News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Unique, Odd, or Interesting Signs aka The good, the bad, and the ugly

Started by mass_citizen, December 04, 2013, 10:46:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

6a

freebrickproductions

It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

vtk

It's a squished wide shield. But what they squished isn't quite the same as the perfect '70-spec shields next to it.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

Zeffy

Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

Neddyfram

Quote from: freebrickproductions on February 21, 2015, 09:04:25 PM
This US 72 shield seems to be a bit off for some reason:
US 231/US 431/ US 72 by freebrickproductions, on Flickr
For some reason that US72's sign's sticking-out parts at the top of the shield reminds me of the devil...

Quote from: US71 on December 05, 2013, 11:07:26 PM

Ugly fonts in Oklahoma

That US64 sign looks cool with that font.

Quote from: jakeroot on February 16, 2015, 02:11:36 PM
Just outside Victoria BC. Should be somewhat self explanatory as to what the arrow means (based on the environment visible (HINT: right turn doesn't stop)), I've just never seen it used for a stop sign before (the plaque is supposed to be used under a yield sign, per the BCMOT roundabout signing manual (page 4)).

Another thing I noticed is that's a British styled arrow
STATE LAW

Soon clearview will be the [glow=yellow,10,000]NEW[/glow] transport.  :-o

jakeroot

Quote from: Neddyfram on February 22, 2015, 02:44:05 AM
Quote from: jakeroot on February 16, 2015, 02:11:36 PM
Just outside Victoria BC. Should be somewhat self explanatory as to what the arrow means (based on the environment visible (HINT: right turn doesn't stop)), I've just never seen it used for a stop sign before (the plaque is supposed to be used under a yield sign, per the BCMOT roundabout signing manual (page 4)).

Another thing I noticed is that's a British styled arrow

Hardly surprising -- about 6-tenths are natives of the British isles (including me).

jakeroot

I know the image is utter shit (dashcam footage FTW) but here's a sign I saw that doesn't seem to correspond to any sort of established signing standard, though I still like it:

dcbjms

School crossing colors for pedestrian crossings?  Now that's interesting, for sure.

busman_49

jbnv

🆕 Louisiana Highways on Twitter | Yes, I like Clearview. Deal with it. | Redos: US | La. | Route Challenge

roadfro

Quote from: jakeroot on February 22, 2015, 05:20:15 PM
I know the image is utter shit (dashcam footage FTW) but here's a sign I saw that doesn't seem to correspond to any sort of established signing standard, though I still like it:

There is a standard sign in the 2009 MUTCD, "turning vehicles yield to pedestrians" sign (R10-15) that is substantially similar to the intent of this sign. Subbing the yield symbol for a stop symbol would exactly duplicate the meaning of this.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

1995hoo

Quote from: 1995hoo on January 16, 2015, 01:00:05 PM
I can't decide which thread is the right place for this one. Spotted it yesterday on Seminary Road in Alexandria, Virginia, and passed it again today, allowing me to get a picture.

The sign is trying to tell you that the far right lane (the one coming in from my right on the other side of the island) is an option lane at the traffic light up ahead past the dump truck, the left lane is left-only at the same light, and then beyond the light the left thru lane goes straight over the main overpass and the two lanes to the right of that split to the right onto a different overpass to provide access to I-395 northbound (via a left turn further up the road). Going straight through the light in the far right lane puts you in a lane leading to southbound I-395.

How effective the sign is at conveying all that, I don't know, given that I know the area well even with the current construction project. But the sign certainly seems to qualify as a strange one to me given how it appears to depict two right-turn-only lanes slamming into a straight-thru lane.

I posted the above in January. I just passed that sign again today and found it has been modified. The new version, seen below, is more accurate but is still weird-looking. I didn't report the old sign to VDOT or to the City of Alexandria, so I have no idea whether someone complained or whether there was a crash or whatever.

(The sign in this picture is actually in the background of the first picture to the right of the dump truck, but both signs were and are identical. I just had an easier time getting a picture of the second one today while stopped at the red light. There was enough traffic that I couldn't really slow down to get a picture of the first sign.)

"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

vtk

And that sign overhangs the sidewalk.  Doesn't look like a problem here, but it seemed worth pointing out as this issue has been discussed in the Poor Placement thread.

Regarding the sign itself, I would make sure the right turn arrow shafts have long straight segments below the curves, and the left turn arrow curves left very near the bottom of the sign, at the same height of the lower branch of the rightmost arrow. Also, the two leftmost right arrows should maybe curve less than the one to their right, if those lanes indeed go to different places.

Or, alternatively, use standard signs that only deal with one intersection at a time, and use small guide signs on span wire before the first intersection for lane assignment beyond that intersection.

HTM Duke

I've known for a while about a AAA-installed wayfinding sign in Alexandria, VA, located at the intersection of Prince & Commerce Streets.  What I didn't know about until recently that there were two more remaining (3 in total left of out of the original 21, circa 1930's), located at S Pitt & Wolfe Streets and Cameron & N Columbus Streets.  Here's a short blog article about the history, along with non-street view images of the first and third signs.  Definitely not flashy, but easily some of the oldest wayfinding signage left in Virginia.
List of routes: Traveled | Clinched

1995hoo

Quote from: HTM Duke on February 27, 2015, 04:12:03 AM
I've known for a while about a AAA-installed wayfinding sign in Alexandria, VA, located at the intersection of Prince & Commerce Streets.  What I didn't know about until recently that there were two more remaining (3 in total left of out of the original 21, circa 1930's), located at S Pitt & Wolfe Streets and Cameron & N Columbus Streets.  Here's a short blog article about the history, along with non-street view images of the first and third signs.  Definitely not flashy, but easily some of the oldest wayfinding signage left in Virginia.

Damn. All the times I've driven through Old Town and I've never noticed any of these (recognizing when I use Commerce Street it's usually night and I'm looking for a parking space and not paying attention to road signs). Thanks for posting that.

There's a lot of interesting historical stuff to be found in Old Town dating back to colonial times. One I recall from the fourth-grade Virginia history program many years ago was "gossip mirrors" on houses (essentially a mirror hangs from an upstairs window so the resident can see who's outside on the sidewalk). But aside from the cutouts on US-1, this is the first I recall historic road signs, and these are more in keeping with the "historic" theme than the cutouts are.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

PHLBOS

Something tells me that this sign assembly is not state spec'd.  Interesting-looking US 2 shield & font.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Zeffy

Quote from: PHLBOS on February 27, 2015, 04:24:15 PM
Interesting-looking US 2 shield & font.

I disagree - that looks like Helvetica, and the shield itself is nasty looking. Blehhhhhhh!
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

SignGeek101

Quote from: Zeffy on February 27, 2015, 04:38:54 PM
Quote from: PHLBOS on February 27, 2015, 04:24:15 PM
Interesting-looking US 2 shield & font.

I disagree - that looks like Helvetica, and the shield itself is nasty looking. Blehhhhhhh!

Yup, non-standard for sure. I don't recall a large white border on the edges of US hwy signs either. I don't understand why so many signs use Helvetica. There are many other fonts out there (not including highway fonts) that look waayy better than Helvetica IMO.

SignGeek101

http://goo.gl/maps/xUfSt

Definitely a MUTCD violation, but not worst for sure, not a design error of any type, so I'll post it here. Looks like something you'd see out of New Brunswick.

vtk

I think a significant deviation from whatever MUTCD was in effect when the sign was designed is automatically a design error.  This is... a poorly designed correction to an erroneous sign?

freebrickproductions

I haven't seen a "low clearance" sign with this large of a height anywhere else, so...
23.5 Foot Clearance by freebrickproductions, on Flickr
This is located on one of the supports for the pedestrian bridge behind my school.
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

Big John

^^ So no railroad track there?  23' min from the top of the track is the recommended clearance for a bridge over a railroad.

freebrickproductions

Quote from: Big John on February 28, 2015, 02:03:16 PM
^^ So no railroad track there?  23' min from the top of the track is the recommended clearance for a bridge over a railroad.
There is a Norfolk Southern line right next to the school, but I don't see why they had to put a sign for drivers in the school's parking lot warning them about the height though.

(They/Them)

TEG24601

Quote from: freebrickproductions on February 28, 2015, 02:05:02 PM
Quote from: Big John on February 28, 2015, 02:03:16 PM
There is a Norfolk Southern line right next to the school, but I don't see why they had to put a sign for drivers in the school's parking lot warning them about the height though.

Perhaps they decided to be cute like MDOT and put one on every bloddy bridge, including the top of a 4 level stack so show how high the top roadway is from the bottom.
They said take a left at the fork in the road.  I didn't think they literally meant a fork, until plain as day, there was a fork sticking out of the road at a junction.

thenetwork

Quote from: freebrickproductions on February 28, 2015, 01:57:19 PM
I haven't seen a "low clearance" sign with this large of a height anywhere else, so...
23.5 Foot Clearance by freebrickproductions, on Flickr
This is located on one of the supports for the pedestrian bridge behind my school.

This goes back 30 years, but I seem to recall many high-low clearance signs along I-40 in Texas.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.