Things you've always wanted to ask, but think it's not worth making a topic for

Started by on_wisconsin, March 02, 2014, 03:07:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

on_wisconsin

There are just some questions Google can't answer, or when there is, it's not in layman's terms. Well, here, you can ask those questions and (hopefully) get answers.
EDIT. Lets try to keep this thread for general questions, no hyper local stuff (i.e. particular intersections/ signs etc).
EDIT 2. No lists of questions. No more then two per post, please. No triple (or more) posting either.

Could a person legally build a publicly open, private road w/ European standards and signage (in the US)?

"Speed does not kill, suddenly becoming stationary... that's what gets you" - Jeremy Clarkson

vdeane

Given all the various signage in business parks, airports, and Disney Land/World, I would assume yes.  I don't know for sure though.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Alps

Pete from Boston

Quote from: Alps on March 03, 2014, 07:08:07 PM
If it's open to the public, it's subject to the MUTCD, so no.

That's interesting.  So shopping centers, hospitals, office parks, etc., are somehow legally beholden to MUTCD rules?  If so, by what legal avenue?  This seems to be a formality at best.

NE2

http://mutcd.fhwa.dot.gov/knowledge/faqs/faq_general.htm#praq1
QuoteOwners or parties responsible for such private roads are encouraged to bring the traffic control devices into compliance with the MUTCD and other applicable State Manuals, and those who do not may find themselves exposed to increased tort liability.

So yes, you legally can.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Jardine

Well, here's something odd I've wondered about:

Vinton Street in Omaha Nebraska crosses Interstate 480 and the overpass is REALLY steeply inclined, for an overpass.  So, in the entire country, what is the steepest grade on an overpass crossing a genuine Interstate ??

(too weird? not weird enough?)

:eyebrow:

74/171FAN

For myself I have been wondering:

Why is Newport News called Newport News?  Obviously I get that Newport came from Christopher Newport but why is News there.

(Note: There is a small area called Newport near the intersection of US 460 and VA 42 in Giles County. It is not an incorporated town so I doubt that it has anything to do with why "News" is in Newport News.)
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

Duke87

Quote from: 74/171FAN on March 03, 2014, 10:55:35 PM
Why is Newport News called Newport News?  Obviously I get that Newport came from Christopher Newport but why is News there.

Not known for sure, several stories exist. Pick one.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

hbelkins

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

agentsteel53

live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

pianocello

Quote from: Jardine on March 03, 2014, 10:21:35 PM
Well, here's something odd I've wondered about:

Vinton Street in Omaha Nebraska crosses Interstate 480 and the overpass is REALLY steeply inclined, for an overpass.  So, in the entire country, what is the steepest grade on an overpass crossing a genuine Interstate ??

I want to say that Fondulac Dr over I-74 in East Peoria, IL is steeper, but it's hard to tell just by eyeballing.

Street View: http://goo.gl/maps/42glv
Davenport, IA -> Valparaiso, IN -> Ames, IA -> Orlando, FL -> Gainesville, FL -> Evansville, IN

NE2

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

1995hoo

I believe Newport News has come up before, but it didn't have its own thread.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

roadman65

Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

NE2

Zeffy

Quote from: roadman65 on March 04, 2014, 04:53:37 PM
Why is Arakansas not spelled the way its sounds?

I read up on this actually. It has something to do with the state government mandating that it be pronounced 'Arr-Can-Saw' while retaining the spelling of 'Arkansas'. I don't remember the exact details, though, so sorry!
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

roadman65

In Kansas it has the Arkansas River, yet in that state they say it as it is spelled.  My friend from Wichita says that is the correct way the state should call itself as well LOL.

Then again why is environment spelled that way when most people say it as envi-or-ment?  Yes, I know we have one person on this forum who stated once before that  he pronounces it as spelled, but I have always heard it as envi- or- ment and never as envi- ron- ment. 
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

NE2

english si

Americans don't get frog pronunciation - hence why they ditched superfluous letters in words derived from Latin or French.

And English, as a language, is not phonetic - there's no such thing as most people not saying it how it is spelled (eg 'environment' with its silent first 'n'). Obviously you can't legitimately pronounce 'Arkansas' as 'Sausage', because that isn't how those letters in that way, in that context, are pronounced. However 'Cholmondeley' can be legitimately pronounced 'Chumley' as is how you pronounce that name.

pianocello

Quote from: roadman65 on March 04, 2014, 05:05:16 PM
Then again why is environment spelled that way when most people say it as envi-or-ment?  Yes, I know we have one person on this forum who stated once before that  he pronounces it as spelled, but I have always heard it as envi- or- ment and never as envi- ron- ment. 

I pronounce it as env-iron-ment (iron, as in the appliance or the metal), so it makes phonetic sense in terms of smaller English words.
Davenport, IA -> Valparaiso, IN -> Ames, IA -> Orlando, FL -> Gainesville, FL -> Evansville, IN

Pete from Boston

Quote from: roadman65 on March 04, 2014, 05:05:16 PMThen again why is environment spelled that way when most people say it as envi-or-ment?  Yes, I know we have one person on this forum who stated once before that  he pronounces it as spelled, but I have always heard it as envi- or- ment and never as envi- ron- ment.

Not sure who "most people" is.  Most people I know say it "en-vyern-ment."  Kind of sounds a bit to me like "Why don't we just spell it 'nucular?'"

hotdogPi

Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

hbelkins

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Brandon

Quote from: english si on March 04, 2014, 05:24:02 PM
Americans don't get frog pronunciation - hence why they ditched superfluous letters in words derived from Latin or French.

We don't?

Mackinac
Charlevoix
Cheboygan
Sault Sainte Marie
Marquette
Joliet (old Frog - now spelled Joliette)
La Salle

Need I go on?

Some are pronounced properly, and some are not, and there is no rhyme nor reason as to why.

Plus, we pronounce "garage" properly.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

1995hoo

Quote from: Brandon on March 05, 2014, 10:06:17 AM
Quote from: english si on March 04, 2014, 05:24:02 PM

We don't?

Mackinac
Charlevoix
Cheboygan
Sault Sainte Marie
Marquette
Joliet (old Frog - now spelled Joliette)
La Salle

Need I go on?

Some are pronounced properly, and some are not, and there is no rhyme nor reason as to why.

Plus, we pronounce "garage" properly.

I once handled a matter in which opposing counsel was located in Albany, New York, and one of the attorneys' first name was "Jean." I had to send a letter about something and I asked my colleague who had previously spoken to them whether "Jean" was a man or a woman. He seemed surprised that anyone would think of the issue, but in that part of the country, relatively close to Quebec, it's a valid question!
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.