News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Largest waste of money for roads in your state?

Started by codyg1985, February 03, 2015, 06:52:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

US 41

Quote from: kphoger on February 07, 2015, 02:33:03 PM
^^ I got a day-pass as soon as they took out the toll booths, having only used it once when it was still an option to pay cash.  The only answer I can provide is only sort of an answer, because I do have a day pass account.  Allow me to detail my history with TX-255.  Here goes...

2009 - Used TX-255 SB and NB - Our van alone - paid cash

between 2009 and 2010 - Toll booths removed, cash no longer an option

2010 - I set up a day pass account, including our van and our friend's dad's Honda

2010 - Used TX-255 SB and NB - Our van plus his Honda

2011 - I changed my account info, removing the Honda and adding our friend's pickup, also changing our license plate number

2011 - Used TX-255 NB only, having arrived at Colombia via Mines Road on the southbound portion - Our van plus his pickup

2012 - I changed my account info, removing the pickup and adding our youth pastor's SUV, also changing our address

2012 - Used TX-255 SB and NB - Our van plus his SUV

2013 - Used TX-255 SB and NB - Our van only

2014 - I changed my account info, removing the SUV and adding our friend's pickup back on

2014 - Used Pay-by-Mail lanes on TX-130 SB only (Georgetown to Seguin), then TX-255 SB and NB - our van plus his pickup

As you can see, I milked the Camino Colombia Day Pass for all it's worth.  Now for the pertinent part:

Shortly after returning to Wichita in 2014, I received the bill for having used the Pay-by-Mail lanes on TX-130.  This is what I expected.  What came as a surprise is that there were also charges for TX-255 dating clear back to 2010, and I believe they were for more than just our own van but the other vehicles as well.  Apparently–either through my fault or TxTag's (my account history, admittedly, was very confusing)–at various points, TxTag had the wrong license plate(s) on file for my account.  Since TxTag and its associate collections agencies do not have access to Kansas DMV information, they could not determine an address to send any of those bills to; so they just held on to them until I unwittingly straightened it all out last year.  If I'm not mistaken, my friend never got a bill in the mail for using TX-130 last year, but I can't remember if his charges were on my bill or not.  It seems to me that, every so often, TxTag saw one of out vehicles drive under the TX-255 gantry, found no account matching the license plate number, then held the charges until that license plate number suddently matched account a few years later.

What have I learned from this experience?
(1) It is possible to receive a bill in the mail for using TX-255.
(2) TxTag lumps charges from TX-255 and other toll roads together on a statement.

What I still don't know for sure:
Assuming TxTag has access to your address from the DMV, will they still send you a bill for TX-255 even if you have no account?  This is only an issue if you live in Texas or a state whose DMV has an agreement with TxTag.  If you live in a different state (no agreement), then it is widely reported you will never receive a bill.  I do suspect, however, that those unpaid tolls would show up if ever you decided to open an account of any sort with TxTag.

I'll probably end up just getting a day pass, so I don't have to worry about whether or not they send me a bill in the mail.    If I was to take it twice I would just have to pay $7.98 right? The transponder doesn't cost anything extra does it?
Visited States and Provinces:
USA (48)= All of Lower 48
Canada (5)= NB, NS, ON, PEI, QC
Mexico (9)= BCN, BCS, CHIH, COAH, DGO, NL, SON, SIN, TAM

RG407

I fully agree on all points!

I have long thought the Orlando-Orange County Expressway Authority's sole mission is to build more and more roads in order to justify its existence.  We'll see if the Central Florida Expressway Authority is any better.  I suspect it won't be.

Quote from: roadman65 on February 04, 2015, 09:35:59 AM
Oh yes and those towers that are supposed to look like Cable Stay Bridge towers on the long Lake Underhill Causeway on the Four oh Eight, are money that should have never been spent. 

It was to create a gateway to Orlando from the east for travelers heading into O Town on FL 408, but it really does not do much for the road.  Heck those ugly spires on the Conroy Road overpass (which I hate too) do more for aesthetics than these eyesores for a gateway into the city.

Then how about the FL 451 project taking away the bridges that carried the former FL 429 over FL 414 when the new FL 429 was built to Plymouth to align itself with the future Wekiva Parkway project?  Those particular bridges were fairly new and constructed only a few years prior to their destruction.

Plus the elimination of the high speed connection between FL 408 E Bound and FL 417 N Bound using the old E-W Expressway grade, as well as its counterpart from FL 417 S Bound to FL 408 W Bound?  Thus removing a totally freeway grade for a good distance all in favor a flyover ramps at another location.   

I call all of these a total waste!

Duke87

Quote from: SP Cook on February 06, 2015, 07:19:03 AM
OH 32's problem is that it just ends at the Cincy Beltway, which there is still farm land inside the Beltway on the east side of the metro area.  They need to build an expressway from the JCT of 32 to US 50.

What I find odd is that OH 32 got the ARC corridor treatment while US 50, sorta parallel (certainly as much a potential through route between Cincinnati and Parkersburg), was left as a 2 lane road. What gives with that?
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

NE2

Quote from: Duke87 on February 09, 2015, 12:16:50 AM
What I find odd is that OH 32 got the ARC corridor treatment while US 50, sorta parallel (certainly as much a potential through route between Cincinnati and Parkersburg), was left as a 2 lane road. What gives with that?
No different from US 22-62, not US 42, getting the Interstate between Cinci and Columbus. Someone made the decision that a partly-new corridor between Cinci and Albany would be more feasible, or better serve political donors, or whatever.

What gets me is that Corridors D and H do not line up. I know H was originally planned via Petersburg, but a route along US 50 from Bridgeport to Mount Storm would add only 10 miles to the Charleston-DC distance. But I guess Corridor D traffic bound for DC can use I-68.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

codyg1985

Quote from: Duke87 on February 09, 2015, 12:16:50 AM
Quote from: SP Cook on February 06, 2015, 07:19:03 AM
OH 32's problem is that it just ends at the Cincy Beltway, which there is still farm land inside the Beltway on the east side of the metro area.  They need to build an expressway from the JCT of 32 to US 50.

That is going to ruin me being able to clinch US 50 in Ohio on my way back from Scranton. Since I need to cover more ground in a short amount of time, it looks like OH 32 will be my route.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

Roadsguy

Probably not the biggest waste, but the PTC is building a large toll plaza (and lengthened two bridges more than they otherwise would be for it) on the Turnpike in Bensalem as part of the I-95/PA Turnpike project. While it's necessary now, it'll be completely useless with the planned conversion to all-electronic tolling.
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

hbelkins

Quote from: codyg1985 on February 09, 2015, 07:24:53 AM
That is going to ruin me being able to clinch US 50 in Ohio on my way back from Scranton. Since I need to cover more ground in a short amount of time, it looks like OH 32 will be my route.

US 50 is not that bad of a route, although you can't make the same time on it that you can on OH 32. What parts do you lack on 50?

I'd driven 50 between Chillicothe and Corridor D several years ago; on my way back from one of the midwest meets a few years ago (I think Dubuque) I drove 50 from Lawrenceburg, Ind. to Chillicothe to finish the clinch. I made decent time on a damp Sunday afternoon.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

kphoger

Quote from: US 41 on February 08, 2015, 06:54:11 PM

I'll probably end up just getting a day pass, so I don't have to worry about whether or not they send me a bill in the mail.    If I was to take it twice I would just have to pay $7.98 right? The transponder doesn't cost anything extra does it?

I'm confused by your question. The reason a person would get a Camino Colombia day pass is that he doesn't have or want a TxTag. So... if you're planning to get a day pass, then there's no transponder. You just prepay money into an account, the camera reads your license plate, and money is taken out of your account. Rinse and repeat as necessary.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Bitmapped

Quote from: hbelkins on February 09, 2015, 10:59:21 AM

US 50 is not that bad of a route, although you can't make the same time on it that you can on OH 32. What parts do you lack on 50?

I'd driven 50 between Chillicothe and Corridor D several years ago; on my way back from one of the midwest meets a few years ago (I think Dubuque) I drove 50 from Lawrenceburg, Ind. to Chillicothe to finish the clinch. I made decent time on a damp Sunday afternoon.

I've driven US 50 between Chillicothe and SR 32 a couple times.  Aside from going through McArthur, you shouldn't have much trouble maintaining 55mph. FWIW, when the 2-lane bypass east of Londonderry was built, the state actually bought 4-lanes worth of right of way although I'm sure it'll never be used.

codyg1985

Quote from: hbelkins on February 09, 2015, 10:59:21 AM

I have just recently started my quest to clinch US 50. I clinched a good bit of it in Indiana last month (between Loogootee, IN and Dillsboro, IN). On my trip back, I will be clinching it between Clarksburg, WV and where it splits off from OH 32 at Athens, OH. If I have time, I will try and get all of it in the Cincy metro on my way back, but I am not sure I will have the time, especially with my plan to take US 27 south of Cincy to clinch three counties I am missing in Kentucky.

EDIT: Changed Dillsboro, OH to Dillsboro, IN.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

vdeane

Quote from: Roadsguy on February 09, 2015, 10:28:06 AM
Probably not the biggest waste, but the PTC is building a large toll plaza (and lengthened two bridges more than they otherwise would be for it) on the Turnpike in Bensalem as part of the I-95/PA Turnpike project. While it's necessary now, it'll be completely useless with the planned conversion to all-electronic tolling.
Seriously?  I think you just won the thread; given the relative completion dates for the first phase of the interchange and the conversion to AET, the PTC is going to have to demolish those booths before they would even be opened in the first place.  Talk about a waste of money!
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

hbelkins

Quote from: codyg1985 on February 09, 2015, 01:34:15 PM
I have just recently started my quest to clinch US 50. I clinched a good bit of it in Indiana last month (between Loogootee, IN and Dillsboro, IN). On my trip back, I will be clinching it between Clarksburg, WV and where it splits off from OH 32 at Athens, OH. If I have time, I will try and get all of it in the Cincy metro on my way back, but I am not sure I will have the time, especially with my plan to take US 27 south of Cincy to clinch three counties I am missing in Kentucky.

US 27 south of Cincinnati is a pretty easy drive as well. Once you get out of the built-up area, you can make good time except in the towns (Falmouth, Cynthiana and the southern part of Paris). Cynthiana has the state's newest roundabout (speaking of wastes of money) where US 27 and US 62 intersect on the south side of town.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

GCrites

I miss the primitive rest areas on US-50 between Cincy and Chillicothe.

Brandon

For Illinois, I'd have to say the Amstutz Expressway through downtown Waukegan.  There was little point to the freeway, it really serves a minimal purpose, and it only serves to further cut off downtown Waukegan from the lakefront.  As it currently exists, it's good for a movie set.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

mgk920

Quote from: Brandon on February 10, 2015, 12:59:25 PM
For Illinois, I'd have to say the Amstutz Expressway through downtown Waukegan.  There was little point to the freeway, it really serves a minimal purpose, and it only serves to further cut off downtown Waukegan from the lakefront.  As it currently exists, it's good for a movie set.

And was used as such in The Blues Brothers, right?

Anyways, the Amstutz was planned to be part of a much more extensive network of highways in eastern Lake County and extending into Wisconsin.

Mike

Henry

As badly needed as it is, the Alaskan Way tunnel has become a huge pain in the ass, and Bertha may be part of the problem there.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

jeffandnicole

Quote from: vdeane on February 09, 2015, 03:05:44 PM
Quote from: Roadsguy on February 09, 2015, 10:28:06 AM
Seriously?  I think you just won the thread; given the relative completion dates for the first phase of the interchange and the conversion to AET, the PTC is going to have to demolish those booths before they would even be opened in the first place.  Talk about a waste of money!

Nah. The interchange will be completed in 2013; on time and under budget, well ahead of the AET conversion.  In fact, if there's any delays, no doubt they'll incorporate the future possibilities into the project. 

Heck, the way that project is going, pavement and bridges won't be necessary.  Flying cars will rule the sky.

PHLBOS

Quote from: jeffandnicole on February 10, 2015, 02:52:03 PMHeck, the way that project is going, pavement and bridges won't be necessary.  Flying cars will rule the sky.
Wasn't that supposed to happen this year per Back to the Future 2:sombrero:
GPS does NOT equal GOD

cl94

Back on topic, the Dunn Memorial Bridge (Bridge to Nowhere) in Albany and its short expressway continuation. Greatly overbuilt in anticipation of a freeway connection and host to several structural problems, including a set of girders slipping off their support in 2005.

Wouldn't necessarily build a low-level bridge, but a 4-lane bridge that blends better on the Rensselaer end wouldn't hurt.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

Mileage Mike

I-73/74

For all of the money poured into these two highways, NC could've probably already made US 74 a freeway between Asheville and Wilmington.  There's a reason why no other state has bothered to build their portions of these highways.

DeaconG

Quote from: roadman65 on February 04, 2015, 09:35:59 AM
Oh yes and those towers that are supposed to look like Cable Stay Bridge towers on the long Lake Underhill Causeway on the Four oh Eight, are money that should have never been spent. 

It was to create a gateway to Orlando from the east for travelers heading into O Town on FL 408, but it really does not do much for the road.  Heck those ugly spires on the Conroy Road overpass (which I hate too) do more for aesthetics than these eyesores for a gateway into the city.

Then how about the FL 451 project taking away the bridges that carried the former FL 429 over FL 414 when the new FL 429 was built to Plymouth to align itself with the future Wekiva Parkway project?  Those particular bridges were fairly new and constructed only a few years prior to their destruction.

Plus the elimination of the high speed connection between FL 408 E Bound and FL 417 N Bound using the old E-W Expressway grade, as well as its counterpart from FL 417 S Bound to FL 408 W Bound?  Thus removing a totally freeway grade for a good distance all in favor a flyover ramps at another location.   

I call all of these a total waste!

And if you notice when you take the loop ramp from the 417 to the 408 westbound and pass under the 417 you see what looks like the beginning of a future set of ramps that will be high-speed flyovers to the 408 westbound...except how in the hell are you going to build it when you'd have to reconstruct the interchange AGAIN to use it?

Also, the Goldenrod Extension to Heintzelman Boulevard...gee, you think that was a bright idea when I can use SR 15 or 436 to avoid the toll booth? Duh.
Dawnstar: "You're an ape! And you can talk!"
King Solovar: "And you're a human with wings! Reality holds surprises for everyone!"
-Crisis On Infinite Earths #2

KEK Inc.

Big Bertha and the unenforced variable speed signs in WA.

iPhone
Take the road less traveled.

kenarmy

Interstate 269. Yeah Yeah, DeVoLpMeNt but most of its exits are unnecessary.

But I think the cake goes to Galleria Parkway and Parkway E in Madison. It is a really nice parkway, but there's like nothing on it, or nothing parkway worthy anyway.
Just a reminder that US 6, 49, 50, and 98 are superior to your fave routes :)

EXTEND 206 SO IT CAN MEET ITS PARENT.

Great Lakes Roads

Indiana: the Cline Avenue Bridge (both the original and the current bridge)

wanderer2575

As long as this was just bumped:

In Michigan, current is the upcoming project to fill the US-31 freeway gap in Berrien County.  Comparing what's going to be built (not what maybe we wanted built in 2003) to the current "temporary" connection along Napier Avenue will knock off maybe two minutes of travel time for an AADT count of about 11,000 -- more than carried on a rural trunkline but in my opinion not enough to justify the expense at this point.

Next would be the north-south M-5 "Haggerty Connector" between I-96/I-275/I-696 and Pontiac Trail in Novi and Commerce Township.  I agree the road should have been built, but it was overbuilt:  Four lanes in each direction, plus a completely unnecessary C/D setup at 12 Mile Road that added unneccesary lanes and two overpass bridges.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.