News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Unique, Odd, or Interesting Signs aka The good, the bad, and the ugly

Started by mass_citizen, December 04, 2013, 10:46:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brandon

Quote from: talllguy on April 15, 2014, 01:20:17 PM
I thought this was odd because VMS are usually mounted overhead. I don't think I've ever seen one mounted on a pole like this. Looks like a billboard. I-495 in Maryland.

MoDOT does that rather often.

"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

talllguy

How about this one? An attempt to save on the cost of a 1/4" bolt? Also this is just odd for many reasons. Too low, mounted on a rock, colors mixed, doesn't make sense.

Saving Bolts by Elliott P, on Flickr

roadman

Quote from: talllguy on April 15, 2014, 04:11:10 PM
How about this one? An attempt to save on the cost of a 1/4" bolt? Also this is just odd for many reasons. Too low, mounted on a rock, colors mixed, doesn't make sense.

Saving Bolts by Elliott P, on Flickr
Sadly, the "let's save a bolt or two" practice is all too common in many muncipalities in Massachusetts.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

agentsteel53

Quote from: talllguy on April 15, 2014, 04:11:10 PM

given the loading docks in the background, I would bet that it was actually the company who owns the warehouse who put up those two signs on the public right of way.  I think they probably asked the relevant municipal authority to furnish signage... but when one more of their trucks got dinged by a careless driver while the request was slowly worming through the bureaucracy, they just went ahead and procured for themselves.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

agentsteel53

I thought this was odd because VMS are usually mounted overhead. I don't think I've ever seen one mounted on a pole like this. Looks like a billboard. I-495 in Maryland.

[no texting/no hand-held phone]

well, that's better than the "if you see something, say something" that was prevalent circa 2006, but it's still pretty fucking nanny.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

hotdogPi

Quote from: agentsteel53 on April 15, 2014, 05:12:40 PM
"if you see something, say something" that was prevalent circa 2006

I have seen something similar to that in 2014.

(It's on an advertising sign that switches between advertisements and public service announcements).
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

vtk

VMS on a Pole by Elliott P, on Flickr

O(hio)DOT sometimes does that when there's a curve in the road, so the sign is directly ahead of the traffic a couple hundred feet upstream.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

1995hoo

This is probably fake, but it made me smile anyway:

"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Zeffy

Quote from: 1995hoo on April 17, 2014, 10:38:15 AM
This is probably fake, but it made me smile anyway:

I don't see anything - but it might be because the link is pointing to an attachment on a forum, which is usually unable to be linked to without registration.
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

1995hoo

Quote from: Zeffy on April 17, 2014, 10:50:11 AM
I don't see anything - but it might be because the link is pointing to an attachment on a forum, which is usually unable to be linked to without registration.

It's showing up fine for me on multiple devices, but thanks for telling me. I'll edit the original post.

Zeffy

Quote from: 1995hoo on April 17, 2014, 11:03:06 AM
It's showing up fine for me on multiple devices, but thanks for telling me. I'll edit the original post.

If that sign is fake - then I will give whoever did that a gold medal in Photoshopping, because it's fooling me.

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

vtk

Quote from: Zeffy on April 17, 2014, 11:07:10 AM
Quote from: 1995hoo on April 17, 2014, 11:03:06 AM

If that sign is fake - then I will give whoever did that a gold medal in Photoshopping, because it's fooling me.

This image has been featured here before. I believe it was determined to be fake. But it is indeed a very good fake.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

shadyjay

Vermont's only permanent VMS is mounted on two poles on the side and is about 1/4 the size of the above linked image.  It's located on I-89 North after Exit 4 and the former rest area on the climb up to Brookfield Heights, the highest point on I-89.

https://www.google.com/maps/@44.042676,-72.609744,3a,75y,29.68h,90t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sdK_yBBBL3dmXbfzs-Tbi8A!2e0

Also in recent years, MassDOT has installed some slightly larger ones than the VT one on I-91 in the Greenfield area.  Given MassDOT's desire to move all BGSs to overheads (even in extremely rural areas), I wonder if the VMSs too will go overhead.

route56

48732 by richiekennedy56, on Flickr

135th just west of Nall. Given the actual design of the sign and the orange sticker in back, this is at best a refurbished KDOT installation that probably is a leftover from the K-150 days.
Peace to you, and... don't drive like my brother.

R.P.K.

DSS5

The red and white No Right Turn on Red sign in Mountain City, TN is the only one of its kind I've seen. I had to use a weird angle to get a good StreetView image of it - http://goo.gl/maps/LHQPV

DSS5

NCDOT has put up VMS with this style in advance of the Business 40 project in Winston-Salem.

jakeroot

Scott5114

Across from the county courthouse, in Guthrie. Particularly unique, odd, and interesting because as far as I know, Logan County (and Oklahoma in general!) has never used county pentagons...
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Zeffy

That white on blue County Route shield reminds me of how Somerset County signs their county roads... well, I think they stopped and switched to yellow on blue now.

Bobby5280

The stick-on letters look as if they were purchased from either Hobby Lobby or Dollar General.

mass_citizen

jakeroot

A couple of interesting spots today in Seattle:

A symbol-only "no right turn on red":

And a new theme in Seattle (it would seem). Overhead "turn only" signs that are white arrows on a black background. I think they look nicer with the black signal arm.

Big John

^^ So Seattle adopted the Canadian "no turn on red" symbol sign I see.

1995hoo

The first time I saw that style of No Turn on Red sign was on the Island of Montreal. Turning on red is now legal in the province of Quebec except on the Island of Montreal (similar to New York State versus New York City, though I don't know of Montreal having an exception where a sign permits it like NYC has).

jakeroot

Quote from: Big John on May 02, 2014, 08:56:34 AM
^^ So Seattle adopted the Canadian "no turn on red" symbol sign I see.

Yes, they are going the way of the Canucks! Fine by me, I prefer their MUTCD anyways.

Quote from: 1995hoo on May 04, 2014, 02:22:33 PM
The first time I saw that style of No Turn on Red sign was on the Island of Montreal. Turning on red is now legal in the province of Quebec except on the Island of Montreal (similar to New York State versus New York City, though I don't know of Montreal having an exception where a sign permits it like NYC has).

I only started paying attention to signs about a year ago, but I too have only seen this sign in Canada. There is a sort of half-symbol-half-text no turn on red sign a number of blocks south at the off-ramp from I-5 North but this is the only American symbol-only no turn on red that I have ever seen.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.