Businesses that are defunct that you are pissed about closing

Started by roadman65, February 13, 2015, 01:40:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman65

Over the years we have had many stores, restaurants, and other service related businesses close their doors for some reason or another.  Some we liked so much that it disturbed us greatly that the owners or the hierarchy of the business decided to close, downsize, or close in your state.  Which ones do you all miss and think that they should have never closed?

I personally miss Bennigans and Steak & Ale Restaurants.  They were not only icons, but they had a nice menu and good food to enjoy and were once part of Pillsbury.

Then Jack In The Box has me upset that on the East Coast they closed their stores, but in Texas they are practically on every street corner.  I loved their tacos and their sides.

Pizza Hut too is not a wide spread as they once were.  In Houma, LA they closed all the locations there, and in Florida I have seen many go, with mostly carry out stores only remaining.  I think only two or three eat in stores remain.

Service Merchandise is another store I liked to shop at that I miss tremendously, as they had nice stereo equipment.  However some here may argue that stereos went out in the 80's as people download music now, but I guess you can say I miss the old stereo components.

Oh yeah, add Technics brand of electronics to the list as I am somewhat upset that they stopped making.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Brian556

Quote from Roadman65:
QuoteOver the years we have had many stores, restaurants, and other service related businesses close their doors for some reason or another.  Some we liked so much that it disturbed us greatly that the owners or the hierarchy of the business decided to close, downsize, or close in your state.  Which ones do you all miss and think that they should have never closed?

I personally miss Bennigans and Steak & Ale Restaurants.  They were not only icons, but they had a nice menu and good food to enjoy and were once part of Pillsbury.

Then Jack In The Box has me upset that on the East Coast they closed their stores, but in Texas they are practically on every street corner.  I loved their tacos and their sides.

Pizza Hut too is not a wide spread as they once were.  In Houma, LA they closed all the locations there, and in Florida I have seen many go, with mostly carry out stores only remaining.  I think only two or three eat in stores remain.

Service Merchandise is another store I liked to shop at that I miss tremendously, as they had nice stereo equipment.  However some here may argue that stereos went out in the 80's as people download music now, but I guess you can say I miss the old stereo components.

Oh yeah, add Technics brand of electronics to the list as I am somewhat upset that they stopped making

I remember Service Merchandise. My father took me there frequently. The Jack-In-The-Box closest to me closed for no good reason, it was very busy. I like their tacos and curly fries. Their burgers give me the runs.

Pizza Hut wasn't the best pizza. It was often delivered cold.

The businesses I wish were still around is cafeterias. They were a good place to get a proper meal that was very much like home cooked, without waiting 30 minutes for it to be prepared. Now, no such place exists. Because I'm single, and have no woman to cook for me, I fell that cafeterias would be very beneficial to me, if they were still around.

kkt

Printer's Inc books in Palo Alto, CA.  The first place I ever drew a paycheck.

Cody's Books in Berkeley, a great store for new books.  Some of you might remember fortune files on Unix systems that would print a brief randomly-selected joke on your screen.  One of them was "God is not dead!  He's alive and well and autographing Bibles at Cody's."  But Cody's closed in 2008.

1995hoo

Fischer's Hardware in Springfield, Virginia. It used to be independent. They had been open for 60 years and were known locally as "that hardware store that has everything," including lots of stuff you'd never find anywhere else. More importantly, you could buy small quantities of things like nails and screws. They closed two or three years ago while locked in litigation with Ace. I don't know the whole story, but the gist of it, from what I understand, is that the Fischers sold the store to someone who bought it and then joined the Ace Cooperative based on assurances from Ace about various things. The store promptly went downhill and the new owners were sued by Ace for not paying some sort of dues or something; they counterclaimed based on allegations of fraud. The store went into bankruptcy reorganization and their lender ordered them to close during the process. I believe they won some sort of victory over Ace, but I don't know the details, and their former space will become an Aldi grocery store that's opening next Friday.

An auto-parts chain I liked was Trak Auto. Their stores were cleaner and better-organized than Advance or Pep Boys, but they met their demise during the course of the various Haft family squabbles. I believe they were affiliated somehow with Crown Books.

Roy Rogers fast-food restaurants are still operating; I'm aware of three relatively close to where I live and at least two others in the DC area. But I was always disappointed the chain as a whole disappeared. Always liked them better than most of the other fast-food places, in part due to the "Fixin's Bar" concept because it meant you didn't have to "special order" (and wait all day) if you didn't want all the pre-designated schmeck on your burger because the burger came plain (excepting bacon and cheese if appropriate) and you then put what you wanted on it.

There are lots of Pizza Huts around here, so maybe their closure is a regional thing. That's not unusual. When I was in college, Safeway pulled out of the Central Virginia market, but they're still going strong in many other places.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: roadman65 on February 13, 2015, 01:40:26 PM
Bennigans

There was one item we always got there:  Broccoli Bites.  There's one franchised location near me still open that has broccoli bites on the menu, but they're from a different supplier and taste more like the cheap ones you can get at many local pizzerias.

Another place we miss:  Chi-Chi's.

golden eagle

Over the years we have had many stores, restaurants, and other service related businesses close their doors for some reason or another.  Some we liked so much that it disturbed us greatly that the owners or the hierarchy of the business decided to close, downsize, or close in your state.  Which ones do you all miss and think that they should have never closed?

Oh yeah, add Technics brand of electronics to the list as I am somewhat upset that they stopped making.

We had a Bennigan's here. In fact, about three traffic lights from where I live. It later became a Hooters (which I haven't eaten at, though I've been to other Hooters locales). There was also a Steak & Ale, but it closed many years ago. In fact, it became a Perkins Family Restaurant, and that building was torn down to make way for a Fuddruckers/Luby's combo that's opening next week.

Pizza Hut is still widespread here. Never had a JacK In the Box, and don't really care to have one here. Closest ones here are in Baton Rouge.

I loved Service Merchandise. I used to buy headphone radios from there since they were reasonably priced.

dcbjms

A few - Borders, Royal Discount Booksellers, and that's for starters.

slorydn1

For me it would be Dominick's, a former grocery store chain in Illinois. I was saddened to hear that they went out of business late in 2013. My first job was as a bagger at store #117 at 580 S. Roselle Rd in Schaumburg, IL.

That particular location had an interesting history of its own-it was a Kohl's grocery store first, with the arched roof design. When Kohl's pulled out of Illinois Eagle took it over, and then Dominick's took the store over when Eagle bowed out.

From what I understand that after I left the Chicago area in '91 the old man died, and the rest of the family just didn't want to put up with running the company. So they sold out to Safeway who kept the Dominick's name in place, but tried to force it's California style on its Chicago clientele and ran the company into the ground.
Please Note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of any governmental agency, non-governmental agency, quasi-governmental agency or wanna be governmental agency

Counties: Counties Visited

Pete from Boston

Very few chains go under that are worth missing.  Here it's the local businesses that tank steadily because rents are so damn high.  We hardly have any plain old neighborhood bars anymore in this area–everything has to have a carefully marketed concept.  Even the famous Irish pubs of Boston are increasingly shiny redone places pushing upscale dinner menus.  Forget about pool tables, and most live music–both eat up too much floor area to cover their share of the rent.

Coffee shops fall like flies, too, yet people keep opening them.

And of course, there are the once-numerous record stores of Harvard Square, Newbury Street, and Kenmore Square, done in by their own shrinking market and waves of pricier stores.   

Hardware stores, though that trend seems to have at least stabilized.

Smaller movie theaters keep failing, too, making going to first-runs ever more of an ordeal.

vdeane

Krispy Kreme.  While they still exist, they are significantly smaller than they were.  They used to be everywhere in upstate NY, but now their locations in NY are reduced to a single store in Manhattan.  Pretty much the only time I get to go to one is if I'm passing through Scranton for some reason.

It still feels weird to have Chase Pitkin (hardware store owned/operated by Wegmans) be gone.

I still feel sad that Fisherman's Wharf (motel in Alexandria Bay, NY) is gone.  My family used to go there every year when I was young.  Lots of memories.  It was demolished a few years ago so that luxury condos that are WAY too tall for the aesthetics of the harbor could be put in.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

golden eagle

jp the roadgeek

Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

on_wisconsin

"Speed does not kill, suddenly becoming stationary... that's what gets you" - Jeremy Clarkson

lordsutch

Fazoli's is pretty much gone south of Tennessee; not really sure why they have retrenched, since the one location I do semi-regularly pass by (in Valdosta) is usually quite busy when I inevitably stop in to and from Florida.

Not sure I really miss many of the retailers that have disappeared, although I certainly did spend an absurd amount of money at Borders back in the day.

DeaconG

There's a Bennigan's on International Drive just off the Beachline exit.

Agree with Service Merchandise-a good third of my original stereo system (first set of speakers, turntable, equalizer and CD changer) was bought from there, as well as several pieces of flatware and glassware; they along with Sam Solomon were my go-to spots for shopping. I still have my changer in the closet!

Also agree about Technics, that was one hell of a brand that Panasonic built and then they just capitulated...I have no idea why.
Dawnstar: "You're an ape! And you can talk!"
King Solovar: "And you're a human with wings! Reality holds surprises for everyone!"
-Crisis On Infinite Earths #2

Pete from Boston

Krispy Kreme opened here in about 2003.  Lines formed that required police details.  In six months, people realized "They're just doughnuts" and after a year they started to close.

I didn't see the appeal.  My image of KK will always be a sweltering late night in Pensacola twenty years ago, where grease and flies vied for airspace, and people too burnt out to wash sought solace in the only thing oilier than them.

(Dunkin' can suck it, too, lest anyone make this into part of that rivalry.)

Pete from Boston

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on February 13, 2015, 10:18:01 PM
Caldor and Ames

In 1997, the Boston area had the department retailers

Caldor
Ames
Bradlees
Ann & Hope
Lechmere

and neither Target nor Wal-Mart.

Now we have Target and Wal-Mart, and none of the others.

Somehow, we kept Kmart the whole time.  Oblivion wouldn't accept it, despite our pleas.

Road Hog

Otasco. Before they went bankrupt I was still in school and drove every hoopty possible, and they did good, inexpensive mechanical repair. The store I frequented did good business and I was stunned when they closed.

vtk

Quote from: Brian556 on February 13, 2015, 01:47:12 PM
The businesses I wish were still around is cafeterias. They were a good place to get a proper meal that was very much like home cooked, without waiting 30 minutes for it to be prepared. Now, no such place exists. Because I'm single, and have no woman to cook for me can't be bothered to cook for myself, I fell that cafeterias would be very beneficial to me, if they were still around.

That was a thing? If it was like the dining halls at OSU, that would be cool.

PS– if you had a woman, she might not be cool with your assumption that she'll cook for you.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

Pete from Boston

Quote from: vtk on February 14, 2015, 01:35:48 AM
The businesses I wish were still around is cafeterias. They were a good place to get a proper meal that was very much like home cooked, without waiting 30 minutes for it to be prepared. Now, no such place exists. Because I'm single, and have no woman to cook for me can't be bothered to cook for myself, I fell that cafeterias would be very beneficial to me, if they were still around.

PS– if you had a woman, she might not be cool with your assumption that she'll cook for you.

I remember briefly working in Downtown Boston in 1999, and eating at a fantastic place full of Big Dig and office workers lunching called Carl's Deli.  I can't remember if it had a deli at all, but it had a steam table setup with trays and everything.  Daily meals might include beans and kielbasa, various stews, macaronis, spaghetti... but only a few a day.  The place was covered in light paneling and some framed old Boston photos and articles.  It was cheap and amazing, and not just in hindsight. 

It turned the corner to fresh-food-wrap cafe by the mid-200Xs, about when the Big Dig construction city cleared out.  The Home Depot next to the Big Dig stopped being 24 hours at about the same time, and soon after that one of the two 24-hour diners in the thick of it (Blue Diner, next to the South Street Diner) closed.  It was the end of a mini-economy.

apjung

ZLoth

You liked Jack In The Box tacos? Ug. I've had much better tacos elsewhere.

Two chains that I miss that aren't defunct, but have drastically scaled back operations and are no longer operating in my area to my knowledge include Rax Roast Beef and Golden Corral.

Places that are known defunct are:
  • Local Internet Service Providers in general. There was excellent competition during the age of dial-up Internet, but high-speed Internet killed 'em all.
  • Manteca Waterslides at Oakwood Lake (Closed 2004)
  • Sam's Town in Cameron Park, CA (closed 2001)
  • The Mineshaft Minature Golf Course in Rancho Cordova, CA. Although, for the Mineshaft, it was cool at the beginning, but then the owners let the place and the equipment run down.
  • Marvac Electronics in Sacramento, CA on Del Paso Blvd. (closed November 28th, 2002). Especially going up to a second-floor room where all the "antiques" were.
  • Ice Skating Rink and nearby arcade at Birdcage Walk in Citrus Heights. The skating rink turned into a REI store, but now is a parking lot.
  • OK, neighborhood arcades in general
  • Crestview Lanes, Cordova Lanes, and Birdcage Lanes - all bowling alleys. Birdcage and Cordova closed around 2000, Crestview closed in August, 2010. League bowling just became too expensive.

I'm an Engineer. That means I solve problems. Not problems like "What is beauty?", because that would fall within the purview of your conundrums of philosophy. I solve practical problems and call them "paychecks".

DandyDan

Quote from: lordsutch on February 13, 2015, 11:02:12 PM
Not sure I really miss many of the retailers that have disappeared, although I certainly did spend an absurd amount of money at Borders back in the day.
Borders is my number 1 business I wished was still open.  They always had a much better selection than Barnes and Noble. 
MORE FUN THAN HUMANLY THOUGHT POSSIBLE

6a

Quote from: vtk on February 14, 2015, 01:35:48 AM

Yep, MCL is still around.  There's one at Kingsdale, lovingly referred to by my family as 'MediCare Lounge.'

jeffandnicole

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on February 13, 2015, 10:18:01 PM
Caldor and Ames

Caldors was one of my favorite stores.  I still remember when they closed down...and for several years after, the shopping center it was in basically remained empty.  Many locals always blame the closing on the local town, area, etc, as if they are completely oblivious to the fact that Caldors went out of business nationwide.  I'm sure the local store didn't affect the company *that* much!  (This is pretty much true when any store shuts down chainwide - people blame their local area for it, failing to account for the rest of the company's closings)

Quotebowling alleys
My first job was at a bowling alley, and I held that job for 5 years between two places.  The first one didn't have a liquor license, and the 2nd one did.  The opinions of the 1st one were funny...some people liked the fact that there was no beer sold there and it was a family place; others like they fact that you could bring in your own beer and didn't have to pay the higher prices bowling alleys typically charged!

It is now closed, and is a fitness gym now. 

The 2nd one is still going strong, although with different owners from when I worked there. 

(Insert cute Valentine's Day story here): That location is where I met my wife. Plenty of good times there. 

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.