News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Unique, Odd, or Interesting Signs aka The good, the bad, and the ugly

Started by mass_citizen, December 04, 2013, 10:46:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pete from Boston

Quote from: vdeane on September 12, 2014, 12:45:46 PM
Quote from: MillTheRoadgeek on September 11, 2014, 07:40:59 PM
Quote from: Zeffy on September 11, 2014, 05:27:17 PM
Has anyone ever posted pictures of signs on the Merritt Parkway in Connecticut here?

Interesting how they designed the borders, but that font is pretty barf.
The font looks like Walmart's old 2000s font, eh? Oh, and I also noticed a little cut in the bottom left corner. Wow, was this put in by a contractor that makes weird variations on signs, or is it by a major commercial who is still attempting to give a damn about MUTCD standards? :P (Remember that post from a bit ago...)
It's specifically designed to emulate the original wooden signs as much as possible while still paying lip service to the MUTCD.

I always liked them.  The Merritt is an inherently unreasonable road on so many levels (this is not a complaint) that this scheme just follows the pattern.

freebrickproductions

It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

Billy F 1988

Quote from: freebrickproductions on September 13, 2014, 07:33:35 PM
World's largest BGS for one lane?
Huge Sign by freebrickproductions, on Flickr

I'd shutter to think what would happen if that big sign got blown off and crushed an oncoming car.
Finally upgraded to Expressway after, what, seven or so years on this forum? Took a dadgum while, but, I made it!

hbelkins

Why couldn't the "TO EAST" be to the left of the US 72 marker, instead of on top? Would have saved money on the sign panel.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

freebrickproductions

It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

xcellntbuy

Brandon

"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

jakeroot

I went back to a sign(s) that I posted on this thread a while back...blue "freeway entrance" signs. As it turns out, all of the signs were inspected and approved. I still don't understand wtf is going on.

freebrickproductions

(They/Them)

Zeffy

Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

kurumi

My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

jeffandnicole

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Brandon

"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

freebrickproductions

Quote from: Zeffy on September 20, 2014, 12:07:31 AM
Quote from: freebrickproductions on September 19, 2014, 10:01:20 PM
I don't understand why there's all this extra space on this sign:
https://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ll=34.719183,-86.627766&spn=0.000002,0.001032&t=h&z=21&layer=c&cbll=34.719183,-86.627766&panoid=EiEbQ8bR9ou3HR701HumUA&cbp=12,185.21,,2,-13.14

And on the sign to the left, the cardinal direction / shields don't align.
Apparently, when the signs were put up, they accidentally put an AL 53 shield on the Jordan Lane sign (because the sign shop didn't know where AL 53 went) and mis-signed I-565 as North/South. They later fixed the signage an removed all instances of AL 20 when it was truncated to just past I-65. They moved the AL 53 shield over to where the AL 20 shield was.

(They/Them)

vdeane

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

jeffandnicole

Alex4897

👉😎👉

MillTheRoadgeek

It's too blurry on GSV (October 2008, I guess), and I can't snap a picture of this, but at the intersection of Dumfries Road (VA 234) and Independent Hill Drive, there is a contradictory "Way" hidden behind a cover-thing (I don't know what it is). Anyone have any info on this, or am I wrong?

Zeffy

Vine Street Expressway (before turning onto 6th Street) in Philadelphia:

From GMSV

Don't see many 2di shields with a 3di number in it anymore.
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

PHLBOS

Quote from: Zeffy on September 26, 2014, 11:15:39 AMDon't see many 2di shields with a 3di number in it anymore.
Here's a nicer example in Camden, NJ at the intersection of Federal St. & Broadway (CR 537 & 551 respectively).
GPS does NOT equal GOD

SignGeek101

This may not look unique or interesting to most of you, but since I live in Canada, seeing a standard (not metric, there are some of those on the Sault Ste Marie International bridge) modern US speed limit sign is quite unique. They even added a km/h sign under it (which is not common place here). I'm guessing when people see the sign, they think mph right away.

Google Streetview shot in Selkirk Manitoba.

GMSV: http://goo.gl/maps/DGox8

Kacie Jane

Quote from: Zeffy on September 26, 2014, 11:15:39 AM
Vine Street Expressway (before turning onto 6th Street) in Philadelphia:

From GMSV

Don't see many 2di shields with a 3di number in it anymore.

The 2di shield for a 3di number isn't that unusual to me; I see ones for 405 out here fairly often.  The green unisign with white outline banner and arrow "plates" however, now that's unusual.

NE2

Quote from: MillTheRoadgeek on September 20, 2014, 08:05:37 PM
It's too blurry on GSV (October 2008, I guess), and I can't snap a picture of this, but at the intersection of Dumfries Road (VA 234) and Independent Hill Drive, there is a contradictory "Way" hidden behind a cover-thing (I don't know what it is). Anyone have any info on this, or am I wrong?

Probably a body-bagged construction sign. Get in the TARDIS if you want to check it out.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

BamaZeus

Quote from: SignGeek101 on September 29, 2014, 12:01:54 AM
This may not look unique or interesting to most of you, but since I live in Canada, seeing a standard (not metric, there are some of those on the Sault Ste Marie International bridge) modern US speed limit sign is quite unique. They even added a km/h sign under it (which is not common place here). I'm guessing when people see the sign, they think mph right away.

Google Streetview shot in Selkirk Manitoba.

GMSV: http://goo.gl/maps/DGox8

I'm more amused with the "no golfing" sign right behind it.  It seems like a strange problem to cause a regulatory sign to be erected.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.