News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Main Menu

Unique, Odd, or Interesting Signs aka The good, the bad, and the ugly

Started by mass_citizen, December 04, 2013, 10:46:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1995hoo

Quote from: Brandon on May 29, 2014, 03:32:12 PM
Quote from: 1995hoo on May 29, 2014, 02:33:19 PM
Fractions are non-standard with metric units. That's part of the whole point of the system.

If you don't like the decimal points, you'd REALLY hate the signs in Quebec that use the standard French version of the decimal point–a comma, such as 1,5 km (meaning 1500 m). Not all their signs are like that, though–some use a period instead.

Sample from Autoroute 15 southeast of Montreal linked below. I recall the old non-Clearview signs using a larger, more pronounced comma than the one seen here.

https://www.google.com/maps/@45.350177,-73.519923,3a,75y,21.43h,107.99t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1ssjlMFKiLulmXJzpxOqaokg!2e0

I'm even less fond of the comma being misused in place of a decimal point.  The "point" of SI may be a lack of fractions, but fractions actually, IMHO, make it easier to read as one drives.

1 1/2 is a lot easier to see and read at 70 mph than 1.5 or 1,5.

It's not "misuse" of the comma. That's the normal way to write the decimal point in French (and some other languages as well).
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

vdeane

I do not understand why those languages adopted the comma for decimals at all.  Commas mean "pause between breaths".  Decimal points mean "break in idea".  A decimal number is the latter, not the former!
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

sammi

Quote from: vdeane on May 29, 2014, 08:35:54 PM
I do not understand why those languages adopted the comma for decimals at all.  Commas mean "pause between breaths".  Decimal points mean "break in idea".  A decimal number is the latter, not the former!

I don't think of it that way. It's more like: our decimal mark looks like a period, theirs looks like a comma.

The only reason we call them decimal points is because we use the variant that looks like a period.

1995hoo

Quote from: vdeane on May 29, 2014, 08:35:54 PM

Not in other languages.

Я уверен, что русские удивляются, почему мы используем наш алфавит.

Thing 342

I found this assembly at highway-themed ride at a waterpark near me (photo not by me, can be found here):

It's interesting how they combine US-style signage with some semi-European signage. Furthermore, why are the fonts different on each sign? Why does VA-55 point away from ALT-I-66?

vtk

That's surprisingly a lot better than it could have been.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

briantroutman

Considering this is Virgina, I suppose we should be happy that the Interstate shield is a cutout.

hbelkins

The "TO OLD ALT" plates look like they could have come off of one of the assemblies with cutouts for Alternate US 58 in the Norton area.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Mapmikey

Quote from: Thing 342 on June 05, 2014, 03:46:07 PM
I found this assembly at highway-themed ride at a waterpark near me (photo not by me, can be found here):

It's interesting how they combine US-style signage with some semi-European signage. Furthermore, why are the fonts different on each sign? Why does VA-55 point away from ALT-I-66?

This would be very close to an assembly that could have existed if the US HH shield were a VA 17 and the 713 shield were a 731.

From 1962 to the late 70s, this was the western end of I-66 in the Delaplane area:
http://www.historicaerials.com/aerials.php?scale=989&lon=-77.92889564664125&lat=38.89860444226724&year=1965

If you were on VA 55 EB and reached the beginning of the I-66 section, a sign there could have been that 55 east goes left, I-66 east goes straight (rightish), that getting to 17 north is to the left, and faster access to SR 731 south is possible by following 66 because what is now Exit 23 is open.  A little stretch but not outrageous...

I am curious about the BGS in the background though...

Mapmikey

Thing 342

Quote from: briantroutman on June 05, 2014, 08:48:57 PM
Considering this is Virgina, I suppose we should be happy that the Interstate shield is a cutout.
I don't think that it is the right shape though. It seems to be too pointy at the bottom.

1995hoo

Quote from: briantroutman on June 05, 2014, 08:48:57 PM

We have a lot of cutout Interstate shields in Virginia, especially once you get off the Interstate and look for shields pointing you towards an interchange.

agentsteel53

Quote from: hbelkins on June 05, 2014, 11:05:41 PM
The "TO OLD ALT" plates look like they could have come off of one of the assemblies with cutouts for Alternate US 58 in the Norton area.

all that's missing is a ZU.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Thing 342

Quote from: Mapmikey on June 06, 2014, 10:10:07 AM

I am curious about the BGS in the background though...

Mapmikey

The BGS (which I don't have a photo of) is actually pretty good, except that the exit tab is misaligned.

jakeroot

Is there anything glaringly wrong with this setup? Sort of an APL but a bit different because it indicates both an immediate and upcoming exit.

Also, don't worry, the colors are the normal yellow and green. Sun slightly distorts the color.

-- This was reposted from "The Worst of Road Signs" --

freebrickproductions

It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

Zeffy

Quote from: freebrickproductions on June 09, 2014, 01:51:42 PM
One that you don't see every day:

Left Lane Must Turn Left by freebrickproductions, on Flickr

I've seen quite a few of those in New Jersey, enough to qualify them as common.

Quote from: freebrickproductions on June 09, 2014, 01:51:42 PM

Highway to hell? by freebrickproductions, on Flickr

That's a variant of a US Highway shield that I've never seen... and there's a lot of variants too, we had a thread on it but I cannot seem to find it at all.
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

agentsteel53

is there something I'm missing on "LEFT LANE MUST TURN LEFT"?  I remember once someone photoshopped one to say "LEFT LANE MUST LEFT RIGHT" and posted it on Failblog or something similar... but this one looks to be standard.

the shield shape on the 72 - I've seen it in Alabama, Louisiana, Tennessee, Virginia, and Wisconsin.  it appears to have originated in Alabama.

live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

freebrickproductions

Quote from: agentsteel53 on June 09, 2014, 02:57:11 PM
is there something I'm missing on "LEFT LANE MUST TURN LEFT"?  I remember once someone photoshopped one to say "LEFT LANE MUST LEFT RIGHT" and posted it on Failblog or something similar... but this one looks to be standard.
It's the only one I know of in Huntsville. That's why I included it.
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

hbelkins

Maryland also has used a shield shape similar to Alabama's.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Scott5114

Isn't Left Lane Must Turn Left just the textual equivalent of the "[left arrow] ONLY" signs which are common pretty much everywhere?
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

hotdogPi

Quote from: Scott5114 on June 09, 2014, 06:31:27 PM
Isn't Left Lane Must Turn Left just the textual equivalent of the "[left arrow] ONLY" signs which are common pretty much everywhere?

I see the signs all the time. However, I usually don't see them with another sign on the other side.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

jakeroot

This is the first Clearview stop sign that I've ever seen:

It's located in Abbotsford, British Columbia.

vtk

Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

roadman

Quote from: Scott5114 on June 09, 2014, 06:31:27 PM
You are correct.  However, for many years, the MUTCD strongly frowned upon use of the "[left arrow] ONLY" (R3-5L) signs for ground-mounted installations, even if they were installed in medians and/or combined with other arrows on the sign (current R3-8 series).  As such, a very common application at an intersection with overhead signals and dedicated turn lanes would have a "Left Lane Must Turn Left" text sign (R3-7L) ground-mounted in advance of the intersection (usually at or just prior to the point of curvature where the turn lane begins), and a R3-5L text sign mounted on the mast arm or span wire above the turn lane at the intersection.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

jbnv

This one may be an oldie, but it definitely counts as "unique, odd or interesting."

🆕 Louisiana Highways on Twitter | Yes, I like Clearview. Deal with it. | Redos: US | La. | Route Challenge

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.