News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Main Menu

Unique, Odd, or Interesting Signs aka The good, the bad, and the ugly

Started by mass_citizen, December 04, 2013, 10:46:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeffy

Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

NoGoodNamesAvailable

Not sure about this one. Does anyone know if this is standard, or at least if you've seen others in NYC?

Zeffy

Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

NE2

Quote from: NoGoodNamesAvailable on November 14, 2014, 08:17:40 PM
Not sure about this one. Does anyone know if this is standard, or at least if you've seen others in NYC?

That ONLY below is definitely wrong.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

NoGoodNamesAvailable

SignGeek101

I would have just put arrows to where it was ok to turn and nowhere else. I think when people are driving and see a black arrow, they believe they can turn there, without even reading the text.

NoGoodNamesAvailable

Got some more signs.

Not sure about this one. Looks "off" to me.

That second shield looks awfully... bulbous.

vtk

Quote from: NoGoodNamesAvailable on November 15, 2014, 04:14:44 PM

Drafting error.  I'd say they got the radius dimensions confused for the top curve vs the shoulder curves.  The fact that it's a cutout is troubling.  Does that mean a punch die was manufactured to the wrong specifications?
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

cl94

Quote from: vtk on November 15, 2014, 09:12:57 PM
Quote from: NoGoodNamesAvailable on November 15, 2014, 04:14:44 PM
[Image removed]

Drafting error.  I'd say they got the radius dimensions confused for the top curve vs the shoulder curves.  The fact that it's a cutout is troubling.  Does that mean a punch die was manufactured to the wrong specifications?

Or they just laser cut it. Quite common nowadays as you can just take an AutoCAD file and have the thing finished within minutes, no die needed.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

PHLBOS

Old-school direction arrow (though the arrowhead's a bit small) going through the I-95 shield applied to a relatively-new MassDOT D6 "Paddle" sign in Waltham.  Another old-school attribute of this LGS is that it's 2-sided (pan the attached link).  For newer installations, MassDOT typically installs two separate single-sided D6 panels.

The lower D8 panel is somewhat oddly configured as well with the small upright arrow and the squeezing in of both the local & distant destinations.  For 2-destination listings, either a larger D8 panel (such has been done elsewhere) or a separate D6 installation for the I-95 South LGS would've been better IMHO.

Fortunately, since this installation is at a signalized intersection for a conventional roadway; normal traffic won't be traveling at a high rate of speed so the current D8 panel with the smallish arrow & lettering should suffice.

GPS does NOT equal GOD

talllguy

Here's a sign for 95 on a trail in the Columbia area. It's way up there!

Photo by Elliott Plack, on Flickr

PHLBOS

While not unique in style per say (though one could argue whether it's erroneous or not); the recently-erected replacement BGS' for the now-gone button-copy BGS' along US 202/322 at the Business 322/High St. interchange still uses Paoli for a US 202 northbound destination (as opposed to King of Prussia).
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Billy F 1988

Wah! What is with that "BUSINESS" drop cap on the High Street sign? Is that like Series E Condensed or something?
Finally upgraded to Expressway after, what, seven or so years on this forum? Took a dadgum while, but, I made it!

PHLBOS

Quote from: Billy F 1988 on November 24, 2014, 12:16:50 PM
Wah! What is with that "BUSINESS" drop cap on the High Street sign?
PennDOT's done similar before.

Quote from: Billy F 1988 on November 24, 2014, 12:16:50 PMIs that like Series E Condensed or something?
Same font as the other letters; just a different height.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

roadman

Quote from: PHLBOS on November 21, 2014, 08:43:39 AM
Old-school direction arrow (though the arrowhead's a bit small) going through the I-95 shield applied to a relatively-new MassDOT D6 "Paddle" sign in Waltham.  Another old-school attribute of this LGS is that it's 2-sided (pan the attached link).  For newer installations, MassDOT typically installs two separate single-sided D6 panels.

The lower D8 panel is somewhat oddly configured as well with the small upright arrow and the squeezing in of both the local & distant destinations.  For 2-destination listings, either a larger D8 panel (such has been done elsewhere) or a separate D6 installation for the I-95 South LGS would've been better IMHO.

Fortunately, since this installation is at a signalized intersection for a conventional roadway; normal traffic won't be traveling at a high rate of speed so the current D8 panel with the smallish arrow & lettering should suffice.

District 4 strikes again - probably a knockdown was replaced under either Accident Recovery or the sign maintenance contract, and they likely based the replacement legend off of an old sign card.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

myosh_tino

Quote from: PHLBOS on November 24, 2014, 04:01:14 PM
Quote from: Billy F 1988 on November 24, 2014, 12:16:50 PMIs that like Series E Condensed or something?
Same font as the other letters; just a different height.

To me, the raised-cap BUSINESS uses Series E letters with reduced inter-character spacing.  The letters, themselves are not compressed, just the spacing between them.
Quote from: golden eagle
If I owned a dam and decided to donate it to charity, would I be giving a dam? I'm sure that might be a first because no one really gives a dam.

SignGeek101

vdeane

Maybe it's set that way for Canadians that don't' know what feet are? (not the Americans ever bother with unit conversions in the first place)
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

cl94

But even so, ~600 feet isn't a commonly-used signage distance. Usually, they'd round it up to 1/8 mile or 1000 ft.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

vtk

Obviously the construction contract specified the work limits by mileage along ME 161, to three decimal places as I'm sure is common.  Whatever rule normally results in signs like "road work next XXX miles" doesn't seem to have a provision for rounding, as I've seen other examples with so many digits given.  The fact that this work zone is so short just slightly adds to the absurdity.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

freebrickproductions

It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

NE2

I've seen that around here (and the reverse, U-turn must yield to right turn, placed where right turns get a green arrow along with the green left).

Question: in the states where you can turn left on red from a two-way onto a one-way, can you bang a uey on red?

It's also worth noting that (on multilane roads) this conflict technically only applies in states where you don't have to turn into the nearest lane. But requiring a U-turn into the leftmost lane is fucking stupid, since half the U-turners are going to be turning right soon.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

jakeroot

Quote from: freebrickproductions on November 27, 2014, 01:07:44 AM
Saw this today over in Madison, AL. This is the first time I've seen something like this.

I've seen deviations of that in Washington before: http://goo.gl/aLKDPT

SSOWorld

Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

jakeroot

Quote from: NE2 on November 27, 2014, 01:12:48 AM
Question: in the states where you can turn left on red from a two-way onto a one-way, can you bang a uey on red?

Left turn on red from two way to one way is found most often in downtown streets with one-way couplets, and downtown streets aren't often wide enough for U-turns. That said, this is one place where a uey on red could occur. But at least in Washington, U-turns are legal except when you would interfere with other traffic or when a sign prevents it, so most people would just flip a bitch in the middle of the street. Meaning, your described situation is hilariously rare.

Quote from: NE2 on November 27, 2014, 01:12:48 AM
It's also worth noting that (on multilane roads) this conflict technically only applies in states where you don't have to turn into the nearest lane. But requiring a U-turn into the leftmost lane is fucking stupid, since half the U-turners are going to be turning right soon.

I don't think cars are capable of turning into the far left lane after a U-turn. There's a road near where I grew up that has three lanes in each direction with a hard median. Where there are lefts allowed, U-turns are also allowed. Despite having tried, I have never been able to turn into the closest lane (middle lane once).

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.