Unique, Odd, or Interesting Signs aka The good, the bad, and the ugly

Started by mass_citizen, December 04, 2013, 10:46:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeffandnicole

Billy F 1988

Quote from: jake on September 08, 2014, 06:02:58 PM
I'm getting tired of all these variations...how about a standard sign?

And thus, the heretic has spoken.  :nod:
Finally upgraded to Expressway after, what, seven or so years on this forum? Took a dadgum while, but, I made it!

1995hoo

Spotted this recently on US-50 east of Aldie, Virginia, near the truck scales. Sign makes eminent sense, but I've never seen one like this before. I found myself wondering whether, if you had to change direction to reach the hospital, it might make sense to put the "H" to the appropriate side of the sign to underscore where the arrowhead is, given that it's rather smaller than most arrows.

"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

vtk

I think that needs to be just a simple through-roundabout arrow, not a full roundabout diagram with an arrowhead on one exit.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

jakeroot

I don't mind the initial sign, but it seems awfully small...here's my alternative:

wisvishr0

Quote from: jake on September 10, 2014, 09:06:23 PM
I don't mind the initial sign, but it seems awfully small...here's my alternative:

Very pretty! I love it!

Revive 755

Not sure this variant on the "freeway entrance" sign has been posted before:

WI 74 at WI 190

jeffandnicole

It still doesn't make it clear which way the hospital is...especially for those that are already concerned about a love one and trying to get to the hospital, and may easily be confused.  Just use a design with a 'thru' arrow.

wisvishr0

Quote from: jeffandnicole on September 11, 2014, 06:26:55 AM

It still doesn't make it clear which way the hospital is...especially for those that are already concerned about a love one and trying to get to the hospital, and may easily be confused.  Just use a design with a 'thru' arrow.
I believe it's a UK thing to put destinations on roundabouts like that, whereas here in the US, we're used to the signmakers making it totally unambiguous. Yeah,  I wouldn't post that sign here, but it's nonetheless pretty. It would be clear in the UK.

I'm sorry but I'm in love with UK road signs in general. They're simple and consistent, two of my favorite things.

1995hoo

I like it (but then, I like British signs), but I think the diagram ought to be bigger because the text kind of swamps it to the point where some people would focus more on the words than on their position relative to the roundabout.

Zeffy

I think how New Jersey signs it close to major hospitals is how I would go with it here:

Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

english si

Quote from: wisvishr0 on September 11, 2014, 07:04:53 AMI believe it's a UK thing to put destinations on roundabouts like that, whereas here in the US, we're used to the signmakers making it totally unambiguous.
We in the UK would view that as totally unambiguous...

Though we'd also go an extra step and not have arrows on arms without destinations listed - eg here where the first sign with the major destinations has two stubs, but the second sign with the local destinations has one, and an extra arrow, as that local road has a local destination.

1995hoo

Quote from: Zeffy on September 11, 2014, 10:54:45 AM

I think how New Jersey signs it close to major hospitals is how I would go with it here:

[image omitted]

I think the thought process is some people might not understand a straight-ahead arrow in the context of a roundabout, although the particular roundabout referred to by the sign I posted does have the second exit essentially straight across on the far side. Funny thing is, though, the initial guide sign for the roundabout doesn't list destinations, just route numbers (Street View here: http://goo.gl/maps/fJ9DM ) and the second sign closer to the roundabout that does give destinations just uses traditional arrows instead of the roundabout diagram (Street View here: http://goo.gl/maps/W3iSU ). The second sign could have the blue hospital "H" on the same line as "Washington." I'd have to dig through my deleted videos to verify if this is still the case, but as of the time the Street View car went through there was no "H" sign anywhere at or on the roundabout (nor at either of the other two roundabouts you encounter within the next mile or two after exiting the first one).

Edited to add: I restored the deleted videos. There are still no "H" signs at or on any of the three roundabouts on US-50; we didn't go through the one further south on US-15 on this trip, but I assume it's the same. (Having an "H" sign at the correct exit with a conventional diagonal arrow seems like it'd make sense.) There are two more of the sorts of signs I posted above in advance of the second and third roundabouts, though. I'd love to see how they configured the sign on northbound US-15 approaching the fourth roundabout, but I won't be using that road anytime soon to go check.

Incidentally, the following sign appears just before the third roundabout ("third" as you head east on US-50). It kind of amuses me because the guide sign approaching that roundabout only shows two exits, one to continue on Route 50 and the other to make a left turn onto Watson Road. The exit shown on this sign doesn't appear at all on the advance guide sign. It all kind of makes me think VDOT is still figuring out roundabout signage. They'd do better just to send someone to the UK for a while, though of course some adaptations would be needed to conform to US requirements.

vdeane

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

1995hoo

Never seen that before. Neat idea. Seems plenty clear to me. What do they do for the "straight-thru" movement?

vdeane

It varies by location (I get the feeling that NYSDOT roundabout standards are recent).  I'm afraid I don't have any pictures, and the one I know has one has outdated street view, so here's the symbol on the pavement.

Right is just a normal right arrow (mostly... see below) everywhere.

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.6486923,-73.8482775,3a,75y,11.64h,72.87t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sL9ozJlgIwaO-1Ljye07hZA!2e0

Also note the erroneously orange sign:
https://www.google.com/maps/@43.3091743,-73.6436849,3a,75y,327.57h,62.3t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1som98W52_W6pdm7KqVwbZ3g!2e0
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

hbelkins

I would just get rid of the roundabout. Multiple problems solved!  :-D

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

cl94

Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

1995hoo

Quote from: hbelkins on September 11, 2014, 02:01:12 PM
I would just get rid of the roundabout. Multiple problems solved!  :-D

The ones in my photos have made travel through that area (Gilbert's Corner, Virginia) substantially faster than it used to be when there was just a crossroads with a traffic light. There was the usual bleating and squawking from local residents when VDOT announced the plan to replace the light with a system of four roundabouts (two of those connect to a road providing a bypass around the roundabout located where the light used to be), but also as usual, everyone found it's much more efficient than the stupid light ever was.

spooky

Quote from: cl94 on September 11, 2014, 04:08:09 PM
It's NYSDOT. Always a fish-hook.

I really like the fish-hook arrows in place of the traditional left/through/right arrows. I believe the MUTCD allows both for directional signage in advance of a roundabout. Using those same arrows on an arrow plaque like in the hospital signage shown above seems natural.

Zeffy

Has anyone ever posted pictures of signs on the Merritt Parkway in Connecticut here?

Interesting how they designed the borders, but that font is pretty barf.
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

MillTheRoadgeek

Quote from: Zeffy on September 11, 2014, 05:27:17 PM
Has anyone ever posted pictures of signs on the Merritt Parkway in Connecticut here?

The font looks like Walmart's old 2000s font, eh? Oh, and I also noticed a little cut in the bottom left corner. Wow, was this put in by a contractor that makes weird variations on signs, or is it by a major commercial who is still attempting to give a damn about MUTCD standards? :P (Remember that post from a bit ago...)

jakeroot

Increasingly British-Canadian, this version...

vdeane

Quote from: MillTheRoadgeek on September 11, 2014, 07:40:59 PM
Quote from: Zeffy on September 11, 2014, 05:27:17 PM

The font looks like Walmart's old 2000s font, eh? Oh, and I also noticed a little cut in the bottom left corner. Wow, was this put in by a contractor that makes weird variations on signs, or is it by a major commercial who is still attempting to give a damn about MUTCD standards? :P (Remember that post from a bit ago...)
It's specifically designed to emulate the original wooden signs as much as possible while still paying lip service to the MUTCD.

wisvishr0

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.