AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New rules to ensure post quality. See this thread for details.

Author Topic: DFW: US 380 freeway in Collin and Denton counties  (Read 28335 times)

kernals12

• Love highways and cars. Hate public transit.

• Last Login: Today at 04:46:01 PM
Re: DFW: US 380 freeway in Collin and Denton counties
« Reply #175 on: April 20, 2022, 12:56:18 PM »

TxDOT will be holding a public meeting about *widening* US 380 In Collin County on May 10. It just so happens I'll be in the area on that day. Should I go?  :bigass:

http://www.ntxe-news.com/artman/publish/article_128846.shtml
Do it. Prosper and Frisco will benefit greatly.
I'm not planning on making any comments because I don't want to make a spectacle of myself, but I've never been to this type of meeting

kernals12

« Reply #176 on: April 28, 2022, 08:30:30 PM »

http://www.keepitmovingdallas.com/US380Farmersville

Public Meeting was held tonight about the portion between CR 560 and CR 699 at the Hunt County Border, bypassing Farmersville.

« Last Edit: April 28, 2022, 08:33:39 PM by kernals12 »

MaxConcrete

• Last Login: November 30, 2022, 11:56:40 PM
« Reply #177 on: May 10, 2022, 08:59:25 PM »

Public meeting materials including schematics are posted. The section covered by this meeting is from 2 miles west of the DNT to 4 miles east of DNT. The alignment is along the existing 380 for this section, and nearly all right-of-way acquisition is along the south side of the existing road.
http://www.keepitmovingdallas.com/US380ProsperFriscoWidening

Observations:
  • Freeway is only 3x3 on this section. But there is a 32-foot-wide median to add the fourth lane in the future.
  • Frontage roads are continuous. However, some frontage road sections have only two lanes.
  • 5-level interchange planned at DNT
  • 3-level interchange planned at Preston Road, with Preston main lanes on the second level.
  • The presentation says "proposed right-of-way width of 245 to 522 feet". Scaling from the schematic, the right-of-way looks like it is typically 380 feet wide where the schematic has a full freeway (as opposed to the transition zones at the ends). The right-of way around the DNT and between the DNT and Preston is in the range of 450 to 500 feet.
  • It will be ready for construction to start in 2026

kernals12

« Reply #178 on: May 10, 2022, 09:20:29 PM »

Public meeting materials including schematics are posted. The section covered by this meeting is from 2 miles west of the DNT to 4 miles east of DNT. The alignment is along the existing 380 for this section, and nearly all right-of-way acquisition is along the south side of the existing road.
http://www.keepitmovingdallas.com/US380ProsperFriscoWidening

Observations:
  • Freeway is only 3x3 on this section. But there is a 32-foot-wide median to add the fourth lane in the future.
  • Frontage roads are continuous. However, some frontage road sections have only two lanes.
  • 5-level interchange planned at DNT
  • 3-level interchange planned at Preston Road, with Preston main lanes on the second level.
  • The presentation says "proposed right-of-way width of 245 to 522 feet". Scaling from the schematic, the right-of-way looks like it is typically 380 feet wide where the schematic has a full freeway (as opposed to the transition zones at the ends). The right-of way around the DNT and between the DNT and Preston is in the range of 450 to 500 feet.
  • It will be ready for construction to start in 2026
As I said in the "DFW Projects" thread, I almost went to this meeting but I was worried people would get the wrong idea about a grown man travelling alone in a car with Illinois plates at a school building.

Bobby5280

• Last Login: Today at 03:52:58 PM
« Reply #179 on: May 10, 2022, 10:45:00 PM »

Yeah, it's too bad the upgrade to US-380 won't initially be built as a 4x4 configuration. At least the highway design allows room for a fourth lane to be added on the inner left in the future. They'll be forced to add that extra lane too in short order. Then they might have to add some elevated express lanes after that.

I don't mind the volleyball interchange at Preston Road since Preston Road isn't a real freeway. Preston Road has a traffic signal just North of its existing interchange with US-380.

If TX DOT can get things going soon on ROW acquisition this project will secure a pretty big chunk of the overall US-380 upgrade between Denton and McKinney. And it may help give the bypass projects for Denton and McKinney some extra momentum.

-- US 175 --

• Location: Somewhere between north-central and east-central TX
  • Last Login: Today at 04:57:21 PM

MaxConcrete

• Last Login: November 30, 2022, 11:56:40 PM
« Reply #181 on: October 07, 2022, 11:08:17 PM »

TxDOT has scheduled a meeting for Spur 399.
https://www.txdot.gov/projects/hearings-meetings/dallas/spur-399-extension.html

The announcement doesn't explicitly say that the orange alternative was selected. However, matching the right-of-way requirement (366.1 acres) and the number of displacements, it is clear the the orange alternative is selected.

The orange alternative goes around the south and east sides of the airport. This is the expected result, based on McKinney's opposition to the purple alternative on the west side of the airport.

https://www.keepitmovingdallas.com/Spur399PublicMeeting

This document (posted today, page 49) lists 2032 as the start date for construction. I was hoping it would start sooner.
https://www.nctcog.org/getmedia/0ca9a7b1-d838-48ec-aab1-a22c25c2ac6f/agendapacketrtc10132022.pdf?ext=.pdf

Page 46 of that document lists 2028 as the construction start of the US 380 McKinney bypass. Cost for the bypass is listed at $844 million, including $417 million for right-of-way. The ROW cost seems high, especially since the main point of the long bypass was to find the path of least resistance (and presumably least ROW cost).

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.