Longest stretch of 6 lanning, 8 lanning, 10 lanning

Started by ShawnP, July 06, 2011, 09:36:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ShawnP

I'm thinking I-95 in the northeast for 6 lanning, I-5 in California for 8 lanning and no clue on 10 lanning.

Bryant5493

I-285 is at least six lanes for all of its 60+ miles.

I-75 in Georgia is at least six lanes from the Tennessee-Georgia state line and through all of South Georgia, I think (the South Georgia road construction should be done now).

Be well,

Bryant
Check out my YouTube page (http://youtube.com/Bryant5493). I have numerous road videos of Metro Atlanta and other areas in the Southeast.

I just signed up on photobucket -- here's my page (http://s594.photobucket.com/albums/tt24/Bryant5493).

ShawnP

I like Georgia's six lanning of I-75 and I-95. South Carolina and North Carolina are a joke with their treatment of I-95.

RoadWarrior56

The six-lane segment of I-75 contines south into Florida all the way to the Florida Turnpike, which is over 100 miles south of the Georgia line.

CL

I-15 is at least six lanes from US-6 in Spanish Fork to 2700 North in Pleasant View (through Provo, Salt Lake, and Ogden metro areas), a distance of 91 miles.

Counting the HOV lane, an eight-lane stretch of I-15 will exist after December 2012 from US-6 in Spanish Fork to Layton Parkway in Layton, some 73 miles in length.

I wouldn't be surprised if I-25 through the Front Range rivals at least the six-lane mileage through the Wasatch Front, as they both share a vertically-stretched urban conglomeration.
Infrastructure. The city.

wriddle082

I believe I-75 in GA still has a gap in the six-laning in Macon, but I-475 generally bridges that gap in the general corridor.

I will say that I-95 in much of SC doesn't necessarily need the six-laning right away since it only goes through one major population center in the state (Florence, and it's six lanes there), but possibly widening it from Florence to NC would be needed due to the overflow of the I-20 traffic.  I think SC has a greater need in trying to widen I-26 from the I-385 split all the way to I-95.

I'm not as familiar with I-95 in NC or in VA south of Petersburg, but I'm sure it probably could use some extra lanes, perhaps south of I-40 and north of US 64 (direct routes to Raleigh).

Kentucky is really progressing well with widening I-65 and I-75 throughout the state.  I think I-75 is now six lanes from London (possibly Corbin) all the way to the Ohio River (and let's not forget OH's progress on 75 north of Dayton).  I-65 is now six lanes from the TN line to just past the Louie Nunn Cumberland Parkway and from the Wendell Ford Western KY Parkway on to the Ohio River, and they have plans to bridge that gap in the coming years.

I don't think TN has plans in place to continue the six-laning of 65 down to Goodlettsville or 75 down to Knoxville, but it wouldn't be easy for them to do so.  65 has a short dicey stretch between Millersville and Ridgetop that would need a bit of blasting, and 75 has Jellico Mountain.

ShawnP

Kentucky has 5 miles going now on I-65 for six lanning and 5 more in the pipeline. Scotty's Construction has offered to finance the rest to Elizabethtown themselves for state reimbursement. It's badly needed as their have been a ton of really bad accidents with full blown crossovers in the area.

NE2

Quote from: Bryant5493 on July 06, 2011, 10:05:32 PM
I-75 in Georgia is at least six lanes from the Tennessee-Georgia state line and through all of South Georgia, I think (the South Georgia road construction should be done now).
Unless things have changed very recently, it's four lanes between I-16 and the north I-475 junction, and so is I-475 to its first interchange (data from OpenStreetMap). But there are eight lanes total if you combine I-75 and I-475, so I'd count it.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

DeaconG

Florida's been real proactive in six laning I-95 through the state, the only two gaps where it's four laned is between I-4 in Daytona and the Beachline (part of which is being started as we speak) and between Palm Bay and Fort Pierce (unknown when, if ever, that stretch will get done).  I-4 is at least six lanes between Tampa and Sanford (with eight lanes between Disney World and Altamonte Springs).

I would be absolutely thrilled if they six laned I-10 between Jacksonville and Lake City/I-75, but I'll just have to count my blessings that they're finally getting it done between I-295 and SR 23.

And mad props to Georgia for their widening of I-95, they've been at it for at least...six, eight years?  IIRC, the last remaining bottleneck was in the Brunswick area and they were working on it the last time I passed that way (Christmas 2009).

North Carolina should be kicked in the taint for neglecting I-95, hard and repeatedly. :pan:  It's a traveshamockery-you do NOT want to be on I-95 there during the Christmas holidays-it's the world's fastest parking lot!
Dawnstar: "You're an ape! And you can talk!"
King Solovar: "And you're a human with wings! Reality holds surprises for everyone!"
-Crisis On Infinite Earths #2

RoadWarrior56

I believe there was a news story in Georgia in the last few months that celebrated the completion of the last segment of I-95 in the state as a six-lane facility.

kharvey10

I-95 is 6 lanes north of I-4 and at least 6 lanes when you approach the Space Coast.  It is still 4 lanes from I-4 to FL 528.

nexus73

In Oregon, I-5 is 6-laned from Salem to Portland.  That's the longest stretch of 6 or more lanes in Oregon, almost 50 miles.

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

DTComposer

I-5 is at least 6 lanes from the Mexico Border through the CA-99 split, which is about 210 miles.

And (I'm pretty sure) the only sections that are only 6 lanes is between CA-91 and I-605, so once that upgrade is (finally) complete it would be at least 8 lanes for that entire length.

1995hoo

Quote from: kharvey10 on July 07, 2011, 09:21:01 AM
I-95 is 6 lanes north of I-4 and at least 6 lanes when you approach the Space Coast.  It is still 4 lanes from I-4 to FL 528.

As of last week there were some four-lane sections south of FL-528 in the Melbourne area, but the construction to widen it to six lanes was very far along and looked likely to be done fairly soon (certainly by the end of the year).

Regarding the point DeaconG made about Georgia, there was no roadwork on I-95 in Georgia, at least not on the northbound carriageway, and it was either six or eight lanes through the entire state, narrowing when it came time to cross to South Carolina. It was very pleasant driving on there. The four-lane setup in South Carolina became that much more annoying around Ridgeland because the speedtrap was in full force and a lot of the drivers slowed down to 55 (the speed limit is 70). With two lanes on a side, there's no way to get around that sort of crap.

If you don't count the very brief segments on the flyover ramps at the Springfield Interchange in Virginia and the College Park Interchange in Maryland, I-95 is either six or eight lanes (minimum) from the I-85 interchange in Virginia (Exit 51) to roughly the exit for DE-4 in Wilmington (Exit 6), a distance of about 237 miles. I-95 narrows to four lanes for much of the portion through Wilmington; it's also four lanes for a portion of the area between Philadelphia and Trenton. The segment I mention between Petersburg and Wilmington also has a few sections with more than four or eight lanes.

Edited to fix a typo: I said "four or eight lanes (minimum)" when I meant "SIX or eight lanes (minimum)." In other words, from Petersburg, VA, to Wilmington, DE, I-95 has no fewer than six lanes total across all carriageways except for the very short portions that cross flyovers at the Springfield and College Park Interchanges.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

pianocello

What about 10 lanes? The longest stretch I know of is the Borman in NW Indiana... I think it's 10 lanes all the way from I-94/IL-394 to I-65

Even if it's not, the Borman would be part of the longest 8-lane stretch I know of, going from the Indiana E-W Toll Road (or I-65, I don't remember which) into Illinois and along the Tri-State Tollway to IL-173 at a distance of about 90 miles. The 6-laning goes another 60 miles east to Benton Harbor, Michigan and I would assume as far as Milwaukee, meaning 200+ miles of 6 lanes
Davenport, IA -> Valparaiso, IN -> Ames, IA -> Orlando, FL -> Gainesville, FL -> Evansville, IN

Bryant5493

With respect to I-75 through Macon, I forgot about that stretch being four-laned. The pavement's really rough through there, as well.

Best regards,

Bryant
Check out my YouTube page (http://youtube.com/Bryant5493). I have numerous road videos of Metro Atlanta and other areas in the Southeast.

I just signed up on photobucket -- here's my page (http://s594.photobucket.com/albums/tt24/Bryant5493).

vdeane

I believe Ontario wants to six-lane 401 over the entire route, so once that's done it'll be six lanes from the DRIC to the Quebec border, about 825 km.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

DeaconG

As of last week there were some four-lane sections south of FL-528 in the Melbourne area, but the construction to widen it to six lanes was very far along and looked likely to be done fairly soon (certainly by the end of the year).

October of this year is the projected end of the six-laning.  They're still cleaning up the Wickham Road and New Haven Avenue (US 192) overpasses where they had lane shifts, but everything else is done other than repaving.  The section between SR 528 and SR 406 (Garden Street) is just starting and the section between SR 406 and SR 400 in Volusia County might-MIGHT start in 2014.
King Solovar: "And you're a human with wings! Reality holds surprises for everyone!"

Mark D

Quote from: DeaconG on July 07, 2011, 01:11:36 AM
North Carolina should be kicked in the taint for neglecting I-95, hard and repeatedly. :pan:  It's a traveshamockery-you do NOT want to be on I-95 there during the Christmas holidays-it's the world's fastest parking lot!

LOL! I haven't ever been on it through NC, but I have been less impressed by I-95 in South Carolina than south of there. All of I-95 in Georgia is now 6 lanes, and traffic flowed beautifully when I was in Brunswick a couple weeks ago. The current widening of 95 in FL is from the Brevard/Volusia line to the Edgewater exit.

akotchi

The NJ Turnpike is at least 10 lanes (albeit across four carriageways) from Exit 8A to Exit 14, which is about 30 miles.  Add about 12 more if you count the eastern and western alignments as one roadway.
Opinions here attributed to me are mine alone and do not reflect those of my employer or the agencies for which I am contracted to do work.

formulanone

I-95 is 8 lanes from I-195/SR112 in Miami-Dade county to SR786 in northern Palm Beach county. Most of it is actually 10+ lanes wide, but it reduces to eight from SR 870 to Congress Avenue for about 25 miles. Total would thus be about 70-80 miles of 8-laned interstate.

I don't think it needs the extra lanes from SR 70 north to SR 60, and from SR 528 to SR 400...I've never seen it very congested, but planning ahead never hurt.

english si

The M6-M6 Toll-M6-A74(M)-M74 route gives you, other than through the M55 junction (southbound only for about 100yrds, northbound about 3/4 of a mile), about 300 miles of continuous 6+-lane mainline. If you count the M1 south of there (as the ramps from the M6 to M1 and vice versa are three lanes per direction) you get 364 miles of having more than three lanes each way on the route (save the very short bit north of Preston), allow the 2-lane M1-M25 and M25-M20 ramps and you could reach 447 miles, going over the Dartford Crossing to the Channel Tunnel.

For 8 lanes, (other than a some junctions - M1/M25 where you travel on 2-lane slip roads, A41, M40, M4, M3, A317, A3 and A217 junctions, where it drops down to 6 lanes through the junction) you can drive from Luton to Godstone, a distance of 62 miles.

It was planned to have the M1 8-laned north of Luton to at least Milton Keynes (if not the M6), but that's not happening now. It is still an aim to 8-lane Godstone to the M26 on the M25.

About 5 years ago, the plans were for almost all the M1 (only the bits south of Leeds, between the M6 and M69 and east of Leeds to remain 6-lane), M25 (only M20 to M26 left out) and M6 between Wolverhampton and Preston to be 8-laned, not to mention all the other bits (mostly near London and Manchester).

KEK Inc.

I-5 is 6 lanes from Vancouver, WA, to Exit 55.  Eventually, it will be 6 lanes from Portland to Seattle.
Take the road less traveled.

DeaconG

Quote from: formulanone on July 07, 2011, 01:37:54 PM
I-95 is 8 lanes from I-195/SR112 in Miami-Dade county to SR786 in northern Palm Beach county. Most of it is actually 10+ lanes wide, but it reduces to eight from SR 870 to Congress Avenue for about 25 miles. Total would thus be about 70-80 miles of 8-laned interstate.

I don't think it needs the extra lanes from SR 70 north to SR 60, and from SR 528 to SR 400...I've never seen it very congested, but planning ahead never hurt.

Thanksgiving.  Christmas.  New Years.
Weekends clogs it with serious truck traffic.
And after EVERY Shuttle launch...this last one's gonna be a total cluster[redacted].

Personally, I don't think it will EVER be six laned between SR 406 and SR 400 because I don't think the money will be there-they can plan all they want, but I don't think it will happen.  They also have been studying six laning the Beachline from Cape Canaveral to I-95...now that Shuttle is effectively hors de combat I think that study will be quietly shelved.  We'll be lucky to get the new westbound Beachline bridge over the Indian River started in 2013.

rte66man

OKc doesn't have losts of freeway above four lanes.  I 40 is six lanes from Yukon to Midwest City (about 30 miles).  Projects are ongoing to widen I40 west another six miles.  I35 is six lanes from 2nd St in Edmond to the southern I44 split in OKC, then again from the Fort Smith junction south to Norman (another 30 miles or so).  I44 is six lanes from the I35 junction by Frontier City south to the I240 split. 

rte66man
When you come to a fork in the road... TAKE IT.

-Yogi Berra

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.