News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Nicknames and local terms

Started by Bruce, April 09, 2013, 09:05:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

M3019C LPS20

Here's a good one from Queens, New York:

"The boulevard of death." Also known as Queens Blvd.

empirestate

Quote from: briantroutman on April 10, 2013, 06:14:41 PM
The 1s seem to be the ugly stepchildren 3DIs. Is it just my imagination–it seems there are a lot of 1XXs that dead-end at airports (190 at O'Hare, 195 at BWI, 105 at LAX). And people tend to think of them as the "road to the airport". Or they lead to godforsaken destinations like Hennepin, Salina, or Reading. Or Williamsport.

That brings up an interesting side topic, which surely deserves a separate thread...I have noticed a similar thing: that 3dis can be classed into groups by their first digit, beyond just even or odd parity, to at least a partial extent. 1xx's do tend to be more random spurs, while 3xx's are more likely to be downtown spurs, if very short ones. 2xx's are likely to be full or partial beltways. 6xx's are likely to be second-generation circumferential routes. 5xx's may often be indirectly-connected spurs. And so on.

Similarly, 2dis can sometimes show patterns according to their second digits, besides the obvious x0's and x5's being the most major grid routes. I-x1's are often relatively important regional or inter-regional routes (I-71, I-81, I-91). I-x4's are near stand-ins for I-x0's: I-44, I-64 and I-94 could all hold a claim to being as important as at least some existing I-x0's. I have no doubt that 64 and 94, at least, would indeed have been I-x0's, had not the decision been made to exclude I-50 and I-60.

PHLBOS

In Salem, MA near the Salem-Marblehead line; Lafayette St. (MA 114) makes a very sharp curve near Salem Harbor.  Most locals refer to it as Dead Man's Curve (yes, from the 60s Jan & Dean song) due to the various accidents that occurred there.

Quote from: briantroutman on April 10, 2013, 06:14:41 PMPeople in Williamsport refer to I-180 as "The Beltway" as the entire Lock Haven to Milton 80-to-80 loop was originally promoted as the Susquehanna Beltway. For many of the parochial people of the area, "beltway" has become a generic term for freeway.
Fictional territory here but IMHO, both I-180 and US 220 (future I-99) should be redesignated as I-280; thereby implying a through beltway (I-80 to I-80).
GPS does NOT equal GOD

deathtopumpkins

Quote from: PHLBOS on April 11, 2013, 09:32:06 AM
In Salem, MA near the Salem-Marblehead line; Lafayette St. (MA 114) makes a very sharp curve near Salem Harbor.  Most locals refer to it as Dead Man's Curve (yes, from the 60s Jan & Dean song) due to the various accidents that occurred there.

The state is actually working to fix that right now. A friend of mine over in the traffic safety division has been running through options to improve it for a while now.
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

1995hoo

In the DC area, the traffic reporters refer to the Southwest—Southeast Freeway simply as "the Freeway." There are other roads in the area that incorporate the word "freeway" (I-295 is the Anacostia Freeway; part of I-395 is the Center Leg Freeway although almost nobody knows that; a short piece of US-29 is the Whitehurst Freeway), but the only one for which the word "freeway" is ever used is the Southwest—Southeast Freeway. I've always thought of "freeway" as being more of a West Coast term because it's not one I've ever heard used very often.

It's well-documented in various places that the massive interchange of I-395 and VA-27 near the Pentagon was historically called the "Mixing Bowl," but nowadays if you use that term most people invariably associate it with the Springfield Interchange because the Washington Post inexplicably started using that name for the Springfield Interchange in the late 1990s and the other local media outlets jumped onboard. I hear the term "Mixing Bowl" a lot less often these days since the reconstruction down there was finished, although some people still use it.

Amherst Avenue in Springfield, Virginia, is almost always called Backlick Road. This is a function of road re-routing. Backlick Road parallels Amherst and was originally a two-way street that suffered from congestion. Sometime in the mid-1980s they reconfigured it so that Backlick runs one-way northbound and Amherst runs one-way southbound. Other than for mailing purposes, or the cop who gave Ms1995hoo a warning ticket for speeding, I've never heard anyone refer to Amherst Avenue by that name because people think of it as being part of Backlick Road as a longer thru route.

The I-270 Spur is generally just called "the spur."
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

briantroutman

Quote from: briantroutman on April 10, 2013, 06:14:41 PMPeople in Williamsport refer to I-180 as "The Beltway" as the entire Lock Haven to Milton 80-to-80 loop was originally promoted as the Susquehanna Beltway. For many of the parochial people of the area, "beltway" has become a generic term for freeway.
Fictional territory here but IMHO, both I-180 and US 220 (future I-99) should be redesignated as I-280; thereby implying a through beltway (I-80 to I-80).

I've often wondered about this–since the Susquehanna Beltway was planned as a continuous freeway from I-80 back to I-80, why it was given an odd designation. The only explanation I can think of is that, by the mid '80s, PennDOT realized that they wouldn't be completing the gaps SW of Lock Haven and between Jersey Shore and Williamsport anytime soon. And under pressure to get some kind of an Interstate designation in the road, they numbered the eastern half of the loop odd. Now almost 30 years later, the missing freeway sections still haven't been built.

PHLBOS

Quote from: deathtopumpkins on April 11, 2013, 10:06:11 AM
The state is actually working to fix that right now. A friend of mine over in the traffic safety division has been running through options to improve it for a while now.
The area was recently restriped with some cross-hatch striping along the shoulders.  There's also a lighted YOUR SPEED sign prior to the curve in the eastbound direction.

What type of fix is MassDOT planning?  My mother still lives in Marblehead (further up Lafayette) and will, no doubt, be impacted by any construction when heading towards Salem/Peabody/Danvers.

GPS does NOT equal GOD

vdeane

Quote from: briantroutman on April 11, 2013, 01:03:32 PM

I've often wondered about this–since the Susquehanna Beltway was planned as a continuous freeway from I-80 back to I-80, why it was given an odd designation. The only explanation I can think of is that, by the mid '80s, PennDOT realized that they wouldn't be completing the gaps SW of Lock Haven and between Jersey Shore and Williamsport anytime soon. And under pressure to get some kind of an Interstate designation in the road, they numbered the eastern half of the loop odd. Now almost 30 years later, the missing freeway sections still haven't been built.
I-180 originally stopped at US 220; it's only more recently that it was extended to US 15.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

deathtopumpkins

Quote from: PHLBOS on April 11, 2013, 03:19:42 PM
Quote from: deathtopumpkins on April 11, 2013, 10:06:11 AM
The area was recently restriped with some cross-hatch striping along the shoulders.  There's also a lighted YOUR SPEED sign prior to the curve in the eastbound direction.

What type of fix is MassDOT planning?  My mother still lives in Marblehead (further up Lafayette) and will, no doubt, be impacted by any construction when heading towards Salem/Peabody/Danvers.

No idea, last I talked to him about it they were still weighing options and sorting through things like crash data.
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

briantroutman

Quote from: vdeane on April 11, 2013, 05:01:07 PM
I-180 originally stopped at US 220; it's only more recently that it was extended to US 15.

According to PAHighways, 180 was designated in 1984 from US 15 all the way to I-80 near Milton. Prior to that, the freeway section from Williamsport to Pennsdale was just US 220 and the remainder of the freeway southeastward was PA 147.

vdeane

Then how do you explain the backwards exit numbers?  The can't be PA 147's, because they start at I-80 while the PA 147 freeway starts further south.  They also can't be I-180's without an extension, because I-180 is an east-west road.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

briantroutman

The exit numbers weren't added until PA switched to mileage-based numbering in 2001. Prior to that, most guide signs had blank exit tabs. To me, that seemed to suggest PennDOT was a little noncommittal about the 180 designation and was holding off on numbering interchanges until the entire beltway was finalized.

As to the E-W vs N-S issue, I have to think that also was a holdover from the original beltway plans which they never changed when the exit numbers were added. But regardless of the cardinal direction, it's consistent with the MUTCD that exit numbering would begin at the parent.

Pete from Boston

Quote from: PHLBOS on April 10, 2013, 08:57:19 AM
I-93 between Mass Ave. (Exit 18) and MA 3 South (Exit 7) is referred to as the Southeast Expressway; prior to 1971, much of the Expressway had no route number assigned to it.

Moreover, it's often referred to simply as "the Expressway," sine it's the only expressway name used around here anymore.

QuoteMA 28/16 intersection in Somerville is referred to as Assembly Square.  It's in reference to an old Ford assembly plant that used to exist way back when; the Assembly Square Mall exists there today.

Yeah, but that's scratching the surface of the squares, which aren't simply local shorthand but actual named places.

Pete from Boston

Quote from: roadman on April 10, 2013, 10:58:57 AM
Some Boston area traffic nicknames and terms:

The lower deck - I-93 southbound between Somerville and Boston (the highway is a double deck structure, with the northbound on top and the southbound on the bottom).
The cloverleaf - interchange of I-93 and I-95 (MA 128) at the Woburn/Reading line
The supermarket overpass - in Newton where I-90 (MassPike)  goes beneath a Shaws (originally Star Market) supermarket building.
The State Police Barracks - in Weston where I-90 (MassPike) goes past the Troop E headquarters and former Mass Turnpike Authority engineering headquarters buildings.
The jughandle - In Peabody at the north end of the US 1/I-95/MA 128 interchange.  Northbound traffic goes through a jughandle to turn back southbound.
The loop ramp - connection between the Tobin Bridge and I-93 in Boston
Lynnfield tunnel - short underpass of US 1 under Salem Street/MA 129 interchange in Lynnfield
East Milton canyon - I-93 (Southeast Expressway) underneath local streets in East Milton Square, Milton.

Storrow Drive, Embankment Rd/Mugar Way, and Charles Street east of Charles Circle are all colloquially understood to be Storrow Drive, which frankly makes a lot more sense.  Soldiers Field Road is often lumped in there too, though it sometimes gets credit for existing on its own.  And finally, all of these and Memorial Drive in Cambridge (with its appendices Land Blvd and Greenough Blvd) are often lumped together in traffic reports as simply "the river roads."

Just thinking about it makes me feel late for work.

Alps

Quote from: briantroutman on April 12, 2013, 01:15:33 PM
As to the E-W vs N-S issue, I have to think that also was a holdover from the original beltway plans which they never changed when the exit numbers were added. But regardless of the cardinal direction, it's consistent with the MUTCD that exit numbering would begin at the parent.
Actually, it's because I-180 was originally north-south, then later changed to east-west.

The Premier

SR 59 in Akron is known as "the Innerbelt," whereas I-76 from U.S. 224 to I-77 is refered to as the "Kenmore Leg" since it went through that part of the city.
Alex P. Dent

briantroutman

Quote from: Steve on April 12, 2013, 05:34:47 PM
Actually, it's because I-180 was originally north-south, then later changed to east-west.

Did you see this somewhere? Maybe this was a change too early for me to recall. Going back as far as I can possibly remember (about 1987 or so) it was E-W. And the original button-copy guides (mostly removed in the past couple of years) indicated E-W with no indications of having been changed (no green-out or ghost letters). Unless the letters were swapped out when the signs were nearly new, of course.

Are you maybe confusing this with 380, which was oddly signed E-W until the exit renumbering around 2001-2002 when it was re-signed N-S?

Alps

Quote from: briantroutman on April 12, 2013, 06:39:58 PM
Quote from: Steve on April 12, 2013, 05:34:47 PM

Did you see this somewhere? Maybe this was a change too early for me to recall. Going back as far as I can possibly remember (about 1987 or so) it was E-W. And the original button-copy guides (mostly removed in the past couple of years) indicated E-W with no indications of having been changed (no green-out or ghost letters). Unless the letters were swapped out when the signs were nearly new, of course.

Are you maybe confusing this with 380, which was oddly signed E-W until the exit renumbering around 2001-2002 when it was re-signed N-S?
Considering my caption says "ameliorating of", I haven't looked at this page in quite awhile. I don't know what my original source was.

JMoses24

There are a couple here in Cincinnati:

"The Lockland Canyon/Split": The southbound lanes of I-75 actually descend briefly between Exit 13 (Shepherd Lane/Lincoln Heights) and Exit 10 (Galbraith Road/OH SR 126 aka Ronald Reagan Cross County Highway), with the surrounding neighborhood above necessitating concrete walls, thus getting the name of "The Lockland Canyon", and in the same area northbound and southbound lanes are separated by this same neighborhood, thus "The Lockland Split".

"The Big Mac": I-471 bridge over the Ohio River from Newport, so named because it apparently looks like the McDonald's Golden Arches. Personally...I don't see it, and I've lived here 27 years and counting. Same color, yes. Same look? Not even close.

"The Purple People Bridge": Former railroad and roadway bridge, now used exclusively for pedestrian traffic (also bikes/skaters/skateboarders) -- and yes, it's painted purple.

"The Cut-in-the-Hill": Two separate hills get this distinction:

1) The more well known version along I-75/71 between downtown Cincinnati and Northern Kentucky, from Exit 192, Fifth Street/Covington/Newport to Exit 189, KY SR 1072 aka Kyles Lane/Fort Wright/Park Hills
2) I-71 from about exit 9, Red Bank Road/Expressway to either at or just south of Exit 12, Montgomery Road in the Kenwood area, to distinguish it from the first it is commonly called "the Kenwood Cut".

vdeane

Quote from: briantroutman on April 12, 2013, 01:15:33 PM
The exit numbers weren't added until PA switched to mileage-based numbering in 2001. Prior to that, most guide signs had blank exit tabs. To me, that seemed to suggest PennDOT was a little noncommittal about the 180 designation and was holding off on numbering interchanges until the entire beltway was finalized.

I don't believe there's any such rule.  I can think of a few in NY that don't do this:
-I-290's numbers start at I-190
-I-390's numbers start at I-86 (thankfully; starting at I-90 would be confusing)
-I-890's numbers are a continuation of NY 890's, which start at NY 5
-None of the I-x95s start numbering at I-95
-I-684 starts at I-287

And that's just NY.

hbelkins

Quote from: JMoses24 on April 12, 2013, 07:11:01 PM
"The Cut-in-the-Hill": Two separate hills get this distinction:

1) The more well known version along I-75/71 between downtown Cincinnati and Northern Kentucky, from Exit 192, Fifth Street/Covington/Newport to Exit 189, KY SR 1072 aka Kyles Lane/Fort Wright/Park Hills

I still call that "Death Hill" because that's the nickname it had before it was rebuilt in the late 80s/early 90s.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

briantroutman

Quote from: vdeane on April 12, 2013, 10:05:59 PM
I don't believe there's any such rule.  I can think of a few in NY that don't do this:
-I-290's numbers start at I-190
-I-390's numbers start at I-86 (thankfully; starting at I-90 would be confusing)
-I-890's numbers are a continuation of NY 890's, which start at NY 5
-None of the I-x95s start numbering at I-95
-I-684 starts at I-287

And that's just NY.

That is what the MUTCD says anyway...
Quote from: MUTCD 2009Spur route interchanges shall be numbered in ascending order starting at the interchange where the spur leaves the mainline route

...although there are lots of violators, like I-195 in MD, I-355 in IL, I-196 in MI–probably more that violate than don't. Even 3DIs are a different matter, either supposed to start at the southern or western end for a partial loop or at the six-o-clock position for a full 360° beltway.

OCGuy81

Step 1:  Take the word "the"

Step 2: Add said word to the appropriate route number.  i.e. The 55.

Step 3: Welcome yourself to southern California! :bigass:

Kidding aside, that is a local thing near me that doesn't seem to be used in other areas, even in state (people in the Bay Area for example don't go around calling it The 280 from what I've heard)

Some other interesting terms and nicknames I've noticed.

Oregon:  Bought a house in Bend recently, and hear highway used in Oregon more than route numbers, with a few exceptions.  In central Oregon, I've often heard OR-58, linking US 97 to the Eugene area referred to as the Willamette Highway, OR-242 as the MacKenzie Highway, and in Portland there is the Sunset Highway (US-26) and Banfield (I-84).  Oddly, I don't hear US-97 ever called The Dalles-California Highway or I-5 as the Pacific Highway.

Texas:

One thing I heard on business in Houston was the term "feeder road" for frontage roads.  Haven't heard that anywhere else.

I'm sure I've got more, but that's all I can think of for now.

Pete from Boston

Quote from: agentsteel53 on April 09, 2013, 09:14:56 PM
we generally refer to things with names like "wack slacks" and "harsh realm".

Whoa, check out the cob nobbler.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grunge_speak

Pete from Boston

Quote from: Steve on April 09, 2013, 10:22:55 PM
Now, here's a way to get this back on topic without duplicating other threads:

NYC: The entirety of the Queens-Midtown Expressway is referred to as the "L.I.E."
The "West Side Highway" goes all the way down to the (Brooklyn) "Battery Tunnel", or maybe people will call the surface part "West St.," ignoring the other names it carries.
The Harlem River Driveway (north of the I-95 connection) is lumped in with Harlem River Drive.
The I-95 Trans Manhattan Expressway is referred to as "under the apartments."
The NJ approach to the Lincoln Tunnel is called "the helix."
NJ Route 139 is the "1 and 9 approach" to the Holland Tunnel.
Not sure how prevalent it is elsewhere, but traffic reports here use "loaded up" to refer to stop and go traffic.

And of course, I-95 from Teaneck to Fort Lee gets periodically called "80-95," even though 80 never coexists with 95 (though I have seen this section labeled "Bergen-Passaic Expressway" like 80 west of here, a name no one uses anyway).

The two halves of the NJ Turnpike in the Meadowlands are called the "eastern and western spurs," even though I wouldn't say either is a spur per se.

The entire complex in the Bronx where the Cross Bronx Expressway meets the Whitestone Expressway, Hutchinson River Parkway, and Bruckner Expressway (I'm sure I'm forgetting one) is called "the Bruckner Interchange."  Going north, the names New England Thruway and Connecticut Turnpike (both I-95) are still far more common in traffic reports than in common parlance (I sense a thread of names few people use anymore...).

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.