News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Google Street View

Started by Alex, April 04, 2009, 12:51:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alex

Gang of villagers chase away Google car

Google's ambitious plan to offer a 3-D street level view of communities across three continents hit a snag when angry residents of a UK village blocked the search engine's camera car from photographing their homes...

http://www.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/europe/04/03/google.anger/index.html

Thoughts on Google Street View?

FLRoads

You know my thoughts about it...

. . .

ComputerGuy

I hate them..I hate Google Maps alot...

They get the streets wrong...they show old (2005) aerials...and Streetview didn't get WA-531 until last week! And those pics are from 2008!!!!!

Chris

The streetview quality in Europe is way better than in the US.

Compare this:

To this:

ComputerGuy

roadfro

I like the concept of Street View.  It helps me do some roadgeeking when I don't have the time/money to drive someplace.  The only problem I have is that sometimes the images are not clear enough--like some instances where photos were taken at dusk or at night, and it looks like the image looks snowy like a bad tv antenna.  If that picture is really of a Street View in Europe, Google's come a long way with this thing and needs to start going back through the U.S.

As to the people who object to photos of their houses as per the article linked above... I don't think someone has a reasonable expectation of privacy on a public street as to object to a photo of their house.  What's to stop the would-be criminal from driving the street and taking photos of his potential targets?  I'm sure they could tell by satellite photos where the opulent areas are anyway.  But that's just my opinion.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

mightyace

Here is the U.S., as long as the photographers are on a public street, there is not much that can be done.

However, some streets in developments are private and that's a different story.  Or, of course, if they're on someone's property.
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

Truvelo

Quote from: mightyace on April 04, 2009, 03:11:40 PM
However, some streets in developments are private and that's a different story.  Or, of course, if they're on someone's property.

But what if there's no gates?

We have private roads over here with most having signs saying things such as 'No parking or turning, parking for residents only, other vehicles will be clamped, not a through route'. In most cases these signs are just threats and nothing will happen if you enter or park in these streets.
Speed limits limit life

mightyace

QuoteIn most cases these signs are just threats and nothing will happen if you enter or park in these streets.

True.  My point was that you potentially have some recourse if you live on a private road.  But, I agree with you that 99.9% of the time it makes no difference.

njroadhorse

Go check out Pittsburgh.  The shots right at intersections are some of the clearest in the program.
NJ Roads FTW!
Quote from: agentsteel53 on September 30, 2009, 04:04:11 PM
I-99... the Glen Quagmire of interstate routes??

yanksfan6129

^ Frequently those areas of black and white images are actually in areas where Google has extremely low resolution images.

deathtopumpkins

Around here and elsewhere in the US many images I've found are crystal-clear. I love Google Earth so much. Virtual roadgeeking sometimes is all I can get in these tough economic times.
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

Duke87

Thing of it is, on a public street, anyone with so much as a cell phone can go and snap a picture of your house if they so desire. And they can post that picture on the internet. Google Street View isn't fundamentally any different, the only difference is the scale on which it's done.

As for the complaint about it attracting burglars... I think they're just being paranoid.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

Chris

They should live in a gated community. Google Streetview doesn't come there. ( I wanted to look up GW Bush's new home in Dallas, but it was a gated community).

Scott5114

So your house is on Google Maps. So what? So is everyone else's. What makes your house so special as to receive attention from anyone? How's it different from someone driving down the street?
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

deathtopumpkins

They just want to cause a fuss... I don't think they have a single valid argument when you bring out the fact that ANYONE can go take a picture of their house with a cell phone. Or the fact that Google is doing it from public property.
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

PAHighways

Quote from: Truvelo on April 04, 2009, 03:25:15 PMWe have private roads over here with most having signs saying things such as 'No parking or turning, parking for residents only, other vehicles will be clamped, not a through route'. In most cases these signs are just threats and nothing will happen if you enter or park in these streets.

A couple in Pittsburgh tried to sue Google for $25,000 in damages, alleging that the photos devalued their property and caused them mental suffering.  The lawsuit was eventually dismissed.

mightyace

Well, my house isn't on Google Street View.

For the moment...  :rolleyes:

deathtopumpkins

Mine is... and you can clearly see everything, even my bike parked on the porch...

74/171FAN

Mine is too and my dad's windmill(the only one in a front yard that I know of) is even visible.  Google does that that my house is in Bland,VA instead of Prince George, VA(even though I do live in the Bland district)
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

ComputerGuy

I live in a hard-to-reach neighborhood...they'll never come...we got a petition to ban them for the time being. :biggrin:

deathtopumpkins

Chris

QuoteWhy? 

He's probably hiding something, he's living outside of the law  :)

yanksfan6129

Unfortunately, they'll never come into my neighborhood because its "gated" (not really--they built a gate but literally NEVER use it). But I just have a bad feeling . . .

I want them to take a photo of my house. I think it'd be cool, I don't see what people are so up in arms about.

Truvelo

Quote from: Chris on April 04, 2009, 01:51:46 PM
The streetview quality in Europe is way better than in the US.

I've just found some higher resolution street view in the US. Look on highway 111 near Calexico, CA.
Speed limits limit life

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.