What Do Locals Call Your Part Of The State???

Started by thenetwork, August 27, 2017, 10:06:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bruce

Quote from: bing101 on March 18, 2019, 09:23:32 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ciLP71byQO4

A 1985 News Clip from Washington State Spokane area as "Inland Empire"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inland_Northwest

Yeah, the semi-arid area east of the Cascades has been called the "Inland Empire" since the early 20th century.

Though recently they've been trying to secede and call themselves the State of Liberty.

amroad17

Quote from: Sam on August 28, 2017, 09:44:12 PM
Quote from: Rothman on August 28, 2017, 07:16:34 AM
Here in Albany, it's the "Capital District" or you say you are from the city you are in (Albany, Schenectady, Troy).  If you are in a suburb, you say the "Albany area" to outsiders.

Here it's the "Finger Lakes region" (or "Western New York" or "Central New York"). Never "upstate".
Amen! (from a Syracuse area native).
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

amroad17

After perusing this thread for near 15 minutes, I have a couple (please excuse if I list something already mentioned--trying to read 7 pages quickly)...

Where I live, Northern Kentucky, for the suburban area south of Cincinnati.
I have heard the term "Kentuckiana" on TV stations in the Louisville area.
The area of New York State from Bemus Point to Binghamton as the Southern Tier.
I have heard truckers on CB refer to the capital of Tennessee as "Crashville".
Centralia, PA as "Silent Hill".   :-D (just kidding)
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

Flint1979

There is a sign in Birch Run on I-75 that was installed within the last 5 years or so that says GREAT LAKES BAY REGION on it. I guess that's the part of the Great Lakes we're in but the Saginaw Bay isn't the only Bay on the Great Lakes.

I consider it Mid-Michigan or Central Michigan.

Ben114

I live in the Blackstone Valley, could be known as just the Valley, outsiders would just call this part of the larger Central Massachusetts or the Worcester area.

ipeters61

Quote from: amroad17 on March 19, 2019, 04:42:31 AM
Here in Albany, it's the "Capital District" or you say you are from the city you are in (Albany, Schenectady, Troy).  If you are in a suburb, you say the "Albany area" to outsiders.

Here it's the "Finger Lakes region" (or "Western New York" or "Central New York"). Never "upstate".
Do any of you use the term steamed hams? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDUIGvpDolw
Disclaimer: Opinions expressed on my posts on the AARoads Forum are my own and do not represent official positions of my employer.
Instagram | Clinched Map

US 81

Two notes on Texas:

The Trans-Pecos area is often called 'the wing-tip.'

San Antonio and Austin are 80mi apart within the Hill Country, and yet San Antonio is usually 'south Texas' and Austin is usually 'central Texas.' 

Rothman

Quote from: Ben114 on March 19, 2019, 07:46:17 AM
I live in the Blackstone Valley, could be known as just the Valley, outsiders would just call this part of the larger Central Massachusetts or the Worcester area.
I grew up in western MA.  Can't put my finger on exactly when people would use "Pioneer Valley" rather than "western MA." Both were quite common (e.g., PVTA), but there is some subtle contextual difference where someone would use one rather than the other.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

frankenroad

Quote from: Rothman on March 19, 2019, 12:21:03 PM
I grew up in western MA.  Can't put my finger on exactly when people would use "Pioneer Valley" rather than "western MA." Both were quite common (e.g., PVTA), but there is some subtle contextual difference where someone would use one rather than the other.

My ex-wife is from Pittsfield.   That is definitely Western MA and NOT the Pioneer Valley.   

I would suggest that Western MA is divided into two parts - the Berkshires and the Pioneer Valley.
2di's clinched: 44, 66, 68, 71, 72, 74, 78, 83, 84(east), 86(east), 88(east), 96

Highways I've lived on M-43, M-185, US-127

Rothman

Quote from: frankenroad on March 19, 2019, 01:16:35 PM

My ex-wife is from Pittsfield.   That is definitely Western MA and NOT the Pioneer Valley.   

I would suggest that Western MA is divided into two parts - the Berkshires and the Pioneer Valley.

Well, of course Pittsfield is out in the boondocks and not in the Pioneer Valley.

I grew up in the Pioneer Valley, where people use both terms, but not always interchangeably.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

ipeters61

Quote from: Rothman on March 19, 2019, 01:20:50 PM

Well, of course Pittsfield is out in the boondocks and not in the Pioneer Valley.

I grew up in the Pioneer Valley, where people use both terms, but not always interchangeably.
As someone from the northern part of Connecticut, I rarely heard Pioneer Valley when referring to the Springfield area, it was usually just lumped in as Western Mass.
Disclaimer: Opinions expressed on my posts on the AARoads Forum are my own and do not represent official positions of my employer.
Instagram | Clinched Map

Rothman

Quote from: ipeters61 on March 19, 2019, 02:34:30 PM
Quote from: Rothman on March 19, 2019, 01:20:50 PM

As someone from the northern part of Connecticut, I rarely heard Pioneer Valley when referring to the Springfield area, it was usually just lumped in as Western Mass.
Probably more used north of the Holyoke Range.

webny99

I can't believe this thread has made it this far without getting moved to a more appropriate board: Off-topic, or maybe Travel?

X99

Area: South Dakota, everything west of the Missouri River
Outsiders call it: western South Dakota
Local name: West River

It's the same for the other side of the state: East River.
why are there only like 5 people on this forum from south dakota

thspfc

Everything north of WI-29 is generally the Northwoods. The southeast part of the state is just "Milwaukee". The Fox Valley is Oshkosh/Appleton/Green Bay.
As for other states, "Chicago" is a synonym of Illinois. Upper Michigan is "The UP", or Upper Peninsula.

bing101

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Little_Saigon,_Orange_County

https://visitanaheim.org/blog/little-saigon-the-vietnamese-heart-of-orange-county

Locals know the area surrounding Disneyland as Little Saigon in Orange County. But Outsiders know Anaheim as simply the area as Disneyland or the Anaheim Resort District.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anaheim_Resort

sprjus4

Hampton Roads, Tidewater, Southeast Virginia, etc.

Outsiders just pick a big city in the area such as Virginia Beach or Norfolk and refer to anything and everywhere in the Hampton Roads area as that.

The Nature Boy

Is there a region of New York that calls itself "Upstate New York?"

It seems like a term that outsiders use to describe the parts of the state that are outside of the NYC Metro Area.

Roadgeekteen

God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

vdeane

Quote from: The Nature Boy on July 02, 2019, 03:04:20 PM

It seems like a term that outsiders use to describe the parts of the state that are outside of the NYC Metro Area.
I guess I'm the exact opposite.  I grew up in the Rochester area and everyone I knew always thought of themselves as "Upstate NY".  Same for now that I live near Albany.  I've always understood regions like Central NY, the Finger Lakes, the North Country as being subsets of Upstate.

In fact, the line for what one considered "Upstate" moves south the further southeast one goes!  To the Rochester/Buffalo/Syracuse area, is the part of the state north of the flat part of the PA border (and where it would be if it extended across the whole state).  To the Capital District, it's around I-84.  To the North Country, it's the Adirondacks.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

webny99

^ Yep, I would endorse that. I think of myself as being from Upstate NY. Western NY and the Finger Lakes are subsets.

I actually hadn't heard of the term North Country until more recently; everything north and east of Syracuse was just "the Adirondacks".

planxtymcgillicuddy

Here in northwest NC, most refer to it as simply "The High Country"
It's easy to be easy when you're easy...

Quote from: on_wisconsin on November 27, 2021, 02:39:12 PM
Whats a Limon, and does it go well with gin?

ipeters61

Quote from: vdeane on July 02, 2019, 09:24:50 PM

I guess I'm the exact opposite.  I grew up in the Rochester area and everyone I knew always thought of themselves as "Upstate NY".  Same for now that I live near Albany.  I've always understood regions like Central NY, the Finger Lakes, the North Country as being subsets of Upstate.

In fact, the line for what one considered "Upstate" moves south the further southeast one goes!  To the Rochester/Buffalo/Syracuse area, is the part of the state north of the flat part of the PA border (and where it would be if it extended across the whole state).  To the Capital District, it's around I-84.  To the North Country, it's the Adirondacks.
Is there such a thing as "Downstate New York"?  I always thought it was north of NYC but south of I-84.  I have a friend who's from Brooklyn/Long Island and she says there's no such thing, but I've heard the term before.
Instagram | Clinched Map

hotdogPi

Quote from: ipeters61 on July 03, 2019, 08:06:50 AM
Quote from: vdeane on July 02, 2019, 09:24:50 PM

Is there such a thing as "Downstate New York"?  I always thought it was north of NYC but south of I-84.  I have a friend who's from Brooklyn/Long Island and she says there's no such thing, but I've heard the term before.

Downstate is everything that's not Upstate, including NYC itself.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

webny99

Quote from: ipeters61 on July 03, 2019, 08:06:50 AM

To me, downstate is anything south of I-84 (roughly), but anyone who lives below that line would likely say downstate does not exist, or at least is not an appropriate term. The prevailing attitude in NYC and Long Island is that I am the one from NY, and this is NY, no clarification needed, and anyone who is from the state but not the NYC area needs to specify "upstate". I guess a certain amount of arrogance is built in to coming from the largest city in the country; doesn't surprise me one bit that they don't want to be referred to as "downstate", instead preferring "NY", with "City" being assumed.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.