News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Dead Malls

Started by The Premier, January 25, 2011, 05:38:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ibthebigd

The Daleville Indiana outlet mall in Indiana has been dead for a long time.

It's a shame it looked like a nice building compared to Georgetown Ky or Dry Ridge Ky.

SM-G950U

webny99

Quote from: jakeroot on July 13, 2020, 12:56:55 AM
So that site was home to nothing, then something, and then nothing again lol.

The ultimate life cycle!

roadman65

I was on GSV and checking out Norfolk. I see Military Circle has no anchors.

I researched it and since 2016, there have been no big stores as Macy's was the last as Sears shut down in 2012.

So a mall without an anchor is a dead mall.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

tolbs17

Carolina East Mall is dead and it has been demolished in 2006. I've never got a chance to go there and there has been barely and news about it.

Have you guys heard about that mall before?

Roadgeek Adam

WHY ARE YOU YELLING?

[please don't use caps to yell]
Adam Seth Moss
M.A. History, Western Illinois University 2015-17
B.A. History, Montclair State University 2013-15
A.A. History & Education - Middlesex (County) College 2009-13

US71

Cross County Mall in Mattoon, IL is likely doomed. K-Mart left years ago and JC Penney has announced they will be closing early next year.

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

tolbs17

Quote from: Roadgeek Adam on December 19, 2020, 06:46:32 PM
WHY ARE YOU YELLING?

[please don't use caps to yell]
Ooh. I was typing when i was half-asleep. I'm gonna fix it

tolbs17

I forgot to mention, Vernon Park Mall too. What's the future of that mall gonna be? They said they will redevelop it but nothing happened lately.

Takumi

A decade ago, if you told someone in Richmond that Virginia Center Commons would close and be demolished and Regency Mall wouldn't, we'd all think you were crazy. Alas.
https://www.wric.com/news/local-news/henrico-county/construction-begins-virginia-center-commons-november-for-henrico-indoor-sports-center/
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

gonealookin

The New York Times had an article this week about the auctioning of some of the artifacts of a dead mall, in this case the Metrocenter in Phoenix.  Seems like some of this might be of interest to the sort of folks who collect things like highway signs.

QuoteTwo weeks ago, in Phoenix, auctioning began at the vacant Metrocenter mall, which closed in June, and will continue on a weekly basis through January. By then, the auctioneers expect to have listed about 1,000 lots.

So far their catalog has included a collection of 37 fire extinguishers (sold for $140); a neon Wetzel's Pretzels sign ($750); a large mall directory ($275); a security system of cages so large they can only be described as multi-human size ($325). Upcoming items include 25 food court tables; the plexiglass bins that held candy in a candy store; the contents of an empty Victoria's Secret; a lot of nine mannequin torsos (six female, three male).

While a majority of buyers at these auctions are surplus buyers and may be more interested in things like light fixtures and racks, EJ's Auction and Appraisal, which is running the Metrocenter purge, estimates about 30 percent are collectors.

"There is a very, very strong market for signage: anything neon and retro, but even the newer stuff has value on the collector market,"  said Erik Hoyer, the company's chief executive.

SectorZ

Quote from: gonealookin on December 20, 2020, 12:15:38 AM
The New York Times had an article this week about the auctioning of some of the artifacts of a dead mall, in this case the Metrocenter in Phoenix.  Seems like some of this might be of interest to the sort of folks who collect things like highway signs.

QuoteTwo weeks ago, in Phoenix, auctioning began at the vacant Metrocenter mall, which closed in June, and will continue on a weekly basis through January. By then, the auctioneers expect to have listed about 1,000 lots.

So far their catalog has included a collection of 37 fire extinguishers (sold for $140); a neon Wetzel's Pretzels sign ($750); a large mall directory ($275); a security system of cages so large they can only be described as multi-human size ($325). Upcoming items include 25 food court tables; the plexiglass bins that held candy in a candy store; the contents of an empty Victoria's Secret; a lot of nine mannequin torsos (six female, three male).

While a majority of buyers at these auctions are surplus buyers and may be more interested in things like light fixtures and racks, EJ's Auction and Appraisal, which is running the Metrocenter purge, estimates about 30 percent are collectors.

"There is a very, very strong market for signage: anything neon and retro, but even the newer stuff has value on the collector market,"  said Erik Hoyer, the company's chief executive.

Nice shout to the Retail Archaeology page in that story. Great youtube channel to follow for people following this thread.

SkyPesos

Quote from: Takumi on December 19, 2020, 11:51:31 PM
A decade ago, if you told someone in Richmond that Virginia Center Commons would close and be demolished and Regency Mall wouldn't, we'd all think you were crazy. Alas.
https://www.wric.com/news/local-news/henrico-county/construction-begins-virginia-center-commons-november-for-henrico-indoor-sports-center/
Same with the Chesterfield Mall in St. Louis; if you told me it's going to die before Mid Rivers back in 2013, I would've called you crazy. I grew up near that mall, and remembered it being busy all the time, especially on the weekends. A parking spot can sometimes take a while to find. Last time I went into the mall in 2013, I remember barely seeing any empty stores inside, and there's a carousel in the center of the mall. Just read what happened since then, Dillards closed, the AMC got downgraded to a "classic", whatever that means. Besides AMC, think what's left are Macy's, V-Stock and Cheesecake Factory, with almost nothing inside the mall besides those anchor stores.

Think West County and the Galleria are the only decent traditional malls left in the St. Louis area.

Also there's a subreddit that's dedicated to dead malls. Most of the pictures posted there are depressing for me to look at.

thenetwork

I walked the Mesa Mall in Grand Junction yesterday.  For the Saturday before Xmas, I wouldn't say it was "packed", but it was brisk.

This, despite the mall looking about 60٪ occupied, with half of those stores either non-chain stores or stores that are only there for the holidays.

They still have 3 of 5 anchor stores (JCPenney/Cabelas/Target), and are getting a Home Goods store (surprisingly not opened by the holiday season) and allegedly a Dillard's in the former Sears footprint -- they razed the old Sears, but they have delayed the start of building the Dillards.

One reason why this mall is still breathing is that the next closest mall is 3-¹/² hours away (Denver or Salt Lake),  so it does attract a larger customer base with no other close options.

I-55

My mom would tell me how the Boaz, Alabama outlet mall used to be the big deal way back when. It's now mostly vacated with a few local businesses, a bowling alley, and a movie theatre.
Let's Go Purdue Basketball Whoosh

Revive 755

Quote from: SkyPesos on December 20, 2020, 04:57:47 PM
Same with the Chesterfield Mall in St. Louis; if you told me it's going to die before Mid Rivers back in 2013, I would've called you crazy. I grew up near that mall, and remembered it being busy all the time, especially on the weekends. A parking spot can sometimes take a while to find. Last time I went into the mall in 2013, I remember barely seeing any empty stores inside, and there's a carousel in the center of the mall. Just read what happened since then, Dillards closed, the AMC got downgraded to a "classic", whatever that means. Besides AMC, think what's left are Macy's, V-Stock and Cheesecake Factory, with almost nothing inside the mall besides those anchor stores.

Think West County and the Galleria are the only decent traditional malls left in the St. Louis area.

What about St. Clair Square and Plaza Frontenac?

SkyPesos

Quote from: Revive 755 on December 20, 2020, 10:30:25 PM

Overlooked Frontenac, but it's definitely doing well from what I heard. Not sure if I can compare it to the other malls I mentioned though, since this one is specifically tailored for luxury goods. First time I went to Frontenac, I thought it was a government building or something, because I have never seen a mall exterior like that.
I was looking only at the Missouri side, so didn't know about St. Clair Square

WillWeaverRVA

Quote from: Takumi on December 19, 2020, 11:51:31 PM

What a waste. VCC wasn't even 30 years old.
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

Stephane Dumas

Quote from: SkyPesos on December 20, 2020, 10:59:22 PM
Quote from: Revive 755 on December 20, 2020, 10:30:25 PM

Overlooked Frontenac, but it's definitely doing well from what I heard. Not sure if I can compare it to the other malls I mentioned though, since this one is specifically tailored for luxury goods. First time I went to Frontenac, I thought it was a government building or something, because I have never seen a mall exterior like that.
I was looking only at the Missouri side, so didn't know about St. Clair Square

I saw this shot of Plaza Frontenac on Google Streeview. https://www.google.com/maps/@38.6301,-90.4068116,3a,75y,282.7h,114.26t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sG9tzrE5MXYpYey6quguCjg!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

One thing to said is some mall should have imitated Plaza Frontenac. There's a mall in Thetford Mines, Quebec also called Frontenac and the Google streetview speaks for itself.
https://www.google.com/maps/@46.1124646,-71.3009465,3a,90y,341.5h,89.27t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s5CFhf7YscHwBZVp6kSNm2g!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

ftballfan

The Grand Rapids area has two decently healthy malls (Woodland Mall and RiverTown Crossings). For a while, it looked like Woodland was going downhill, especially before Sears closed. In the last few years, Woodland's owners have put a lot of $$ into the mall, adding Von Maur, Cheesecake Factory, REI, and Urban Outfitters, just to name a few. On the other hand, RiverTown has lost one anchor (Younkers) and is losing another (Sears).

Speaking of dead malls that have been redeveloped, the former Eastbrook Mall (which died not long after Woodland opened) has been redeveloped into a power center with shops such as TJ Maxx, Homegoods, Carhartt, Lands' End, Five Below, Dunham's Sports, Nordstrom Rack, Sierra Trading Post, DSW, Old Navy, and JoAnn Crafts. On Sunday, that parking lot was jammed and at least a couple of stores had lines to get in.
Quote from: thenetwork on December 20, 2020, 08:14:57 PM
I walked the Mesa Mall in Grand Junction yesterday.  For the Saturday before Xmas, I wouldn't say it was "packed", but it was brisk.

This, despite the mall looking about 60٪ occupied, with half of those stores either non-chain stores or stores that are only there for the holidays.

They still have 3 of 5 anchor stores (JCPenney/Cabelas/Target), and are getting a Home Goods store (surprisingly not opened by the holiday season) and allegedly a Dillard's in the former Sears footprint -- they razed the old Sears, but they have delayed the start of building the Dillards.

One reason why this mall is still breathing is that the next closest mall is 3-¹/² hours away (Denver or Salt Lake),  so it does attract a larger customer base with no other close options.
Another example of a mall mostly alive by isolation is Grand Traverse Mall in Traverse City, Michigan. That mall still has two of its opening day anchors (Target and JCPenney) and Macy's, which originally opened as Hudson's. TJ Maxx is also in the mall, but it has no outside entrance (unusual for a store of its type). Sears never made the move from Cherryland Mall, which is a dead mall and has been for years.

SkyPesos

I've noticed something with malls. A good portion of the sucessful malls in medium-large US cities have an Apple store. Take Columbus for example. Westland closed off 8 years ago, Eastland will probably close in the next year, Tuttle seems like it's going to close within the next few years. That leaves Easton and Polaris as the 2 dominant malls in Columbus, and both of them have an Apple store. Not saying that this is the main factor for why x malls are more successful than y malls (probably just a coincidence), but Apple stores are the most profitable per square foot.

AlexandriaVA

I think your logic is backwards:

Apple stores go to high-income markets, where the local mall was likely to succeed because the local market was indeed high-income.

IOW, Apple doesn't create successful malls, it is attracted to them.

SectorZ

Quote from: ftballfan on December 23, 2020, 11:01:44 AM
TJ Maxx is also in the mall, but it has no outside entrance (unusual for a store of its type).

You'd be surprised how many TJX stores have no outside entrance, almost like a sub-anchor store. Marshalls in Danvers MA (Liberty Tree Mall) and the TJ Maxx/Homegoods in Worcester MA (now closed, Greendale Mall) are two examples I can think of off the top of my head.

Flint1979

The TJ Maxx at Lansing Mall has an outside and mall entrance.

Flint1979

Also I was at the Bay City Town Center(formerly Bay City Mall)  the other day and noticed that JCPenney has closed. As I was driving up to it I thought to myself I'm surprised this JCPenney hasn't closed yet and I walk up to the door and it said it was closed for good. It has a Dunham's, Marshall's, Ollie's Bargain Outlet and PetSmart still along with some vacant storefronts and the rest of the stores in the mall are typical mall stores.

spooky

Quote from: SectorZ on December 24, 2020, 12:30:02 PM
Quote from: ftballfan on December 23, 2020, 11:01:44 AM
TJ Maxx is also in the mall, but it has no outside entrance (unusual for a store of its type).

You'd be surprised how many TJX stores have no outside entrance, almost like a sub-anchor store. Marshalls in Danvers MA (Liberty Tree Mall) and the TJ Maxx/Homegoods in Worcester MA (now closed, Greendale Mall) are two examples I can think of off the top of my head.

Marshall's in Weymouth MA is like this. There is an interior hallway like a mall in an otherwise strip-mall type shopping center.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.