News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Biggest claim to fame: control city.

Started by Pete from Boston, March 03, 2014, 03:55:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pete from Boston

The mention of Effingham, Ill. – a place I only know as the nexus of I-70 and I-57 – made me think about places that have probably taken a bigger recognition boost from being a control city than from anything else.

Brewster, N.Y., is the one that comes to my mind first.  For decades I figured Brewster to be an important something-or-other given the amount its name features on signs.  Then my car broke down there, and it turned out to be tiny town with a half-vacant little commercial strip.  It'd be all but forgotten but for the BGS publicity (and yet, look where that publicity's gotten it...).

What other places are there that get way more exposure as a control city than for anything else?

NE2

Remember as always that a control city is the bottom line on a distance sign. Anything else is a supplemental destination.
http://mutcd.fhwa.dot.gov/htm/2009/part2/part2e.htm#section2E13
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

pianocello

Davenport, IA -> Valparaiso, IN -> Ames, IA -> Orlando, FL -> Gainesville, FL -> Evansville, IN

agentsteel53

live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Pete from Boston

Quote from: NE2 on March 03, 2014, 04:01:17 PM
Remember as always that a control city is the bottom line on a distance sign. Anything else is a supplemental destination.
http://mutcd.fhwa.dot.gov/htm/2009/part2/part2e.htm#section2E13

Well, whichever is the proper term, there are plenty of signs reading

[684 emblem]
          Brewster

Brandon

Quote from: Pete from Boston on March 03, 2014, 03:55:49 PM
The mention of Effingham, Ill. – a place I only know as the nexus of I-70 and I-57 – made me think about places that have probably taken a bigger recognition boost from being a control city than from anything else.

What other places are there that get way more exposure as a control city than for anything else?

Effingham is a city of over 12,000 at that junction, as well as the Effingham County county seat.  And it's only a secondary control to IDOT, at the same level as East St Louis and Terre Haute.  I-70's primary controls are Indianapolis and St Louis.  I-57 is likewise.  The secondary controls are Chicago, Kankakee, Champaign-Urbana, Effingham, Mt Vernon, Cairo, and Sikeston.  The primary controls are Chicago and Memphis

If there is a municipality in Illinois that is purely a primary control city and nothing more, it's Hennepin.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

hobsini2

Albert Lea MN and Tomah WI come to mind.
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

Alps

Mahwah for I-287
Delaware Water Gap for I-80 NJ
Any control city on I-80 in PA, pretty much

formulanone

Lake City, Florida - just because it's a few miles southeast of the intersection between I-10 and I-75.

Zeffy

Quote from: Alps on March 03, 2014, 07:14:36 PM
Mahwah for I-287

I don't know when it was changed, but I could swear that signs on I-287 listed 'Zarephath' on the Exit 12 BGS. However, Google Maps isn't showing it anymore, since the images are from 2013 (wow!), but having been up and down I-287 most of my childhood, I know I saw Zarephath on either a BGS for Exit 12 or maybe on the off ramp. The latter being irrelevant to this topic, since it's just a destination.
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

golden eagle

McComb, MS.

In regards to Effingham, maybe it's a control city due to being at the interchange of two interstates. Even with that in mind, Memphis and Chicago are still the primary control cities on I-57.

tdindy88

texaskdog

Quote from: hobsini2 on March 03, 2014, 07:08:51 PM
Albert Lea MN and Tomah WI come to mind.

Hey Tomah is a happening place

roadman65

Ewing, NJ on I-295
Pennsville, NJ also on I-295
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

hbelkins

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

roadman65

Sheryl Crowe

Thing 342

thenetwork

Green River, UT.

I think their biggest claim to fame is Watermelons...And the last services for 106+ miles on I-70 West.

1995hoo

Norwood, Maryland. Even the people who live there hadn't heard of it until it appeared on a BGS.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Pete from Boston

For the record, I have no idea if Effingham is a control city.  I just know it's where the intersection is.

Brandon

Quote from: Pete from Boston on March 03, 2014, 11:16:54 PM
For the record, I have no idea if Effingham is a control city.  I just know it's where the intersection is.

As I said, it's a secondary control city for IDOT, not a primary control city.  IDOT uses two levels of control cities: one for most interchanges, and one for major interchanges.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

roadman65

Quote from: Brandon on March 04, 2014, 09:59:39 AM

As I said, it's a secondary control city for IDOT, not a primary control city.  IDOT uses two levels of control cities: one for most interchanges, and one for major interchanges.
Why is Rockford used then for I-90 heading west out of Chicago and not Madison?  I see the Effingham thing on I-57 used on non freeway SB signs from Champain southward, but Memphis used at all the major interstates.  So it depends there where you are to see what is used for control cities along I-57.

Sheryl Crowe

Brandon

Quote from: roadman65 on March 04, 2014, 11:02:43 AM
Quote from: Brandon on March 04, 2014, 09:59:39 AM

Why is Rockford used then for I-90 heading west out of Chicago and not Madison?  I see the Effingham thing on I-57 used on non freeway SB signs from Champain southward, but Memphis used at all the major interstates.  So it depends there where you are to see what is used for control cities along I-57.

Rockford is used as it is the third largest city in the state (formerly second largest)  North of Rockford, the control is Madison.  I-74 is likewise with Peoria.  Outside Chicago, Rockford and Peoria were historically the largest cities in the state.

Yes, it depends on what interchange you are at for most IDOT freeways.  If you get on at Mattoon (IL-16), it's Champaign-Urbana and Effingham.  If you get on from a freeway (say, I-70), it's Chicago and Memphis.  Primary versus secondary control cities.

The one major exception to the rule in Illinois is I-72.  There, the controls are:
I-72 EB:
Quincy, Jacksonville, Springfield, Decatur, Champaign-Urbana
I-72 WB:
Decatur, Springfield, Jacksonville, Hannibal
That's due to it having been an intrastate interstate at one point.

I-39 is similar, but the controls are more consistent than I-72.

bing101

San Pedro (I-110 South) Harbor Freeway to the port of Los Angeles since its a district. US-101 and CA-110 North from Downtown LA would have Hollywood district. And the West of of I-8 in San Diego will have the control city of Beaches.

PHLBOS

1 SOUTH Lima ramp signage at I-476 interchange

For those unfamiliar with the area; Lima, PA isn't even a town per say but rather a section of Middletown Twp., Delaware County.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.