News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

R9 in Charleroi, Belgium: one-way ring road

Started by Chris, September 21, 2018, 03:40:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris

R9 is a motorway / freeway in Charleroi, Belgium. It's a 5 km / 3 mi one-way loop around the city center.

Charleroi is notorious for being one of the most impoverished cities in Western Europe, due to the collapse of the steel industry in the 1960s and subsequent persistently high unemployment rates in the 20-30% range. Crime and political corruption is also noted.

R9 was built in 1974-1975 to distribute traffic around the city center. I filmed R9 earlier this month. It's an interesting loop, with most of it elevated. Signage is very substandard though, even by Belgian standards.

mgk920

There is a similar one-way ring set up in a major Japanese city (Osaka?), too.

Mike

Chris

webfil

Quote from: Chris on September 21, 2018, 03:40:34 PM
R9 is a motorway / freeway in Charleroi, Belgium. It's a 5 km / 3 mi one-way loop around the city center.

Charleroi is notorious for being one of the most impoverished cities in Western Europe, due to the collapse of the steel industry in the 1960s and subsequent persistently high unemployment rates in the 20-30% range. Crime and political corruption is also noted.

Thanks for this. I always found the little Charleroi to be "overbuilt" in terms of superinfrastructures; heavily-subsidized, low-cost oriented international airport, two ring roads with lots of expressways (and, judging by your video, nothing a grade-level thoroughfare wouldn't handle) and an white-elephant metro (40kpax/day) with many, many abandoned stations. Wallonie―Bruxelles seems to have a thing for concrete-and-steel dollars in this part of the nation.

Are the blacked-out signs backlit @0:40 and 3:10?
Were you waved at, or fingered by the Peugeot 107 driver @ 2:35? Anyways, that's... quite wallonic, to say the least.

MaxConcrete

Nice video. What is the canopy-style structure over the freeway under construction at 2:08?
www.DFWFreeways.com
www.HoustonFreeways.com

Chris

It's a structure that they have used for an extensive bridge rehabilitation programme. I'm not sure what it is used for exactly (I've never seen such a structure in the Netherlands), but they have rehabilitated the bridge deck extensively, almost to the point that it is a complete deck replacement. This was the last phase of a 5 year rehabilitation that has cost € 26 million.

DJStephens

webfil

Quote from: Chris on October 22, 2018, 10:23:32 AM
It's a structure that they have used for an extensive bridge rehabilitation programme. I'm not sure what it is used for exactly (I've never seen such a structure in the Netherlands), but they have rehabilitated the bridge deck extensively, almost to the point that it is a complete deck replacement. This was the last phase of a 5 year rehabilitation that has cost € 26 million.
To me, it looks like a lattice truss structure where both walls and roof support the deck. We have many wooden examples in Québec.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.