News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

What is the highest numbered Highway in your State?

Started by national highway 1, April 30, 2010, 03:55:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

national highway 1

Hi everybody,
I'm wondering what the highest numbered highways is in each state.
Conditions:
Highest numbered State Hwy
Highest numbered US Route
Highest numbered Interstate
Highest decommissioned/unconstructed/unsigned, etc. route
(&, if this happens to be, County Hwy)
Thanks!  :sombrero:
"Set up road signs; put up guideposts. Take note of the highway, the road that you take." Jeremiah 31:21

Truvelo

Here in the UK the highest numbered road we have is the B9177 in Scotland. I believe some US States have 4-digit numbers so there could well be one with a higher number.
Speed limits limit life

bulldog1979

For Michigan:
Highest state trunkline: M-553
Highest US Highway: US 223
Highest Interstate: I-696
Highest decommissioned/unsigned: M-554
Highest current unsigned is M-331, unless you count the Connector 496 internal designation for the Capitol Loop or BS I-375 in Detroit.
Highest County Road: hard to say. Michigan has essentially 83 county systems with very little coordination, and since all roadways that aren't state trunklines, city streets or village streets are county roads. Many counties don't sign their roads with numbers. There is the County-Designation Highway system that functions like a secondary system. The highest number there is F-97, but the last number in the list is H-63. In my home area of Marquette County, the highest number county road is in the 600s, but I'd have to dig to specify the exact number.

Marquette County is larger the Rhode Island and almost the size of Delaware, after all. When challenged to list all of the county roads in a list article on Wikipedia, I had to prove that there's over a thousand roads maintained by the county to keep the list limited to state highways only. Most county roads in the county actually carry a two or three-letter designation instead of a number.

J N Winkler

Ausinterkid--I'd suggest you check the MTR FAQ.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

realjd

I think the highest numbered state highway in Florida is SR-9336 down in Florida City.

Bryant5493

Decommissioned Georgia State Route 754, which covered Old S.R. 5 from Marietta to Woodstock.

Be well,

Bryant
Check out my YouTube page (http://youtube.com/Bryant5493). I have numerous road videos of Metro Atlanta and other areas in the Southeast.

I just signed up on photobucket -- here's my page (http://s594.photobucket.com/albums/tt24/Bryant5493).

deathtopumpkins

Highest numbered route in Virginia (and I think the U.S.) is VA-90005, the hidden number for George Washington Memorial Pkwy up in Northern Virginia.
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

xonhulu

In OR:

Highest # state: OR 569
Highest # interstate: I-405
Highest # US Highway (and highest route # in the state, period): US 730

oscar

Quote from: deathtopumpkins on April 30, 2010, 08:52:27 AM
Highest numbered route in Virginia (and I think the U.S.) is VA-90005, the hidden number for George Washington Memorial Pkwy up in Northern Virginia.

Except that isn't really a "route number," IMHO.  The GW Parkway is a National Park Service road, and the NPS didn't assign that route number, nor is it posted.  VDOT's traffic count database (which necessarily includes non-VDOT roads significantly affecting traffic on its own roads) uses that number, but probably only because it's easier to label that road in the database by number rather than with an alphanumeric label.  So I think it more closely resembles Alaska DOT&PF's six-digit internal inventory numbers (which are never posted, and are assigned even to roads that have posted route numbers) than conventional route numbers.

Alaska's highest state route number (for the general public, posted on route markers and shown on maps) is 98, though there are U.S. Forest Service routes in Alaska with higher numbers.  Highest Interstate is A-4 (same as state route 3; unsigned, like the other three Alaska Interstates).  No U.S. routes.

Hawaii's highest state route number is 8930, for a new route which may not be posted; highest posted number is probably 7310.  There's a five-digit route number in Hawaii DOT's route inventory, 74140, but that is for one of the few county roads included in Hawaii's part of the National Highway System, and the county does not use any route numbering system of its own (though some stray county route markers remain from before the county numbering was abandoned), so I would treat that like Alaska's six-digit inventory numbers.  Highest Interstate:  H-201.  No U.S. routes.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

WillWeaverRVA

Quote from: oscar on April 30, 2010, 09:15:31 AM
Quote from: deathtopumpkins on April 30, 2010, 08:52:27 AM
Except that isn't really a "route number," IMHO.  The GW Parkway is a National Park Service road, and the NPS didn't assign that route number, nor is it posted.  VDOT's traffic count database (which necessarily includes non-VDOT roads significantly affecting traffic on its own roads) uses that number, but probably only because it's easier to label that road in the database by number rather than with an alphanumeric label.  So I think it more closely resembles Alaska DOT&PF's six-digit internal inventory numbers (which are never posted, and are assigned even to roads that have posted route numbers) than conventional route numbers.

Alaska's highest state route number (for the general public, posted on route markers and shown on maps) is 98, though there are National Forest routes in Alaska with higher numbers.  Hawaii's highest state route number is 8930, for a new route which may not be posted; highest posted number is probably 7310.  There's a five-digit route number in Hawaii's route inventory, 74140, but that is for one of the few county roads included in Hawaii's part of the National Highway System, and the county does not use any route numbering system of its own (though some stray county route markers remain from before the county numbering was abandoned), so I would treat that like Alaska's six-digit inventory numbers.  

The highest posted route of any kind in Virginia is SR 10650 in Fairfax County. The highest primary route is VA 895.
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

hbelkins

Kentucky is infamous for its four-digit state-maintained roads. Our highest posted routes are in the 3000-series* but many of them are unsigned, so it would be a crapshoot to try to figure out the highest posted route number.

*Kentucky's frontage roads are unsigned in the 6000 series and one is currently posted and signed (KY 6011 in western Kentucky) and one was signed for a few years (KY 6239 in Letcher County). Also, Kentucky's parkways have hidden 9000-series numbers and the overpass where the Mountain Parkway's westbound lanes cross over I-64 has a marker for KY 9000.

Our highest numbered interstate is 471 and our highest numbered US route is 641.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

US71

Highest Number or Highest POSTED Number?

Highest posted state route is AR 818

But Arkansas has numerous "invisible" routes such as 873 around the UofA campus.

Highest Interstate is I-540
Highest US is US 371
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

mefailenglish

In Maryland:

Interstate:  I-895
US Highway:  US 522
State Highway:  Well, the highest signed route is MD 956.  There used to be a posted MD 996 but it was decommissioned in 1999.  The highest route in the books is MD 999 but it's unsigned.

(All ripped off from mdroads.com)

Bryant5493

Georgia:

Highest numbered U.S. Route: U.S. 441
Highest numbered Interstate: I-985
Highest numbered signed State Route (that I've seen): S.R. 520

Be well,

Bryant
Check out my YouTube page (http://youtube.com/Bryant5493). I have numerous road videos of Metro Atlanta and other areas in the Southeast.

I just signed up on photobucket -- here's my page (http://s594.photobucket.com/albums/tt24/Bryant5493).

jdb1234

From Alabama:

Highest US Route: US 431
Highest Interstate: I-759
Highest signed state Route:  AL 759  (extension of I-759)
Otherwise: AL 299
Although According to ALDOT, there is a AL 604 in Opelika.

Brandon

Illinois;

Highest numbered State Hwy: IL-394
Highest numbered US Route: US-150
Highest numbered Interstate: I-474
Highest decommissioned: IL-594 (now I-190)
Highest unconstructed: I-494 (was for the Crosstown Expy)
Highest unsigned: Several 900 series routes on formerly signed state routes still maintained by IDOT
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

hbelkins

Quote from: US71 on April 30, 2010, 09:58:28 AM
Highest Number or Highest POSTED Number?

Highest posted state route is AR 818

But Arkansas has numerous "invisible" routes such as 873 around the UofA campus.

Highest Interstate is I-540
Highest US is US 371

What about all those "Airport 980" routes?

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

agentsteel53

CA has a state route 905, which is supposed to be I-905 sometime.  There is a 371, which is an old alignment of 71.  There was, back in the day, a 740, which was a spur off 74.  I think that route was gone by the 30s, as was 440, which is the other number over 198 that was in the original system.

Otherwise, nearly every number is less than 285 or so, with almost all of the numbers from 1 to 285 in use.

the highest numbered US route is 199, but at until 1964 it was 466.

the highest interstate is 980.  880 if you want a halfway legitimate one.  805 if you want one that isn't a blatant renumbering of a state route for brownie points.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

dfilpus

North Carolina:

Highest numbered State Hwy - NC 905
Highest numbered US Route - US 701
Highest numbered Interstate - I 795 (Future I 840 is signed)
Highest decommissioned/unconstructed/unsigned, etc. route
(&, if this happens to be, County Hwy) - North Carolina numbers all of its secondary roads with a 4 digit number that is unique to a county. These numbers are posted on road sign blades or on small white signs. There are thousands of them with numbering into the 2000's. What the highest number issued or posted is a major research issue, since NCDOT groups them by county.

vdeane

New York:
Interstate: I-990
US Route: US 219 or US 220 (depending on where you put the end of US 220; on Upstate NY Roads it's main st (old NY 17) in Waverly)
State Touring Route: NY 890
State Reference Route: NY 992P
Decomissioned/unsigned: depends on what you count; I-878 fits the bill, as do NY 790 and NY 781 (both are reserved but not used)
I think Chautauqua county has an unsigned CR 8139, but I'm not sure what to make of it.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

TheStranger

Quote from: agentsteel53 on April 30, 2010, 10:50:11 AM

the highest numbered US route is 199, but at until 1964 it was 466.

Actually I think 395 is the highest in California at present...
Chris Sampang

RustyK

Washington:
Interstate: 705
US Route: 730 (was 830 until 1968)
State Route: 971

shoptb1

Ohio:

Highest numbered State Hwy: OH-872 (Connects OH-7 over the Ohio River to WV-2 near Moundsville, WV)

Highest numbered US Route: US-422 (The western spur begins in downtown Cleveland, Ohio, and ends at Ebensburg, Pennsylvania)

Highest numbered Interstate Route: I-680 (Youngstown Loop connecting I-80 and I-76)

Duke87

Connecticut:

Highest numbered state route (signed): 372
Highest numbered state route (unsigned, current): 920
Highest numbered state route (unsigned, historically): 1001
Highest numbered US Route: 202
Highest numbered Interstate: 691
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

corco

Wyoming

Highest numbered: 789
US: 310
Interstate: 180

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.