News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

NASCAR

Started by kenarmy, February 12, 2021, 10:30:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rickmastfan67

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on February 27, 2021, 05:07:26 PM
Quote from: rickmastfan67 on February 27, 2021, 04:52:00 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on February 27, 2021, 04:50:17 PM
Quote from: rickmastfan67 on February 27, 2021, 04:37:44 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on February 19, 2021, 11:38:05 PM
I attended dozens of races as a guest from 1994 until Mr. Marcis retired after the 2002 Daytona.  I was often put to work in the garage which required a waiver from NASCAR given I was a kid for most of that time.

Did you by some odd chance attend the 2001 race @ Dover right after 9/11?  I've been looking everywhere since '01 for pictures of Marcis's car from that weekend, but haven't found a single one since he was a DNQ.

Negative, I wasn't at Dover in 01.

Dang.  I so want to find some pictures of his car from that race to see what, if anything, his team did to show support after 9/11.  His is the only car from that weekend that I've found 0 pictures of.

I want to say my Dad did have a picture of it so I might actually have a physical one in storage in Florida.  I plan on scanning all those photos the next time I'm in the Tampa area (maybe in September?) and I'll let you know if I find one.  At the time I would have just started my first job after moving to Phoenix so I was more or less stuck where I was.

Cool beans!  I'll be waiting. :)

epzik8

Quote from: Takumi on February 19, 2021, 07:41:13 PM
Quote from: kenarmy on February 19, 2021, 12:13:30 PM
Matt Kenseth is underrated. He has 2 Daytona wins, a championship, 39 wins, and he beat Dale Jr. for roty  :nod: . And last but definitely not least, he spun Joey Logano. nascar rarely mentions him but they are quick to bring up Dale Jr and Kurt Busch. I pray he doesn't continue to be one of those interim drivers and tarnish his legacy.
He's also partially responsible for the shitshow that is the playoffs. In his 2003 championship season, he won one race, but won the title on consistency, while Ryan Newman won eight races but finished down in the points because he had quite a few DNFs.
I've heard that NASCAR was thinking about the Chase/playoffs as early as 2000.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: epzik8 on February 27, 2021, 06:06:52 PM
Quote from: Takumi on February 19, 2021, 07:41:13 PM
Quote from: kenarmy on February 19, 2021, 12:13:30 PM
Matt Kenseth is underrated. He has 2 Daytona wins, a championship, 39 wins, and he beat Dale Jr. for roty  :nod: . And last but definitely not least, he spun Joey Logano. nascar rarely mentions him but they are quick to bring up Dale Jr and Kurt Busch. I pray he doesn't continue to be one of those interim drivers and tarnish his legacy.
He's also partially responsible for the shitshow that is the playoffs. In his 2003 championship season, he won one race, but won the title on consistency, while Ryan Newman won eight races but finished down in the points because he had quite a few DNFs.
I've heard that NASCAR was thinking about the Chase/playoffs as early as 2000.

Some of the teams were taking about it even in the 1990s.  The concept of team franchises was really big back then too because a lot of owners wanted a guaranteed spot in the field.

Max Rockatansky

Now William Byron wins and Michael McDowell finished in the top ten again.

kenarmy

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on February 28, 2021, 07:02:34 PM

Im glad for both of them. I hope Denny gets his mess together before he ends up falling into lackluster land like Kyle Busch did after he won his championship. But then again it's only been 3 races.
Just a reminder that US 6, 49, 50, and 98 are superior to your fave routes :)

EXTEND 206 SO IT CAN MEET ITS PARENT.

NWI_Irish96

McDowell top ten on a superspeedway, road course, and now intermediate oval. He may not just be an also-ran in the playoffs.

Also, we have three guys who wouldn't have been picked to be playoff guys winning the first three races. Some big names are going to miss out.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

epzik8

I'm happy for McDowell this year.

kenarmy

I didn't even watch the full race because I had to leave, and I come back to see Kyle Larson win and every Penske car in the top ten  :-|.

hbelkins

Quote from: kenarmy on March 07, 2021, 07:42:54 PM
Kyle Larson

Well, that's liable to get the thread locked.  :rofl:

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

NWI_Irish96

Four different winners in four races, with none of them being overly likely repeat winners. It's not out of the question that we get more than 16 winners and end up with some missing the playoffs.

epzik8

Quote from: hbelkins on March 07, 2021, 10:19:13 PM
Quote from: kenarmy on March 07, 2021, 07:42:54 PM
Kyle Larson

Well, that's liable to get the thread locked.  :rofl:
People on Reddit and Twitter are bracing for drama.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: cabiness42 on March 08, 2021, 07:09:47 AM
Four different winners in four races, with none of them being overly likely repeat winners. It's not out of the question that we get more than 16 winners and end up with some missing the playoffs.

I'm pretty confident Kyle Larson will likely be a repeat winner given how he was running in the other races.  Even though this is off to a fast start getting to more than sixteen winners is going to be a tall order. 

rickmastfan67

Plus McDowell could be the 'new' Michael Waltrip when it comes to Super Speedways.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on March 08, 2021, 07:14:13 PM
Plus McDowell could be the 'new' Michael Waltrip when it comes to Super Speedways.

I'm amazed he never pulled off a points win in the 30 car or with the Wood Brothers.  He definitely wasn't all that competitive outside of super speedways with DEI. 

Takumi

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on March 08, 2021, 07:22:19 PM

I'm amazed he never pulled off a points win in the 30 car or with the Wood Brothers.  He definitely wasn't all that competitive outside of super speedways with DEI. 
He did win a Winston with the Wood Brothers, but yeah, surprised it took him as long as it did to win a points race.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

epzik8

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on March 08, 2021, 07:22:19 PM

He dominated the spring race at Darlington in 1991, but something broke on his car.

kenarmy

Well it's matt kenseth's birthday! Turns out he's only the third person who has won a race on their birthday. Add that to the underrated list. Oh yeah and we're both pisces so that's cool.

NWI_Irish96

Truex wins and normal order is restored. The top 9 in this race are also the top 9 in points, and it seems almost certain the champion will come from this group. The only potential spoiler outside this group of 9 is Kyle Busch, but he needs to stop being the 4th car on his own team before he can be taken seriously.

kenarmy

https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=4183.msg91979#msg91979

Looking at this thread is a little sad considering all the drivers mentioned are now retired. I see Trevor Bayne had a lot of hype when he won the Daytona 500.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: kenarmy on March 26, 2021, 12:51:37 AM
https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=4183.msg91979#msg91979

Looking at this thread is a little sad considering all the drivers mentioned are now retired. I see Trevor Bayne had a lot of hype when he won the Daytona 500.

Super Speedways tend to have a lot of fluke winners.  Likewise Michael McDowell would likely never stand a chance of getting a win at a normal oval or road course.

Some other fluke Super Speedway winners that also come to mind would be; Derrick Cope, Bobby Hillin and Ron Bouchard.

74/171FAN

Trevor Bayne alomst won a Truck Race at Talladega last year if I remember correctly.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

thspfc

The iRacing event on Wednesday was really fun. A lot more interesting than a real-life race, that's for sure.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: thspfc on March 26, 2021, 01:04:04 PM
The iRacing event on Wednesday was really fun. A lot more interesting than a real-life race, that's for sure.

I take it you've never been to a race in person?  A video game doesn't come close to what it is like being near those cars. 

thspfc

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on March 26, 2021, 01:08:48 PM

I take it you've never been to a race in person?  A video game doesn't come close to what it is like being near those cars.
I guess.

zachary_amaryllis

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on March 26, 2021, 01:08:48 PM

i thought nascar was boring when i was a kid, until i saw two races at the 'old' richmond, va track in the mid 80's. i think it was just called 'fairgrounds raceway' or something like that. changed my whole perspective on it. what an experience! we were in the infield...

i think what really got me hooked.. was tv sound does not do it justice at all. even when they were just putting around under caution i swear i could feel it in my chest.
clinched:
I-64, I-80, I-76 (west), *64s in hampton roads, 225,270,180 (co, wy)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.