News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

What would cause you to lose interest in roadgeeking?

Started by hbelkins, January 21, 2019, 04:34:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jon daly

Quote from: DandyDan on January 22, 2019, 12:47:03 AM
I could turn into my dad and get really interested in trains, old rail stations and abandoned rail lines, plus other aspects of the railroad business I can't think about at the moment.
I'd be interested in timetables for routes between major league cities, but that covers most of my railfan interest.

It's been years, but I'd like to go planespotting again.

moto e5 play

vdeane

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on January 26, 2019, 08:20:50 PM
Self driving cars might actually improve my road intrest.
Good luck clinching anything when the car is the one navigating.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: vdeane on January 26, 2019, 10:42:30 PM
I thought that on self driving cars you could choose the route.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on January 26, 2019, 10:56:01 PM
Quote from: vdeane on January 26, 2019, 10:42:30 PM
I thought that on self driving cars you could choose the route.

I would be highly amused to see a self-driving car attempt some of the more haggard western roadways.  I shutter to think what would happen with a self-driving vehicle on something like CA 4 over Ebbetts Pass much less places like Mineral King Road. 

jakeroot

I know our instinct isn't to trust computers, but there's a fair few people that I wouldn't A) trust to drive near a cliff, nor B) trust not to kill me. At least computers don't get distracted.

MantyMadTown

One of my main interests in roadgeeking involves following up on new road projects. I've been fascinated by them since US 41 was converted to an interstate years ago. I still like seeing road upgrades and the commissioning/decommissioning of routes. If all of a sudden transportation departments stopped funding new road projects and made no further changes to our road networks, then it would certainly dampen my roadgeeking interests by quite a bit. I still don't have my license yet (I have an instructional permit but I haven't passed my driver's test and I haven't had time to practice for it since I started college!), but I would absolutely love to drive on all of these roads someday and I hope I have many years to do that in the future.
Forget the I-41 haters

kevinb1994

Quote from: MantyMadTown on January 27, 2019, 04:46:55 AM
One of my main interests in roadgeeking involves following up on new road projects. I've been fascinated by them since US 41 was converted to an interstate years ago. I still like seeing road upgrades and the commissioning/decommissioning of routes. If all of a sudden transportation departments stopped funding new road projects and made no further changes to our road networks, then it would certainly dampen my roadgeeking interests by quite a bit. I still don't have my license yet (I have an instructional permit but I haven't passed my driver's test and I haven't had time to practice for it since I started college!), but I would absolutely love to drive on all of these roads someday and I hope I have many years to do that in the future.

You're in the same boat I was in when living up north.

hbelkins

A self-driving car would have one big advantage for me. I could sleep while on routes I've driven often while traveling to a place I've never been before. "Take US 19 south from Asheville. Wake me when we get to the Georgia state line."

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: hbelkins on January 27, 2019, 03:45:59 PM
A self-driving car would have one big advantage for me. I could sleep while on routes I've driven often while traveling to a place I've never been before. "Take US 19 south from Asheville. Wake me when we get to the Georgia state line."
It's a car, not an alarm.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

hbelkins

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on January 27, 2019, 05:30:03 PM

:banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

MNHighwayMan

I guarantee you, if self-driving cars become a thing and take off, an alarm will be an included feature.

formulanone

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on January 27, 2019, 07:33:43 PM

I guarantee you, if self-driving cars become a thing and take off, an alarm will be an included feature.

You can actually set timed reminders on some cars, even if it doesn't have GPS. Of course, it wouldn't tell you where you are without that feature.

I figure the self-driving car will be more-or-less perfected by the time I'm too old to drive. By 75-80, I'm sure my senses won't be quite the same.

vdeane

Self-driving cars are basically going to be computers on wheels.  One of the "advantages" the tech companies see with them is the possibility of displaying targeted advertising on the windshield.  I imagine they'll be able to do anything Alexa or Google Home can.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: vdeane on January 27, 2019, 09:13:25 PM
Self-driving cars are basically going to be computers on wheels.  One of the "advantages" the tech companies see with them is the possibility of displaying targeted advertising on the windshield.  I imagine they'll be able to do anything Alexa or Google Home can.
That sounds cool but kind of scary.

abefroman329

Quote from: formulanone on January 27, 2019, 08:31:02 PM

You can actually set timed reminders on some cars, even if it doesn't have GPS. Of course, it wouldn't tell you where you are without that feature.

I figure the self-driving car will be more-or-less perfected by the time I'm too old to drive. By 75-80, I'm sure my senses won't be quite the same.
Considering I can't even set my phone to remind me of something once I arrive at a specific geographic point, I think we're a long way from cars being able to do that.

hotdogPi

Quote from: abefroman329 on January 28, 2019, 07:30:10 AM
Quote from: formulanone on January 27, 2019, 08:31:02 PM

Considering I can't even set my phone to remind me of something once I arrive at a specific geographic point, I think we're a long way from cars being able to do that.

That's probably not a feature because it has low demand. The technology is definitely existing (e.g. "You've arrived at your destination" message at the end of a GPS trip); it's just not being used.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

Rothman

To the OP:  Nothing.

Interest would still be there even if I developed some disability.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

abefroman329

Quote from: 1 on January 28, 2019, 07:32:59 AMThat's probably not a feature because it has low demand. The technology is definitely existing (e.g. "You've arrived at your destination" message at the end of a GPS trip); it's just not being used.
Well who do I need to talk to, because I bet a lot of people would love it if their phone could remind them to turn on the oven when they get home from work, or whatever.

formulanone

Quote from: abefroman329 on January 28, 2019, 10:57:04 AM
Quote from: 1 on January 28, 2019, 07:32:59 AMThat's probably not a feature because it has low demand. The technology is definitely existing (e.g. "You've arrived at your destination" message at the end of a GPS trip); it's just not being used.
Well who do I need to talk to, because I bet a lot of people would love it if their phone could remind them to turn on the oven when they get home from work, or whatever.

It's called geofencing and it exists.

dcharlie

abefroman329

rawmustard

Quote from: 1 on January 28, 2019, 07:32:59 AM
That's probably not a feature because it has low demand. The technology is definitely existing (e.g. "You've arrived at your destination" message at the end of a GPS trip); it's just not being used.

You can set a reminder in Google Assistant to alert you when you are at either a specific location or a range of them. ("Hey Google, the next time I'm at a Meijer, remind me to pick up coffee.")

US 89

Quote from: rawmustard on January 28, 2019, 01:09:38 PM
Quote from: 1 on January 28, 2019, 07:32:59 AM

You can set a reminder in Google Assistant to alert you when you are at either a specific location or a range of them. ("Hey Google, the next time I'm at a Meijer, remind me to pick up coffee.")

If you have an iPhone, there is a "remind me at a location" setting you can use for reminder notifications.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: dcharlie on January 28, 2019, 11:53:15 AM
Dementia...   maybe.
You might forget specific road memories but shouldn't you still be interested in roads?

formulanone

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.