News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Unique, Odd, or Interesting Signs aka The good, the bad, and the ugly

Started by mass_citizen, December 04, 2013, 10:46:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeffy

Ryder University had these signs posted near the south exit/entrance to the University - my guess is they were trying to help people get back home (today was the Class of 2014 Commencement Ceremony, which my family attended). Yeah, it's pretty ugly, but at least the fonts didn't turn out to be Arial. Or something worse.

Sorry for the amount of water on the window - it was raining. Very hard. I got rained on quite hard while walking to my parent's car... but I didn't care. Worst case scenario my hair was really wet, which didn't really bother me. (And for those wondering - yeah, it got pretty wet... as did the rest of my body)

Also, there was this sign, which I had to do a rendition of, because I couldn't get my phone unlocked fast enough to snap it... (somehow they got the Turnpike shield right here, because I remember thinking to myself "wow, they used the correct fonts" and then smacking my head when I saw the non-cutout shields ahead. And yes, the sign had just the white background behind it, no border, and used Arial.

Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Zeffy on May 16, 2014, 03:06:41 PM
Sorry for the amount of water on the window - it was raining. Very hard.

Quit with the excuses.  Get out there and dry the window next time! :-)

Otherwise, for a temporary setup, looks like they executed it well, with guiding traffic both directions to prevent overloading of any one particular route.

Zeffy

Quote from: jeffandnicole on May 16, 2014, 03:40:34 PM
Otherwise, for a temporary setup, looks like they executed it well, with guiding traffic both directions to prevent overloading of any one particular route.

True, except the junction with I-95 is probably less than a mile north of the University, and the sorry saps who went south on 206 got to see the worst of Trenton (and probably added about 5-10 more minutes) getting to I-195. Coming to the University, Exit 7A was packed coming from I-95 North. Coming out was easy since there wasn't much traffic at all.

Quote from: jeffandnicole on May 16, 2014, 03:40:34 PM
Quit with the excuses.  Get out there and dry the window next time! :-)

Well that would've worked if it weren't POURING rain when I took the picture.  :D

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

vdeane

Quote from: Zeffy on May 16, 2014, 03:50:38 PM
Well that would've worked if it weren't POURING rain when I took the picture.  :D
Get a tent to cover the car and the shields.  And dry the shields first too.  And the scenery.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

jakeroot

Quote from: vdeane on May 16, 2014, 06:48:09 PM
Get a tent to cover the car and the shields.  And dry the shields first too.  And the scenery.

If we are gonna get a tent why not just stay the night there? Get a number of shots at different light levels, just see which one turns out best! Easy.

Alex4897

Quote from: jake on May 16, 2014, 07:18:25 PM

If we are gonna get a tent why not just stay the night there? Get a number of shots at different light levels, just see which one turns out best! Easy.
While you're at it, why don't you just make it stop raining.  Can't be too hard.
👉😎👉

Zeffy

So for next time, it looks like I need to use my WeatherChanger Machine™ that I have secretly built, bring an oversized hair dryer, and set up for the night with a tent.

How genius.

vdeane

Quote from: Alex4897 on May 17, 2014, 10:08:31 AM
Quote from: jake on May 16, 2014, 07:18:25 PM

While you're at it, why don't you just make it stop raining.  Can't be too hard.
Too easy.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Zeffy

Interesting groups of signs I found on a fire station in Chicago:

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.894972,-87.748502,3a,19.6y,313.52h,87.57t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sPq5a7UaRGrLWyP-n0cCU5g!2e0

From what I can see in the picture, the shields say 'UNIT(s)' at the top, and the unit number at the bottom. It looks to be in full FHWA font as well.

vtk

Quote from: Zeffy on May 24, 2014, 12:17:56 AM

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.894972,-87.748502,3a,19.6y,313.52h,87.57t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sPq5a7UaRGrLWyP-n0cCU5g!2e0

From what I can see in the picture, the shields say 'UNIT(s)' at the top, and the unit number at the bottom. It looks to be in full FHWA font as well.

They probably asked a local DOT sign shop to makee those for them. They're probably retroreflective and everything.  The US route marker seems appropriate because of the shape similarity to police/fire badges.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

6a

Quote from: vtk on May 24, 2014, 12:51:27 AM

They probably asked a local DOT sign shop to makee those for them. They're probably retroreflective and everything.  The US route marker seems appropriate because of the shape similarity to police/fire badges.

A couple stations here have something along those lines, although slightly less serious.

mcdonaat

http://goo.gl/maps/eWLV1
Texas has Alternate US 90 and Alternate US 77. We have Alternate LA 2 and Alternate Myth and Legends Trail.

http://goo.gl/maps/eWLV1

Brandon

Quote from: vtk on May 24, 2014, 12:51:27 AM
Quote from: Zeffy on May 24, 2014, 12:17:56 AM

Probably CDOT, not IDOT.  The Chicago Department of Transportation (CDOT) is responsible for all non-expressway signage in the city, including Lake Shore Drive.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

jakeroot

I still get a kick out the BC dashed borders...it seems that they largely are involved with truck signs, but there are some that aren't directly related to trucks, so not 100% sure. Also, these signs aren't particularly unique (there's hundreds across BC) but they are certainly unique to BC, from my knowledge.

vtk

Quote from: jake on May 29, 2014, 12:11:36 AM

Why is "Detour Via" not in all caps?  And is it common practice in BC to have figures to the right of a decimal point in smaller type?
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

jakeroot

Quote from: vtk on May 29, 2014, 12:33:14 PM
Why is "Detour Via" not in all caps?  And is it common practice in BC to have figures to the right of a decimal point in smaller type?

Not sure why "Detour Via" is not in caps, but in regards to smaller numbers right of a decimal point, that's a standard. Here's a distance sign with the same approach:

And here's another dotted border sign. This one definitely relates to trucks:

Brandon

Quote from: jake on May 29, 2014, 01:32:51 PM
Not sure why "Detour Via" is not in caps, but in regards to smaller numbers right of a decimal point, that's a standard. Here's a distance sign with the same approach:

Damn, I hate that.  Just use a fricking fraction and make it look nicer instead of those ugly small numbers after a point.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

Zeffy

Quote from: Brandon on May 29, 2014, 01:46:13 PM
Damn, I hate that.  Just use a fricking fraction and make it look nicer instead of those ugly small numbers after a point.

I believe the UK is guilty of this practice on signs such as this one:

jakeroot

Quote from: Zeffy on May 29, 2014, 02:16:48 PM

I believe the UK is guilty of this practice on signs such as this one

Canada is made up largely of English people. Clearly some things were pulled from the old world. This practice, and then you have BC's roundabout diagrams, which are pulled from the UK, and the fingerposts, which are a UK staple.

Also, never bothered to notice this before, but...

"5.0"...so 5? Must be a continuity thing.

1995hoo

Fractions are non-standard with metric units. That's part of the whole point of the system.

If you don't like the decimal points, you'd REALLY hate the signs in Quebec that use the standard French version of the decimal point–a comma, such as 1,5 km (meaning 1500 m). Not all their signs are like that, though–some use a period instead.

Sample from Autoroute 15 southeast of Montreal linked below. I recall the old non-Clearview signs using a larger, more pronounced comma than the one seen here.

https://www.google.com/maps/@45.350177,-73.519923,3a,75y,21.43h,107.99t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1ssjlMFKiLulmXJzpxOqaokg!2e0
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

jakeroot

Quote from: 1995hoo on May 29, 2014, 02:33:19 PM
Sample from Autoroute 15 southeast of Montreal linked below. I recall the old non-Clearview signs using a larger, more pronounced comma than the one seen here.

https://www.google.com/maps/@45.350177,-73.519923,3a,75y,21.43h,107.99t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1ssjlMFKiLulmXJzpxOqaokg!2e0

I find it interesting that they kept the FHWA font inside the exit number box and inside the route shield. Reminds me of our standards.

Brandon

Quote from: 1995hoo on May 29, 2014, 02:33:19 PM
Fractions are non-standard with metric units. That's part of the whole point of the system.

If you don't like the decimal points, you'd REALLY hate the signs in Quebec that use the standard French version of the decimal point–a comma, such as 1,5 km (meaning 1500 m). Not all their signs are like that, though–some use a period instead.

I'm even less fond of the comma being misused in place of a decimal point.  The "point" of SI may be a lack of fractions, but fractions actually, IMHO, make it easier to read as one drives.

1 1/2 is a lot easier to see and read at 70 mph than 1.5 or 1,5.

roadman

Quote from: Brandon on May 29, 2014, 03:32:12 PM

Plus, it's so easy to miss the decimal at a glance.  On a resurfacing project on I-93 between Wilmington (MA) and Methuen (MA) a few years back, the contractor installed a sign reading "Road Work Next 13.8 Miles".  Problem was, the sign was so small that the decimal became nearly invisible.  A quick look at the panel, and you'd swear the sign read "138 Miles".
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

jakeroot

Quote from: roadman on May 29, 2014, 03:48:19 PM

Plus, it's so easy to miss the decimal at a glance.  On a resurfacing project on I-93 between Wilmington (MA) and Methuen (MA) a few years back, the contractor installed a sign reading "Road Work Next 13.8 Miles".  Problem was, the sign was so small that the decimal became nearly invisible.  A quick look at the panel, and you'd swear the sign read "138 Miles".

It wouldn't necessarily be wrong, but introducing factors into a base ten system (metric) is extraneous at best. It might be easier to read a fraction from a distance, to an American, but in Canada, fractions aren't really as commonplace. It would confuse more people than it would assist.

Also, notice how in these examples, the decimal is smaller than the whole? That's probably their way of preventing people from thinking it's, for example, 15 vs 1.5 (the latter being correct).

kkt

Quote from: roadman on May 29, 2014, 03:48:19 PM

That would be why the Canadians put the decimal portion in a smaller font that the whole number portion.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.