Unique, Odd, or Interesting Signs aka The good, the bad, and the ugly

Started by mass_citizen, December 04, 2013, 10:46:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stratuscaster

Quote from: jeffandnicole on March 14, 2015, 01:34:18 PMIf you see someone walking in a crosswalk, you wait for them to cross. 
Goes both ways. Would be nice for pedestrians to pay attention to the crosswalk signals - even nicer if they would follow them.

It's a team sport, not an individual competition.

jakeroot

Quote from: Stratuscaster on March 14, 2015, 03:06:44 PM

I think I agree, the only problem being that one team is full of big players who are powerful and fast, and the other team is weak and slow.

Stratuscaster

Quote from: jakeroot on March 14, 2015, 03:26:13 PM

I think I agree, the only problem being that one team is full of big players who are powerful and fast, and the other team is weak and slow.
In other words, just like high school. ;)

jeffandnicole

Quote from: jeffandnicole on March 14, 2015, 01:34:18 PMIf you see someone walking in a crosswalk, you wait for them to cross. 
Goes both ways. Would be nice for pedestrians to pay attention to the crosswalk signals - even nicer if they would follow them.

Sigh...

Going back to the context of my response, which was more than that one line, in a mid-block or other location where one could normally expect to see a Yield To/Stop For Pedestrian sign, one should wait for the Ped. 

Yes, both should pay attention. Very annoying when the Ped crosses on a don't walk signal, then gets in a car and fails to yield to other pedestrians.

Stratuscaster

Agreed. Didn't mean to go out of text or generate confusion.

freebrickproductions

Not a real sign, but I found this in a local school. I have to wonder how a 3DI for I-π would signed. Maybe I-(x00+π), where x was a number between 1 and 9?
Also, what font does it use?
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

Mapmikey

vdeane

I'm of the opinion that one should be able to blow on through as long as they would not conflict with the pedestrian legally crossing the street (in a crosswalk and not against a don't walk signal).  If the conflict does exist, one should only need to take the minimal action (slowing down, changing lanes, stopping, etc.) necessary to avert the conflict.

I was in Baltimore today, and there are seriously those who walk into traffic willy nilly as if cars don't exist.  I would expect that, by and large, THESE are the pedestrians that tend to get hit.  Why anyone has sympathy for them is beyond me.  If they want to win a Darwin Award, so be it, but don't make my life inconvenient just to accommodate their arrogance and stupidity.

It offends me when people carry out their lives with no regard for how their actions affect others.  I strive to make it so that my actions in life don't so much as inconvenience another person (well, another person who isn't a a-hole, at least).  I'm not perfect (and I do feel guilty when I don't meet my high standards that I set for both myself and the rest of humanity), but that's what I strive for.  Unfortunately, it seems I'm the only one with that goal.  If we were all more respectful of how we affect others, not only would traffic congestion be a thing of the past, but the world would be a better place.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

TheHighwayMan3561

If you feel you have a chance to cross when it's not your turn and there's no traffic I can deal with that...except that I expect you to hustle your way across the street. I've had the experience of having to slow down for a guy crossing on a red who was taking his sweet time in doing so, and he certainly appeared capable of picking up the speed but simply chose not to.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

SignGeek101

Quote from: freebrickproductions on March 14, 2015, 08:56:21 PM
Not a real sign, but I found this in a local school. I have to wonder how a 3DI for I-π would signed. Maybe I-(x00+π), where x was a number between 1 and 9?

That font, my friend is Arial. Notice the capital R when comparing with Helvetica is "spread out" compared to the Helvetica R.

And, because it's pi day:

Used Series E with EM spacing for this one.

vtk

Quote from: freebrickproductions on March 14, 2015, 08:56:21 PM

The latin-alphabet letters are Arial.  The letter π could be from any number of fonts, but my hunch is it's some easy-to-type letter in the font Symbol.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

Zeffy

Couldn't resist (inspired by SignGeek101's sign, but my own twist):

It's fairly obvious, but if you read it from top to bottom, left to right, you'll get... yeah, you guessed it. Pity there's nowhere in the actual United States where these three routes meet.
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

NE2

Quote from: vdeane on March 14, 2015, 09:35:26 PM
If we were all more respectful of how we affect others, not only would traffic congestion be a thing of the past, but the world would be a better place.
You're right about this. Global warming's effects on civilization and its future would lead enough people to stop driving that we wouldn't have any congestion.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

vtk

One way or another, eventually people will stop driving cars and there will be no traffic.  Eventually.

roadfro

Quote from: vtk on March 14, 2015, 10:42:54 PM
The latin-alphabet letters are Arial.  The letter π could be from any number of fonts, but my hunch is it's some easy-to-type letter in the font Symbol.

I'm going to assume you meant the Greek letter "pi" (in the interstate shield)...
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

vtk

Quote from: roadfro on March 15, 2015, 01:33:38 AM

I'm going to assume you meant the Greek letter "pi" (in the interstate shield)...

Is there any other letter π on the sign?

jakeroot

Quote from: vtk on March 15, 2015, 03:29:12 AM

I would appear that internet fonts don't support the more detailed form of pi.

Brandon

Quote from: vtk on March 15, 2015, 12:02:09 AM
One way or another, eventually people will stop driving cars and there will be no traffic.  Eventually.

Pardon me while I laugh my ass off.  Traffic was here before the automobile, and it will be here even if the automobile were to go away.  Ever see pictures of New York or London in the 19th century?  It's just as crowded as today.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

vdeane

Quote from: NE2 on March 14, 2015, 11:17:32 PM
Quote from: vdeane on March 14, 2015, 09:35:26 PM
If we were all more respectful of how we affect others, not only would traffic congestion be a thing of the past, but the world would be a better place.
You're right about this. Global warming's effects on civilization and its future would lead enough people to stop driving that we wouldn't have any congestion.
Ever hear of solar power?  Or all electric cars?  Technology is improving, and I expect that a combination of solar, wind, and better batteries could easily eliminate our use of fossil fuels within a couple decades, if only we would put our research money into that instead of finding ever more difficult places to get oil.  I hate it when environmentalists refuse to acknowledge it.  It's like shooting yourself in the foot.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

NE2

If we switched to all clean power, electric cars would be a reasonable way to go for some trips. But (a) a simple switch to electric cars without changing the method of electricity generation just shifts the pollution source and (b) fuel isn't the only environmental impact of driving.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

roadfro

Quote from: jakeroot on March 15, 2015, 04:09:27 AM
Quote from: vtk on March 15, 2015, 03:29:12 AM

I would appear that internet fonts don't support the more detailed form of pi.

When I posted originally, i was using Chrome on my iPad, and it definitely looked like the letter "n" was used.

Posting now from Firefox on a Windows desktop, it is obvious that a "pi" was typed. My apologies.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

freebrickproductions

It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

vtk

It would appear that internet fonts don't support the more detailed form of pi.

It's a matter of typography. In most sans-serif fonts, a lowercase pi is fairly simple and looks like a boxy lowercase en, because that's typical of sans-serif Greek text. The mathematical symbol, like almost everything else in math, is traditionally printed in a serif font.

Quote from: Brandon on March 15, 2015, 06:39:49 AM
Quote from: vtk on March 15, 2015, 12:02:09 AM

Pardon me while I laugh my ass off.  Traffic was here before the automobile, and it will be here even if the automobile were to go away.  Ever see pictures of New York or London in the 19th century?  It's just as crowded as today.

Eventually. You're not thinking far enough ahead. (Ever see pictures of New York from 100,000 BC?)

The Nature Boy

I have it on good word that this is a picture of New York in 65 million BC:

jakeroot

Quote from: vtk on March 15, 2015, 08:43:54 PM
It would appear that internet fonts don't support the more detailed form of pi.

It's a matter of typography. In most sans-serif fonts, a lowercase pi is fairly simple and looks like a boxy lowercase en, because that's typical of sans-serif Greek text. The mathematical symbol, like almost everything else in math, is traditionally printed in a serif font.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.