News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Things your state/province does and you like

Started by Brandon, November 07, 2015, 05:23:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

triplemultiplex

I like that WisDOT has been aggressively implementing roundabouts in this century.  This is forcing people to get used to them and improving driver performance at these intersections statewide.

I like how UDOT is an early adapter for better service interchange designs.

I like how New Mexico has shit-canned useless US highways and doesn't even sign the pointless concurrencies that remain.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

OCGuy81

My favorite things about California, mostly because I'm used to it:

- Freeway Entrance signs with the downward pointing arrows.
- Using the state named Interstate shields.
- Cut-out US highway shields.
- I like the exit numbers not being on a separate tab or across the top of a BGS.
- A bit pointless, but I like the use of city limit signs with the population and elevation.

NWI_Irish96

The main thing I like that Indiana did was number the state highways in a grid.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

kurumi

Doing California and Connecticut (comparable time in each state)

California:
* frequent use of "more than the minimum" interchange ramp configurations (e.g. parclo A4 instead of diamond)
* occasional use of grade separation and interchanges on non-freeway routes
* freeway mainline continuity: fewer left exits, and more 4-way interchanges over 3-ways or doglegs
* occasional sign goofs revealing unsigned routes (114, 221, etc.)

Connecticut:
* better signage (exit tabs outside main panel; sign panels sized and laid out appropriately for content)
* denser signed highway network -- more things to see in a shorter distance
* good job of signing overlaps -- main omission is US 6 over I-84 through Hartford area
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

bzakharin

NJ:
Does full service gas count?

Maryland:
Their "lane ends" signs:

freebrickproductions

Things that I like about Alabama are the state-name interstate shields and Clearview on the BGSes and LGSes (though I'm not entirely sure if they still use it).
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

jwolfer

Quote from: cabiness42 on November 10, 2015, 07:48:58 AM
The main thing I like that Indiana did was number the state highways in a grid.
I like the Florida grid. And long distance diagonals being x00.

formulanone

Quote from: freebrickproductions on November 10, 2015, 12:39:22 PM
Things that I like about Alabama are the state-name interstate shields and Clearview on the BGSes and LGSes (though I'm not entirely sure if they still use it).

I prefer non-Clearview, but I won't make a big deal out of it. The occasional CV sign in Alabama is interesting, but I guess I'd despise it if it replaced an old slatted or button-copy sign.

Fairly consistent signage compared to most states (probably not Michigan or Texas or North Carolina, but better than Georgia, Florida, Rhode Island, and New Mexico)
Fair speed limits (i.e. they don't lower 30 mph in the space of 500 feet, and they're not placed miles away from city limits (cough, Tennessee).
The narrower-spec US route shields

cwf1701

Michigan:
Blinking red ball left turn light (being replaced by flashing yellow left arrow)
signs posted on all divided highways showing how to turn left via a Michigan left in the median at all cross streets.
posting "Emergency" routes for all freeways and other routes.

Mdcastle

Minnesota:
Flashing Yellow Arrows at most new intersections
One signal per lane with one on each post on either side and all on masts.
Lighting at both entrances and exits at just about every rural interchange
Modern rest areas on major non-interstate routes

bassoon1986

Louisiana:
-For the most part, signing of highways and signing of concurrencies
-4 laned major US routes/ cross-state routes (TIMED program)
-logical control cities on interstates (all but one)
-I like the old 3di US routes on a 2di shield. Still plenty of US 171/US 190 examples in the field
-a rough grid for the routes 1-24

pctech

Louisiana

LADODT doesn't skimp on pavement reflectors, especially on freeways. Interstate signage has gotten much better in the last decade or so.
I wish they would adopt arrow per lane though where freeways/highways split though.

I driven in CO. twice now, I like the way their highways are signed.

dgolub

Quote from: SteveG1988 on November 09, 2015, 12:08:13 AM
NJ: Not allowing any state route to have the same number as a US highway or Interstate. Reduces confusion when you talk about a route.

Also, 500 series county routes are really cool.

dgolub

Quote from: D-Dey65 on November 08, 2015, 10:48:42 PM
Quote from: dgolub on November 08, 2015, 01:14:07 PM
The region I'm originally from, Long Island, has a system of parkway signage where each parkway is given a letter or two to identify (e.g. N from Northern Parkway, M for Meadowbrook Parkway, SO for Southern Parkway, SA for Sagtikos Parkway, etc.).  It would be great to see that carried over to New York City, where most of the parkways have no route shields at all.
That's nice, but I've always liked the green on white NYS shields of the Upstate New York Parkways. The oval-shaped Grand Central Parkway shield is something I'd like to see for the parkways of New York City.

Yeah, that would be cool, too.  There's been a proposal from NYCDOT and NYSDOT to install standardized signs similar to Long Island but with different artwork.  So far, nothing much has happened with that.

The High Plains Traveler

Colorado: long merging lanes entering major highways at grade. At signalized intersections near where I live, I can enter U.S. 50 (a 65 mph expressway) even when the cross-street traffic has a red indication. Example: https://www.google.com/maps/@38.3357122,-104.7446958,161m/data=!3m1!1e3
"Tongue-tied and twisted; just an earth-bound misfit, I."

mgk920

I really like how Wisconsin marks its county highways and the 'County' shields that are generally used here.   They are light years better than the MUTCD pentagons.

Mike

roadman65

In my state its having only one tag on the rear of your vehicle.

The lack of yearly inspections on your motor vehicle.

The 70 mph speed limit.

The beaches are open all year round.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

ekt8750

Here's a couple from PA I like:

The (signed) state highway numbering system pretty much mirrors the US Highway numbering system (which some exceptions).

PennDOT's use of Clearview is nice. PTC is a different story.

Driver services don't require a trip to the DMV. Lots of local businesses are licensed to provide driver services.

And on that same token, vehicle inspections are handled private mechanics (although that can also be bad depending on the mechanic).

jeffandnicole

Quote from: dgolub on November 11, 2015, 07:00:18 PM
NJ: Not allowing any state route to have the same number as a US highway or Interstate. Reduces confusion when you talk about a route.

I do know of one 6xx county route number that's also an Interstate.  CR 676 (Mantua Blvd in Mantua Twp) is the same as I-676 (thru Camden).

odditude

Quote from: jeffandnicole on November 12, 2015, 03:20:15 PM
Quote from: dgolub on November 11, 2015, 07:00:18 PM

I do know of one 6xx county route number that's also an Interstate.  CR 676 (Mantua Blvd in Mantua Twp) is the same as I-676 (thru Camden).

however, there is no CR 676 in Camden County, so it's consistent with only requiring 600-series numbers to be unique within the county.

mrsman

Quote from: D-Dey65 on November 08, 2015, 10:48:42 PM
The region I'm originally from, Long Island, has a system of parkway signage where each parkway is given a letter or two to identify (e.g. N from Northern Parkway, M for Meadowbrook Parkway, SO for Southern Parkway, SA for Sagtikos Parkway, etc.).  It would be great to see that carried over to New York City, where most of the parkways have no route shields at all.
That's nice, but I've always liked the green on white NYS shields of the Upstate New York Parkways. The oval-shaped Grand Central Parkway shield is something I'd like to see for the parkways of New York City.
I agree.  Any limited access highway should have some type of shield.  Ideally all the Parkways should be numbered, but at least a trailblazer makes it easier to follow the road.

Sam

New York State's reference marker system. Every point on the state highway system can be uniquely identified. You can tell where you are, which way you're going, how long until you get there, every county line, every city line, and even the history of how the road evolved, all in 80 square inches.

empirestate

That is happening, supposedly. The Henry Hudson Parkway has already received this treatment.

iPhone

MASTERNC

Quote from: ekt8750 on November 12, 2015, 02:34:19 PM
Here's a couple from PA I like:

The (signed) state highway numbering system pretty much mirrors the US Highway numbering system (which some exceptions).

PennDOT's use of Clearview is nice. PTC is a different story.

Driver services don't require a trip to the DMV. Lots of local businesses are licensed to provide driver services.

And on that same token, vehicle inspections are handled private mechanics (although that can also be bad depending on the mechanic).

I'd rather have the DMV handle the inspection and the titling services.  You have to pay someone on top of DMV's fees in PA, and everything has to be notarized.  The inspection prices for something that has to be done annually are outrageous compared to states where the DMV does the inspection or the prices are capped by law (many of these states also only require emissions tests every other year).  You also have to pay the state $5 for a sticker to say your car passed inspection (kind of like the colonial stamp tax charged by the British)

nyratk1

Quote from: SignBridge on November 08, 2015, 08:58:24 PM
New York State DOT's almost perfect BGS format/layouts in total contrast to California's messed up, disorganized sign formats.

Also New York's traffic light standard that prohibits having a green ball to the left of a left-turn signal arrow head, unlike New Jersey and California who do use that potentially confusing practice. 

I'm also liking NYSDOT Region 10's (and maybe more?) recent practice of black backplates with reflective yellow outlining on newly installed or redone signalized intersections.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.