News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Longest Street name in Your Area

Started by SignGeek101, January 23, 2015, 10:08:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheStranger

Chris Sampang

PHLBOS

While not in my immediate area, this one in PA always caught my eye while riding along the Turnpike.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

empirestate

Quote from: PHLBOS on January 27, 2015, 01:23:02 PM
While not in my immediate area, this one in PA always caught my eye while riding along the Turnpike.

PA does tend to have long town names of that style–a long-ish surname followed by "-sville", "-sburg", "-stown" and the like–and that's a good example. McConnellsburg is another.

Brandon

Quote from: BelpheniaProject on January 24, 2015, 03:32:27 PM
The longest one I can think of is Michigan City Road in my area.
https://www.google.com/maps/@41.6119,-87.55895,3a,75y,357.2h,80.83t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sZQu22ZvmBifV61o-kQKwiw!2e0

We could inlcude the Bishop Louis Henry Ford Freeway in your area as well.  I prefer just Calumet Expressway, but I digress.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

countysigns

We have some pretty long road names in Lucas County, like Archbold-Whitehouse or Waterville-Swanton or even Neapolis-Waterville but the longest in the county is this one:

http://tinyurl.com/qj9zajy

Providence-Neapolis-Swanton Road, sometimes abbreviated as Prov-Neap-Swan Road or P-N-S Road.

KG909

Probably San Bernardino Ave, I'll look for longer, though.
~Fuccboi

DevalDragon

Miamisburg - Centerville Road Road and Cincinnati - Dayton Road in SW Ohio are my 2 favorites for long names.

vtk

Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

tckma

Growing up on Long Island, I often wondered if there was ever a longer street name than Bread and Cheese Hollow Road.

Then, when I moved to Massachusetts in 2000, I found the Old Road to Nine Acre Corner, abbreviated on blade signs to Old Road To 9 A.C.

US 41

In Illinois there is a Lower Terre Haute Road and in Vigo County there is a Lower Bloomington Road. Those are probably the two longest in my area.
Visited States and Provinces:
USA (48)= All of Lower 48
Canada (5)= NB, NS, ON, PEI, QC
Mexico (9)= BCN, BCS, CHIH, COAH, DGO, NL, SON, SIN, TAM

noelbotevera

Mallard Drive East. That's almost as long as Chambersburg. It's in my neighborhood and is probably the longest street name in a 5 mile radius from my house. If you want my area, Buchanan Highway (in Greencastle) takes the cake.
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

(Recently hacked. A human operates this account now!)

Rothman

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Scott5114

Norman has an arterial named Chautauqua Avenue (10), which turns into Bratcher Miner Road (13 not counting the space).

I'm sure a good number of cities have a Pennsylvania (12). Oklahoma City does, but most people just call it Penn.

Kansas City, KS has a Metropolitan (12). Out in the Johnson County suburbs, there's Shawnee Mission Parkway (14), which KDOT has both spelled out in full across three lines and abbreviated to "Sh Mn Pky".
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Thing 342

Hampton Roads Center Parkway
Commander Shepard Boulevard
George Washington Memorial Highway
Monitor-Merrimac Memorial Bridge-Tunnel

busman_49

Mulberry Grove-Rakestraw Rd. outside of Piqua, OH, is one that stands out in my mind.  Doesn't exactly roll off the tongue either  :spin:

Rothman

I suppose there's Troy-Schenectady Road and Watervliet-Shaker Road around here, too.  Still, every time I pass that Brunswick Sportsman Club Road, it sticks out to me.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

slorydn1

Dover-Fort Barnwell Road in the western part of my county is the one that comes to mind for me.

Oh, and of course the ubiquitous Dr Martin Luther King Junior Blvd-I almost forgot it because everyone short hands it as MLK anyway.
Please Note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of any governmental agency, non-governmental agency, quasi-governmental agency or wanna be governmental agency

Counties: Counties Visited

The High Plains Traveler

Pueblo CO: Red Creek Springs Road. I might find a longer name on one of the streets named for an individual but one doesn't come to mind at the moment.
"Tongue-tied and twisted; just an earth-bound misfit, I."

clong

I would submit the intersection in Birmingham, AL, which until 10 years ago or so would have been 21st St N and 8th Ave N, but is now Richard Arrington Jr Blvd N and Reverend Abraham Woods Jr Blvd N.

Also in the suburb of Homewood, there are some sections that name streets for the 2 streets they are between which produce a lot of long names. Sutherland Manhattan is between Sutherland Pl and Manhattan St for example.

Bruce

Martin Luther King Jr. Way South was the longest name in Seattle until South Roberto Maestas Festival Street was designated on a one-block stretch of South Lander Street on Beacon Hill:

South Roberto Maestas Festival Street by SounderBruce, on Flickr

kphoger

Quote from: SignGeek101 on January 23, 2015, 10:08:29 PM
When I say street name, I mean don't include the words "road, street parkway" etc.

Chancellor Matheson Road is the longest one I can think of.

Fail.

For Wichita, "George Washington" is pretty long, but a lot of the signs abbreviate it to "Geo Wash".
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Charles2

Hoover, AL (suburban Birmingham): Rocky Ridge Ranch Road.  19 letters, 3 spaces, and alliterative, to boot.  :)

mariethefoxy

Long Island ones

Quaker Meeting House Road
Bread and Cheese Hollow Road
Moriches Middle Island Road
Patchogue-Holbrook Road

NYC ones
Dr Theodore Kazmiroff Blvd in the Bronx
Van Cortlandt Park East

kj3400

The only ones I can think of are:
Baltimore National Pike
Baltimore Washington Parkway
Baltimore-Annapolis Boulevard
Governor Ritchie Highway

though all of these are usually abbreviated on signs.
Call me Kenny/Kenneth. No, seriously.

tckma

Quote from: kj3400 on June 22, 2016, 04:24:11 AM
Baltimore-Annapolis Boulevard

I'm sure there are a lot of lazy town-to-town named roads, particularly in rural areas.  Off the top of my head, here in Carroll County we have Keysville-Bruceville Road, which apparently needed two blade signs to fit.  (Francis Scott Key Highway, I've found, is generally abbreviated on blade signs as "F.S.K. Hwy.")

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.