Highways that cross state lines and change dramatically?

Started by Roadster, March 26, 2015, 03:02:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roadster

Has anyone traveled a highway beginning in one state that (crosses the state line) leads into another and noticed a difference, whether from good to bad   :-(  or from bad to worse :crazy: or from bad to good  :nod:... etc.?

If so, more out of curiosity, share your experience?  :nod:

hotdogPi

I-93 in New Hampshire between the Massachusetts border and Exit 2 generally has more traffic than the Massachusetts section due to the construction in New Hampshire.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

1995hoo

For me the #1 road on this list is I-95 crossing between South Carolina and Georgia. Big improvement southbound due to Georgia having widened their portion; also, a lot of South Carolina's southernmost portion past Ridgeland and Hardeeville feels like an older road. Going northbound, the road narrowing can often cause traffic jams.

The quality of I-83 declines almost immediately when you cross from Maryland into Pennsylvania, IMO. Pennsylvania's segment is yet another of that state's outdated Interstates with a nonexistent median, too-narrow roadway, etc. US-15, on the other hand, improves when you enter Pennsylvania, due in part to a higher speed limit (65 mph since the segment near Gettysburg has interchanges and Maryland's has at-grade intersections). Maryland's part of Route 15 isn't BAD, mind you, other than the 55-mph speed limit; on the whole I find it to be a pleasant drive whenever I use it late at night coming home from Hershey Bears games.

I-85 used to be a considerably worse road as soon as you crossed from Virginia into North Carolina, and it remained crappy all the way down to Durham, but North Carolina's been improving their portion big-time.

I suppose technically I-87 and Autoroute 15 are not the "same road." For all practical purposes, though, it's one continuous highway. I-87 is a far better road, both as to the condition of the road itself and as to the driving experience. Autoroute 15 generally has a narrow median and you don't have a buffer from oncoming headlights. I suppose I notice that more there than on some other roads because when I reach the border, I'll have been driving for eight or nine hours already, so I find oncoming headlights to be more tiring and distracting than they are in local driving.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

bzakharin

NJ-73 is almost entirely a 4-lane divided highway, whereas PA-73 (at least immediately upon crossing the Tacony-Palmyra Bridge) is a minor, hard to follow (multiple 90 degree turns at traffic lights) road. Of course the downgrade is not exactly at the state line (midspan of the bridge), but arguably still in NJ at the entrance to the bridge itself.

02 Park Ave

I say, US 12 crossing over from Wisconsin into Illinois is the most dramatic of differences.  In Wisconsin it is a limited access highway; in Illinois it isn't.
C-o-H

Pete from Boston

Quote from: 1 on March 26, 2015, 03:13:22 PM
I-93 in New Hampshire between the Massachusetts border and Exit 2 generally has more traffic than the Massachusetts section due to the construction in New Hampshire.

Also, there's been a lane drop there until recently (construction just pushed it a little further north).

jp the roadgeek

Quote from: 02 Park Ave on March 26, 2015, 04:35:06 PM
I say, US 12 crossing over from Wisconsin into Illinois is the most dramatic of differences.  In Wisconsin it is a limited access highway; in Illinois it isn't.

Same with US 1 from PA into MD.  PA is limited access divided highway. MD is 2 lanes and a 50MPH limit.  DE and MD 273 are quite different.  DE is suburban Newark.  Hit the MD line and it's farm country.  US 222 is kind of straight in MD.  Hit PA and its all twists and turns.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

dfwmapper

US 45, US 84, and US 98 go from 4 lanes divided to 2 lanes undivided going from MS to AL. AL 24/MS 76 (aka Appalachian Corridor V) craps out at a 2 lane undivided road just inside MS after being 4 lanes divided, though that is just temporary. US 62/180 goes from 4 lanes divided to 2 lanes undivided going west (south) from NM into TX. US 385 goes from 4 lanes divided to 2 lanes undivided going from SD to NE.

tidecat

I-65 goes from 6 to 4 lanes at the KY/TN line, and it becomes noticeably more crowded as a result.
Clinched: I-264 (KY), I-265 (KY), I-359 (AL), I-459 (AL), I-865 (IN)

vdeane

ON 401/A-20

A lot of roads on PA's borders... one that's always stuck out to me is PA/NY 328.  It goes from a narrow, twisty road with no shoulders to what in NY is a road of normal width.  In a few miles it becomes a four lane divided highway.

US 301 on the MD/DE line is also very striking, with the limited access expressway narrowing down to a regular two lane road.

I-95 NY/NJ
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

hbelkins

VA/TN 70. The road seems much wider on the south side of the border than it does to the north. OTOH, there is no appreciable difference on either side of the border on VA/TN 91.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

NE2

Quote from: vdeane on March 26, 2015, 09:08:02 PM
A lot of roads on PA's borders... one that's always stuck out to me is PA/NY 328.  It goes from a narrow, twisty road with no shoulders to what in NY is a road of normal width.  In a few miles it becomes a four lane divided highway.
Supposedly PA 328 has been build to ADHS standards? http://www.arc.gov/noindex/programs/transp/adhs_status_report_2014/ADHSFY2014StatusReportPennsylvania.pdf
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

kphoger

Highway 67, Texas/Chihuahua

The Texas side has wide, paved shoulders. The Chihuahua side has no shoulders, uses metric speed limits, and the signs are in Spanish.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

vdeane

Quote from: NE2 on March 26, 2015, 09:57:12 PM
Supposedly PA 328 has been build to ADHS standards? http://www.arc.gov/noindex/programs/transp/adhs_status_report_2014/ADHSFY2014StatusReportPennsylvania.pdf

It's built to whatever standards these are: http://nysroads.com/photos.php?route=pa328&state=PA
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

GCrites

A lot of roads on PA's borders...

When you go into WV on I-70 from PA it gets a lot wider.

SteveG1988

Going from I-276 to the NJ turnpike. 4 lanes, jersey barrier, minimal shoulders, cracked pavement, to a wide median, 6 lanes, wide shoulders, and decent pavement once you cross into NJ.

I-55 going from MO to AR, cross the state line and the right lane becomes a spine breaker with bad expansion joint placement.

Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

Thing 342

On I-85 going from NC to SC, the freeway goes from a fairly modern freeway to a rather substandard one, with narrow shoulders and tight interchanges, as well as dramatically lower quality pavement.

mrose

Quote from: 02 Park Ave on March 26, 2015, 04:35:06 PM

Yep, you go from a full blown interstate-grade freeway to a congested 2-lane with very narrow shoulders. Even the landscape changes dramatically.... the Wisconsin side is very wide open farmland with some distant hills on either side of you (high enough for skiing), and then on the Illinois side you enter a more forested area with a lot of lakes around it.

Crossing from Nebraska into Colorado on I-76 is oddly weird too.... the Nebraska side is flat, but there's stands of trees around the South Platte River to break up the landscape. Once you enter CO it becomes more desolate with almost no trees at all and a sand hills kind of feel.

SSOWorld

US-95 NB by ssoworld, on Flickr

US-95 NB - one can tell where the Nevada state line is buy the pavement.  California's portion also looks like you're riding a roller coaster whereas Nevada's portion is smooth.  It becomes 4-lane after the junction with the Hoover Dam alternate route.

Significant differences exist on most crossings into California in how roads are constructed.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

cjk374

Quote from: SSOWorld on March 27, 2015, 05:28:38 AM
US-95 NB by ssoworld, on Flickr

US-95 NB - one can tell where the Nevada state line is buy the pavement.  California's portion also looks like you're riding a roller coaster whereas Nevada's portion is smooth.  It becomes 4-lane after the junction with the Hoover Dam alternate route.

Significant differences exist on most crossings into California in how roads are constructed.

And the cattle guard looks to be at the state line also. Is that NV or CA trying to keep the cattle in?
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

Mr. Matté

I always thought it was interesting how when you're traveling from Pennsylvania into Ohio on their states' respective Turnpikes, it seems like it's right at the state line where the terrain goes from hilly and winding roads to everything being flat. Looking at the GSV on I-80, it looks similar.

Mr_Northside

Quote from: GCrites80s on March 26, 2015, 10:02:28 PM
When you go into WV on I-70 from PA it gets a lot wider.

I'm gonna have to disagree with that.  It's relatively the same (check the Satellite View)
I don't have opinions anymore. All I know is that no one is better than anyone else, and everyone is the best at everything

bassoon1986

I-55 at the LA/MS line used to be a pretty dramatic change before Louisiana repaved their stretch. You'd hit Louisiana state line and your car would bounce in rhythm.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: 1995hoo on March 26, 2015, 03:22:25 PM
The quality of I-83 declines almost immediately when you cross from Maryland into Pennsylvania, IMO. Pennsylvania's segment is yet another of that state's outdated Interstates with a nonexistent median, too-narrow roadway, etc. US-15, on the other hand, improves when you enter Pennsylvania, due in part to a higher speed limit (65 mph since the segment near Gettysburg has interchanges and Maryland's has at-grade intersections). Maryland's part of Route 15 isn't BAD, mind you, other than the 55-mph speed limit; on the whole I find it to be a pleasant drive whenever I use it late at night coming home from Hershey Bears games.

U.S. 15 crossing between Loudoun County, Virginia and Frederick County, Maryland includes a multiple-span series of "through" truss structures over the Potomac River. 

But on the Maryland side, it is otherwise a reasonably modern two-lane arterial highway. In Loudoun County (and, for that matter Prince William County north of Va. 234) it is mostly a relatively narrow road without shoulders, signed as a Virginia Scenic Byway.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

cpzilliacus

I-76 at the connection point between the Ohio Turnpike and the Pennsylvania Turnpike used to be yet another embarrassment for the Keystone State (for all the usual reason), but I have not driven it since PTC completed a "total reconstruction" of the westernmost section of its road.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.