Unique, Odd, or Interesting Signs aka The good, the bad, and the ugly

Started by mass_citizen, December 04, 2013, 10:46:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jbnv

An oddity in the United States: Street signs in French. (Lafayette, LA)

🆕 Louisiana Highways on Twitter | Yes, I like Clearview. Deal with it. | Redos: US | La. | Route Challenge

Alex4897

Quote from: jake on June 10, 2014, 03:31:13 AM
This is the first Clearview stop sign that I've ever seen:

It's located in Abbotsford, British Columbia.

Oh gosh, please don't let that spread to the US.
👉😎👉

Revive 755

Quote from: jake on May 04, 2014, 02:53:24 PM
I only started paying attention to signs about a year ago, but I too have only seen this sign in Canada. There is a sort of half-symbol-half-text no turn on red sign a number of blocks south at the off-ramp from I-5 North but this is the only American symbol-only no turn on red that I have ever seen.

The half symbol no turn on red sign is fairly common in Missouri.  IIRC there's also one somewhere around Kenosha, WI.

Brandon

Quote from: Alex4897 on June 15, 2014, 12:17:21 PM

They have, I've seen them.

Now, for the best looking stop signs out there, I prefer Michigan's custom font.

https://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ll=42.361655,-83.275274&spn=0.002259,0.005284&t=h&z=18&layer=c&cbll=42.361655,-83.275274&panoid=5HcemoS5yqYNmaa7eD7r2A&cbp=12,325.34,,2,-0.32

The "S" has the same curvature on both the top and bottom parts, unlike FHWA which is smaller on top.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

ctsignguy

I liked Ohio's old-style STOPs....you could see THAT message from quite the distance away!

http://s166.photobucket.com/albums/u102/ctsignguy/<br /><br />Maintaining an interest in Fine Highway Signs since 1958....

iowahighways

One for the "wordy signs" category from downtown Davenport, IA:

The Iowa Highways Page: Now exclusively at www.iowahighways.org
The Iowa Highways Photo Gallery: www.flickr.com/photos/iowahighways/

hotdogPi

Quote from: iowahighways on June 19, 2014, 08:41:38 PM
One for the "wordy signs" category from downtown Davenport, IA:

At least that's supposed to be read while you are not moving. A sign with this much text that is meant to be read at 30+ miles per hour would not work.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

hbelkins

Block Face -- sounds like an insult of one's appearance.  :-D

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Alex4897

I walked past this on a college tour today and it caught my eye.  It's interesting for a couple reasons: the compact DE 273 shields, and the twice out-of-date DE 2 shields.

I guess Delaware used to use circular shields for 3-digit routes a while ago, based on photos I've seen.  This is the only one still in use that I've come across though.

The DE 2 shields are leftover from when the route used to cut through Newark on Main St. and Delaware Ave.  DelDOT (or Newark, whoever's in charge of that) did a really poor job at updating the shields when DE 2 was routed around town and Business 2 was assigned through town, then they did an equally poor job at removing the shields when Business 2 was deleted last summer.  There's DE 2 shields all through downtown Newark, so I wouldn't have posted anything about it in this thread had it not been for those old DE 273 shields.

(I wasn't sure where to post this sign, it kinda qualifies for a few different threads)
👉😎👉

route56

Here's a sign.... but where's the signpost?

48963 by richiekennedy56, on Flickr

From the "You had one (temporary) job" department:

48843 by richiekennedy56, on Flickr
Peace to you, and... don't drive like my brother.

R.P.K.

xcellntbuy

Quote from: Brandon on June 18, 2014, 03:21:24 PM
Quote from: Alex4897 on June 15, 2014, 12:17:21 PM

They have, I've seen them.

Now, for the best looking stop signs out there, I prefer Michigan's custom font.

https://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ll=42.361655,-83.275274&spn=0.002259,0.005284&t=h&z=18&layer=c&cbll=42.361655,-83.275274&panoid=5HcemoS5yqYNmaa7eD7r2A&cbp=12,325.34,,2,-0.32

The "S" has the same curvature on both the top and bottom parts, unlike FHWA which is smaller on top.
That font on the stop sign used to be seen often in the New England states many years ago.

Pete from Boston

Kniwt

Found this new-ish one today at the junction of NT 1 and NT 3. Canada's most northerly exit sign? It's so cute when the kids get together and play Make-Believe Freeway. But it's designed so well!

thenetwork

Quote from: Pete from Boston on June 22, 2014, 08:41:28 PM
Orange, Mass:

That is the first time I have ever seen a city have TWO separate Main Streets which cross each other!

Thing 342

Quote from: Kniwt on June 23, 2014, 11:07:50 PM
Found this new-ish one today at the junction of NT 1 and NT 3. Canada's most northerly exit sign? It's so cute when the kids get together and play Make-Believe Freeway. But it's designed so well!

NWT's route marker is far too small to be legible on a BGS (or, in this case, a LBS)

english si

But in the Arctic, roads are known by names, not number. Yellowknife is going to be more useful as NWT3 is the Yellowknife Highway.

Note that (paper) mapping agencies put these names fairly prominently on the maps.

Pete from Boston

Quote from: thenetwork on June 23, 2014, 11:20:16 PM
Orange, Mass:

That is the first time I have ever seen a city have TWO separate Main Streets which cross each other!

This was an added bonus.  I first went back for the picture for the traffic-light-mounted street sign, only later discovering it was at the intersection of four Main Streets.

JakeFromNewEngland

This is one of the interesting signs in my city. In a way, the Derby/Waterbury sign makes sense because the road it's on eventually leads to CT 121 which provides connections to both cities via CT 34 and CT 8. I'm surprised the city hasn't replaced it because it's been there for awhile I would assume.

Brandon

"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

mass_citizen

lol. nice find. "this way" should at least be in all caps!

mrsman

Quote from: Pete from Boston on June 24, 2014, 07:06:58 PM

Orange, Mass:

This was an added bonus.  I first went back for the picture for the traffic-light-mounted street sign, only later discovering it was at the intersection of four Main Streets.

Four Main Streets, it makes Atlanta's Peachtree system seem sensible in comparison.

WichitaRoads

Quote from: mrsman on June 27, 2014, 01:56:23 PM

Orange, Mass:

Four Main Streets, it makes Atlanta's Peachtree system seem sensible in comparison.

How old is the image? If you look at Google images, the signs are not there... but, it was last updated in 2009.

ICTRds

jakeroot

Quote from: WichitaRoads on June 27, 2014, 02:30:08 PM
Quote from: mrsman on June 27, 2014, 01:56:23 PM

Orange, Mass:

How old is the image? If you look at Google images, the signs are not there... but, it was last updated in 2009.

ICTRds

Google Street view circa 2008 does not show it, however, imagery from 2011 does. It's likely a new addition to the signal.

Billy F 1988

The remnant of what US 10 was back in the day. The shield is still there in its glory, of which it was painted on this Milwaukee Road underpass bridge. When the Milwaukee Road was decomissioned in 1980, the bridge was removed along with the trackage, however the supporting structure is still there.
Finally upgraded to Expressway after, what, seven or so years on this forum? Took a dadgum while, but, I made it!

route56

Peace to you, and... don't drive like my brother.

R.P.K.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.