News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Most pretensious highway designations

Started by roadman, July 31, 2013, 07:21:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman65

Quote from: elsmere241 on August 02, 2013, 11:26:29 AM
Quote from: roadman65 on August 01, 2013, 11:15:51 AM
Quote from: kkt on August 01, 2013, 11:07:10 AM
Avenue of the Americas.  Come on, what's wrong with 6th Ave.?

It is 6th Avenue.  It is called by most New Yorkers as such even though the street signs say otherwise.

Don't the signs say both now?  That's my recollection.
I believe they do just as part of 7th Avenue is signed as Fashion Ave.  I cannot remember if solely it was ever signed as Avenue of the Americas though, but that is what I refer to it as.  To me 6th Avenue sounds so foreign just as calling the Thruway I-87.  I know that from NYC to Exit 24 it is indeed I-87, it seems so out of place to call it that.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Ned Weasel

Quote from: bugo on August 02, 2013, 08:16:00 AM
Quote from: stridentweasel on August 01, 2013, 09:37:17 PM
I thought it was called a "Memorial Highway" to memorialize all the people who died in vehicular collisions on an interchange that used to be so God-awful that someone thought it would be really helpful to put call boxes on every ramp and divide the interchange into several "zones," each designated by a letter of the alphabet.

Wrong end of KC.  The interchange in question, which I call and will always call the "Grandview Triangle" is south of downtown Kansas City, Missouri, and the "alphabet loop" is the loop around downtown KC (I-35/I-70/I-670/Alt I-70/US 24/US 169/US 71/US 40 and probably some other US routes that I forgot.)

I remembered it wrong; the zones were given numbers, not letters.  But I was, in fact, talking about the Grandview Triangle.

http://www.okroads.com/063003/enteringtriangle.JPG
"I was raised by a cup of coffee." - Strong Bad imitating Homsar

Disclaimer: Views I express are my own and don't reflect any employer or associated entity.

Scott5114

Quote from: stridentweasel on August 02, 2013, 10:08:47 PM
Quote from: bugo on August 02, 2013, 08:16:00 AM
Quote from: stridentweasel on August 01, 2013, 09:37:17 PM
I thought it was called a "Memorial Highway" to memorialize all the people who died in vehicular collisions on an interchange that used to be so God-awful that someone thought it would be really helpful to put call boxes on every ramp and divide the interchange into several "zones," each designated by a letter of the alphabet.

Wrong end of KC.  The interchange in question, which I call and will always call the "Grandview Triangle" is south of downtown Kansas City, Missouri, and the "alphabet loop" is the loop around downtown KC (I-35/I-70/I-670/Alt I-70/US 24/US 169/US 71/US 40 and probably some other US routes that I forgot.)

I remembered it wrong; the zones were given numbers, not letters.  But I was, in fact, talking about the Grandview Triangle.

http://www.okroads.com/063003/enteringtriangle.JPG

The "ENTERING TRIANGLE" signs are long gone, but the zone numbers are still in place.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

achilles765

A stretch of US 59 south of downtown Houston is designated "Senator Lloyd Bentsen Highway," which is pretentious because no one ever calls it that.  It is the Southwest Freeway.
I love freeways and roads in any state but Texas will always be first in my heart

jp the roadgeek

Quote from: achilles765 on August 04, 2013, 12:24:47 AM
A stretch of US 59 south of downtown Houston is designated "Senator Lloyd Bentsen Highway," which is pretentious because no one ever calls it that.  It is the Southwest Freeway.

Same with the RFK bridge in NYC.  Everyone still calls it the Triboro, including traffic reporters.  Or the Yankee Division Expressway in the Boston area.  Everyone still calls it...and yes most people even want you call it something else than this...Route 128.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

Alps

Quote from: roadman65 on August 02, 2013, 08:41:22 AM
I am not a racist by any means, It is just interesting that Dr. King is not just known as a simple last name.  It might be that the name "King" is also a monarch in many governments, and many just want people to know that it is a person and not the title as King Blvd. King Street, etc. might suggest that.
Yes. This. Kennedy Parkway was renamed JFK Parkway here in Essex County, NJ. (There are several Kennedys.) "MLK" is the most common moniker I see for King, and I'd rather see that on a highway sign than everything spelled out. Frederick Douglass, on the other hand, you can just go with Douglass and it's pretty unambiguous.

Pete from Boston

Quote from: roadman65 on August 02, 2013, 04:35:47 PM
Quote from: elsmere241 on August 02, 2013, 11:26:29 AM
Quote from: roadman65 on August 01, 2013, 11:15:51 AM
Quote from: kkt on August 01, 2013, 11:07:10 AM
Avenue of the Americas.  Come on, what's wrong with 6th Ave.?

It is 6th Avenue.  It is called by most New Yorkers as such even though the street signs say otherwise.

Don't the signs say both now?  That's my recollection.
I believe they do just as part of 7th Avenue is signed as Fashion Ave.  I cannot remember if solely it was ever signed as Avenue of the Americas though, but that is what I refer to it as.  To me 6th Avenue sounds so foreign just as calling the Thruway I-87.  I know that from NYC to Exit 24 it is indeed I-87, it seems so out of place to call it that.

It was not solely signed as Avenue of the Americas at any time I can remember.  It has been a dual designation going back at least three decades.  I don't think the coats-of-arms of all the American countries are still there on the lampposts.  It seemed slightly more evident when they were.

As a kid, I liked the Pan-Americanism about it.  Between the UN and the World's Fair and the rest, it seemed like NY had gone through this big postwar internationalist phase (which was over by my time) and "Avenue of the Americas" felt like part of this.

sp_redelectric

Cesar E. Chavez (insert whatever facility).

The guy was a union organizer (not exactly a "hero"), a Navy sailor (he called it the worst three years of his life), and was an extremely vocal opponent of immigration rights (ironic!), even finding illegal alien farmworkers and turning them into authorities to be immediately deported.  The reason, was that the illegal immigrants took away jobs from his union members.

He only set foot in Oregon one time - yes, just one time - yet there was an extremely outspoken effort to name a street - not just any street, but specific, high profile streets - after the guy.  Portland settled on 39th Avenue for him, and an elementary school.

formulanone

Found this while sorting though my Miami-Dade shots: I know it's more of a local street, but I suppose "Santander-Azcoitia Boulevard" just wasn't long enough?

Appellation Overload by formulanone, on Flickr

1995hoo

"Santander" without the first name makes it sound like a corporate sponsor (the financial institution of that name).
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

roadman

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on August 04, 2013, 10:43:48 AM
Quote from: achilles765 on August 04, 2013, 12:24:47 AM

Same with the RFK bridge in NYC.  Everyone still calls it the Triboro, including traffic reporters.  Or the Yankee Division Expressway in the Boston area.  Everyone still calls it...and yes most people even want you call it something else than this...Route 128.

The Yankee Division Highway designation was actually given to Route 128 between Braintree and Gloucester by the Massachusetts Legislature in the late 1940s, just before they first widened the roadway.  Since the Canton to Peabody section was designated as part of I-95 in 1974, nearly all the memorial markers south of Peabody have been removed.

In the early 1980s, as part of an effort to promote tourism, MassDPW was directed by the Legislature to install large BBS signs at intervals along the "128" section of I-95 indicating "128 America's Technology Highway".  Within six months, the "Highway" portion on these signs was overlaid with "Region" to appease the members and relatives of the National Guard's Yankee Division.  The last of the Technology Region signs was removed, at the direction of FHWA, during the early 1990s sign updates on I-95 between Wellesley and Reading.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

DSS5

This is another local street (in Winston-Salem, NC) but a definite winner.

Not a politician or a sports figure (some kind of minister, so I've heard), but definitely pretentious.

DTComposer

Silicon Valley Boulevard in the southern part of San Jose. It's under a mile long, 10 miles from downtown, used mostly to access one office park and a bunch of residential neighborhoods, and is even further away from what most people consider the "heart" of Silicon Valley (Sunnyvale/Mountain View/Palo Alto).

DSS5

Quote from: DTComposer on August 15, 2013, 11:23:58 AM
Silicon Valley Boulevard in the southern part of San Jose. It's under a mile long, 10 miles from downtown, used mostly to access one office park and a bunch of residential neighborhoods, and is even further away from what most people consider the "heart" of Silicon Valley (Sunnyvale/Mountain View/Palo Alto).

'Silicon Valley Boulevard' sounds more like it should be a main thoroughfare or even a freeway designation.

kkt

Quote from: DSS5 on August 31, 2013, 05:54:42 PM
Quote from: DTComposer on August 15, 2013, 11:23:58 AM

'Silicon Valley Boulevard' sounds more like it should be a main thoroughfare or even a freeway designation.

It would be a good nickname for El Camino.

SteveG1988

NJ Route 70, John Davison Rockefeller Memorial Highway, Memorial for a man who ran standard oil, which was ruled to be a trust and was broken up, but he was also heavily involved in Philanthropy.

So a road in NJ named for a rich guy from new york who ran Standard Oil
Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

DSS5

Quote from: SteveG1988 on August 31, 2013, 10:33:21 PM
NJ Route 70, John Davison Rockefeller Memorial Highway, Memorial for a man who ran standard oil, which was ruled to be a trust and was broken up, but he was also heavily involved in Philanthropy.

Cleveland has a "Carnegie Avenue," named after a guy who made his fortune in Pittsburgh. That's about as incompatible as it gets.

SteveG1988

Quote from: DSS5 on August 31, 2013, 10:43:44 PM
Quote from: SteveG1988 on August 31, 2013, 10:33:21 PM

Cleveland has a "Carnegie Avenue," named after a guy who made his fortune in Pittsburgh. That's about as incompatible as it gets.

That's up there with the vince lombardi service plaza, guy not from NJ, barely did anything sports related in NJ, and then went to greatness elsewhere
Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

Mr_Northside

Quote from: DSS5 on August 31, 2013, 10:43:44 PM

It's quite possible that some of his philanthropic efforts made their way into Cleveland in some form.
I don't have opinions anymore. All I know is that no one is better than anyone else, and everyone is the best at everything

Pete from Boston

Quote from: roadman on July 31, 2013, 07:21:17 PM
(not counting any and all memorials to politicians or sports figures)

My nominee (which I just saw for the first time yesterday afternoon):  Greater Hazelton Chamber Of Commerce Beltway, which now adorns the signs on I-81 for Exit 141 in Hazelton, PA.  And the signs are in Clearview, which makes a bad idea even worse.

Just mentioned in another thread is possibly the most saccharine designation, Hazelton's "Can Do Expressway."  I stopped for a beer in Hazelton once and would have expected the bar to be full of positive civic boosters, but as it turns out, no.

sbeaver44

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

agentsteel53

live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

sbeaver44

Quote from: NE2 on September 09, 2013, 09:01:45 PM
Quote from: sbeaver44 on September 09, 2013, 07:57:36 PM
Not sure if it's still there with the recent roundabout constructed at WV 705 & US 119, but the right turn lane coming off WV 705 was the:

Neil E. Bolyard "Tippy" Buck Turning Lane

https://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ll=39.6439,-79.933906&spn=0.016787,0.042272&sll=41.117935,-77.604698&sspn=4.204125,10.821533&oq=Mileground&hnear=Mileground+Rd,+Morgantown,+West+Virginia&t=m&z=15&layer=c&cbll=39.643963,-79.933983&panoid=ou_ffcir4W4U-YjX9Fmxnw&cbp=12,162.21,,0,0

Holy shit. Which lane did he get?

I always assumed the right lane (both are really long turn lanes) because you had to turn into it rather than the left lane where you just went straight into it, but it could really go either way.

NE2

Quote from: sbeaver44 on September 09, 2013, 09:28:23 PM
I always assumed the right lane (both are really long turn lanes) because you had to turn into it rather than the left lane where you just went straight into it, but it could really go either way.
Are you sure about that? It looks from aerials like both lanes go back all the way to the turn at Van Voorhis.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.