News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Things your state/province does and you like

Started by Brandon, November 07, 2015, 05:23:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Revive 755

Quote from: SignBridge on November 08, 2015, 08:58:24 PM
Also New York's traffic light standard that prohibits having a green ball to the left of a left-turn signal arrow head, unlike New Jersey and California who do use that potentially confusing practice.

So how does New York handling signals near curves to the right with restricted visibility?  In cases similar to this one on US 61/US 67 in the St. Louis area, a near left head for the through movement are nice.

roadman65

If the through left signal head is out of the cone of view for the left turning motorists, it creates no confusion.

In Clark, NJ on Raritan Road we had it for years at Central Avenue.

In Kissimmee and Orlando here in Florida we have some that have them on the left and it works well even with the permissive turns.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

SignBridge

Nyratk1, NYSDOT tends to shoot itself in the foot with their backplates for several reasons. I agree they look good with the yellow reflective outline. However their using backplates on span-wire hung signal heads is bad because it makes them sway more in the wind. The backplate is like a "sail". And the MUTCD actually discourages this practice.

Secondly, backplates do not fare well in the Northeast I believe because of the cold winters. They are made of plastic and they crack and break off when they get older. You'll see, all these new ones they've installed lately will fall apart and look terrible several years from now.

SignBridge

Revive and Roadman, New York manges to handle that right-hand curve issue satisfactorily. Because we mostly have diagonal span configuration, the thru signal-heads are seen sooner than with typical mast-arm mounting, which reduces the need for a near-left supplemental thru-traffic signal-head.

roadman65

On Michigan Street at Division Avenue in Orlando, it was a span wire for years and they still had near side signal heads on the spans.   

It does not matter with span wire or mast arm you can still conjure up something!

BTW John Young Parkway S Bound at Chancellor Drive in Orlando could use one of those left side mounted signal heads, but has not yet.  So far it works well with its hidden intersection.

Sheryl Crowe

UCFKnights

Quote from: SignBridge on November 15, 2015, 10:27:57 PM
Nyratk1, NYSDOT tends to shoot itself in the foot with their backplates for several reasons. I agree they look good with the yellow reflective outline. However their using backplates on span-wire hung signal heads is bad because it makes them sway more in the wind. The backplate is like a "sail". And the MUTCD actually discourages this practice.

Secondly, backplates do not fare well in the Northeast I believe because of the cold winters. They are made of plastic and they crack and break off when they get older. You'll see, all these new ones they've installed lately will fall apart and look terrible several years from now.
Florida seems to be putting the backplates with yellow reflective outlines as signals are replaced, including the span wires. The new span wire mounts are supposed to be much stronger and I can't say I noticed more swaying with them even though we frequently get strong winds (actually, its less, the newer span wire mounts are significantly stronger then the old ones and don't sway like the older ones).

tdindy88

Speaking of signals and span wires, I'll chime in with something I like about my state of Indiana. Nearly all of the span wire intersections with traffic signals have wires holding the signal up from the top and bottom (whereas most other places I've been to have them only at the top, allowing them to drop down a little.) To me this makes the traffic signals look more cleaned up and even if it is wires the signals are all at the same level at the intersection. I think I've heard that this is done elsewhere but I can't remember.

Brandon

We have them here in Illinois, Minnesota, and Wisconsin, same winter, maybe even colder, and they fare just fine.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

D-Dey65

Quote from: Sam on November 13, 2015, 09:04:46 PM
New York State's reference marker system. Every point on the state highway system can be uniquely identified. You can tell where you are, which way you're going, how long until you get there, every county line, every city line, and even the history of how the road evolved, all in 80 square inches.
As a kid I used to try to read those aloud in a teeny-tiny voice and substitute my own gibberish for the exact mileage and designation, and what not.

But anyhow, one other thing that New York did which I've liked (and still do), is that they have the college symbol signs. Everywhere else, it seems illegal. Once MUTCD started requiring more logos to replace words, New York was a little more willing to create signs like that.

SignBridge

Tdindy88, a span-wire installation if properly built will have all the signal heads at the same level, by using different lengths of hardware to attach to the wire. That's how New York DOT and Nassau County DPW build them on Long Island. And neither uses the bottom "tether wire".

Brandon, that's very interesting about the backplates in the upper mid-western states. Are you saying they do not break off and disappear, or that they are promptly replaced when that happens, which is not done by New York DOT Region-10 on Long Island.  Once ours are gone, they are not routinely replaced.

roadman65

Quote from: SignBridge on November 16, 2015, 07:23:09 PM
Tdindy88, a span-wire installation if properly built will have all the signal heads at the same level, by using different lengths of hardware to attach to the wire. That's how New York DOT and Nassau County DPW build them on Long Island. And neither uses the bottom "tether wire".

Brandon, that's very interesting about the backplates in the upper mid-western states. Are you saying they do not break off and disappear, or that they are promptly replaced when that happens, which is not done by New York DOT Region-10 on Long Island.  Once ours are gone, they are not routinely replaced.
That is a good question about CalTrans Signals.  They seem to not have missing ones.  Does all the road agencies in the Golden State Promptly replace missing backplates when they become broken, as GSV shows none with pieces missing or completely missing anyplace. 

Then again I never virtually clinched every signalized intersection in the state, but when I was there in 1988, it seemed all was plated so to say!  In Florida you will find many missing and some with parts blown off of it, or have fallen off of them, which leads me to believe that could happen elsewhere backplates are including Illinois where recently I have seen missing ones just like home.

Sheryl Crowe

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: Mdcastle on November 10, 2015, 07:20:19 PM
Minnesota:
Flashing Yellow Arrows at most new intersections
One signal per lane with one on each post on either side and all on masts.
Lighting at both entrances and exits at just about every rural interchange
Modern rest areas on major non-interstate routes

Large visible green guide signs on stoplight mast arms is another thing I realize I don't see many other places that I like here.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

froggie

Quote from: SignBridgeBrandon, that's very interesting about the backplates in the upper mid-western states. Are you saying they do not break off and disappear, or that they are promptly replaced when that happens, which is not done by New York DOT Region-10 on Long Island.  Once ours are gone, they are not routinely replaced.

Speaking for Minnesota, they generally DON'T break off.  And Minnesota winters are much colder than New York's...

D-Dey65

Quote from: SteveG1988 on November 09, 2015, 12:08:13 AM
The Jughandle is something that once you're used to it becomes great.
I used to like those jughandles. Later on in life I realized they weren't so great.

Sam

Another thing New York does that I really like is rounding off the corners of the BGSes, rather than leaving square corners sticking out beyond the white border.

wriddle082

Quote from: Sam on December 17, 2015, 05:56:25 AM
Another thing New York does that I really like is rounding off the corners of the BGSes, rather than leaving square corners sticking out beyond the white border.

Seems like this is common in states that don't use corrugated guide signs, NC and FL being a couple of other examples.

NY and SC also don't push the right/left edges of the exit tabs even with the main guide sign, instead stopping at the beginning of the white rounded border.  I personally don't like this.

jbnati27

Ohio:
      - I like the state-shaped state route marker
      - 70mph speed limit (finally)
      - They allow you to keep your license plate even if it is several generations older

D-Dey65

Quote from: jbnati27 on December 17, 2015, 08:15:56 AM
      - 70mph speed limit (finally)
This is also what I like about Florida better than New York. Many of the people I know from New York are amazed that you're allowed to drive that fast. I don't think it's fast enough.

SignBridge

Wriddle082, NYS DOT's Region-10 on Long Island does have some BGS's with the exit tab aligned with the right edge of the main panel which I think looks ridiculous. In a previous discussion some thought it was either an engineering or contractor's error.

thenetwork

Ohio -- My Former State:

- Intersections where I-, US- and/or OH- routes come together are well marked -- in advance AND at the intersection.
- County lines are well marked (bonus points when off the freeways, the signs will tell you the county you're entering AND the county you're leaving).

Colorado -- My current state:

- The most colorful state route markers in the country
- On most numbered highways in the open, speed limits are kept as high as possible, while only reducing speeds in the immediate areas where hazards are present (curves, hills, narrow lanes,...)
- Excellent signing in advance of and at most roundabouts

Pink Jazz

Quote from: D-Dey65 on December 20, 2015, 07:57:58 PM
This is also what I like about Florida better than New York. Many of the people I know from New York are amazed that you're allowed to drive that fast. I don't think it's fast enough.

In fact, FL now even has a few urban highways with 70 mph speed limits, with most of the Central Florida GreeneWay and the Western Beltway now with 70 mph speed limits.

cl94

Alright, I'll chime in here:

NYSDOT has really cut back on its use of span wire in much of the state in the past few years. Most newer installations are on mast arms. Much of New England has backplates and those work just fine. Heck, NYSDOT has been using backplates exclusively for a couple of years and those are fine.

Quote from: Brandon on November 16, 2015, 06:31:14 AM
We have them here in Illinois, Minnesota, and Wisconsin, same winter, maybe even colder, and they fare just fine.

Tell that to the Adirondacks. They have backplates and they're routinely the coldest place in the lower 48.

Back on topic, I like the signage for blanket speed limits in New York. Reduces the need to place a bunch of signs.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

jbnati27

Quote from: thenetwork on December 20, 2015, 10:53:47 PM
Ohio -- My Former State:

- Intersections where I-, US- and/or OH- routes come together are well marked -- in advance AND at the intersection.
•  County lines are well marked (bonus points when off the freeways, the signs will tell you the county you're entering AND the county you're leaving).
Very true. I like both of those, too. I remember when Ohio used to tell you the county you're entering AND the county you're leaving on the freeways as well. North Carolina also does this when you're off the freeways, by the way.

tdindy88

Indiana has signage just like the ones in Ohio and the new extension of Interstate 69 uses them as well, though I think that's just INDOT being cheap as the standard county line signs on interstates just have the county name.

SignBridge

Yes, it's true NYSDOT is using many more mast-arm mounted TSL's in recent years and I applaud them for that. So okay, can anyone tell me a reason why NYSDOT's backplates break and fall off after some years of use on span-wire hung signals. Maybe they use really poor quality backplates?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.