News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Unusual Exit Numbers

Started by roadman65, April 16, 2012, 06:44:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman65

Quote from: Michael on April 18, 2012, 07:14:48 PM
Quote from: deanej on April 17, 2012, 12:02:28 PM
NY 17.  Before PA switched to distance-based numbers, it went 1 (at I-90), 2, 4, 6, 7, etc. with still more gaps at exit 22, 55, etc.  Some at-grades have numbers (Hale Eddy is hidden 85 and 86, Parksville was 98, Horseheads was collectively 53, etc.) while others did not (such as Newton Battlefield).  It's as if the DOT had no clue what the freeway was going to look like when the numbers were installed.

The first exit in NY is still Exit 4.  This is the only place I know of where a road's exit numbering doesn't reset at a state line.  See Upstate NY Roads for an exit listing of I-86/NY 17.

The Palisades Interstate Parkway in NY and NJ have the same set of sequential numbering in both states.  1 to 4 are in New Jersey and 5 and up are in New York.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

MASTERNC

Quote from: akotchi on April 17, 2012, 12:22:25 PM
The Pennsylvania Turnpike has an unusual exit numbering sequence WB in the Philly area

The oddball is the milepost on I-476 of the Mid-County toll plaza; otherwise there would be two different exit numbers for that plaza.

It is only signed as Exit 20 on the mainline in three places in the sequence.

I always wondered why they couldn't make it Exit 334/20, depending on the direction.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: 6a on April 18, 2012, 06:46:17 PM
Does I-865 in Indy still have mile markers/exits in the 900's?  Even if it doesn't, it would be a historical oddity.
Don't believe it was the exit numbers in the 900s but the blue tenth mile markers in the medium.
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

national highway 1

"Set up road signs; put up guideposts. Take note of the highway, the road that you take." Jeremiah 31:21

agentsteel53

oh good heavens, someone post that under "worst of road signs" please.

the lack of "BYPASS" and "BUSINESS" banners is an odious New Mexico practice.  last week I got lost in Alamogordo at the 70-54/70-54 split due to similarly ambiguous signage.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Kacie Jane

Quote from: agentsteel53 on April 18, 2012, 11:26:37 PM
oh good heavens, someone post that under "worst of road signs" please.

I could have sworn I'd seen it there already.  Definitely seen it somewhere here already.  There are just soooo many things wrong with it, but the missing banners is definitely the most egregious error.

Alps

Quote from: PHLBOS on April 18, 2012, 03:21:15 PM
Quote from: 1995hoo on April 18, 2012, 03:14:07 PM
Exit 155P on the Garden State Parkway. There's a separate Exit 155 nearby (to the north of 155P). I think I read somewhere, might have been on this forum, that the unusual "P" suffix when no other suffix is in use there was intended to denote that the exit leads to a freeway connection into Paterson.
I believe that is correct.
Yes, and that part of 19 was originally planed as 444P.

cpzilliacus

NY 17.  Before PA switched to distance-based numbers, it went 1 (at I-90), 2, 4, 6, 7, etc. with still more gaps at exit 22, 55, etc.  Some at-grades have numbers (Hale Eddy is hidden 85 and 86, Parksville was 98, Horseheads was collectively 53, etc.) while others did not (such as Newton Battlefield).  It's as if the DOT had no clue what the freeway was going to look like when the numbers were installed.

The first exit in NY is still Exit 4.  This is the only place I know of where a road's exit numbering doesn't reset at a state line.  See Upstate NY Roads for an exit listing of I-86/NY 17.

Formerly, the exits on the  Capital Beltway did not reset between Virginia and Maryland.  Then Maryland went to a milage-based system starting at the Wilson Bridge (so the exit before the American Legion Bridge was 41, and the exit just south of the American Legion was 14), but now they are continuous again (though mileage-based) from the Wilson Bridge around to the Springfield interchange.  The Beltway between the Springfield Interchange and the Virginia side of the Wilson Bridge uses Virginia's I-95 mileposts, so the exit numbers there run from 170 at Springfield to 177 at U.S. 1 in Alexandria.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

1995hoo

The Hutch in New York and the Merritt Parkway in Connecticut used to have continuous exit numbers, but when New York renumbered theirs Connecticut didn't change their side, so now when you cross the state line you go from Exit 29 or 30 (I forget which) in New York to Exit 27 in Connecticut.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Eth

I-24 has two exits in Georgia, numbered 167 (I-59) and 169 (GA 299).  The route spends a total of just over four miles in Georgia, re-entering Tennessee at either end, so GDOT decided the best solution was to just pretend they were still in Tennessee for exit numbering purposes.  The mileposts on this stretch, however, are still numbered from 0 to 4.

Duke87

Quote from: 1995hoo on April 19, 2012, 03:01:02 PM
The Hutch in New York and the Merritt Parkway in Connecticut used to have continuous exit numbers, but when New York renumbered theirs Connecticut didn't change their side, so now when you cross the state line you go from Exit 29 or 30 (I forget which) in New York to Exit 27 in Connecticut.

No, it's worse than that. The 8-ramp interchange for NY 120A/King St is currently exits 30S and 27 northbound, and exits 27 and 27S southbound. King St is right on the state line here, so half of the interchange is in New York maintained by NYSDOT and half of it is in Connecticut maintained by ConnDOT. New York makes no mention whatsoever of Connecticut's exit, and Connecticut makes only sloppy afterthought mention of New York's.

And if that wasn't complicated enough, New York has one sign which refers to their exit as 30 (not 30S), and Connecticut has one which refers to theirs as 27N (not 27). NYSDOT was even so bold as to place an EXIT 27N gore sign right in front of Connecticut's EXIT 27 gore sign southbound at one point (it lasted a few months before it was removed).

This has been the situation for the past decade or so since New York redid that portion of the Hutch and Connecticut replaced all the signs on the Merritt. Previously, New York signed their exit consistently as 30 northbound, and southbound there was nothing, not even a gore sign. Connecticut had full signage for their exit 27 southbound and a gore sign for their exit 27 northbound. Neither made any mention of the other state's exit.

Of course, these 8 ramps used to be utterly redundant since all turns were allowed from all of them. It could easily be just a four ramp interchange if the two DOTs could manage to coordinate who would close which ramps. Then Connecticut blocked off the left turn/straight lane from their southbound exit a few years back (but the error CT 120A shield there survived), forcing that traffic to use New York's exit - and so they had to start signing it.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

sp_redelectric

Quote from: Michael on April 18, 2012, 07:14:48 PMThis is the only place I know of where a road's exit numbering doesn't reset at a state line.

In Washington state, exit numbers (and mileposts) on I-205 are contiguous with Oregon and are counted from the southern end with I-5.  But both I-5 and I-82 have the mileposts and exit numbers reset.  (I don't see the point with I-82, given how little of the route exists in Oregon, but it makes plenty of sense with I-205 as there would be duplicating exit numbers just 20 miles apart from each other.)

bassoon1986

Quote from: Eth on April 19, 2012, 09:28:27 PM
I-24 has two exits in Georgia, numbered 167 (I-59) and 169 (GA 299).  The route spends a total of just over four miles in Georgia, re-entering Tennessee at either end, so GDOT decided the best solution was to just pretend they were still in Tennessee for exit numbering purposes.  The mileposts on this stretch, however, are still numbered from 0 to 4.

IIRC, those signs used to show both sets of exit numbers with one of them in parentheses.like 167 (1)  or something like that

D-Dey65

Quote from: national highway 1 on April 18, 2012, 11:20:36 PM
Quote from: okroads on April 18, 2012, 05:13:55 PM
http://g.co/maps/e9xb7

Exits A&B in Roswell, NM off of U.S. 70 West
Here's the image:

I've always believed that if NYSDOT had enough sense to extend Northern State Parkway to the Long Island Expressway, they should have Exit W-A for eastbound NY 25, Exit W-B for westbound NY 25, and Exit W-C for the Westbound I-495.

Yes, I know they originally planned the interchange with Jericho Turnpike as a diamond interchange, but a parclo would've made more sense there.

okroads

Today, I was in Peoria, IL, and noticed that IL 6 South at I-74/I-474 has Exits A & B.

roadman65

I-4's exit number for US 17, US 92, and FL 50 going east in Orlando, FL is Exit 83 A and there is no longer an Exit 83 thanks to the person who decided that the South Street  left Westbound exit should not reopen after the Amway Center did.  Plus, Exit 83 A was briefly Exit 83B as 83A was for Robinson Street  a former exit prior to the South Street/ FL 408 interchange construction.

Then going Westbound the exit for the same is Exit 84A as Eastbound 83A, cause of changes made combining Exit 84 into A& B suffixes as former WB Exit 84 was the c/d ramp to both Ivanhoe and US 17, US 92, and FL 50.  That is why the mileage based system is not that great in urban areas with exits less than a mile apart and using c/d roadways and service roads like I-4 uses in Downtown Orlando.

Sheryl Crowe

roadman65

I still see New York still uses its N-S and E-W suffixes over the A & B letters on multiple ramp interchanges.   I believe that NY is the only one left except for Exit 212 on I-80 in PA.  PennDOT dropped directional suffixes even before the mile based exits were added and unless PA still has them elsewhere, I am to assume only the Empire State uniquely uses them.

The Richmond- Petersburg Turnpike had one for VA 10 at Chester before the Old Dominion State went to mile based numbers.  I cannot think of any place that would still have other than NYS.

Sheryl Crowe

Kacie Jane

Off the top of my head, definitely Connecticut as well.

signalman

Add Vermont to the directional suffix list too

1995hoo

Quote from: roadman65 on May 18, 2012, 02:38:58 PM
I still see New York still uses its N-S and E-W suffixes over the A & B letters on multiple ramp interchanges.   I believe that NY is the only one left except for Exit 212 on I-80 in PA.  PennDOT dropped directional suffixes even before the mile based exits were added and unless PA still has them elsewhere, I am to assume only the Empire State uniquely uses them.

The Richmond- Petersburg Turnpike had one for VA 10 at Chester before the Old Dominion State went to mile based numbers.  I cannot think of any place that would still have other than NYS.

I remember Virginia having a fair number of directionally-suffixed ramps in Northern Virginia when I was a kid. The (now-demolished) left-lane exit from the Inner Loop of the Beltway to I-66 was Exit 9W, for example. I believe they did away with this prior to, or maybe shortly after, the December 1982 opening of I-66 inside the Beltway, however, because I don't ever remember the ramp to inbound I-66 being numbered as Exit 9E (and at the time the I-66 extension opened we lived near Fairfax Hospital and used the Beltway there quite frequently). We moved to a neighborhood off VA-236 a few months later and I recall that interchange's ramps were Exit 6A and 6B for the entire time I lived out there until VDOT renumbered the Beltway exits around 2000 or so.

I don't know of any directional suffix anywhere outside of New York anymore–which isn't to say they don't exist (as two other people have said they do), just that I don't recall any. I remember when they made the switch I thought the idea of "A" and "B" made sense as easier to remember, but on the other hand back then I didn't notice that the "A" and "B" usually correspond on the two carriageways. That is to say, on one side of the road you encounter Exit 6A and then Exit 6B, but on the other side you encounter 6B and then 6A. I've always found that a bit illogical. I suppose the theory is that the exit number is then the same for the same direction on the other road (in this case, Exit 6A took you to VA-236 west towards Fairfax), and I understand the logic there, but having "B" before "A" just seems backwards. I suppose it's not as bad as Exits 21, 21B, and 21A on the New York Thruway.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

PurdueBill

Quote from: Hot Rod Hootenanny on April 18, 2012, 10:59:04 PM
Quote from: 6a on April 18, 2012, 06:46:17 PM
Does I-865 in Indy still have mile markers/exits in the 900's?  Even if it doesn't, it would be a historical oddity.
Don't believe it was the exit numbers in the 900s but the blue tenth mile markers in the medium.

The 900s mileposts went away when it was renumbered to 865.  Now 865 starts at mile 0 and ends at just about mile 5.  There are no exits other than the termini, and they weren't numbered when it was part of 465 and still aren't numbered now, notwithstanding one mention of "Exit 0" heading westbound on an Indy-multiplex-style "US 52 follow I-865 to Exit 0" sign.  While the westbound traffic only has one option, NB on 65, EB 865 has a choice when it hits 465, and the ramp to 465 SB probably ought to get an exit number but probably never will.  Maybe if an exit is built in between the ends of 865, that would force them to number the EB-SB exit.

Quote from: 1995hoo on May 18, 2012, 06:13:55 PM
Quote from: roadman65 on May 18, 2012, 02:38:58 PM

I remember Virginia having a fair number of directionally-suffixed ramps in Northern Virginia when I was a kid. The (now-demolished) left-lane exit from the Inner Loop of the Beltway to I-66 was Exit 9W, for example. I believe they did away with this prior to, or maybe shortly after, the December 1982 opening of I-66 inside the Beltway, however, because I don't ever remember the ramp to inbound I-66 being numbered as Exit 9E (and at the time the I-66 extension opened we lived near Fairfax Hospital and used the Beltway there quite frequently). We moved to a neighborhood off VA-236 a few months later and I recall that interchange's ramps were Exit 6A and 6B for the entire time I lived out there until VDOT renumbered the Beltway exits around 2000 or so.

I don't know of any directional suffix anywhere outside of New York anymore–which isn't to say they don't exist (as two other people have said they do), just that I don't recall any. I remember when they made the switch I thought the idea of "A" and "B" made sense as easier to remember, but on the other hand back then I didn't notice that the "A" and "B" usually correspond on the two carriageways. That is to say, on one side of the road you encounter Exit 6A and then Exit 6B, but on the other side you encounter 6B and then 6A. I've always found that a bit illogical. I suppose the theory is that the exit number is then the same for the same direction on the other road (in this case, Exit 6A took you to VA-236 west towards Fairfax), and I understand the logic there, but having "B" before "A" just seems backwards. I suppose it's not as bad as Exits 21, 21B, and 21A on the New York Thruway.

Mass still had a couple old N-S/E-W exits on 128 in Danvers; are they still there?  It's been nearly a year since I checked, despite being in Peabody just 48 hours ago.  Exit 25E-W (Route 114) was renumbred back in the late 80s; the NB 128 signs were mostly replaced to show directions with the shields but the SB signs were not; only the exit suffixes were changed so the exits would have the same numbers in both directions.  That led to signs which for over 20 years read "Exit 25B/114/Middleton" and "Exit 25A/114/Salem" with no indication of the direction at all.  Wonder why they didn't at least slap a direction plate on or something.
Exit 23N-S (Route 35) and 22E-W (Route 62, only split on 128 NB) kept their directional suffixed exit numbers until at least a year ago, but I believe those signs were scheduled for replacement and probably would get A-B lettering when replaced.

The Ohio Turnpike had a similar issue with Exits 3, 3B, 3A to New York's 21s.  The mileage-based numbers took care of that, but it was fun while it lasted.

mukade

Quote from: PurdueBill on May 18, 2012, 11:13:40 PM
The 900s mileposts went away when it was renumbered to 865.  Now 865 starts at mile 0 and ends at just about mile 5.  There are no exits other than the termini, and they weren't numbered when it was part of 465 and still aren't numbered now, notwithstanding one mention of "Exit 0" heading westbound on an Indy-multiplex-style "US 52 follow I-865 to Exit 0" sign.  While the westbound traffic only has one option, NB on 65, EB 865 has a choice when it hits 465, and the ramp to 465 SB probably ought to get an exit number but probably never will.  Maybe if an exit is built in between the ends of 865, that would force them to number the EB-SB exit.

The 900s are gone from the old I-465 dogleg, but they're back on SR 641 in Terre Haute. Note, the exits are not numbered (yet, at least) and there aren't even the regular freeway mile markers, but there are the standard INDOT blue ones.

ftballfan

In Michigan, neither end of M-6 has exit numbers, yet the western terminus of I-96 is Exit 1.

US-31 has a few oddities. First, the northern termini of both sections have exit numbers. In effect, US-31 exits itself at Exit 24 (east of Benton Harbor) and Exit 170A (east of Ludington). Second, the oddball Exit 47AB in Holland, which appears to be based on I-196 milemarkers (US-31 splits off of I-196 at Exit 44, and this interchange appears to be about three miles north of the split). If this interchange was numbered properly, it would likely be in the mid-to-upper-70s range.

roadman65

Quote from: ftballfan on May 18, 2012, 11:34:17 PM
In Michigan, neither end of M-6 has exit numbers, yet the western terminus of I-96 is Exit 1.

US-31 has a few oddities. First, the northern termini of both sections have exit numbers. In effect, US-31 exits itself at Exit 24 (east of Benton Harbor) and Exit 170A (east of Ludington). Second, the oddball Exit 47AB in Holland, which appears to be based on I-196 milemarkers (US-31 splits off of I-196 at Exit 44, and this interchange appears to be about three miles north of the split). If this interchange was numbered properly, it would likely be in the mid-to-upper-70s range.

I saw that there in 08.  I thought it was part of Business I-196's exit numbering scheme.  It might of been that the Holland Bypass on I-196 might of been completed later on and this was defacto I-196 until completion.   I suppose if Michigan ever gets US 31 upgraded to freeway from Holland to Grand Haven it will change, but then again will they complete the missing freeway segment at Benton Harbor anytime soon or continue past Ludington to maybe Traverse City in our lifetime either?

Sheryl Crowe

ftballfan

Quote from: roadman65 on May 19, 2012, 01:27:09 PM
Quote from: ftballfan on May 18, 2012, 11:34:17 PM

I saw that there in 08.  I thought it was part of Business I-196's exit numbering scheme.  It might of been that the Holland Bypass on I-196 might of been completed later on and this was defacto I-196 until completion.   I suppose if Michigan ever gets US 31 upgraded to freeway from Holland to Grand Haven it will change, but then again will they complete the missing freeway segment at Benton Harbor anytime soon or continue past Ludington to maybe Traverse City in our lifetime either?
The Benton Harbor segment is still marked as "under construction" on most maps (including the official state map), while not appearing at all in DeLorme's atlas or on MDOT's website. Has it been officially cancelled (making Napier Ave a permanent rerouting of US-31)? It seems like MDOT only does new road projects in five counties (Kent, Macomb, Oakland, Ottawa, Wayne). Also, I don't think there have really been any official plans for an extension of the freeway north of Ludington.

Looks like MDOT is considering the M-231 project (which would serve more as a faster way to Allendale/GVSU than a Grand Haven bypass) so Ottawa County wouldn't have to consider building a new bridge of their own and/or four-laning 68th Ave.

About I-196, I think the segment between US-31 and Grandville wasn't completed until the 1970s while the rest was completed by the early 1960s.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.