News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Favorite Interchange

Started by Voyager, April 08, 2009, 09:40:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The High Plains Traveler

The "Big I" (I-25/I-40) in Albuquerque. What elevates it above the typical 4-level stack is the adobe color with turquoise highlights that the bridges are painted.
"Tongue-tied and twisted; just an earth-bound misfit, I."

Ian

Quote from: empirestate on February 29, 2012, 05:31:31 PM
Well, my official favorite interchange has always been I-787/US 9/US 20 in Albany, because of the contrast between its apparent orderliness when viewed from above, and the utter visual chaos it presents from ground level. In that way, it reflects the idealist aesthetic of city planning from its period, the new urbanism of le Corbusier, also seen in the nearby Empire State Plaza. Such design is notable in how harmonious and satisfying it is when taken theoretically (as with the aerial view), but how it stands apart from the human element, isolates and excludes it, when everyday interaction comes into play.

http://empirestateroads.com/week/week7.html

That said, the more I get to know the GWB/Henry Hudson interchange, the more fascinated I am by it. And for similar reasons to the Albany example, as well as for sheer engineering prowess, I am also intrigued by the Highbridge Interchange (I-87/I-95), but again, until the massive reconstruction project is complete there, my appreciation will remain strictly theoretical for that one!

I agree fully with you on both of those interchanges. I'm also a huge fan over the Bruckner Interchange (I-95/I-278/I-678/I-295/Hutchinson River Parkway).
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

Alps

Quote from: NE2 on March 03, 2012, 12:21:39 PM
Quote from: kphoger on March 03, 2012, 11:23:42 AM
Agreed, agreed, yes.  But I'm a geek, and I want to know what it's called.  An inside modified cloverleaf???  :hmm:
It's basically a pair of trumpets with a few ramps braided.
Yeah I'd call it an inside double trumpet.

kphoger

Thanks.  It really helped to think of it as two connected three-way interchanges, rather than one four-way interchange.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

xcellntbuy

One of the most free-flowing interchanges is Interstate 75/Interstate 595/FL 869 Sawgrass Expressway.  It is one of my favorites since the interchange has mostly 2- and 3-lane ramps that can be driven at 65-70 mph, quickly and efficiently, is well signed and now well lit.  It used to be completely dark, and being on the edge of the Everglades where there is nothing but razor-sharp sawgrass, water and BIG power lines, dark means pitch black.

kurumi

Agreed, agreed, yes.  But I'm a geek, and I want to know what it's called.  An inside modified cloverleaf???  :hmm:

A spread double trumpet, or "strumpet".
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

Grzrd

Quote from: kurumi on March 03, 2012, 04:14:02 PM

How much is the toll for this strumpet?

blawp

I-10 and I-605 is a great choice by the OP. Two major interstates intersecting and yet the design is so simple and elegant.

Bickendan

Quote from: Steve on March 03, 2012, 01:19:50 PM
Quote from: NE2 on March 03, 2012, 12:21:39 PM
It's basically a pair of trumpets with a few ramps braided.
Yeah I'd call it an inside double trumpet.
I say name it a flügelhorn interchange and call it a day ;)

kphoger

Quote from: Grzrd on March 03, 2012, 06:53:04 PM
Quote from: kurumi on March 03, 2012, 04:14:02 PM

How much is the toll for this strumpet?

If you refer to the toll booth just to west of the interchange, here is the GMSV of the tolls, listed out by vehicle type in pesos:
http://g.co/maps/2gd9d
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

nexus73

In Oregon it's the I-5/38-99 interchange.  That's due to it meaning I'm on the way home or heading out for something interesting and maybe even fun...LOL! 

If I am just looking at interchanges as interchanges, I always liked the I-215/I-10 interchange between Riverside and San Bernardino.  It was first driven by me in June 1974 when it was I-10/I-15-US 395 and I was on my way to March AFB.  A clean design with the ability to handle the volume without a lot of slowing down and changing lanes, it looked better than any interchange in Oregon did at that time to my eyes.

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

Takumi

Mine are the aforementioned 95-895-150 interchange and the revamped Springfield Interchange.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

intelati49

pianocello

Davenport, IA -> Valparaiso, IN -> Ames, IA -> Orlando, FL -> Gainesville, FL -> Evansville, IN

Takumi

Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

qguy

I-95/I-476/MacDade Blvd., southwest of Philadelphia. Brian Polodoro once called it the Squid Interchange. Can't think of a name even close to as good as that.

http://binged.it/xaUkB5

bugo

One of my favorites is the I-244/I-444/US 75/US 412 interchange in Tulsa at the northeast corner of the IDL.  This is the northern 244/75 interchange and the northern/eastern terminus of the secret I-444.  It's especially cool going north on 444/75.

thenetwork

I always liked the intersection of I-96/I-275/I-696/M-5 (nee M-102 nee BL-96) in Metro Detroit  (http://maps.google.com/maps?q=novi,+mi&hl=en&ll=42.479947,-83.423395&spn=0.037538,0.104628&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=41.139534,107.138672&hnear=Novi,+Oakland,+Michigan&t=h&z=14) just for the sheer size of this interchange. 

IIRC, at one time this was the biggest interchange in the country.

dfilpus

Quote from: thenetwork on March 06, 2012, 05:30:36 PM
I always liked the intersection of I-96/I-275/I-696/M-5 (nee M-102 nee BL-96) in Metro Detroit  (http://maps.google.com/maps?q=novi,+mi&hl=en&ll=42.479947,-83.423395&spn=0.037538,0.104628&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=41.139534,107.138672&hnear=Novi,+Oakland,+Michigan&t=h&z=14) just for the sheer size of this interchange. 

IIRC, at one time this was the biggest interchange in the country.

Back in the 1970's, before the northbound M-5 ramps were built, the eastbound I-96 ramp was this long smooth ramp with woods on either side. One night, during an a winter storm, I was surprised to encounter headlights facing me on this ramp. Multiple cars had spun out on the ramp and were facing backwards on both sides of the ramp.

Bickendan

Quote from: qguy on March 06, 2012, 04:55:44 PM
I-95/I-476/MacDade Blvd., southwest of Philadelphia. Brian Polodoro once called it the Squid Interchange. Can't think of a name even close to as good as that.

Ia! Ia! Cthulhu ftangh!

qguy

Quote from: Bickendan on March 07, 2012, 03:42:40 AM
Quote from: qguy on March 06, 2012, 04:55:44 PM

Ia! Ia! Cthulhu ftangh!

Wha?

elsmere241

OCGuy81

I like the infamous "Orange Crush" interchange.  The meeting of the 5, 22, and 57.  It can be a pain in the ass driving through there sometimes, especially given tourist traffic caused by Disneyland just to the north.  What I like about it is looking at it on google maps is rich.  It literally looks like a mess of noodles, ramps going every which way. :-)

hm insulators

Quote from: OCGuy81 on March 07, 2012, 09:51:37 AM
I like the infamous "Orange Crush" interchange.  The meeting of the 5, 22, and 57.  It can be a pain in the ass driving through there sometimes, especially given tourist traffic caused by Disneyland just to the north.  What I like about it is looking at it on google maps is rich.  It literally looks like a mess of noodles, ramps going every which way. :-)

If you like that one, try the Newhall Interchange, where I-5, I-210 and California 14 all meet on the north edge of the San Fernando Valley. It's really three interchanges in one: Coming from the south on I-5, first you hit the 210 which comes in from the east, then a mile or so farther, you hit California 14, which comes in from the northeast, so that's two. The third interchange is composed of the separate I-5 and California 14 truck bypass lanes that hook into each other off the mainline interchanges. And even as I type this, Caltrans is working on a major project at the Newhall Interchange to hook separate carpool lane connectors to each other at the 5 and 14, and when that little task is completed, the Newhall Interchange will be four interchanges in one!

That interchange is also a pain in the neck to drive in, as it's right at a narrow mountain pass that really is the only way to get from downtown Los Angeles, the San Fernando Valley or LAX and the various beach communities west of downtown Los Angeles to Santa Clarita, the Palmdale/Lancaster area, or points north, including Sacramento. It's on the shortest route to the Bay Area, too.

The Newhall Interchange also has a bizarre history, courtesy of the two earthquakes (1971 and 1994) that knocked down some of the transition ramps.
Remember: If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

I'd rather be a child of the road than a son of a ditch.

At what age do you tell a highway that it's been adopted?

agentsteel53

I'd never really thought of the 210 as being part of the Newhall.  Just independent: 5 hits 14, 210, 405, 118, 170 in fairly short order. 
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.