News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Interstate 2

Started by Strider, July 18, 2013, 11:38:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman65

Quote from: NE2 on August 21, 2013, 08:04:08 PM
Is US 83 normally signed east-west there?
I know it was back in the 90's.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

ethanhopkin14

Quote from: NE2 on August 21, 2013, 08:04:08 PM
Is US 83 normally signed east-west there?

Yes, it is signed east/west.

apeman33

I don't think ... no, I'm certain that I have never seen a worse Interstate shield than those wide I-2's.

NE2

Quote from: apeman33 on August 27, 2013, 01:28:57 AM
I don't think ... no, I'm certain that I have never seen a worse Interstate shield than those wide I-2's.
Who's got a photo of the I-290 in Worcester?
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

ethanhopkin14

I received this email from TxDOT regarding signage:

The standard size 24" X 24" shields will be utilized for the IH 2/US 83 route markers along the route and at the frontage road entrance ramps and at the interchange intersections in the urbanized area.  We already have a lot of sign clutter on the highway and the fact that we will also be signing for the "dual designation" which means that we will have both the IH 2 and the US 83 route marker shields hung together on the same mount.  The IH 69C/US 281 and IH 69E/US 77 shields will be 30" X 24" due to the three digits on the road designation.  They are all going to be installed as dual designation on all of the affected roadways.

agentsteel53

Quote from: NE2 on August 27, 2013, 02:59:21 AM

dunno about Worcester, but here is the Brick of Tonawanda.

the worst part is that it replaced this classic.

live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

NE2

Yeah, that one. I thought it replaced the ballsy I-290 in Worcester.

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

agentsteel53

Quote from: NE2 on August 27, 2013, 01:30:11 PM
Yeah, that one. I thought it replaced the ballsy I-290 in Worcester.

this one?

live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

NE2

silverback1065

Quote from: agentsteel53 on August 27, 2013, 01:05:17 PM

the worst part is that it replaced this classic.

Put that awful sign in the worst of signs thread!

Brandon

At first I thought this was a sick joke.  Much agreed, it belongs in the Worst of Road Signs thread.  Hell, it deserves a place of honor there.  X-(
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Bobby5280

Tulsa has had a few overhead big green signs with truly hideous, nowhere near spec, Interstate highway shields. The ones on the East side of town (near the Hard Rock Hotel) were recently replaced with new signs featuring proper looking shields and Clearview Hwy type. There is still at least one abomination I-244 shield left on Westbound I-44 approaching the western terminus of I-244.

There's also some particularly wacky looking I-35 shields on overhead signs as I-44 approaches the Kilpatrick Turnpike/I-35/I-44 interchange.

FightingIrish

That's hilarious!

kkt

Quote from: FightingIrish on August 27, 2013, 06:02:53 PM

That's hilarious!

In a sad sort of way.  Designed by somebody who once had an interstate shield described to them, by a 5-year-old.

vdeane

Quote from: Brandon on August 27, 2013, 05:17:49 PM

At first I thought this was a sick joke.  Much agreed, it belongs in the Worst of Road Signs thread.  Hell, it deserves a place of honor there.  X-(
Hmm... maybe it can't go in worst of road signs then.  The other signs would kick it out because they're too good to be associated with this.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Scott5114

I actually kind of like the idea of using that design as a placeholder for future Interstate highways. It could be stuck over a real shield and popped off to reveal it when the time is right.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

NE2

I'd prefer a grayscale shield as a placeholder.

apeman33

Quote from: NE2 on August 28, 2013, 03:04:21 AM
I'd prefer a grayscale shield as a placeholder.

Like so?

Revive 755

For some reason it looks like something I'd expect Minnesota to accidentally put up.

Quote from: Scott5114 on August 28, 2013, 02:31:11 AM
I actually kind of like the idea of using that design as a placeholder for future Interstate highways. It could be stuck over a real shield and popped off to reveal it when the time is right.

I'd rather see a screw on or sticker method of just placing "interstate" over the Future xx shields North Carolina uses.

NE2

You could also use the German method: just put a thin red X over the shield :bigass:

Alps

Quote from: NE2 on August 28, 2013, 11:21:34 PM
You could also use the German method: just put a thin red X over the shield :bigass:
Red tape works so great.

1995hoo

Not as bad as that "290" thing further up the thread, but I'd put these as being worse than those I-2s. They've been replaced. (Picture from AARoads) I suppose these are supposed to be US shields, not Interstate shields, so they qualify as "worst of US shields," but there's no denying what the shape actually is.

(Also, why is the "1" aligned lower than the other digits?)

"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Henry

Quote from: Revive 755 on August 28, 2013, 11:06:33 PM

For some reason it looks like something I'd expect Minnesota to accidentally put up.
No, it looks more like a MD sign to me.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

PColumbus73

As much as I'm geeking out about the new Interstate 2 signing, I can't help but feel that the new interstate doesn't really serve a purpose outside a glorified 69 spur. If I-2 is to be connected to Interstate 10 in the future, my mindset may change, but for now, I think it's just a symptom of the 69 gluttony in South Texas.

texaskdog

I guess we march to our own drummer

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.