News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

What do you do when a scam operation calls you?

Started by kphoger, March 13, 2019, 01:56:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What do you do when a scam operation calls you?  Choose as many as apply.

My phone alerts me that they're scammers, so I never even answer
I answer and then immediately hang up
I pretend to play along for a while before finally ending the call
I chew them out for calling
Other
I never get scam calls

J N Winkler

I've gotten a few calls and texts from 785-296-XXXX numbers.  Area code 785 covers Topeka, and exchange 296 is assigned to the State of Kansas, so this looks like a clear-cut example of scammers trying a "You are about to lose state aid" play.

It's interesting to look at the psychology underlying these scams.  Promises of cash up front don't work on me, but I've gotten one step in on scams that somehow play on fears of loose threads or reputation management failures.  Because several state DOTs integrate construction plans distribution with DBE management, I routinely get emails from businesses wanting quotes from me, asking if I'm interested in serving as a subcontractor, or offering estimation services.  I suspect much of the mail I've been getting in the last-listed category is actually spam.

A while ago I received an email allegedly from a firm of solicitors in Northern Ireland, saying they were searching for heirs to the estate of someone with my last name.  It had none of the typical signs of being spam--grammar and spelling were essentially perfect and it had the tone of an ordinary business letter.  I suspected it was fraudulent largely because my name ancestors actually come from Saxony.  I didn't feel quite right about just deleting it, and Googling did not turn up evidence of others receiving emails allegedly from the same firm (which actually exists), so I dug up an email contact address and wrote to it, quoting the suspected scam email, and asked them to get in touch with me via return email if they had really sent it.  They never wrote back, so I feel I got the response I needed.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

tchafe1978

My phone now includes a Google call screener, that will play a script explainning that I am using a call screening service, and for the caller to state wheren they are calling from and reason for calling. I have yet to have one caller continue with the call after using it. Most of the time previously I would just let the call go to voicemail.

I sometimes get the other end of the "scam" call. As part of my job, I have to call customers to let them know their orders are ready, or to follow up on their order a week or so after they pick it up. I had one customer, who was originally from Vietnam I think she said, who I had to call to let her know her order was ready. She of course didn't recognize the number I was calling from, so when she answered she started to scream loudly in her native language. I just sat and laughed to myself for a few seconds before trying to state who I was, and why and where I was calling from. She calmed down and aplogized once she saw who I was. She knew who I was, having dealt with her in person in the store. I've had a few other customers answer irately before realizing who was calling and that we had previously done business, but that one takes the cake. One of these times I'm going to say I'm calling about your car's warranty just to see what kind of reaction I get, but that might get me in trouble.

GaryV

Back when signing up for a long-distance provider was a thing, my sister-in-law would respond to telemarketers who wanted her to change. "Oh, sorry, we don't have a phone." Some of them bought it and apologized for the bother.'

kphoger

Quote from: GaryV on April 26, 2022, 04:44:39 PM
Back when signing up for a long-distance provider was a thing, my sister-in-law would respond to telemarketers who wanted her to change. "Oh, sorry, we don't have a phone." Some of them bought it and apologized for the bother.'

My dad has done that before.  What are they going to do, call you a liar?

I tried it once recently.  The guy asked me how I was talking to him then.  I said I didn't know.  That conversation didn't last long.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

dlsterner

For the scammers who want to "remove a virus we detected" on your computer, I've often wondered if they were going to get me to reveal my IP address to them, presumably so they could install some sort of malware.

If I told them it was 127.0.0.1, would they be stupid enough to try to install it there?

bm7

Quote from: dlsterner on April 26, 2022, 08:40:43 PM
For the scammers who want to "remove a virus we detected" on your computer, I've often wondered if they were going to get me to reveal my IP address to them, presumably so they could install some sort of malware.

If I told them it was 127.0.0.1, would they be stupid enough to try to install it there?
Unless you have a very insecure network, they can't do that with just your IP address. Tech support scammers gain access to your computer by getting you to install remote access software.

NWI_Irish96

Back when AT&T still formally had its full name, I told an AT&T telemarketer that I wanted to purchase a telegraph. He got really confused.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

Rothman

Quote from: cabiness42 on April 27, 2022, 07:35:04 AM

Back when AT&T still formally had its full name, I told an AT&T telemarketer that I wanted to purchase a telegraph. He got really confused.
"Well, what does that second T stand for, then?" :D
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

kphoger

Quote from: Rothman on April 27, 2022, 08:13:03 AM
"Well, what does that second T stand for, then?" :D

It stands for "Kentucky Fried".
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

kphoger

I just got a call from a lady who, as soon as I said hello, said sternly:  Now you know what's it's like to be called from a number that's unwanted!

I immediately realized some scam operator had probably spoofed my phone number, and that she was simply calling the number back to chew them out.  So I simply replied:  You were probably spoofed.

She said, with her foot in her mouth:  You're right, I was.
Male pronouns, please.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: kphoger on February 20, 2024, 03:43:53 PM
I just got a call from a lady who, as soon as I said hello, said sternly:  Now you know what's it's like to be called from a number that's unwanted!

I immediately realized some scam operator had probably spoofed my phone number, and that she was simply calling the number back to chew them out.  So I simply replied:  You were probably spoofed.

She said, with her foot in her mouth:  You're right, I was.

I've gotten a couple calls from older people to whom I had to explain that my number wasn't actually the one that called them.

By the way, isn't it about time for somebody to invent technology that prevents spoofing? Forces the call to either show up as the actual location it's from or just 'unkown'.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

epzik8

From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

JayhawkCO

I've lately just been answering and then not talking, so they just hear me typing away (as this is usually during work hours). Most of the time they don't hang up for about 30 seconds or so, so I'd like to think I'm saving one other human a call.

kphoger

Quote from: JayhawkCO on February 20, 2024, 04:31:17 PM
I've lately just been answering and then not talking, so they just hear me typing away (as this is usually during work hours). Most of the time they don't hang up for about 30 seconds or so, so I'd like to think I'm saving one other human a call.

Same here.  If I have music playing on the PC speakers, then I set the phone near them.
Male pronouns, please.

Ted$8roadFan

Don't answer the phone unless I know who it is.

hotdogPi

I just got a call from a number I didn't recognize. It was legitimate (a Walgreens that I called a few days prior but not my typical one). Not answering unknown calls will result in missing out on things.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

JayhawkCO

The really annoying thing is that I have an official "work number" on Microsoft Teams which is a 303 (Denver) number. Every time I get a call on it from a phone number (as opposed to someone on my team), it's a Colorado based number, so I know it's spam. But, it takes three clicks of the red button to make the call actually go away. If I just hit dismiss once, it calls back about a second and a half later.

kalvado

had a few "Hi, is Laurie there?  ... OK, maybe you can help me then"
"yes, she is in the restroom, wait a second" (putting phone on a desk  and walking to grab a snack)

Rothman

I just got a spam text about terms for a loan.  Just responded, "Not good enough."  Didn't hear back.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

SectorZ

Quote from: Rothman on February 20, 2024, 05:30:11 PM
I just got a spam text about terms for a loan.  Just responded, "Not good enough."  Didn't hear back.

We may bicker with each other on here sometimes, but I never fail to be entertained by the things you share on here.

GaryV

Quote from: 1 on February 20, 2024, 04:46:06 PM
I just got a call from a number I didn't recognize. It was legitimate (a Walgreens that I called a few days prior but not my typical one). Not answering unknown calls will result in missing out on things.
Legit callers can always leave a message.

kphoger

Quote from: GaryV on February 20, 2024, 06:32:19 PM

But can and do aren't the same thing.

Also, if one's mailbox is full or not set up, then they cannot.
Male pronouns, please.

zachary_amaryllis

I have the next best thing to a burner phone. I have a VOIP phone for work, that probably uses some similar tech to obfuscate the number - I.E. since I'm an admin, I can change my number with a mouse click.

So, it's fun harassing scammers back. I like the 'we found a rental car in your name at the border with a bunch of dope' one.

I'll ask what kind of car, and it's usually a Toyota Yaris.

I tell 'em, well, that can't be me. When I run drugs, I use the Suburban. Better cargoi capacity.
clinched:
I-64, I-80, I-76 (west), *64s in hampton roads, 225,270,180 (co, wy)

zachary_amaryllis

Quote from: kphoger on February 20, 2024, 06:44:35 PM
Quote from: GaryV on February 20, 2024, 06:32:19 PM

But can and do aren't the same thing.

Also, if one's mailbox is full or not set up, then they cannot.

Google "Ringless Voicemail". Tech exists to drop a message into your box (full or not, as I understrand it), without even your phone making a noise.
clinched:
I-64, I-80, I-76 (west), *64s in hampton roads, 225,270,180 (co, wy)

kphoger

Quote from: zachary_amaryllis on February 20, 2024, 06:55:03 PM
Tech exists to drop a message into your box (full or not, as I understrand it), without even your phone making a noise.

In which case, it's a moot point.  If the phone doesn't ring...
Male pronouns, please.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.