considered going on some photographic rampages of I-175, I-275 and I-375 in Pinellas County, primarily because of the limited coverage within the Wikimedia commons. In the case of I-275, a recent split of road sign gantries into county-specific categories created one for Pinellas County that only has one image.

I also want to improve the Wikimedia Commons coverage of the I-4 Rest Areas in Seminole County.

I'm probably hitting I-175 and I-375 as well...looks like Tuesday.  Anything specific you're looking for photo wise?

D-Dey65

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on January 12, 2019, 09:48:16 AM
I'm probably hitting I-175 and I-375 as well...looks like Tuesday.  Anything specific you're looking for photo wise?
Ooh, maybe something like actual interchanges and signs, overhead sign gantries, stubs for former ramps and extensions.

I know both roads are short and unfinished, but they still need more photographic coverage than what's now available.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: D-Dey65 on January 12, 2019, 10:10:34 PM
Ooh, maybe something like actual interchanges and signs, overhead sign gantries, stubs for former ramps and extensions.

I know both roads are short and unfinished, but they still need more photographic coverage than what's now available.

I'll let you know if I get to them, really with them both being so short I don't see why I wouldn't make the effort to get an album for each.

roadman65

At US 92 and Westshore in South Tampa, piers are up for the future Lee Roy Selmon Extension plus work is being done at the current west end of that toll road. The bridge that once carried the ramp to EB US 92 is demolished and traffic that direction is doubling up on the EB ramp from US 92 EB overpass.

It will be interesting to see how traffic to US 92 EB to Dale Mabry will exit as with the overhead elevated toll road done it will sever that ramp. 

Sheryl Crowe

VTGoose

I have a question about getting across Florida from Orlando to Tampa before I-4 was built. From Google (and that may add to my confusion), it looks like there wasn't much choice for routes. It appears that U.S. 441 south out of Orlando to Kissimmee (where 441 ends?) was the start, then pick up U.S. 17 to meander west and south to Lake Alfred, where U.S. 92 starts (ends?). That road goes pretty much west into the north part of Tampa, but there are then various ways to get south into Tampa proper.

I'm just curious after dealing with I-4 and near standstill traffic in travels from our son's home in Apollo Beach to the airport in Orlando and a trip over to Port Canaveral. The closest I have come to an alternative was coming back from Orlando and hitting traffic near Plant City. We got off on 39A and went around Plant City to 39, then took that south to 672, then took that west through Balm to U.S. 301 and then to our son's house.

Bruce in Blacksburg
"Get in the fast lane, grandma!  The bingo game is ready to roll!"

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: VTGoose on January 18, 2019, 09:18:28 AM
I have a question about getting across Florida from Orlando to Tampa before I-4 was built. From Google (and that may add to my confusion), it looks like there wasn't much choice for routes. It appears that U.S. 441 south out of Orlando to Kissimmee (where 441 ends?) was the start, then pick up U.S. 17 to meander west and south to Lake Alfred, where U.S. 92 starts (ends?). That road goes pretty much west into the north part of Tampa, but there are then various ways to get south into Tampa proper.

I'm just curious after dealing with I-4 and near standstill traffic in travels from our son's home in Apollo Beach to the airport in Orlando and a trip over to Port Canaveral. The closest I have come to an alternative was coming back from Orlando and hitting traffic near Plant City. We got off on 39A and went around Plant City to 39, then took that south to 672, then took that west through Balm to U.S. 301 and then to our son's house.

Bruce in Blacksburg

US 92 essentially was completely replaced by I-4.  If you're looking for an alternate route FL 60 west of Bartow isn't too bad but you really don't have many choices with the Green Swamp in the way.  US 92/17 is probably worth it just to see the Old Tampa Highway which is a segment of the  Dixie Highway still in use.   

Beltway

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on January 18, 2019, 10:03:40 AM
I'm just curious after dealing with I-4 and near standstill traffic in travels from our son's home in Apollo Beach to the airport in Orlando and a trip over to Port Canaveral. The closest I have come to an alternative was coming back from Orlando and hitting traffic near Plant City. We got off on 39A and went around Plant City to 39, then took that south to 672, then took that west through Balm to U.S. 301 and then to our son's house.  Bruce in Blacksburg
US 92 essentially was completely replaced by I-4.  If you're looking for an alternate route FL 60 west of Bartow isn't too bad but you really don't have many choices with the Green Swamp in the way.  US 92/17 is probably worth it just to see the Old Tampa Highway which is a segment of the  Dixie Highway still in use.   

I-4 was completed in the early 1960s before Brevard County and Orlando really took off.   We lived there in the 1960s (Melbourne area) and Orlando was nothing like today, it had something like 50,000 city population with a small suburban area, there was no Disney World, and Brevard was still ramping up for the space program and Port Canaveral was a commercial port only.  Vastly lower traffic volumes back then.

For traveling say between Cocoa and Tampa, probably FL-520 to FL-50 to US-92, and that would take you thru Orlando.

Pre-Interstate days it was commonplace on long trips to have to drive thru major cities as many of them did not have a bypass.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

Brian556

Bruce in Blacksburg

US 441 does not end in Kissimmee. Google maps just is not great at showing concurrencies.

Eth

Quote from: Brian556 on January 18, 2019, 10:33:22 AM
Quote from: VTGoose on January 18, 2019, 09:18:28 AMIt appears that U.S. 441 south out of Orlando to Kissimmee (where 441 ends?) was the start, then pick up U.S. 17 to meander west and south to Lake Alfred, where U.S. 92 starts (ends?).

US 441 does not end in Kissimmee. Google maps just is not great at showing concurrencies.

Right. For instance, the entire route originally mentioned here is also US 92 (if you zoom in farther and maybe scroll around a bit, it'll eventually show up).

adventurernumber1

Quote from: Eth on January 18, 2019, 10:55:08 AM
Quote from: Brian556 on January 18, 2019, 10:33:22 AM
Quote from: VTGoose on January 18, 2019, 09:18:28 AMIt appears that U.S. 441 south out of Orlando to Kissimmee (where 441 ends?) was the start, then pick up U.S. 17 to meander west and south to Lake Alfred, where U.S. 92 starts (ends?).

Right. For instance, the entire route originally mentioned here is also US 92 (if you zoom in farther and maybe scroll around a bit, it'll eventually show up).

Past Kissimmee, US 441 makes its way south to Miami, ending at US 41 (its parent route).

I, too, find the low reliability of Google Maps' signing concurrencies to be rather annoying. It seems like they used to be better at that, but these days, it is a lot more strenuous trying to make out concurrencies while browsing Google Maps.  :meh:
Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

roadman65

Well those of you who hate seeing Perry on a mileage sign anywhere on US 19 here is one that does not have it.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/54480415@N08/46795850951/in/dateposted-public/
Though the City of Inglis is now appearing in Sugar Woods along US 19 & 98 after Crystal River along one sign.

Sheryl Crowe

VTGoose

That's what I figured but it looks like U.S. 92 meandered quite a bit. It looks like pre-interstate that going north-south in Florida was pretty well covered but east-west was hit or miss.
"Get in the fast lane, grandma!  The bingo game is ready to roll!"

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: VTGoose on January 20, 2019, 04:26:16 AM

That's what I figured but it looks like U.S. 92 meandered quite a bit. It looks like pre-interstate that going north-south in Florida was pretty well covered but east-west was hit or miss.

Those are fairly well covered by the X0 State Roads.  For most part all of them that aren't linked with with a US Route are fairly practical for getting east/west around the state. 

D-Dey65

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on January 13, 2019, 07:39:22 PM

I'll let you know if I get to them, really with them both being so short I don't see why I wouldn't make the effort to get an album for each.
Well, guess what; I just did it;

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Interstate_175

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Interstate_375_(Florida)

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Road_sign_gantries_in_Pinellas_County,_Florida

And I'm going to continue to do it until I run out of suitable pictures.

And the rest areas of I-4 in Seminole County is my next big project for Florida.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: D-Dey65 on February 07, 2019, 11:28:45 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on January 13, 2019, 07:39:22 PM

Well, guess what; I just did it;

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Interstate_175

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Interstate_375_(Florida)

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Road_sign_gantries_in_Pinellas_County,_Florida

And I'm going to continue to do it until I run out of suitable pictures.

And the rest areas of I-4 in Seminole County is my next big project for Florida.

I-175/I-375 were definitely worth the side trip off of I-275 just for the sake of how weird they were.  I captured the Polk County rest area on I-4 but didn't stop at the Seminole County one. 

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.