News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Favorite/least favorite segments of 2dis?

Started by Zeffy, March 21, 2015, 10:59:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeffy

NOTE: Since "2di" is an ambiguous term, here it means "2-digit Interstate", not just a "2-digit" road.

The comments in the 2di rankings thread, specifically how I-95 south of Richmond in the Carolinas suck majorly, got me thinking - which segments of the primary Interstates are the best, and which ones are the worst? Of course, that's a matter of opinion, so which are your favorite segments of 2dis - and the ones you hate the most? Some factors to help you think about it would be scenery, traffic, ruralness, etc.

I'll start. Excuse the lack of my own input, because I've barely left this state.

Interstate 95

Favorite:

• Maryland - Through the Baltimore area
  • Maryland/Virginia - Capital Beltway (yeah, call me crazy, but I really like that section for some reason)
Least Favorite:

• New Jersey - North of Exit 12 on the Turnpike. Protip: Don't ride with your windows down!  X-(
  • Delaware - The entire roadway (55 MPH speed limit? Seriously?)

Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

The Nature Boy

Least Favorite (in no particular order)

- The New York Thruway from Angola to Albany - just a boring stretch with nothing interesting to see. West of Albany, you get the Berkshires and those are breath-taking.

- I-95 south of Richmond, VA through North and South Carolina, just a long, boring stretch filled with pine trees and not much else.

- The New Jersey Turnpike

Favorites

- I-89 from White River Junction to Burlington, Vermont. Just beautiful landscape, nothing like it on the east coast.

- I-89 from Concord, NH to Lebanon, NH is also beautiful but I like the above stretch more so I separated them.

- I-93 north of Concord, NH is also a beautiful stretch of interstate.

---

As you can see, I'm partial to mountainous, sparsely traveled roads.

TEG24601

Least Favorite - I-94 from Billings to Fargo

Most Favorite - I-84 from Portland to Ontario
They said take a left at the fork in the road.  I didn't think they literally meant a fork, until plain as day, there was a fork sticking out of the road at a junction.

pianocello

Least favorite - I-74 between the Quad Cities and Peoria

Favorite - I-40 through the Smokies
Davenport, IA -> Valparaiso, IN -> Ames, IA -> Orlando, FL -> Gainesville, FL -> Evansville, IN

NE2

Another clarification for the anals: '2DI' always includes one-digit Interstates.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

KG909

Favorite I-15 through El Cajon in California.

No current least favorite.
~Fuccboi

kkt

I-5 favorite: Chuckanut Mountain section, Burlington to Bellingham WA.  Least favorite: Hm. Willamette Valley, I guess.  But if I'd been south of Tracy recently, it probably would be.

JakeFromNewEngland

Favorite:

The whole stretch of I-87 is one of my all time favorites. You get to see NYC, the Catskills, the Adirondacks, and so much more.

I-90/Mass Pike is another one of my favorite stretches, especially in the Berkshires and Boston.

I-91 between Hartford and Springfield is one of the most modern roads in CT and I always enjoy seeing it.

Least Favorite

I-95 between Branford and the RI border. It's literally nothing. The only excitement you get is in New London, but then it turns back to rural scenery.

I-95 through Providence can be hell sometimes. As much as I love urban freeways, I-95 through Providence is one of the worst. It's always full of traffic and you can be stuck in rush hour (this always happens when we go to the Cape) for a long period of time.

briantroutman

Favorite:
I'd have to give some thought to it–off the cuff, I'd probably say either
I-76 between roughly Blue Mountain and Donegal, or
I-80 from US 15 westward to about Clarion

Least Favorite:
No question or hesitation here–I-5 between CA 99 and I-580.

oscar

My favorite and least favorite 2di segments anywhere in the U.S. happen to both be on I-70:

Favorite:  I-70 through Colorado's Glenwood Canyon (honorable mention to I-70 in Utah through the San Rafael Swell west of Green River).

Least favorite:  I-70 in Pennsylvania west of New Stanton (dishonorable mentions to I-70 in PA through and south of Breezewood, and the Cross-Bronx Expy. segment of I-95 in New York City).
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

TheCatalyst31

Favorite: Probably I-64 from Beckley to Lewisburg, an underrated part of the Appalachians.

Least favorite: I-57 from Kankakee to Champaign, with a dishonorable mention for all the other dull, flat Midwestern interstates.

cl94

Favorites:
I-87
I-90 between I-787 and I-91. You get everything.
I-88 (NY)
I-77 between Charleston and the NC line

If we're including future Interstates, Future I-86 east of I-81 and Future I-99 (the US 15 segment)

Least favorite:
I-90 between Utica and the PA line. Little more than swamps, suburbs, and farms.
I-80 in PA. So many elevation changes but you see nothing more than trees.
Most of I-75 in Ohio. Boring as can be.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

Buck87

Favorite: I-26 from Mars Hill, NC to Erwin, TN

Least Favorite: I-55 from Joliet to Bloomington

SSOWorld

Tops: I-70 in Western CO (particularly Glenwood Canyon), I-15 in AZ, I_15 in CA: after dark

Bottom: I-57 south of I-74, I-80 in NE, I-5 in in LA Metro, I-80 anywhere in CA.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

kurumi

Favorite: H-3

Unfavorite: I-80, Pennsylvania
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Zeffy on March 21, 2015, 10:59:19 AM
    • Delaware - The entire roadway (55 MPH speed limit? Seriously?)

Hopefully by this summer that'll change!

corco

Favorites:
    I-90 west of I-82
    I-15 in AZ
    I-90 from Spokane to Missoula

Least favorites:
    I-84 in Idaho
    I-76 in Colorado
    I-70 from I-135 to Denver

1995hoo

Favorites:

• The Adirondack Northway portion of I-87 due primarily to scenery. I also like how you come down out of the mountains, hit Clinton County, and start seeing the bilingual signs–it tells you you're almost to Canada.
    • I-85 between Salisbury and the I-40 split west of Durham (wide, good condition, fast road)
    • I-68 (because it's not I-70/Pennsylvania Turnpike and because it's reasonably scenic)

Least favorites:

• I-81 between Roanoke and I-66 due mainly to the volume of truck traffic on a route with only two lanes per side–it causes a lot of very stupid driving by a lot of people.
    • I-95 between New York City and New Haven (I hate it so much I just don't use it in favor of the Merritt/Wilbur Cross combination)
    • I-70 from Hancock to Breezewood (speed limit too low, heavy volume, I-68 is nicer)
    • I-95 in Prine George's County, Maryland (part of the Beltway; just a very dangerous road due to the people driving on it....I was on there earlier this afternoon and was reminded how much all the instance weaving in and out, lack of signals, tailgating, and general all-out aggressive driving makes for just a plain unpleasant experience)
    "You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
    —Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
    commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
    —Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

freebrickproductions

Favorite: I-65 in Birmingham (I like the views of the metro area from I-65)
    Least favorite: I-65 in Birmingham (traffic during rush-hour is a nightmare!) and I-65 in the Tennessee Valley (boring as a post)
    It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

Kacie Jane

Quote from: kkt on March 21, 2015, 01:34:34 PM
    I-5 favorite: Chuckanut Mountain section, Burlington to Bellingham WA.

Not going to disagree with you. But there are a couple of spots (particularly SB at around 188th and again at SR 516, NB at the east end of Fife before it curves back north) where on a clear day, the view of Mt. Rainier is literally jaw-dropping.

But since those are points and not segments, I'll go with yours. Though for the state as a whole, I'd put Snoqualmie Pass ever so slightly above it.

Bickendan

Favorite: I-5, Redding to Cottage Grove; I-84, Troutdale to US 730
    Least favorite: I-80, Nevada, I-35/70, KCMO

kkt

Quote from: Kacie Jane on March 21, 2015, 09:51:38 PM
    Quote from: kkt on March 21, 2015, 01:34:34 PM
    I-5 favorite: Chuckanut Mountain section, Burlington to Bellingham WA.

Not going to disagree with you. But there are a couple of spots (particularly SB at around 188th and again at SR 516, NB at the east end of Fife before it curves back north) where on a clear day, the view of Mt. Rainier is literally jaw-dropping.

But since those are points and not segments, I'll go with yours. Though for the state as a whole, I'd put Snoqualmie Pass ever so slightly above it.

Snoqualmie Pass is very pretty, but the traffic is often quite heavy and acting squirrely -- too fast for snowy/foggy/heavy rain conditions, cutting in.  When conditions are good I agree with you though.

mrose

Favorite:

I-70 Silverthorne, CO - Vail, CO
    I-25 Lone Tree, CO - Raton, NM
    I-43 Port Washington, WI - Manitowoc, WI

Least favorite:

I-70 Limon, CO to Salina, KS
    I-88 Silvis, IL - DeKalb, IL
    I-76 Fort Morgan, CO - Julesburg, CO

I'll pit the eastern half of Colorado against any state in the union for "boring". Nebraska and Iowa get more grief, but I'd do both of those 1,000 times over the Limon - Goodland stretch of I-70. Western Illinois is also pretty bleak.

dfwmapper

Favorite: Anywhere with a lot of different views in a short distance or just general neat terrain is a favorite. I-70 from Denver west. I-15 through the Virgin River Gorge. I-8 through California and the first 25 or so miles of Arizona (ocean, mountains, sand dunes, and a wrong-way section, how does it get any better than that?). I-17 between Flagstaff and the outskirts of Phoenix. I-10 through Texas Canyon. I-10 through Hill Country west of San Antonio.

Least favorite: does "all of the midwest" count? I-40 west of Memphis too.

vdeane

Quote from: The Nature Boy on March 21, 2015, 11:18:45 AM
    - The New York Thruway from Angola to Albany - just a boring stretch with nothing interesting to see. West of Albany, you get the Berkshires and those are breath-taking.
    You don't even like the part through the Mohawk Valley (which is west of Albany... the Berkshires are east of Albany).
    Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.