News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Mile markers on non-interstates

Started by golden eagle, April 28, 2012, 11:10:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beltway

Quote from: Takumi on April 29, 2012, 07:12:35 PM
Quote from: Beltway on April 29, 2012, 05:31:36 PM
In the process of being posted on I-195 and VA-195.  Only a few on VA-195 so far, but it appears as if the whole route will start mileposting at the downtown I-95/VA-195 interchange, and follow VA-195 onto I-195, and end at the Bryan Park Interchange (I-95/I-64/I-195).

150 and 895 also share mileage, right?

Yes, starting at I-295 and advancing to VA-76.  And there are no plans to change the route to one number.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

Eth

Quote from: hbelkins on April 29, 2012, 05:08:20 PM
Tennessee's are unique in that on US routes, they show the hidden state route numbers.

I've seen a (very) few in Georgia that show the state route number in small text underneath the mileage.  I seem to recall this happening somewhere on I-75, and indeed the text read "401".

WillWeaverRVA

VA 207 and parts of US 301 northeast of Bowling Green.
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

sp_redelectric

Oregon puts mile markers on all state highways, Interstate, U.S., Oregon or "hidden".  A few counties - Clackamas and Multnomah in particular - do as well.

BamaZeus

Alabama has mile markers on state and US highways

ftballfan

Quote from: Brandon on April 28, 2012, 11:19:21 PM
Michigan has standard white-on-green milemarkers on US-131, US-127, M-39, M-10, M-14, and US-23.
IIRC, Indiana has them as well on US-31 and US-20, and IN-912.
Illinois does not.  Instead, Illinois uses their circular postmile-type markers.  However, when the East-West Tollway (I-88) was IL-5, it did have standard milemarkers, IIRC, marked from the beginning of IL-5, a bit west of the end of current I-88.
I also recall Wisconsin using standard milemarkers (US-51 and US-41 come to mind).
For Michigan, add US-31, US-10, and M-6.

Bickendan

Quote from: sp_redelectric on April 30, 2012, 12:38:29 AM
Oregon puts mile markers on all state highways, Interstate, U.S., Oregon or "hidden".  A few counties - Clackamas and Multnomah in particular - do as well.
Milemarkers follow the internal Oregon Highways, though, not the signed Oregon Routes.

bulldog1979

Quote from: ftballfan on April 30, 2012, 06:07:33 PM
Michigan has standard white-on-green milemarkers on US-131, US-127, M-39, M-10, M-14, and US-23.
IIRC, Indiana has them as well on US-31 and US-20, and IN-912.
Illinois does not.  Instead, Illinois uses their circular postmile-type markers.  However, when the East-West Tollway (I-88) was IL-5, it did have standard milemarkers, IIRC, marked from the beginning of IL-5, a bit west of the end of current I-88.
I also recall Wisconsin using standard milemarkers (US-51 and US-41 come to mind).
For Michigan, add US-31, US-10, and M-6.
And the western section of US 2 along with the westernmost portion of the eastern segment. The markers end at the Dickinson—Menominee county line as I recall, and they included the mileage through Florence County, Wisconsin, in the measurements.

kphoger

I despise, loathe, consider anathema any highway whose mileposts reset at each county line.  Kentucky, are you listening??

Illinois's highways, including its secondary state highway (federal aid) system, have unique mileposts which incorporate the route number–in the case of secondary highways, it is the hidden route number.  Here's an example from that wikisite...

In this case, it would be on state highway 126, in Will County, 5 miles from the county line (grr..)
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Ohio...
On the left, the older style with county designation and route number. On the right, no mention of county or route number. Has become the norm the last decade or so
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

Revive 755

There are the closer to standard green mile markers on the Elign - O'Hare and on the US 41/Edens for a short distance north of where I-94 splits off to join the Tri-State.

Missouri does not do mile markers on non-interstates excpet for a few freeways, such as MO 364, MO 370, and more recently MO 21/Blood Alley Freeway.   I think there may be a few around Kansas City on a freeway (US 169?) also.

PHLBOS

PA uses them on most freeways that run roughly 5 miles or longer.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

1995hoo

The last time I drove on the Prince William Parkway in Virginia (it was then a secondary route; it's now part of the primary system) I noticed it had kilometre posts along part of the route, although they incorrectly abbreviated it as "KM" instead of the proper "km" (capitalization matters with SI units). I found it odd because a stupid state statute prohibits use of public funds for SI signage.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

froggie

QuoteAlabama has mile markers on state and US highways

Moreso state highways than US highways.  And the reason I say this is because A) every US highway in Alabama has an underlying state highway, and B) the milemarkers are for those underlying state highways.  This is the reason that you'll see two "Milepost 3"s on US 45, for example.

brownpelican

Quote from: mcdonaat on April 29, 2012, 06:14:31 AM
Louisiana puts them on the state and US highways, but strangely enough, only in one direction. I think mile markers are getting more expensive to place, especially with the new tradition of pouring concrete before placing the sign

There's a few remaining on major STATE highways too...but they're slowing dying out.

roadfro

Nevada only uses MUTCD-style reference posts on Interstates. NDOT uses milepost panels similar to California's postmile system, with resets at county lines.

Quote from: myosh_tino on April 29, 2012, 04:25:38 PM
Quote from: CentralCAroadgeek on April 29, 2012, 11:47:40 AM
Here in California, the only highway that has the green mile markers is the non-interstate CA-58. I don't remember which county they are in, most likely Kern. All other highways use the white mile markers that measure mileage within a county.
I believe there are green mile markers on the short segment of US 6 and on some county routes in San Diego County.  IIRC, these mile posts are also somewhat smaller than those used in other states.

Confirmed...at least on US 6 from NV state line to CA 120.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

cpzilliacus

Md. Route 200 (InterCounty Connector) has them every 1/10th of a mile (as do most other highways and crossings in the MdTA network).
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

golden eagle

I did notice a mile marker on US 51 just in front of the Ridgeland city hall. I wonder if this is some sort of experiment.

roadman65

I saw that US 27 had them a few years back in 08 when I traveled it leaving South Florida. It was between I-75 in Broward County to either the Palm Beach County Line or maybe South Bay.  I cannot remember how far north they were installed up to, but a rarity in Florida except for US 1 in the Keys.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

ShawnP

US 71 in KC had them well before the upgrade to I-49.

The High Plains Traveler

Colorado and New Mexico use standard green mileposts - mostly with MILE on the top - for all state highways, originating at south or west terminus of the highway. Arizona has a similar style, but the origin tends to be a west or south state border via other routes. Wyoming seems to post segments of highway, so for instance when you turn off I-25 onto U.S. 20 east, that is mile zero. (No, it's not due to the overlay with U.S. 18 because it continues beyond where 18 turns off). Wyoming also has correction points in its system; you will see two posts side by side with different mileages - usually differing by a few hundredths of a mile - and the notation AH or BH on each below (Ahead or Behind). Then there's Texas, with subtle reference markers usually on the back of a sign for the other direction of traffic. The origin point for all its highways is somewhere near Taos NM where the north and west boundaries extended would meet.
"Tongue-tied and twisted; just an earth-bound misfit, I."

golden eagle

Kinda off the subject a bit...is there any state that sign mile markers at the rate Missouri does, doing it ever .2 of a mile?

Alps

Quote from: golden eagle on May 26, 2012, 11:22:58 AM
Kinda off the subject a bit...is there any state that sign mile markers at the rate Missouri does, doing it ever .2 of a mile?
Ohio does, and Kentucky considered it back when they (together with Indiana) trialled the enhanced mile markers with the shields inside.

froggie

Vermont does...and even one better on the Interstates:  every 0.05 mile.  However, the milemarkers on the non-Interstates reset at the town lines.

Beltway

Quote from: froggie on May 26, 2012, 03:49:48 PM

Vermont does...and even one better on the Interstates:  every 0.05 mile.  However, the milemarkers on the non-Interstates reset at the town lines.

I prefer the 0.1 posts over the 0.2 posts.

528 feet is a more human scale than 1,056 feet, for people in stopped vehicles or on foot.  I can read the sign from 528 feet, but not from the latter.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.