News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Highways that change direction midway through

Started by ftballfan, July 17, 2011, 10:48:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ftballfan

There are many highways that change direction at least once.

In Michigan:
M-25: E-W, then N-S
M-43: E-W, then N-S, then E-W
M-62: E-W, then N-S
M-64: N-S, then E-W
I-69: N-S, then E-W
M-94: E-W, then N-S
I-196: N-S, then E-W

texaskdog

I-49 in Louisiana which hasn't been finished yet.

hbelkins

Quote from: ftballfan on July 17, 2011, 10:48:11 PM
There are many highways that change direction at least once.

Pretty much any full beltway. I find it odd, however, that I-265/KY 841 changes direction. It could actually be signed as E-W for its entirety.

The most unusual example has to be US 321, though, which goes from N-S to S-N. If you approach Elizabethton, Tenn. on US 19E, no matter which way you go on US 321, you will be going south.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Chicagosuburban

IL-137. It goes south from the IL-WI state line to Great Lakes then suddenly turns west and goes all the way to Grayslake.

I suppose IL-83 might qualify for this too. It goes north-south from the IL-WI state line all the way down to near Lemont, then goes mainly east-west to near the IL-IN state line at Lansing, then turns back north-south to end at US-30.
Bob Brenly for Cubs manager!

mgk920

WI 23 flips between north-south and east-west in the Wisconsin Dells, WI area.

Mike

national highway 1

"Set up road signs; put up guideposts. Take note of the highway, the road that you take." Jeremiah 31:21

Brandon

Quote from: Chicagosuburban on July 17, 2011, 11:54:00 PM
IL-137. It goes south from the IL-WI state line to Great Lakes then suddenly turns west and goes all the way to Grayslake.

I suppose IL-83 might qualify for this too. It goes north-south from the IL-WI state line all the way down to near Lemont, then goes mainly east-west to near the IL-IN state line at Lansing, then turns back north-south to end at US-30.

However, like IL-7, IL-83 is always marked North-South.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

codyg1985

US 98 changes from E-W to N-S in Perry, FL.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

rmsandw

IL 113 is marked E-W in Grundy County, N-S in Kankakee County, and N-S-E-W in Will County.
http://roads.billburmaster.com  Roads of the Mid-South & West
http://www.youtube.com/user/rmsandw YouTube Channel
http://www.billburmaster.com

Coelacanth

MN-95 is basically an upside-down L in shape.

agentsteel53

CA-18 and 38 are labyrinthine. 

ME-3 is somewhat oddly shaped as well.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

vdeane

NY 7 and NY 79 both do.  Not sure where the changes are, though; the DOT seems to like to hide them.  NY 79 doesn't even have ANY reassurance shields with a directional label between NY 17 (where it's north-south) and I-88 (where it's east-west).  Personally I'd have made the change at NY 7 (and NY 7's change where it splits from I-88 heading west), but this is clearly too abrupt for motorists to not be confused.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Eth

GA 20 does it twice.  It starts out going east from Alabama, then hooks around the east side of the Atlanta metro area, switching signed direction to south somewhere near I-85 and then again to west (opposite the original direction) in Henry County.

golden eagle

While the signage doesn't state such, I-85 north starts in a due east direction at Montgomery.

1995hoo

Quote from: golden eagle on July 18, 2011, 02:28:33 PM
While the signage doesn't state such, I-85 north starts in a due east direction at Montgomery.

It also has a reasonably significant east—west portion in North Carolina between Greensboro and Durham, largely (but not entirely, especially at the eastern end near Durham) contiguous with the I-40 multiplex; there's a shorter east—west portion between Gastonia and Charlotte.

I-70 runs pretty much due north—south between Breezewood and Hancock, though in the overall scheme of the entire road it's an insignificant portion. (The same could be said of I-75's jog across the Everglades.)

I think you could argue that I-95 from roughly the I-80 interchange in New Jersey to roughly the Rhode Island state line is predominantly east—west rather than north—south.

I-64 runs primarily north—south on its multiplexes with I-81 and I-77.

I-40 from Wilmington up to the Beltline around Raleigh is more north—south than east—west.

For purposes of this thread, I think it's best to omit routes whose numbers are designated over city streets (for example, US-29 and US-1 in DC change directions multiple times). US-29 does run pretty much east—west between Warrenton, Virginia, and DC, though, while running predominantly north—south for most of its length.

US-1 runs predominantly east—west along the Maine coast (roughly from Brunswick to the turnoff for Lubec).

Edited to add: As I re-read the thread, I now pause and wonder if the OP meant to include only highways that change their SIGNED directions. If so.....oops, although my reply was originally going to be just about I-85 and then grew longer as I thought about it.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Bryant5493

I-285 changes direction.

Between I-75/U.S. 41 and I-85/U.S. 23 ("Top End"), it's signed as West-East.
Between I-85/U.S. 23 and I-20 (East Side), it's signed North-South.
Between I-20 and I-85 (Southeastside), it's signed East-West.
Between I-85 and I-75 (West Side), it's siged North-South.

Be well,

Bryant
Check out my YouTube page (http://youtube.com/Bryant5493). I have numerous road videos of Metro Atlanta and other areas in the Southeast.

I just signed up on photobucket -- here's my page (http://s594.photobucket.com/albums/tt24/Bryant5493).

Chicagosuburban

Quote from: Brandon on July 18, 2011, 07:12:42 AM
Quote from: Chicagosuburban on July 17, 2011, 11:54:00 PM

However, like IL-7, IL-83 is always marked North-South.
Yes, because the north-south section is by far longer than the east-west section.
Bob Brenly for Cubs manager!

FreewayDan

California Route 2 (which is East-West) is signed North-South for the Glendale Freeway portion.  The non-freeway portion of California 13 is East-West, while the Warren Freeway (CA 13) is signed North-South.

Part of U.S. 59 east of Laredo is signed as East-West.
LEFT ON GREEN
ARROW ONLY

shadyjay

CT 218 changes direction from N/S to E/W
So does CT 72, CT 322, and a few others.
CT 154 NB starts at US 1 and runs south, then east, then north, then west, then back north, all within a couple miles due to a "coastal loop" through Knollwood, Fenwick, and Saybrook Point.

And of course, I-95 runs east/west in CT, especially east of New Haven, though its signed North/South, but at one time was signed east/west.  US 1 in the same area is signed both east/west and north/south, though the east/west signs are being replaced with north/south, for consistency.

Vermont routes are pretty consistent with direction, though I-89 between Montpelier and Burlington is essentially east/west and I've seen some old photos which had it signed as such.

Brandon

Quote from: rmsandw on July 18, 2011, 11:16:37 AM
IL 113 is marked E-W in Grundy County, N-S in Kankakee County, and N-S-E-W in Will County.

Which is funny because IL-113 crosses from IDOT D-3 to IDOT D-1 back to IDOT D-3.  And it is signed two different way in two different parts of D-3!
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Crewdawg

In Alaska AK-2 is North-South then West-East then back to North-South.

Jim

US 4 is N-S in New York, E-W in Vermont and New Hampshire.

NY 28 is a big "C" in eastern and central New York.  It's N-S for much of its route, but it's signed E-W at least near Kingston.  I know it's signed as "NY 28 South" when concurrent with NY 30 North, when it's really travelling ENE.  It's signed E-W again when it gets to Wevertown.
Photos I post are my own unless otherwise noted.
Signs: https://www.teresco.org/pics/signs/
Travel Mapping: https://travelmapping.net/user/?u=terescoj
Counties: http://www.mob-rule.com/user/terescoj
Twitter @JimTeresco (roads, travel, skiing, weather, sports)

ftballfan

Quote from: Jim on July 20, 2011, 09:01:26 PM
US 4 is N-S in New York, E-W in Vermont and New Hampshire.

NY 28 is a big "C" in eastern and central New York.  It's N-S for much of its route, but it's signed E-W at least near Kingston.  I know it's signed as "NY 28 South" when concurrent with NY 30 North, when it's really travelling ENE.  It's signed E-W again when it gets to Wevertown.

NY-28 starts out heading north out of Warrensburg, turns west near Wevertown, then south near Old Forge, then southeast near Oneonta, then east near Margaretville. Also, it has two separate concurrencies with NY-30, one between Blue Mountain Lake and Indian Lake and the other near Margaretville.

wriddle082

US 52 changes from E-W to N-S at the trumpet interchange with OH 7 in Chesapeake, OH, just before it crosses the Ohio River into Huntington, WV.  I'm pretty sure it remains signed as N-S all the way south through WV, VA, NC, and SC, but I believe all of the midwestern states sign it differently.

AZDude

Loop 101 goes N/S then E/W then N/S again.
Loop 202 goes E/W then N/S then E/W again.
Not sure if Loop 303 switches from N/S to E/W.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.