News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Diagonal Routes...North-South or East-West?

Started by Rover_0, October 30, 2009, 12:48:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hellfighter

I found a new one that qualifies. M-85 between I-75 and Oakman Bvrd is North-South. But on the northern part from the Rouge to Downtown...

Mergingtraffic

Quote from: Duke87 on October 31, 2009, 02:20:33 PM
Quote from: doofy103 on October 31, 2009, 02:11:30 PM
Also, in CT US-1 & I-95 are signed North & South and in CT actually run East & West. The state police refer to it as East & West.

I could have sworn I saw a sign somewhere once referring to Route 1 as East versus West. I think it was in Mystic...

Actually, you probably did...I saw one on US-1 in Norwalk saying E&W...but I noticed if I-95 signs it in a BGS...it usually N & S.
I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

Riverside Frwy

You would think that East/West North/South designation would be as "official" as the route number designation itself.Instead, they seem to just put them on there willy-nilly. :crazy:

Michael

I'm surprised that nobody has brought up the eastern (western?) end of I-64!

deathtopumpkins

Because its been beaten to death already elsewhere.  :ded:
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

travelinmiles

I know US 83 through the Rio Grande Valley in South Texas is signed east-west from Roma to the Mexican Border. Im not sure about the US 77 through the multiplex from Harlingen to Brownsville.

Rover_0

Quote from: travelinmiles on November 02, 2009, 12:30:52 PM
I know US 83 through the Rio Grande Valley in South Texas is signed east-west from Roma to the Mexican Border. Im not sure about the US 77 through the multiplex from Harlingen to Brownsville.

As is US-59, from Houston to Laredo.
Fixing erroneous shields, one at a time...

hm insulators

Quote from: Chris on October 31, 2009, 06:56:05 AM
How about US 101? It clearly runs east-west in the San Fernando Valley to past Santa Barbara, but I think it's signed as north-south.

Ditto a segment of the I-405: Although signed north/south, the segment between California 22 and Rosecrans Avenue runs almost due east/west. South of the 22, it's a diagonal until it ties into the "El Toro 'Y'." So the 405 runs due north/south only north of the sharp curve (the "South Bay Curve") at Rosecrans.

The stretch of US 60 from Phoenix to Wickenburg is a diagonal; it's known as Grand Avenue out to about Sun City West or so.
Remember: If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

I'd rather be a child of the road than a son of a ditch.

At what age do you tell a highway that it's been adopted?

Alps

Also, in CT US-1 & I-95 are signed North & South and in CT actually run East & West. The state police refer to it as East & West.

I could have sworn I saw a sign somewhere once referring to Route 1 as East versus West. I think it was in Mystic...
Several still left, though I only know of one on I-95 (one of the SB offramps).  US 1 was entirely east-west once upon a time, but first western CT (southwest of New Haven) went N/S and then the rest of the state followed suit.  If you do find any (and I have several on my site), it's a rarity.

Interstate 74 though well I have said it before ......

The New Illinois 336 is signed South Quincy at its current end in Macomb

kurumi

At the US 1 / CT 124 intersection in Darien, in 2004, US 1 was marked east/west and north/south (depending on which signing assembly you consulted): see top photo on http://www.kurumi.com/roads/ct/us1.html
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

TheStranger

The best juxtaposition of diagonal routes with different directional approaches would be the pairing of I-71 (north-south) and US 42 (east-west) from Louisville to Cleveland!  I've always felt the route was much more north-south to begin with.
Chris Sampang

agentsteel53

Quote from: ctsignguy on October 31, 2009, 12:21:54 PM
At one time, Ohio DID use tabs labelled N-EAST, N-WEST, S-EAST, and S-WEST for diagonal routes...that practice was ended sometime in the 1980s (prolly Federal pressure as usual), although you could still find them out in the wilds as late as the late 90s....

(used to have those four tabs too.....*snifflesob!*

I could've sworn I had a photo of such a thing, courtesy of Michael Summa... alas, this is the closest I can do.

live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

hbelkins

I have a photo of one of the diagonal-direction signs from Ohio -- think it's US 33 in Columbus -- that someone sent to me several years ago.

Regarding US 42, it's signed E-W in Kentucky but N-S in Ohio. Ohio also signs US 68 N-S as opposed to E-W in Kentucky, and US 35 E-W as opposed to N-S in both West Virginia and Indiana.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

corco

Wyoming 120 and US-310 in Wyoming are both signed as East-West, even though they're just slightly off-kilter from running along a vertical axis (a very "tight" diagonal if you will), which makes it quite confusing. WYO 120 East actually runs SOUTHWEST for a decent amount of time

Otherwise, WYO 28, 34, and 114 (all more "true" diagonals) are signed east-west

TheStranger

I-30 (east-west) and US 67 (ostensibly north-south) parallel each other significantly from Dallas to Little Rock.
Chris Sampang

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: hbelkins on January 07, 2010, 01:22:04 PM
I have a photo of one of the diagonal-direction signs from Ohio -- think it's US 33 in Columbus -- that someone sent to me several years ago.

That's ok, I've forgotten whose website I sent that photo to as well.
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

hbelkins

Quote from: osu-lsu on January 08, 2010, 12:24:43 AM
Quote from: hbelkins on January 07, 2010, 01:22:04 PM

That's ok, I've forgotten whose website I sent that photo to as well.

I thought it was you, since you were in that area at the time, but wasn't going to commit that to print and be later proven wrong. I've got a reputation to uphold!  :-D

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

roadman65

Quote from: hbelkins on October 31, 2009, 11:28:29 PM
Quote from: Master son on October 31, 2009, 11:00:07 PM
US 52 is a prime example

It is marked N-S in Iowa and Minnesota (MN is marked only St. Paul Southeastward, but it is marked E-W in North Dakota, Illinois, Indiana, Ohio (dunno about east of there, but I'm sure there's more Nouth-South markings (WV?, VA?, NC?)

US 52 is N-S in all three of those states you mentioned. Not sure how it's signed in South Carolina.

It is now E-W in SC spite that it runs N-S in that state and where it meets US 521 it has NB US 521 to the right of EB US 52 and SB to the left of it.  It is very confusing and they should sign it N-S.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

ftballfan

Quote from: getemngo on October 31, 2009, 12:44:10 PM
Quote from: wytout on October 31, 2009, 06:19:29 AM
One MA State route that always fascinated me as a kid was N-S marked Route 28, Which heads steeply diagonally NNW to SSE to the cape, heads dead south from the Bourne Bridge, then the fun begins.  The road turns ENE While maintaining the SOUTH directional on signage.  It continues generally East and slightly to the north for about 30 miles to Chatham where it turns heading NNW then pretty much dead north to terminate at the Orleans Rotary where it meets US6 and MA 6A, all the while being marked SOUTH.  Essential the southern-most 40 miles of this road are marked consistently with the rest of the route, but at no time is the road actually travelling in the direction that the signage says it is. 
Michigan's M-123 is similar.  It starts off south of Trout Lake as a standard N-S route, occasionally trending NW-SE.  Then, in Paradise, it turns due west while still being signed NORTH.  After a few more miles it bends southwest, and in the last few miles through Newberry you're heading due south when the directional tabs say NORTH!  The "northern" terminus also happens to be at M-28, a highway that it already crossed 20 miles to the east.
M-22 in Michigan is quite similar to those two. It starts north of Manistee at US-31, runs generally N-S with an occasional E-W jog (it closely follows the Lake Michigan shoreline north of Onekama), then turns back south at Northport and ends at US-31 (again!) in Traverse City (pointless, since the last mile or so is cosigned with M-72, which continues on the east side of Traverse City).

Back on topic, I think M-115 trends more east-west along its entire route (it is running due east-west at both of its termini). I do remember M-115 southeast of Cadillac being signed N-S, but now, I think the entire length is signed E-W.

pianocello

I hate the highways that change from n-s to e-w in the middle of the route (like I-69 in Michigan). IMO, 69 should be n-s all the way to Port Huron.

In Iowa, diagonal state highways are signed in its general direction. For example, hwy 130 is e-w and (as far as I know) hwy 60 is n-s. I'm pretty sure hwy 163 is e-w, but I'm not sure about hwy 330.
Davenport, IA -> Valparaiso, IN -> Ames, IA -> Orlando, FL -> Gainesville, FL -> Evansville, IN

Hot Rod Hootenanny

When in doubt, sign both directions.

US 62 (Nelson Road) in Bexley (Eastern Columbus suburb) just north of Broad Street (US 40)
I took that photo in 2003, so I don't know which one (or if both) still stands there. I didn't think of including it on the C-bus tour on Saturday.
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

JCinSummerfield

I've often felt the eastern leg of M-123 should be an extension of US-23 or US-31.

Quillz

Quote from: Chris on October 31, 2009, 06:56:05 AM
How about US 101? It clearly runs east-west in the San Fernando Valley to past Santa Barbara, but I think it's signed as north-south.
Caltrans has signed some FREEWAY ENTRANCE locations with "west" and "east" directions, but the actual reassurance markers on the freeway continue to state either "north" or "south."

Fcexpress80

I-82 in Washington State is an example of an Interstate that is diagonal.  When one looks at the end points, it is actually more north/south than east/west.  I would guess is it signed as an "even" interstate when you look at the corridor it serves from I-80 near Salt Lake City to I-90 and Seattle via I-84.  This corridor as a whole is diagonal and is more east/west than north/south.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.