News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Biggest claim to fame: control city.

Started by Pete from Boston, March 03, 2014, 03:55:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cpzilliacus

Gibson Island, Maryland, which is the control city at several points along Md. 100.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

swbrotha100

Globe, AZ. Seen driving on US 60 eastbound in the Phoenix area. It's the western end of US 70.

dfwmapper

Globe's biggest claim to fame is the mining industry centered there.

SSOWorld

I-24 NB in Illinois

Interstate 57 (Spelled out!)

NOTE: In KY - at least from Paducah, it's listed as St Louis.

Same token - I-255 (St Louis metro)
Interstate 270

One could wonder about Wis Dells on I-90 NB, but given that's a major tourist stop, it's justified.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

kphoger

Quote from: SSOWorld on March 05, 2015, 02:27:43 PM
One could wonder about Wis Dells on I-90 NB, but given that's a major tourist stop, it's justified.

Yeah, I'd say the Dells' biggest claim to fame is not a highway sign.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

xotoxi

How about Everywhere-South-of-Maine, USA

kphoger

Nope.  I bet residents of Maine are familiar with the other 47 states for reasons other than a highway sign.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

thenetwork

[/quote]

That sign is interesting in the fact that this sign possesses an exit arrow, yet there is no "exit" nor an exit lane for what looks to be at least another 1/2 mile.  Ditch the exit arrow and add either an actual distance to the actual "exit" or a KEEP RIGHT/NEXT EXIT.

The Nature Boy

Quote from: thenetwork on March 05, 2015, 04:24:07 PM

That sign is interesting in the fact that this sign possesses an exit arrow, yet there is no "exit" nor an exit lane for what looks to be at least another 1/2 mile.  Ditch the exit arrow and add either an actual distance to the actual "exit" or a KEEP RIGHT/NEXT EXIT.
[/quote]

And use Portsmouth and Boston as control cities there.

Damn

Zzonkmiles

Quote from: Alex on March 08, 2014, 09:36:20 AM
Fort Chiswell, Virginia for I-77 north. Plus a long time ago, Elkin, NC:

I was just about to post Elkin too, but I checked all the earlier pages of this thread to make sure it wasn't already mentioned. And sure enough.

But FWIW, Elkin is still the control city for I-77 north of I-40. I personally think they should list Charleston, WV instead.

I suppose I'd also add Florence, SC to the list simply because it's the largest city I-95 passes through or near between Savannah and Richmond.

The Nature Boy

South Carolina really lost out on I-95 routing, didn't they?

xotoxi

hbelkins

Quote from: Zzonkmiles on March 05, 2015, 11:34:57 PM
But FWIW, Elkin is still the control city for I-77 north of I-40. I personally think they should list Charleston, WV instead.

Is Charleston posted at the split of I-81 south and I-77 north? I can't remember.

Even if Charleston is posted in North Carolina or Virginia, once I-77 gets to West Virginia it's going to play third fiddle to Bluefield and Beckley.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Zzonkmiles

Quote from: hbelkins on March 06, 2015, 02:44:05 PM

Is Charleston posted at the split of I-81 south and I-77 north? I can't remember.

Even if Charleston is posted in North Carolina or Virginia, once I-77 gets to West Virginia it's going to play third fiddle to Bluefield and Beckley.

I seem to remember Charlotte being posted as the control city for I-77 south at the I-81 split. And I remember Beckley being posted for I-77 north of that split. Charlotte might even be posted at the I-77/64 split as well. I remember this because I saw "Charlotte N.C." on a sign bridge.

cl94

Quote from: xotoxi on March 06, 2015, 01:56:34 PM
Houlton

[img snipped]

What else are they supposed to use north of Bangor? Woodstock? (the end of NB 95 and smaller than Houlton.) Fredericton? (a good 110 km or so into Canada via NB 2.) Moncton or Halifax? (both quite a ways away.) MaineDOT doesn't have much of a choice and it's probably better to use a US destination rather than a city in Canada that isn't directly accessible.

Using "Montreal" (as on I-87) is one thing because it's a huge city whose metro area begins less than 50 km north of the border. Granted, I always thought that Saratoga or Glens Falls/Lake George should have been a control (or more prominent secondary) south of the respective cities/towns because of the tourist draw, but the logic makes sense.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

Pete from Boston

Quote from: cl94 on March 06, 2015, 05:07:27 PM
Houlton

[img snipped]

What else are they supposed to use north of Bangor? Woodstock? (the end of NB 95 and smaller than Houlton.) Fredericton? (a good 110 km or so into Canada via NB 2.) Moncton or Halifax? (both quite a ways away.) MaineDOT doesn't have much of a choice and it's probably better to use a US destination rather than a city in Canada that isn't directly accessible.

Keep in mind of the point of the thread is not "Are these good choices for control cities?" but "Are these better known for being a control city than for anything else?"

I think Houlton might very well be best known for being where 95 goes, so I think it is a pretty good candidate for this thread.

amroad17

Quote from: Zzonkmiles on March 06, 2015, 04:48:53 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on March 06, 2015, 02:44:05 PM

I seem to remember Charlotte being posted as the control city for I-77 south at the I-81 split. And I remember Beckley being posted for I-77 north of that split. Charlotte might even be posted at the I-77/64 split as well. I remember this because I saw "Charlotte N.C." on a sign bridge.
It was when I drove through there in August 2012.  It is (was) at the gore point along with Bluefield listed above it.  However, the post-interchange mileage signs list local point first, Bluefield second, and Beckley third for I-77 from I-81 north to the VA/WV line.  Charleston is not listed until after Exit 1 in WV (98 miles).  Charlotte is the control point for I-77 south of I-81.
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

discochris

Quote from: hobsini2 on March 03, 2014, 07:08:51 PM
Albert Lea MN and Tomah WI come to mind.

Albert Lea has been a pet peeve of mine for years, even before I knew what a control city was.
It should be Des Moines, but Minnesota is extremely provincial about their control city signs.

Another annoying one is westbound 94 leaving the Twin Cities. It should say Fargo. Instead it says St. Cloud.  Even worse, westbound from St. Cloud says Moorhead, rather than Fargo.  Moorhead, MN is a city of about 30,000 across the river from Fargo, ND. Fargo is around 110,000 people. That, is provincial.

Interesting one is westbound 94 out of Bismarck. Signage is Billings - 415 miles away, but there's so little in between...

J Route Z

Houlton

For a split second that looked like Iunno (like I dunno) 

SignGeek101

Houlton

I'm pretty sure that's there because its a border town. They could have easily put "Woodstock NB" or "Canada" (not a fan of it, but it's done quite a bit).

Brandon

Quote from: SSOWorld on March 05, 2015, 02:27:43 PM
I-24 NB in Illinois

Interstate 57 (Spelled out!)

NOTE: In KY - at least from Paducah, it's listed as St Louis.

Same token - I-255 (St Louis metro)
Interstate 270

I-180 gets Hennepin and Interstate 80.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

roadman65

Mahwah, NJ has become famous on highway signs since I-287 connected to I-87.  True NJDOT also assigned it to NJ 4 signage for NJ 17 as well, but that was around the same time as  287 opened as before it previously used "Suffern."  Also to mention most side roads (unless NJDOT updated them as well) along NJ 17 still use "Suffern" up to Franklin Turnpike in Ramsey where  after that going NB "NY Thruway" is control city from there to the NY Border.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Molandfreak

Quote from: discochris on May 20, 2015, 11:29:18 PM
Quote from: hobsini2 on March 03, 2014, 07:08:51 PM
Albert Lea MN and Tomah WI come to mind.
Albert Lea has been a pet peeve of mine for years, even before I knew what a control city was.
It should be Des Moines, but Minnesota is extremely provincial about their control city signs.
Albert Lea is rarely a useful control point from the north anyway. To get to Sioux Falls, take 169/60/90. To get to Rochester, take 52. To get to Austin, take 218.
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 05, 2023, 08:24:57 PM
AASHTO attributes 28.5% of highway inventory shrink to bad road fan social media posts.

route17fan

This may not count - as it is at an airport, but I have always loved having two interstates with a control point...of a Cell Phone Lot!  :-D

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.998686,-82.897969,3a,18.7y,72.94h,89.06t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sgGHcNobaAjhFzdSg-XGGaw!2e0
John Krakoff - Cleveland, Ohio

achilles765

Quote from: golden eagle on March 03, 2014, 09:36:53 PM
McComb, MS.

In regards to Effingham, maybe it's a control city due to being at the interchange of two interstates. Even with that in mind, Memphis and Chicago are still the primary control cities on I-57.

Heh. I grew up around McComb, MS. And I agree.
I love freeways and roads in any state but Texas will always be first in my heart

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.