News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Most boring highway to drive down

Started by tribar, June 11, 2015, 10:51:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Revive 755

Quote from: StogieGuy7 on June 12, 2015, 09:02:14 PM
That said, I-55 through Illinois makes Nebraska's I-80 look like a tour of a national park! Gawd, what a dull highway to plow through.  From Chicago's SW suburbs to East St. Louis, it's a snoozefest.  Flat enough to use as a billiard table and utterly lacking in any scenic interest whatsoever. 

I-55 between Joliet and Troy in Illinois is much better than I-80 in Nebraska between Grand Island and I-76. I-55 has Blormal, Lincoln, and Springfield to break up the drive, while I-80 only gets two cities with more than one exit, and no junctions with other interstates.  I-55 generally stays closer to the paralleling railroad line than I-80 does in Nebraska.  I-55 also has the old sections of US 66 to watch for.

SSOWorld

Quote from: Zeffy on June 12, 2015, 10:43:49 AM
Quote from: Brandon on June 12, 2015, 10:30:31 AM
I guess "boring" is in the eye of the beholder.  As for those who consider the prairies "boring", you aren't looking far enough off the freeway.  There's plenty of buildings and fields to see, and they're never, IMHO, "boring".

My favorite landscapes are mountainous areas and urban areas. Of course, when it comes to the west, a lot of Colorado, Utah, and Arizona looks beautiful with their rigid landforms. So different from over here...
I'm sure many have thought I-15 south of Vegas is boring, but try this - drive it at dusk or under moonlight.  Not only do you have the vast land lit up plus the Vegas light afar, but you have the snake of headlights AND tail lights in front and behind you up the bare mountains.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

hbelkins

I-57 from the state line to Sikeston, then I-55 south to Memphis. Also I-40 from Memphis to North Little Rock. And while others may not think so, I drove I-40 from Nashville to Memphis once and it just about killed me.

Even a road that others might find interesting or scenic can become boring if you drive it often enough. See I-79 in West Virginia.

And how can anyone say I-80 in Pennsylvania is boring? Some gorgeous mountain scenery to be had along most of that route. If you want boring in Pennsylvania, look at the turnpike from east of the mountain below the easternmost tunnel all the way to the state line, especially from there to Harrisburg.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

xcellntbuy

Quote from: iBallasticwolf2 on June 12, 2015, 08:24:09 AM
I-75 between Macon and Valdosta. It is a very tedious drive any time I go on vacation to Florida. There is nothing interesting to see between there. Tifton is bypassed and by I-75 and it the whole corridor is mostly a boring 6 lane with a 70 mph speed limit. Although the section around Warner Robins with 10 lanes is interesting but not anything else. Come to think of it the corridor between the Tennesse state line and Atlanta is shorter but still boring. Although everything in the Atlanta Metro area before the downtown connector is still interesting. Especially the express lane construction.
Agreed.  Interstate 16 is a very close second.

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: Charles2 on June 12, 2015, 09:00:45 PM
I-16 between Macon and Savannah: a non-narcotic cure for insomnia.

The rest of I-16 isn't that much better.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

CentralPAGal

Quote from: hbelkins on June 12, 2015, 09:54:02 PM
And how can anyone say I-80 in Pennsylvania is boring? Some gorgeous mountain scenery to be had along most of that route.

Seconded on I-80. I drove a portion of I-80 about 3 or 4 weeks ago (including part of the 70 mph zone) and "gorgeous" is a fine word to use to describe it. And, while it may not be I-68, there's some interesting rock cuts as well.

If you want boring in Pennsylvania, look at the turnpike from east of the mountain below the easternmost tunnel all the way to the state line, especially from there to Harrisburg.

Being from that area (though not having actually driven most of that section of the turnpike), I'm afraid I'm going to have to concur with this statement.
Clinched:
I: 83, 97, 176, 180 (PA), 270 (MD), 283, 395 (MD), 470 (OH-WV), 471, 795 (MD)
Traveled:
I: 70, 71, 75, 76 (E), 78, 79, 80, 81, 86 (E), 95, 99, 270 (OH), 275 (KY-IN-OH), 376, 495 (MD-VA), 579, 595 (MD), 695 (MD)
US: 1, 9, 11, 13, 15, 22, 25, 30, 40, 42, 50, 113, 119, 127, 209, 220, 222, 301

Gulol

Quote from: dfwmapper on June 12, 2015, 04:46:27 PM
Quote from: Gulol on June 12, 2015, 04:39:34 PM
Maybe it isn't so much the scenery in certain areas as it is knowing that for the bulk of the 500+ miles ... yawn.  Comparatively speaking, the 500ish miles on I-70 from the I-15 split in Cove Fort to the decent in Denver ... close to the same distance but so much more to see on I-70 vs. I-10.  It's all in the eye of the beholder  :D
If we rate multiple highways forming a single corridor, how would you rate I-10+I-20 from El Paso to Fort Worth? That, to me, is even more boring than going El Paso to San Antonio.
Personally, it's like picking the tallest midget.  They're both equally boring.

oscar

Quote from: kkt on June 12, 2015, 03:55:01 PM
Mackenzie Highway, especially north of High Level.  Long and straight, most of the time with fairly uniform trees right up to to the highway's shoulder.

Definitely up there, with the only thing relieving the boredom is if there's a train to or from Hay River running alongside the highway.

But even worse is Manitoba route 6 between Winnipeg and Thompson. It runs through the bleak "interlakes" region, where almost everything interesting is on the lakes distant from the highway. Also only a bare minimum of highway services. Not impossible to find lodging along the way, but best to overnight at one end and take a full day to overnight at the other end. (Thompson, for its isolation, is pretty good from the services and other interest standpoint, as main service center for all of northern Manitoba.)
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

02 Park Ave

Where is th 70 mph zone on the I-80 in Pennsylvania?
C-o-H

signalman

Quote from: 02 Park Ave on June 13, 2015, 11:33:40 PM
Between MM 101 in DuBois and MM 189 in Clinton County.

Tom958

Quote from: CtrlAltDel on June 12, 2015, 10:31:19 PM
Quote from: Charles2 on June 12, 2015, 09:00:45 PM
I-16 between Macon and Savannah: a non-narcotic cure for insomnia.

The rest of I-16 isn't that much better.

:bigass:

For whatever reason, I-20 between Covington and Augusta bores me even more than I-16 does. It was built in a shorter period than I-16 and is therefore even more uniform. The scenery, such as it is, is identical in both corridors.

golden eagle

I-57 from the state line to Sikeston, then I-55 south to Memphis. Also I-40 from Memphis to North Little Rock. And while others may not think so, I drove I-40 from Nashville to Memphis once and it just about killed me.

I agree on I-55 from Sikeston southward. Other boring drives:

U.S. 49 north of Jackson
U.S. 61 through north Mississippi
U.S. 98 from Hattiesburg eastward
I-20/59 though western Alabama

Pete from Boston

Quote from: signalman on June 14, 2015, 08:25:08 AM
Quote from: 02 Park Ave on June 13, 2015, 11:33:40 PM
Between MM 101 in DuBois and MM 189 in Clinton County.

The whole length of an I-80 in Pennsylvania should be posted as high as possible to get it over with.

kendancy66

I don't get this.  You people are supposed to like roads

1995hoo

Quote from: kendancy66 on June 14, 2015, 02:10:39 PM
I don't get this.  You people are supposed to like roads

I like beer, but that doesn't mean I like every beer on the market. Same principle applies to roads, right?
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

74/171FAN

My friends that went to Virginia Tech and Liberty always called US 460 west of Petersburg to Roanoke boring.  For me, I just got so sick of driving that way that I took other routes home my senior year.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

hbelkins

Quote from: 74/171FAN on June 14, 2015, 03:33:00 PM
My friends that went to Virginia Tech and Liberty always called US 460 west of Petersburg to Roanoke boring.  For me, I just got so sick of driving that way that I took other routes home my senior year.

OTOH, I love that drive, especially heading west as the mountains start to come into view.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

mrose

I-70: Limon, CO to Salina, KS
I-76: Brighton, CO to Big Spring, NE
I-88: Rock Island, IL to Rochelle, IL

Having done both frequently, I'd much rather do I-80 through Nebraska than I-70 through eastern CO / western KS.

I think the entire western I-76 might be worse than both, especially eastbound.

Also, western Illinois is not fun.

Road Hog

Quote from: roadman65 on June 12, 2015, 07:53:40 PM
Oh yes, I-49 between Alexandria and Shreveport.   Nothing much to see.  In fact not even the interchanges have much as there are not even services for that whole region.   Makes you wonder why that is the only road in the state to have a 75 mph speed limit.

I've never understood the lack of services on this freeway. It's been complete for 20 years and surely by now you would've thought there would be more development besides just Natchitoches. If you break down on this stretch, you're screwed.

It's pretty barren south of Alexandria as well until almost to Opelousas.

thefro

Quote from: Avalanchez71 on June 12, 2015, 12:50:15 PM
I-65 north of Indianapolis.

There's a large wind farm now on what was the most boring portion of the route between Indy and Chicago, so that really has improved the scenery of the drive.

US 31 between Kokomo & South Bend is way worse

noelbotevera

I-287 between I-78 and the southern terminus. Trees and C-D roads. That's not pretty!
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

(Recently hacked. A human operates this account now!)

Pete from Boston

Quote from: noelbotevera on June 15, 2015, 04:04:28 PM
I-287 between I-78 and the southern terminus. Trees and C-D roads. That's not pretty!

But relatively short.  Boring for the severely attention-deprived, but not terrible for a 20- to 30-minute stretch.

noelbotevera

Quote from: Pete from Boston on June 15, 2015, 04:08:32 PM

But relatively short.  Boring for the severely attention-deprived, but not terrible for a 20- to 30-minute stretch.
Depending on the flow for that 21 mile stretch (usually it is 70), that can be boring.
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

(Recently hacked. A human operates this account now!)

clong

Quote from: golden eagle on June 14, 2015, 11:45:05 AM

I agree on I-55 from Sikeston southward. Other boring drives:

U.S. 49 north of Jackson
U.S. 61 through north Mississippi
U.S. 98 from Hattiesburg eastward
I-20/59 though western Alabama

I agree with your assessment of I-55 in Arkansas and I-20/59 in western AL (would also add I-59 in MS) and raise you an I-59 once you get out of Birmingham headed to Chattanooga. Lots of scenic pine trees on these routes.

Pete from Boston

Quote from: noelbotevera on June 15, 2015, 04:21:32 PM
Quote from: Pete from Boston on June 15, 2015, 04:08:32 PM

Depending on the flow for that 21 mile stretch (usually it is 70), that can be boring.

I guess I get bored slowly.  The Turnpike south of New Brunswick is far worse in my opinion.  Flat, straight, flat, straight, cruiser, flat straight...

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.