News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

The Clearview thread

Started by BigMattFromTexas, August 03, 2009, 05:35:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which do you think is better: Highway Gothic or Clearview?

Highway Gothic
Clearview

Billy F 1988

Uh, try harder, because the ugly "3" isn't the only thing that looks like shit. Check out the craptastic I-99 shield with the wrong FHWA type. And the "15" on the Blue Knob State Park sign is craptastic as well. The ugly "3" is simply the least of the other two shitpiece signs.
Finally upgraded to Expressway after, what, seven or so years on this forum? Took a dadgum while, but, I made it!

Android

Yeah, I wouldn't have even seen that...  I'd have been too busy gagging on the I-99 and Blue Knob 15 signs.  ("I'll show YOU a 'blue knob'!!)
-Andy T. Not much of a fan of Clearview

formulanone

Quote from: Molandfreak on October 14, 2013, 01:50:10 PM
Clearview numerals aren't half as bad as it gets...

If there's one thing I know how to do well, it's take photos of terrible signs.

...and now, back to Clearview.

Takumi

...which for some reason is no longer being discussed in this thread.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

on_wisconsin

Quote from: mukade on October 13, 2013, 08:31:08 PMIt is less about nostalgia and more about:
1) Overblown claims of benefits
2) Immense waste by some states to replace a large number of perfectly good signs
3) It seemed to be a solution in search of a problem

Come on now this is AAroads where a very significant number of members believe if it doesn't look like something from 1963 then it is automatically shit. Outside of this forum, however, I agree with the quoted post. (Even though I like Clearview aesthetically.)
"Speed does not kill, suddenly becoming stationary... that's what gets you" - Jeremy Clarkson

Ian

Quote from: on_wisconsin on July 08, 2014, 05:24:29 PM
Quote from: mukade on October 13, 2013, 08:31:08 PMIt is less about nostalgia and more about:
1) Overblown claims of benefits
2) Immense waste by some states to replace a large number of perfectly good signs
3) It seemed to be a solution in search of a problem

Come on now this is AAroads where a very significant number of members believe if it doesn't look like something from 1963 then it is automatically shit. Outside of this forum, however, I agree with the quoted post. (Even though I like Clearview aesthetically.)

I don't like Clearview, but I don't rip on people for liking it, because I really don't give two shits...
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

freebrickproductions

I can't tell the difference between Clearview and other fonts very well, if at all. I see some minor differences, but they don't affect me much, unless it's like the interstate signs a few posts up. :thumbdown:
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

1995hoo

This is on the front page of today's Washington Post. First thing I thought of when I saw it was the Clearview.

"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Molandfreak

First thing I thought of when I saw it was "no shit, do people really not fucking know that?"
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 05, 2023, 08:24:57 PM
AASHTO attributes 28.5% of highway inventory shrink to bad road fan social media posts.

SSOWorld

Quote from: Molandfreak on August 10, 2014, 07:12:51 PM
First thing I thought of when I saw it was "no shit, do people really not fucking know that?"
Ther's a lot of those "O RLY?" signs all over the U.S.  (but that's for another board topic...)
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

jakeroot

Quote from: SSOWorld on August 10, 2014, 07:17:59 PM
Quote from: Molandfreak on August 10, 2014, 07:12:51 PM

There's a lot of those "O RLY?" signs all over the U.S.  (but that's for another board topic...)

Is there in fact another board topic for that? Because I have a few things to say about those signs.

J N Winkler

Quote from: jake on August 11, 2014, 01:48:32 AMIs there in fact another board topic for that? Because I have a few things to say about those signs.

Not that I know of, although we have had an extended discussion of bridge icing signs and whether they are really necessary.

It would be worth starting a thread to deal with signs that state the bleeding obvious, possibly with this (spoof) one:

"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

1995hoo

Quote from: J N Winkler on August 11, 2014, 10:14:43 AM
Quote from: jake on August 11, 2014, 01:48:32 AMIs there in fact another board topic for that? Because I have a few things to say about those signs.

Not that I know of, although we have had an extended discussion of bridge icing signs and whether they are really necessary.

It would be worth starting a thread to deal with signs that state the bleeding obvious, possibly with this (spoof) one:

Some of those might appropriately go in the "Humorous Signs" thread. I know I posted this one in that thread, though it would surely qualify for a "bleeding obvious" thread as well. Picture taken in Granby, Colorado, on the day before Labor Day in 2007, and I only found it because I'd made a wrong turn somewhere (had I gone the way I'd intended, we'd never have come anywhere near Granby):

BTW, to try to get back on topic, the Clearview "SMUGGLING" sign I posted above is so grainy because it's an iPhone picture of the front page of yesterday's newspaper. I didn't feel like trying to find the sign online using an iPhone or iPad, so it was easier just to take a picture and upload it using the Photobucket app.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Android

Quote from: J N Winkler on August 11, 2014, 10:14:43 AM

Hnnnhaah!  Yeah, except I have two real world examples of just that sort of thing!

-Andy T. Not much of a fan of Clearview

PurdueBill

Quote from: 1995hoo on August 10, 2014, 11:13:30 AM
This is on the front page of today's Washington Post. First thing I thought of when I saw it was the Clearview.

Is it just me, or would that look a lot better if SMUGGLING were the same size text as the rest of the words?  As is, it looks like a header or something. 

J N Winkler

Quote from: PurdueBill on August 17, 2014, 12:18:59 PMIs it just me, or would that look a lot better if SMUGGLING were the same size text as the rest of the words?  As is, it looks like a header or something.

The legend also needs to be black on white because it isn't really a guide-sign message.  I don't object so much to the larger size because on this sign it functions as a keyword rather than as a header, but the layout looks visually unbalanced since the third line is so much shorter than the others.  If the words were regrouped vertically (one word per line except "IS A,"), it might be possible to accommodate the message on a standard-sized blank such as that used for speed limits.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

logan230

:hmmm: Just curious.

When I first saw Clearview I wanted to throw up. But over a long period of time I've grown to tolerate it, especially if your whole area's signs were replaced, even though I still stick with Highway Gothic (or FHWA, whatever you wanna call it).

Zeffy

Clearview is fine on mixed-case positive contrast backgrounds. The problem is it's almost never used like that, so then you have all caps (which looks ugly), Clearview on negative contrast (hard to read), and the worst offender of them all: Clearview numerals. Yiiiiiiiiick! If the numerals weren't so poo I would maybe like Clearview more, but those things are HIDEOUS to look at.
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

jakeroot

Logan230, you're asking for trouble starting a new thread regarding the Clearview v Highway Gothic war. But, I won't stop you, because it can be very enjoyable to read.

That said, I like Clearview because it looks modern, but dislike it for its numerals (like Zeffy above). They're okay, but not my favorite.

I don't mind Highway Gothic, but it's seriously out of date and in need of updating. It worked better when sign design was done more by hand, but in the digital era, it's less than desirable.

So, in the end, I'm impartial. If a state/province wants to use Clearview, be my guest. If a state/province prefers the old FHWA fonts, that's also fine. Both are very functional and easy to read, so I give both a thumbs up.

PS...I don't believe this is road-related illustrations material we are discussing. Perhaps General Highway Talk is best.

hbelkins

Quote from: Zeffy on October 10, 2014, 06:32:24 PMall caps (which looks ugly), Clearview on negative contrast (hard to read)

Neither of those bother me, and I don't find negative contrast Clearview hard to read at all.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

adventurernumber1

Tbh I have to agree with hbelkins. I don't hate Clearview, and I don't hate Highway Gothic. I'm fine with both.
Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

freebrickproductions

Quote from: adventurernumber1 on October 11, 2014, 12:21:00 AM
Tbh I have to agree with hbelkins. I don't hate Clearview, and I don't hate Highway Gothic. I'm fine with both.
I agree with you.
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

riiga

I'm fine with both, but prefer Highway Gothic.

KG909

I completely hate clearview. I hope whoever made it dies a slow and painful death.
~Fuccboi

Zeffy

Quote from: hbelkins on October 10, 2014, 11:59:25 PM
and I don't find negative contrast Clearview hard to read at all.

Manville has black-on-white street blades with mixed case Clearview 1/2-B on them. I physically can not read them during the day going 35+. At night, it's virtually impossible as well. I can clearly remember reading the FHWA versions when they still had them.
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.