Closest stretches of road you have NOT clinched

Started by NWI_Irish96, September 28, 2016, 01:52:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rothman

Quote from: 1 on September 29, 2016, 09:58:27 AM
I'll add more categories:

Closest Interstate I have traveled none of: I-190

I like this one.  Here are mine, within 1,000 miles of my home.  I reserve the right to make mistakes...

I-781: 196 miles.
I-540 or I-495, NC: 648 miles. (tie)
I-840, NC (eastern segment): 682 miles
I-295, NC: 688 miles.
I-277: 776 miles.
I-190, IL: 818 miles.
I-88, IL: 821 miles.
I-585: 843 miles.
I-41: 856 miles.  (I've been on I-43 and I-94, but don't consider I-41 clinched since I haven't been on it since it has been signed)
I-385: 865 miles.
I-185 or I-126: 871 miles. (tie)
I-180 (IL): 888 miles.
I-72: 900 miles.
I-526: 904 miles.
I-520: 920 miles.
I-155: 936 miles.
I-474 or I-280 (IL/IA): 939 miles. (tie)
I-516: 956 miles.
I-16: 958 miles.
I-985: 967 miles.
I-840, TN: 992 miles.
I-575, GA: 993 miles.
I-285: 999 miles.

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

jp the roadgeek

Interstates within 500 miles I've never traveled

2di's: I-86 (200 miles), I-99 (293 miles), I-68 (373 miles), I-79 (446 miles), I-85 (470 miles)

3di's
CT: None
RI/MA: I-195 (95 miles)
VT: I-189 (255 miles)
NH: I-393 (172 miles)
ME: Unsigned I-495 (223 miles), I-395 (348 miles)

NY: I-895 (91 miles), I-478 (108 miles), I-587 (113 miles),  I-890 (125 miles), I-790 (204 miles), I-481 (256 miles), I-690 (260 miles), I-781 (292 miles), I-390 (316 miles), I-490 (340 miles), I-590 (350 miles)

NJ: I-280 (111 miles)
PA: I-380 (168 miles), I-180 (254 miles), I-283 (275 miles), I-376 (439 miles), I-279/I-579 (tie at 459 miles)
DE: None
MD: I-295 (331 miles), I-270 SPUR (332 miles)
DC: None
VA: I-295 (438 miles), I-195 (443 miles), I-564 (467 miles), I-464 (470 miles), I-664 (475 miles)

Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

TheStranger

Closest Interstate I have traveled none of: future I-905 if that counts, otherwise I-105 in Oregon
Closest 2di I have yet to go on: I-84 in Portland
Closest stretch of Interstate in either direction: I-210 east of Route 39
Closest 2di I have yet to travel on: I-15 between Ontario and Temecula
Closest exit I have yet to traverse on: Spencer Avenue off of US 101 (Exit 443) in Marin County
Closest town I have never entered: either Portola Valley or La Honda
Closest state route I have yet to drive on: Route 77 (42nd Avenue) in East Oakland
Closest stretch of US route I have not traveled on: US 101 north of Ukiah
Chris Sampang

roadman

Closest 2di I've never traveled on is I-83 (PA) - 424 miles from my house
Closest 3di I've never traveled on is I-691 (CT) - 129 miles from my house
Closest US Route I've never traveled on is US 209 (NY) - 211 miles from my house
Closest state route I've never traveled on is ME 9A - 71.5 miles from my house
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

cl94

Closest Interstate I haven't clinched is I-781 for the reasons listed by Rothman. Middle of flipping nowhere and no reason to ever be up there.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

cpzilliacus

Quote from: roadman on September 30, 2016, 01:13:18 PM

You are not missing much by not having driven I-83, at least north of the Maryland/Pennsylvania border. There's construction getting started on the segment between I-81 and I-283 north (east) of Harrisburg, and the segment between the Maryland border and the I-283 interchange is mostly PennDOT-bad with a narrow right shoulder (sometimes no right shoulder at all) and absolutely no left shoulder, though there is some construction around York that will presumably make it less bad, and (as I have stated in these forums before), the Dead Man's Curve south of York (at the southern terminus of Business I-83) was remediated some years ago - after decades of crashes.

I-83 in Maryland is two distinct sections - north of I-695 it is mostly a fairly typical rural Maryland freeway, south of the overlap with I-695 it's an urban freeway (the Jones Falls Expressway, JFX for short) with many curves and tight interchange ramps that comes to an end at an at-grade signalized intersection on the east side of downtown Baltimore (and within the city limits of Baltimore, one of the relatively few freeway-class roads outside of New York City that is maintained by the municipal government, not a state agency).
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

roadman

Quote from: cpzilliacus on September 30, 2016, 01:34:45 PM
Quote from: roadman on September 30, 2016, 01:13:18 PM

You are not missing much by not having driven I-83, at least north of the Maryland/Pennsylvania border. There's construction getting started on the segment between I-81 and I-283 north (east) of Harrisburg, and the segment between the Maryland border and the I-283 interchange is mostly PennDOT-bad with a narrow right shoulder (sometimes no right shoulder at all) and absolutely no left shoulder, though there is some construction around York that will presumably make it less bad, and (as I have stated in these forums before), the Dead Man's Curve south of York (at the southern terminus of Business I-83) was remediated some years ago - after decades of crashes.

Thanks for the info - sounds like I haven't missed much.  The interesting thing about not having driven on I-83 at all, let alone clinching it, is that Central and Western Pennsylvania is one of my favorite places to go on vacation.  Besides being a roadgeek, I enjoy railfanning and visiting historical sites and museums.  In my pursuit of all these interests, on various vacation trips beginning in 1990 and occurring about every two years on average, I've managed to travel on, and partially or totally clinch every Interstate and freeway in Pennsylvania EXCEPT for I-83.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

1995hoo

I like the new categories some of you have introduced. Tough stuff to figure out! I'll add some new ones of my own.

Closest 2di I have never been on at all: I'm pretty sure it's I-88 based on measuring distances with Google Maps. I-71 is further away from home. I would debate whether to count I-99. I've never been on there since it was numbered as an Interstate, but I was on the same road several times in the pre-Interstate era. I also find its number odious, but at the same time, it does have an Interstate number.

Closest 3di I have never been on at all: Already mentioned, I-795 in Maryland.

Interstates in my home state I have never been on at all: I-464 and I-564 near Norfolk and I-381 in Bristol.

Interstates in my home state I have yet to clinch in said state: The aforementioned three plus I-64 (need the westernmost 27 miles), I-77 (need the segment north of I-81), and I-195 (I have just over 1.4 miles left and will knock off most, but probably not all, of it on our Christmas trip down to Meadows of Dan).

Unclinched mainline US route in my home state I am closest to clinching in said state: Bizarrely, US-13 at 86%. I've only been up Virginia's Eastern Shore one time, back during high school, but I knocked off most of the Virginia portion of said route on that trip. US-17 is a close second at 82%. The Norfolk area is what will almost certainly keep me from getting 100% of the Virginia mileage on those two routes.

Regarding I-83, I will perhaps disagree slightly with cpzilliacus about it not being much of a miss because of one aspect of the road. On the whole, I agree with everything he says, but a few years ago when I knocked off the final segment of that road I had yet to get inside the Baltimore Beltway, I found said segment to be a fairly interesting drive. Not for the road itself, however, but rather because I never realized Baltimore was so hilly or that the road ran through what might almost be termed a bit of what felt like a slight gorge. (No doubt the fact that it was February and there was a fair amount of snow on the hills made it look more impressive than it really is.) It was totally different from any sort of scenery I ever expected to see in that part of Maryland. Any trips I ever took to old Memorial Stadium were through the city streets, never via I-83.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Eth

Quote from: 1 on September 29, 2016, 09:58:27 AM
I'll add more categories:

Closest stretch of Interstate in either direction: Not sure, since I don't keep track at that level of detail, but my best guess would be part of northbound I-985 near Gainesville (~40 miles away).

Closest exit: I don't think I've ever had occasion to use exit 40 on I-285 (3 miles away). If it's not that, it's I-20's exit 66 (~5 miles).

Closest freeway of any type: The freeway portion of Sugarloaf Pkwy in Lawrenceville (21 miles). Closest state-maintained would be the southwest part of the Athens perimeter (49 miles).

Closest town not set foot in: Clarkston (~3 miles)

Closest town never in at all: Pine Lake (5 miles)

Closest 3di: I-124, if it still exists (105 miles). Otherwise I-385 (133 miles), just barely beating out I-459 (136 miles).

Closest numbered state border crossing: A rough tie between US 78's and GA 166's crossings into Alabama (both 61 miles).

Closest Interstate I have traveled none of: I-124 or I-385 (see above)

Closest US route I have traveled none of: US 378 (91 miles)

Closes state route I have traveled none of: GA 3 Connector in Marietta (17 miles). Closest mainline route is GA 360 (19 miles).

Quote from: 1995hoo on September 30, 2016, 07:00:02 PM
I'll add some new ones of my own.

Closest 2di I have never been on at all: I-22 (146 miles)

Closest 3di I have never been on at all: see above

Interstates in my home state I have never been on at all: None.

Interstates in my home state I have yet to clinch in said state: None. In my previous home state, Maryland, I'm missing just the half-mile or so of I-70 between I-68 and the Pennsylvania line.

Unclinched mainline US route in my home state I am closest to clinching in said state: By raw mileage, it's actually US 378 - I haven't been on it at all, but Georgia's segment is only a little over 20 miles. By percentage, probably US 78 (clinched from Temple to Lexington).

pianocello

Ok, this is fun to think about. I'll use 1's categories for my two homes (Davenport/Valpo):

Closest stretch of Interstate in either direction: I-39 north of Mendota (no change)/I-94 Southbound on the Bishop Ford Freeway

Closest exit: I-80 exit 280 Iowa (Stockton)/I-65 exit 255 (61st St/Merrillville)

Closest exit that I didn't turn around immediately afterwards: Same deal

Closest freeway of any type: parts of US 34 north of Galesburg/parts of IL 394

Closest town not set foot in: Probably Donahue/Union Mills

Closest town never in at all: Buffalo Prairie, IL/Kouts

Closest 2di never traveled on at all: I-29 for both

Closest 3di never traveled on at all: I-794 Milwaukee for both

Closest numbered state border crossing: US 34 IA-IL/IN-39 and M-239

Closest year-round public transportation: N/A. I haven't used either Davenport's or Valpo's bus systems.

Closest Interstate I have traveled none of: I-794 for both

Closest US route I have traveled none of: US 63/US 141

Closes state route I have traveled none of: IA 70/IN SR-39
Davenport, IA -> Valparaiso, IN -> Ames, IA -> Orlando, FL -> Gainesville, FL -> Evansville, IN

doorknob60

Quote from: Rothman on September 30, 2016, 08:27:58 AM
Quote from: doorknob60 on September 29, 2016, 04:09:12 PM
Interstate: I-84: I can see it from my balcony! Like, 0.5 miles away or so. For driving myself, I need everything east of Boise (exit 57)! (as a passenger, from I-15 to Echo, UT)

You haven't been on that stretch of I-84 that's a 1/2 mile from your balcony?  The original question was how far away the unclinched part was.

Makes sense, I guess. I interpreted it as "what is the closest highway to you that you have not clinched". I have not clinched I-84, and that highway is about a half mile from my house. However, the closest segment of I-84 that I have not clinched (by myself driving) is 12.3 miles away...still very pathetic. That same spot applies for US highways too (US-20, US-26, US-30). Might take a trip out to Twin Falls next weekend though, that would push that out quite a bit.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on September 29, 2016, 05:02:21 PM
I still don't understand the question.

The closest SEGMENT of each type of road you have not driven on.  Does not matter whether or not you have clinched the entire road.  I asked the question because I'm curious as to how far everyone's circle of full clinching expands.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

Bruce

Interstate: 82 between Yakima and Umatilla

US Route: 12 between Centralia and Yakima

State Route: WA 203 between Monroe and North Bend

flowmotion

Interstate: Short 1-exit section of I-580 in Carson City NV. Then, half of Los Angeles. (And, I've never driven to San Diego.)

US Route: Tough one, considering California's position on US routes. US-93 between Ely NV and Twin Falls ID? I really don't remember ever taking US-199, but might have done so like 20 years ago.

State: CA-33 where it parallels I-5 through very boring real estate. Also CA-84 on surface streets through Fremont, but that doesn't count.

dvferyance

Interstate it would be I-39 have not been on it between Portage and Stevens Point.
US Highway either US 18 or US 45 not sure which one is closer. I don't believe I have clinched any US highway.
State Highway would be WI-59 have not been on any of it west of Whitewater. Crossed it at WI-26 and I-39/90 and saw the west end in Monroe. Closest 2 digit interstate never been on would be I-57. Closest 3 digit interstate never been on likely I-196.

bassoon1986

Current location: Woodworth, LA (right in the center)

Interstate: I-49 at the newest opened section in north LA - 149 miles away
US Highway: US 190 between Eunice and Opelousas, LA - 49 miles
State Highway: LA 372 in Oakdale, LA - 23 miles away

Closest exit: I-49 exit 17 Louisiana (Judson Walsh Dr. in Opelousas) - 56 miles

Closest exit that I didn't turn around immediately afterwards: Same

Closest town not set foot in: Plaucheville, LA - 43 miles

Closest 2di never traveled on at all: I-69C north of Edinburgh, TX - 547 miles

Closest 3di never traveled on at all: I-269 in Memphis, TN - 427 miles

Closest numbered state border crossing: LA 191 (LA/TX) - 75 miles

cl94

At this point, the closest New York state route I haven't clinched is NY 7 SW of Cobleskill. I'll get that one of these days instead of taking I-88. For being close distance-wise, it feels far away.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

doorknob60

I have brand new answers.

Interstate: I-84 everywhere east of US-93/Twin Falls
US: US-20 everywhere east of Mountain Home, ID
SR: ID-69 from Deer Flat Rd. to southern terminus

Takumi

Interstate: the western half of the Capital Beltway
US: US 360 east of VA 156
State: VA 325 and 326
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

compdude787

Interstate: The closest 3di that I haven't clinched yet is I-705. The closest 2di that I haven't clinched is I-5 between WA 543 and the US/CA border. This is the only part of I-5 in Washington that I still need to clinch.
US highway: US 97 between SR 970 and I-90
State highway: SR 527 between 220th St SE and Maltby Road (SR 524).

cl94

Depending on when my seminar ends tomorrow afternoon, I might knock NY 7 off the list tomorrow. I plan to grab the rest of NY 8 and NY 28 this weekend, so if all of that is done, the closest stretch in this state would be NY 82.

Rothman

Quote from: cl94 on October 14, 2016, 12:43:13 AM
Depending on when my seminar ends tomorrow afternoon, I might knock NY 7 off the list tomorrow. I plan to grab the rest of NY 8 and NY 28 this weekend, so if all of that is done, the closest stretch in this state would be NY 82.

A lot of old-timers here keep saying that I-88 was unnecessary and NY 7 worked just fine.  That said, I doubt many of them still stubbornly use NY 7 when headed to Region 9!
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

mefailenglish

From Broward Co FL:

Interstate:  3di, either I-985 or I-575 in GA, whichever is closer.  2di, the newly-opened piece of I-22 between Coalburg Rd and I-65.  Beyond that, either I-71 between Louisville & Cincinnati, or I-45 in Texas, again, whichever is closer.

US Hwy:  US129 between Stockton GA and Ocilla GA, US 82 between Tifton and Waycross GA.

State:  Two stretches of FL 817, between Opa Locka and Pines Blvd, and another from Broward Blvd to the Sawgrass.  There are some other routes in Metro Broward and Miami-Dade that I'm missing but I don't really enjoy driving in urban traffic, particularly down here.  I'll wake up early one morning and pick 'em off then.

Buffaboy

Within 100 miles of Buffalo

I-79 in Erie PA
I-490
I-390 (north of Mount Morris)
I-86 west of I-390
What's not to like about highways and bridges, intersections and interchanges, rails and planes?

My Wikipedia county SVG maps: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Buffaboy

TheHighwayMan3561

Interstate: I-29 in eastern SD
US: US 12 between Cokato and Willmar, MN
State: MN 25 south of Montrose, MN
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.