Minor things that annoy you-sports edition

Started by texaskdog, January 01, 2020, 03:42:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CNGL-Leudimin

That the NCAA uses "Midwest" in the March Madness bracket instead of "North", preventing the four sections from being all named after cardinal directions.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

Buck87

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on March 14, 2022, 06:29:17 PM
That the NCAA uses "Midwest" in the March Madness bracket instead of "North", preventing the four sections from being all named after cardinal directions.

You would have loved it back when the regions were West, Midwest, Mideast and East. 

SP Cook

Quote from: Buck87 on March 14, 2022, 08:03:19 PM

You would have loved it back when the regions were West, Midwest, Mideast and East. 

I remember that.  AFAIK, the NCAA was unique in its use of the word "Mideast"  to mean "eastern Midwest" .    Also both terms were used for places well below the Ohio.  A team from Louisiana would have gone to the Mideast regional, a team from Texas to the Midwest. 

Scott5114

uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Big John

Quote from: frankenroad on May 24, 2022, 05:09:04 PM
And don't get me started on sports players who put the JR or III on their uniforms - unless your dad is still playing in the same league, (e.g., Ken Griffey at one time), it's not necessary.  When I played soccer, my shirt just said SMITH on the back.

Started with Robert Griffin III.  The NFL changed the rule allowing such suffixes with him as a rookie.  Not all teams do that though.

hbelkins

Quote from: Big John on May 24, 2022, 05:40:56 PM
And don't get me started on sports players who put the JR or III on their uniforms - unless your dad is still playing in the same league, (e.g., Ken Griffey at one time), it's not necessary.  When I played soccer, my shirt just said SMITH on the back.

Started with Robert Griffin III.  The NFL changed the rule allowing such suffixes with him as a rookie.  Not all teams do that though.

NASCAR's done that for years. One of the earliest ones I remember was Bobby Hillin Jr. I never heard of Bobby Hillin Sr., so I don't know why he always needed to be referred to as Bobby Hillin Jr.

Today, there's Martin Truex Jr. Not sure why the suffix is needed.

UK athletes have started doing that. Last year's basketball team had a player named Keion Brooks Jr., and the back of his jersey read BROOKS JR. Never mind that his dad had never played for UK.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Takumi

Quote from: hbelkins on May 25, 2022, 06:34:24 PM

NASCAR's done that for years. One of the earliest ones I remember was Bobby Hillin Jr. I never heard of Bobby Hillin Sr., so I don't know why he always needed to be referred to as Bobby Hillin Jr.

Today, there's Martin Truex Jr. Not sure why the suffix is needed.
Bobby Hillin Sr. was a sprint car and Indy car team owner in the 1970s, and Martin Truex Sr. drove in the Busch North series (what's now known as ARCA East) in the 80s and 90s.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

1995hoo

One reason Griffin did that was because when he played for Baylor, there was another Robert Griffin on the team. But they had different middle initials, so who knows why they chose to use the suffix instead. 
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

kphoger

Quote from: 1995hoo on May 26, 2022, 10:42:27 AM
One reason Griffin did that was because when he played for Baylor, there was another Robert Griffin on the team. But they had different middle initials, so who knows why they chose to use the suffix instead. 

I assume it's because only the last name is shown on a jersey.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

ethanhopkin14

To compare with the old days, Ken Griffey Jr. was a household name, even with the Jr., but his jersey always read GRIFFEY.  OF course that was back when they didn't put suffixes on jerseys.  Even when his dad joined him on the Mariners (not only was there Ken Griffey Sr. and Ken Griffey Jr. playing in the league at the same time, but they were actually on the same team) they both only had GRIFFEY on their jerseys.  Only the numbers 30 and 24 were the identification between the two (and that it was a completely different person wearing the jersey  :spin:)

hbelkins

Quote from: ethanhopkin14 on May 26, 2022, 10:52:39 AM

To compare with the old days, Ken Griffey Jr. was a household name, even with the Jr., but his jersey always read GRIFFEY.  OF course that was back when they didn't put suffixes on jerseys.  Even when his dad joined him on the Mariners (not only was there Ken Griffey Sr. and Ken Griffey Jr. playing in the league at the same time, but they were actually on the same team) they both only had GRIFFEY on their jerseys.  Only the numbers 30 and 24 were the identification between the two (and that it was a completely different person wearing the jersey  :spin:)

Back when the Harrison, Aaron and Andrew, played for UK, they both just had "Harrison" on their backs.

When Dale Earnhardt Jr. came into NASCAR, his father was not all that widely referred to as Dale Earnhardt Sr. A few people did, but he didn't adopt the Sr. as part of his name.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

1995hoo

Quote from: kphoger on May 26, 2022, 10:50:13 AM

Some teams do use first initials if two players have the same last name. Baltimore's baseball team used to have "C. Ripken" and "B. Ripken," for example.

Big John

kphoger

Quote from: 1995hoo on May 28, 2022, 08:08:17 PM

Some teams do use first initials if two players have the same last name. Baltimore's baseball team used to have "C. Ripken" and "B. Ripken," for example.

... which still isn't a middle name.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

1995hoo

Quote from: kphoger on May 31, 2022, 01:10:11 PM

But you said "only the last name is shown on a jersey" and I was saying that's not necessarily true. Once you include first initials, there's no real reason why you couldn't use two initials if appropriate (and I know Texas A&M football, at a minimum, has used the first two letters of players' first names when two players had the same first initial and last name–it would be like putting "Ch. Johnson" and "Cl. Johnson" if a team had players named Chad Johnson and Clyde Johnson).

formulanone

Quote from: 1995hoo on May 31, 2022, 02:10:28 PM
Quote from: kphoger on May 31, 2022, 01:10:11 PM

But you said "only the last name is shown on a jersey" and I was saying that's not necessarily true. Once you include first initials, there's no real reason why you couldn't use two initials if appropriate (and I know Texas A&M football, at a minimum, has used the first two letters of players' first names when two players had the same first initial and last name–it would be like putting "Ch. Johnson" and "Cl. Johnson" if a team had players named Chad Johnson and Clyde Johnson).

I demand to hear an excuse why this bothers anyone here, in a forum where some sort of absolute precision is demanded of naming and numbering inanimate objects.

What if your business card just had your first name or only your last name? Or your name tag?  Let them have their own name spelled out; it turns out people really like it spelled right and not called something else for some reason...  :rolleyes:

dlsterner

Even when Cal and Billy were teammates (and their father Cal Sr. was on the coaching staff), their uniforms still just said "Ripken" without any first initial.  The O's had a worse situation around that same time when they had two pitchers named Michael Anthony Smith (but as fate would have it, they weren't on the major league roster concurrently).

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: dlsterner on May 31, 2022, 08:04:23 PM

Even when Cal and Billy were teammates (and their father Cal Sr. was on the coaching staff), their uniforms still just said "Ripken" without any first initial.  The O's had a worse situation around that same time when they had two pitchers named Michael Anthony Smith (but as fate would have it, they weren't on the major league roster concurrently).

https://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/MIN/MIN201704140.shtml

White Sox started Avasail Garcia in RF, Willy Garcia in LF and Leury Garcia in CF (none related). None wore an initial on their jerseys in front of their last name.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

TheHighwayMan3561

Sort of an amusing story, in the late 1990s Randy Moss's late brother Eric was also on the Vikings. The Vikings played on Thanksgiving in Dallas in 2000; in the first half, Randy Moss's jersey just said "MOSS", but when the teams came back out for the second half, his jersey now said "R. MOSS" - and the weirdest thing was that by this point Eric was no longer on the team, so it must have been a spare jersey lying around from Eric's time on the Vikings that just got brought along in case Randy needed a new jersey.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

jp the roadgeek

Quote from: dlsterner on May 31, 2022, 08:04:23 PM

The Mets did have a similar problem when they had two Bobby Joneses on the roster.  Bobby J Jones was a right handed starter, while Bobby M Jones was a left handed reliever. 

Don't think Greg A and Greg W Harris were ever on the same team at the same time.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

CoreySamson

I dislike it when superstars constantly jump between teams to try to get a championship quick and easy. This particularly seems to be a problem in the NBA (LeBron, Durant, Shaq, Westbrook). I personally respect pro athletes more when they stick with one or two teams for their entire career (think Kobe, Steph Curry, or Dirk). But it's not that much of a problem to me if role players do the same thing, and I actually respect the "journeyman" role players who play for 5 or more teams over their career.
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

jgb191

Quote from: CoreySamson on July 13, 2022, 12:14:56 PM
I dislike it when superstars constantly jump between teams to try to get a championship quick and easy. This particularly seems to be a problem in the NBA (LeBron, Durant, Shaq, Westbrook). I personally respect pro athletes more when they stick with one or two teams for their entire career (think Kobe, Steph Curry, or Dirk). But it's not that much of a problem to me if role players do the same thing, and I actually respect the "journeyman" role players who play for 5 or more teams over their career.

Shaq never jumped to an already championship team (like Kevin Durant did from OKC to GS).  If anything, it was the reverse (twice): he jumped from an Eastern Conference championship team (Orlando) to a team in Los Angeles trying to find a new identity (and did thanks to the genius of one of the greatest architects in sports history Jerry West).  He was traded to another team trying to find its identity with Miami (thanks to another legendary executive Pat Riley).  Riley took a massive gamble to take on an aging Shaq (and it was a huge gamble considering he had to give up all-star caliber talents).  Again Shaq left a championship team for a lesser team at the time.  By the time Shaq was in Phoenix and Cleveland, his ability had plunged far from his former superstar status.

------------------------

Sports peeves for me:

A.  Players who reject a multi-million dollars contract offer and claim it's not good enough.  (Latrell Sprewell and Kevin Garnett are a couple that come to mind)

B.  Players who sign a contract (extension) and demand a trade shortly after for any reason.  Deshaun Watson and Kevin Durant come to mind on this one.  And yes as a Texans fan this irked our fanbase; Deshaun signed an extension for four more years, only to quit a mere four months after signing it.  I can understand wanting to be traded after completing more than half of your obligated time for certain reasons.  It's called a contract for a reason; players have no freedom to simply quit or join a new team at will like the rest of us.
We're so far south that we're not even considered "The South"

hotdogPi

At a restaurant, I saw on one of the TVs a Red Sox uniform with 34 inside a goat outline. This is David Ortiz. Someone seems to be confused about what GOAT means. Unlike Tom Brady, there are multiple teams in baseball with really good designated hitters; while David Ortiz was good, he's not a GOAT.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

dlsterner

Quote from: 1 on July 24, 2022, 02:21:13 PM
At a restaurant, I saw on one of the TVs a Red Sox uniform with 34 inside a goat outline. This is David Ortiz. Someone seems to be confused about what GOAT means. Unlike Tom Brady, there are multiple teams in baseball with really good designated hitters; while David Ortiz was good, he's not a GOAT.

Agree ... even if you consider Red Sox only players (of all positions), while David Ortiz was one of the best, no way could you rank him above Ted Williams.

(Side note:  first time I was exposed to the term GOAT/goat was in the old Peanuts comic strips where Charlie Brown was always the "goat" (as opposed to "GOAT") for causing his team to lose.  I still do a double-take when I see the term.)

ethanhopkin14

Quote from: dlsterner on July 24, 2022, 03:42:34 PM
Quote from: 1 on July 24, 2022, 02:21:13 PM

Agree ... even if you consider Red Sox only players (of all positions), while David Ortiz was one of the best, no way could you rank him above Ted Williams.

(Side note:  first time I was exposed to the term GOAT/goat was in the old Peanuts comic strips where Charlie Brown was always the "goat" (as opposed to "GOAT") for causing his team to lose.  I still do a double-take when I see the term.)

I don't use the term for this reason.  To me a goat is still the person who chokes or fails in the situation he needed to succeed in. 

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.