Mile markers on non-interstates

Started by golden eagle, April 28, 2012, 11:10:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

golden eagle

Some portions of US 49 through Yazoo County, MS, has mile markers. I'm sure I've seen mile markers on other non-interstates before, but can't recall right off.

Brandon

Michigan has standard white-on-green milemarkers on US-131, US-127, M-39, M-10, M-14, and US-23.
IIRC, Indiana has them as well on US-31 and US-20, and IN-912.
Illinois does not.  Instead, Illinois uses their circular postmile-type markers.  However, when the East-West Tollway (I-88) was IL-5, it did have standard milemarkers, IIRC, marked from the beginning of IL-5, a bit west of the end of current I-88.
I also recall Wisconsin using standard milemarkers (US-51 and US-41 come to mind).
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

realjd

US1 through the Keys. Any toll freeway in Florida.

Takumi

VA 288
VA 33 between I-64 and West Point (surface road, mileage goes east to the bridge over the Pamunkey River)
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

ap70621

New Jersey puts mile markers on all Interstates, U.S., state, and county highways.

Scott5114

US 62, an expressway, has standard mile markers in southwestern Oklahoma, particularly between Altus and Lawton. Strange because Oklahoma typically doesn't post mile markers on anything but Interstates.

Kansas seems to post mini mile markers on all highways.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

huskeroadgeek

Nebraska posts mile markers on all state highways, although the markers on non-interstates are smaller in size than the ones on interstates.

tdindy88

Quote from: Brandon on April 28, 2012, 11:19:21 PM

US 41, SR 62 and SR 66 in the Evansville area has the blue ITS milemarkers in addition.

KEVIN_224

Connecticut seems to only have them on state routes if they're expressways, such as CT Route 9 from Old Saybrook to Farmington (MM 40 is right at the end, as the road splits for I-84/US 6 East (Exit 31) and West (Exit 32).

mcdonaat

Louisiana puts them on the state and US highways, but strangely enough, only in one direction. I think mile markers are getting more expensive to place, especially with the new tradition of pouring concrete before placing the sign

wytout

MA is a fan of them sporadically on surface US highways and major state routes.  MA is VERY consistent w/ them on all expressways regardless of status as Interstate, US highway, or State Route.
-Chris

Beltway

Quote from: Takumi on April 28, 2012, 11:22:34 PM
VA 288
VA 33 between I-64 and West Point (surface road, mileage goes east to the bridge over the Pamunkey River)

VA-150
VA-895
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

Darkchylde

I've only seen them on two non-Interstates over here, and maybe only one or two on the routes as well - one on LA 21 near Angie, and another on US 190 west of Covington.

mukade

Quote from: tdindy88 on April 29, 2012, 12:33:31 AM
Quote from: Brandon on April 28, 2012, 11:19:21 PM

US 41, SR 62 and SR 66 in the Evansville area has the blue ITS milemarkers in addition.

It definitely is not consistent in Indiana. Existing US 31 around Kokomo which is not a freeway also has the blue enhanced (.2 miles) mile markers. According to online plans, US 31 Hamilton County will also have these.

The new US 31 Kokomo and US 24 freeways have the standard green ones - I believe the INDOT standard is every half mile for freeways. I haven't seen the plans online for US 31 Plymouth to South Bend, but I assume it will be the same there.  SR 25 expressway plans show them every mile.

Every state highway in Indiana has the small blue ones with "0" being south and west.

roadman65

State highways in Georgia have them, but the reset at every county line.  Also, they are mileage for ONLY state designations.  For example, the independent section of US 301 in Charlton County has its mileposts to the FL Border along GA 23 that is US 301's secret route number there.   GA 23 parts from US 301 at Folkston and head into that section of Georgia that interlocks into Florida along the bend of the St. Mary's River.  Therefore its mileage to the Sunshine State is more than that of US 301, so it fools many when they enter the county from the north.

Only place I have seen mile markers to do this anywhere.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

CentralCAroadgeek

Here in California, the only highway that has the green mile markers is the non-interstate CA-58. I don't remember which county they are in, most likely Kern. All other highways use the white mile markers that measure mileage within a county.

On another note, California does have exit numbers on ALL freeways, which I really appreciate.

NE2

Osceola County, FL paints (or used to paint) mile numbers in yellow in the middle of the lane.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

blawp

California also has mile indications on the call boxes.

74/171FAN

I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

vdeane

NY puts mile markers on all freeways except I-481/NY 481 in Onondaga County.  We also have reference markers on all state-maintained roads that are functionally similar to California's post-mile system.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

kphoger

Blue freeway-style milemarker with shield on a non-freeway segmant of Kellogg (US 54/400) in Wichita:
http://g.co/maps/6dpzk
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

myosh_tino

Quote from: CentralCAroadgeek on April 29, 2012, 11:47:40 AM
Here in California, the only highway that has the green mile markers is the non-interstate CA-58. I don't remember which county they are in, most likely Kern. All other highways use the white mile markers that measure mileage within a county.
I believe there are green mile markers on the short segment of US 6 and on some county routes in San Diego County.  IIRC, these mile posts are also somewhat smaller than those used in other states.

Quote from: CentralCAroadgeek on April 29, 2012, 11:47:40 AM
On another note, California does will eventually have exit numbers on ALL freeways, which I really appreciate.
Fixed that for ya!  :-D
Quote from: golden eagle
If I owned a dam and decided to donate it to charity, would I be giving a dam? I'm sure that might be a first because no one really gives a dam.

hbelkins

Kentucky, Ohio, West Virginia and Tennessee post them on state highways, and the markers reset at county lines. Illinois also has a system of mile markers that reset at county lines, and they serve as reassurance markers that tell you the route number and the county you're in.

Tennessee's are unique in that on US routes, they show the hidden state route numbers.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Beltway

Quote from: Beltway on April 29, 2012, 08:12:38 AM
Quote from: Takumi on April 28, 2012, 11:22:34 PM
VA 288

VA-150
VA-895

In the process of being posted on I-195 and VA-195.  Only a few on VA-195 so far, but it appears as if the whole route will start mileposting at the downtown I-95/VA-195 interchange, and follow VA-195 onto I-195, and end at the Bryan Park Interchange (I-95/I-64/I-195).

http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

Takumi

Quote from: Beltway on April 29, 2012, 05:31:36 PM
In the process of being posted on I-195 and VA-195.  Only a few on VA-195 so far, but it appears as if the whole route will start mileposting at the downtown I-95/VA-195 interchange, and follow VA-195 onto I-195, and end at the Bryan Park Interchange (I-95/I-64/I-195).

150 and 895 also share mileage, right?

Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.