News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Favorite Non-Interstate Highway(s)

Started by Ian, January 18, 2009, 10:41:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ian

So, theres a topic about favorite interstate highways, so I'd thought I would make a topic on what other members non-interstate highway favorites.

I'll start and I have a lot!

NH rte 16
NH rte 28
US 1
US 322
I-70 in Breezewood, PA (hahahaha  ;D)
US 15
PA 252 (right by my house)
NH rte 112/Kancamangus Highway
US 202
PA 183
US 22
NY 155
NY 85A
NY 157
NY 17
NY 9N
US 9
US 9W
MA 9
Autoroute 15 in Quebec (not an interstate is it???  ;))
US 6
NJ 72
NJ 70
ME 209
ME 196
ME 3
ME 27
MD 213
US 50
DE 1
DE 52
DE 92

So you see I have been to a lot of places and have traveled many roads! So, what are your favorite non-interstate highways?
I.C.
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

Voyager

Highway 29 in California. I was born in Napa and I love the highway up the Napa valley.
Back From The Dead | AARoads Forum Original

deathtopumpkins

CT-9.
Whenever I'm up in Connecticut I really do enjoy traveling on their state limited-access highways, and 9's my favorite, probably because of the scenery, the locations it goes to (Hartford and Essex), and the oddity that is the one signal-controlled at-grade intersection in a very tight place.

Second would have to be VA-168/NC-168/US-158/NC-12, which is the road from my city of Hampton, VA to the Outer Banks of North Carolina. It's a toll limited-access highway almost all the way to the state line, then 4 lanes with a shared left turn lane all the way to the Wright Memorial Bridge across the sound, joining with US-158 around the halfway mark. Then south of Nags Head once on the barrier island, NC-12 branches off, a 2-lane road with passing (though now there's too much traffic to pass even in non-peak months) that leads down for miles to all the beaches and little towns. I never get tired of those trips, though they're only little 2-hour or so ones.
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

rawr apples

US-26/Sunset Highway in West Portland strangely
M39 in Detroit, because its so urban, even if the cops are strict on the stretch through dearborn..55mph means 50
M14 in Ann Arbor,MI - very windy, with roundabout junctions which I love :)
Now shut up and drivee

Alex

Quote from: I.C.Ligget on January 18, 2009, 10:41:50 PM
So, theres a topic about favorite interstate highways, so I'd thought I would make a topic on what other members non-interstate highway favorites.

I'll start and I have a lot!

NH rte 16
NH rte 28
US 1
US 322
I-70 in Breezewood, PA (hahahaha  ;D)
US 15
<snip>
DE 1
DE 52
DE 92

So you see I have been to a lot of places and have traveled many roads! So, what are your favorite non-interstate highways?
I.C.

U.S. 15 is a fantastic ride leading north from Williamsport into New York. The ride along the Susquehanna is pretty nice too, especially with all of the upgrades of the 1990s (before that it was a three lane road with a suicide lane that was terrible).

Delaware 92? Naamans Road, you like that?!

Delaware 1 was a great road when it opened, but its so overridden with commuters now on the north side and the beach traffic is amazing during the warm months. They have state troopers that set up on the north approach to the Canal Bridge now too!

deathtopumpkins

Ick... Delaware 1. I don't understand why anyone takes it anyway. US-13's more direct, IMHO. And DE-1's tolled!
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Ian

Quote from: aaroads on January 18, 2009, 11:11:41 PM

Ya! It has rare Delaware traffic signal sun visor backplates! Which BTW, I found some Delaware sun visor backplates on US 202 at the Blue Ball construction area!
I.C.
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

swat-medic

My favorite non-interstate highway is Minnesota Highway #169.  It travels north to south up to Brainerd and goes all the way down into Iowa.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minnesota_State_Highway_169

Alex

Quote from: I.C.Ligget on January 18, 2009, 11:15:10 PM
Quote from: aaroads on January 18, 2009, 11:11:41 PM

Ya! It has rare Delaware traffic signal sun visor backplates! Which BTW, I found some Delaware sun visor backplates on US 202 at the Blue Ball construction area!
I.C.

Ha, I just saw those! Those are on U.S. 202 south at Augustine Cut-off

agentsteel53

I've always been a big fan of US Highway 20, as the very first old sign I remember noticing (in 1986) was on Comm Ave in Massachusetts, about a block from the eastern end.  A black square US 20 with the old-style Massachusetts font.  The shield dates back to the 1970s.

this being Mass. - the sign is still there to this very day.

I also like US 6, US 395, MSR 200, and any state route 62 (esp. Mass and CA)
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

roadfro

For scenic reasons, these three stand out for me:

• US 50, NV/CA 28, and CA 88 near Lake Tahoe.
  • NV 159 through Red Rock Canyon
  • UT-9 around Zion Nat'l Park

For pure nostalgia, and many roadgeek-related memories, my favorite has to be US 95 in NW Las Vegas.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

agentsteel53

UT-9 is an excellent road!  I forgot to mention that, and UT-95 as well.  Utah has some very lovely scenic highways.  UT-24 comes to mind as well, and also US-163 heading into Monument Valley.

for a more international flavor, I really like E6 in northern Norway. 
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

rawr apples

Now shut up and drivee

un1

410, no one said it had to be in America!
(Click on the 410 to see the Wikipedia article on it)

-un1
Moderator of the Canada and Off Topic boards.

Thunder Bay Expressway - Highway 61 and 11/17 Ontario - Thunder Bay, Ontario

ComputerGuy

I have one (twenty feet from house):

Washington State Route 531
Here's the shield:

Here's a pic I took and gave to Wikipedia:

And a very complicated map:

John

US 101 in California
Unconstructed CA-251
CA-1
MA-2
US-50
CA-28
CA-88
and others
They came, they went, they took my image...

ctsignguy

My favorites:

CT 9 for the reasons mentioned earlier...

US 6...it is fun driving 6 from Ohio to Connecticut like i did this last September....

http://s166.photobucket.com/albums/u102/ctsignguy/<br /><br />Maintaining an interest in Fine Highway Signs since 1958....

Darkchylde

US 50 between Montrose and Pueblo, CO, US 287 between I-35W and I-40 in Texas, and LA 1 for practically its entire distance.

deathtopumpkins

WillWeaverRVA

VA 288:

And VA 6:

I have other favorites, but I don't have any pictures of them. :P
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

us44mt

Some of my favorites.

US 44 in northwest Ct. and NY. Salisbury Ct. may be the best small town I've ever visited.
US 6 in NY and Pa.
US 209 in NY and Pa. 
US 11 in NY.
US 7 in Vermont.
NY 28, a great trip through the Catskills.
NY 97 north of Port Jervis as it hugs the Delaware.
Pa. 115 from I 80 to Wilkes Barre.
NY 55 west of Liberty. Nice old signs in this area.
NY 293. Amazingly desolate area in southern NY through the military camp areas.

algorerhythms

Maryland Route 657. It's just so delightfully crappy that it has a special place in my heart.

Urban Prairie Schooner

I don't have any particular favorite road - all undiscovered roads are a treat to me.

There are some beautful "backroad" state highways out in the Sugarcane Empire west and south of Baton Rouge, and also many gorgeous roads out in the rice prairies of southwest La.

This is referring to the scenery. The roads themselves, no surprise, are generally substandard in quality.

i-95

My favorite non-interstate highway is US- 441. I like it and believe it or not... i live right off the 441.

Bryant5493

Georgia 400 (T. Harvey Mathis/Turner McDonald Parkways): Got to be on your toes on this freeway. Folks are crazy, and I love it (lol).

Georgia 166 (Arthur Langford Parkway): Dangerous freeway. The reason being is that the entrance ramps to 166 are too short to merge safely. Regardless of this fact, it's still a nice, sweeping ride.

US 78/Georgia 10/410 (Stone Mountain Freeway): Nice view of the granite mound, known as Stone Mountain.

Georgia 316 (University Parkway): Nice rural drive. Too many traffic lights. Should've been a full freeway from I-85 to Paul Broun Parkway (Georgia 10).
Check out my YouTube page (http://youtube.com/Bryant5493). I have numerous road videos of Metro Atlanta and other areas in the Southeast.

I just signed up on photobucket -- here's my page (http://s594.photobucket.com/albums/tt24/Bryant5493).

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.