News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Morris County Meet (NJ)

Started by Alps, February 17, 2020, 01:04:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which Saturday would you attend this meet?

July 18
8 (44.4%)
July 25
8 (44.4%)
August 1
10 (55.6%)
August 8
8 (44.4%)
August 15
8 (44.4%)
August 29
6 (33.3%)
September 5 (Labor Day weekend)
6 (33.3%)
Sunday, September 6
6 (33.3%)
September 19
10 (55.6%)
September 26
12 (66.7%)

Total Members Voted: 18

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: cl94 on April 27, 2020, 01:51:03 PM
Quote from: Alps on April 27, 2020, 01:38:48 PM
Update: Still planning to have this meet but keeping an eye on social policies for now. We can always do this as a picnic or BYO gathering.

This is indeed the prudent approach. Who knows if parks, etc. will still be closed and gatherings banned in August, but BYO gatherings are reasonable if allowed.

I'll trade you my orange for your string cheese stick.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Alps

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on April 28, 2020, 12:36:43 AM
Quote from: cl94 on April 27, 2020, 01:51:03 PM
Quote from: Alps on April 27, 2020, 01:38:48 PM
Update: Still planning to have this meet but keeping an eye on social policies for now. We can always do this as a picnic or BYO gathering.

This is indeed the prudent approach. Who knows if parks, etc. will still be closed and gatherings banned in August, but BYO gatherings are reasonable if allowed.

I'll trade you my orange for your string cheese stick.
Not if I can't furiously disinfect it.

getemngo

I had originally been planning on 4 meets this year...

Outer Banks got postponed to next year.
Cincinnati depends on how my chronic illness is faring.
La Crosse will only happen if a conflicting event that weekend moves online.
Kansas City is still a near certainty.

One meet in a year is ridiculous even with my reclusiveness and I've owed Alps a visit for years, so...  :wave:

Edit: Crap, forgot Sauk Valley, which is another near certainty. Point still stands.
~ Sam from Michigan

Alps

After careful consideration, I have decided to set the date of the Morris County Meet as Saturday, August 1, 2020. For those curious, here is my thought process:

* NJ is entering Phase 2 as of June 15, which allows outdoor dining at restaurants and limited groups.
* There is no knowing where we go from here, so I would continue to have this as a "picnic style" meetup and monitor the situation. I would expect that we can get a catered meal, at the very least.
* Regardless of when I hold this, if it's going to be in 2020, we will need to socially distance and observe proper precautions. I will encourage people to isolate as much as possible in the 2 weeks prior to the meet and wear masks when socializing, especially within 6' or indoors at any establishment.
* COVID has accelerated some construction, and one of the stops on my meet is a bridge that may be completed by the later date in September.
* 8/1 was tied as the second most popular date and is still during the summer, before school, when some attendees may have more flexibility to travel.

I do not think that moving this to September is going to make much of a difference. We won't have a cure. We may be past the 2nd wave and onto a 3rd wave by then. There's no way to know. I'll figure out details as we get closer, including where and how to take a meet photo. Whatever this may be, I hope you can make it in some capacity.

cl94

If it's 8/1, I'm out. That's the TRB deadline and I need to be on call.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

74/171FAN

I definitely agree with your established protocols.  This is the only way I would feel comfortable in a gathering at this point.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

baugh17

Quote from: Alps on June 12, 2020, 09:23:15 PM
After careful consideration, I have decided to set the date of the Morris County Meet as Saturday, August 1, 2020.

My attendance will be contingent on whether fans will be allowed to see the Buffalo Bisons game in person that evening (My Brother-In-Law is hosting his annual suite get-together that day).

Alps

Quote from: baugh17 on June 14, 2020, 12:08:10 PM
Quote from: Alps on June 12, 2020, 09:23:15 PM
After careful consideration, I have decided to set the date of the Morris County Meet as Saturday, August 1, 2020.

My attendance will be contingent on whether fans will be allowed to see the Buffalo Bisons game in person that evening (My Brother-In-Law is hosting his annual suite get-together that day).
I would be very surprised if minor league baseball allows fans when major league doesn't. At this point, I'd be surprised if there's baseball this year. :(

baugh17

Quote from: Alps on June 14, 2020, 12:31:30 PM
I would be very surprised if minor league baseball allows fans when major league doesn't. At this point, I'd be surprised if there's baseball this year. :(

I agree.  But I do have to keep it on the calendar until I get official word that either the game is off or we're not allowed to attend.

Alps

https://www.facebook.com/events/1938131359657599/
RSVP page is active and open to the public. RSVP in this thread if you don't use Facebook.

EDIT: Awesome, Facebook won't show me people who respond to my own damn event if we're not friends.  :rolleyes:

SSOWorld

Quote from: Alps on June 21, 2020, 12:12:34 AM
https://www.facebook.com/events/1938131359657599/
RSVP page is active and open to the public. RSVP in this thread if you don't use Facebook.

EDIT: Awesome, Facebook won't show me people who respond to my own damn event if we're not friends.  :rolleyes:
Exactly the reason I avoid interacting with public events - both as an attendee and an organizer.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

SSOWorld

Separate from above, I'm on the fence at this time.  As this fits snugly in my 2-week vacation I had set for Hawaii it's doable.  However, I can't make any calls until we know where the strains are going so it may be closer to a couple weeks out - maybe a month - due to irregularities in destinations or desire just to stay local.
Scott O.

Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
Raise your what?

okroads

At this point, I'm out due to the quarantine restrictions which now include Ohio as of today (7/14). It was unlikely I was going to be able to make this anyways, but the government and other Ohio citizens are making the decision for me.  :verymad:

cl94

Quote from: okroads on July 14, 2020, 12:13:16 PM
At this point, I'm out due to the quarantine restrictions which now include Ohio as of today (7/14). It was unlikely I was going to be able to make this anyways, but the government and other Ohio citizens are making the decision for me.  :verymad:

The thing with NJ is that it's technically an advisory (unlike NY, which is mandatory) and visits under 24 hours are exempt. Provided PA keeps Ohio off of its quarantine list, you could realistically stay in Allentown or something and be fine. The NY one is a bit stricter with enforcement measures in place, but as long as you didn't cross into NY...
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

jpi

As for me, I am on the fence too, I may be in central PA that week so I could easily attend (yes I know I live in TN which has seen an uptick in cases but Steph and I have been fine and yes I will be wearing a face mask) but I have been starting to do smaller diecast toy shows and setting up at indoor\ outdoor flea markets too, so we will see.
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

SSOWorld

I have intentions to make the drive up (whether it be in my car or a rented one from BWI - no not for disguise, but to distribute miles) off my road trip to the mid-atlantic.  As cl94 said - it's an advisory - which eliminates my intent to overnight there (staying south near Baltimore - to avoid PA as well)

PA's update happens on Fridays it seems as NJ/NY/CT happens on Tuesday.  Iowa got added to PA's list last Friday.  I'm sure that WI will be added as well.
Scott O.

Raise your what?

oscar

The NY/NJ/CT "travel advisory" has just been expanded, to add Virginia, as well as Maryland and eight other states, to the shit list. That list now includes 31 states, not that many left off the list by now.

That likely means a "no" for me for this meet, even though for NJ the advisory is technically just an advisory. I'm disinclined to force that issue, especially since I'd wanted to add another day in NJ to my visit if I were up there for the meet.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

Alps

I've updated the meet page with the itinerary. Here is a link for those who are not on Facebook:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1oYJeqD-4kXTHZTV2Ig6S3H7o_qu_AnNA/view?usp=sharing

Note that we are now meeting directly at the Savage Road Park and Ride at 11:30, instead of at the Hibernia Diner. I encourage you to take out from the Diner or another local establishment for lunch.

To reiterate: I welcome people from all locations. New Jersey does not exclude you regardless of your origin. I know people with small children, elderly parents, etc. are being safe and I trust them to continue to be safe. I have no further updates on mask wearing or social distancing, I think we all know the rules on that. I hope you won't let the list deter you from attending with proper precautions.

vdeane

Quote from: oscar on July 21, 2020, 04:10:35 PM
The NY/NJ/CT "travel advisory" has just been expanded, to add Virginia, as well as Maryland and eight other states, to the shit list. That list now includes 31 states, not that many left off the list by now.

That likely means a "no" for me for this meet, even though for NJ the advisory is technically just an advisory. I'm disinclined to force that issue, especially since I'd wanted to add another day in NJ to my visit if I were up there for the meet.
You never know.  Delaware was added, then removed, then added again... so you might get lucky.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

SSOWorld

Though it's not official, it looks likely that I will have to shit-can my trip.  Back injury and hotspots in the plan.
Scott O.

Raise your what?

74/171FAN

Kentucky and Illinois were added to the list this week. Minnesota was readded after being taken off last week. 

I should be in unless I start feeling worse than I am now.  I am just surprised that any other states outside of the northeast beyond Pennsylvania and Michigan are off the list.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

bandit957

Quote from: 74/171FAN on July 28, 2020, 01:21:16 PM
Kentucky and Illinois were added to the list this week. Minnesota was readded after being taken off last week.

All 3 are among the best states right now. Kentucky had one day where there were over 900 new cases, but most of those were at a prison.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

cl94

Quote from: bandit957 on July 28, 2020, 01:23:49 PM
Quote from: 74/171FAN on July 28, 2020, 01:21:16 PM

All 3 are among the best states right now. Kentucky had one day where there were over 900 new cases, but most of those were at a prison.

In terms of 7-day average, Kentucky is the 24th-best state in the country, Minnesota is 21st, and Illinois is 19th. But the infection rates are still 2-5 times higher than in the three states whose quarantine lists they are on. NY/NJ/CT don't care how each individual state is relative to the country as a whole, they care how you are in relation to NY/NJ/CT. And right now, most of the rest of the country is still far from the Northeast in terms of infection rate.

Alps

A metric dozen (10) showed up for today's bright and sunny (pushing 90 degrees) MoCoRoM...eet. It was great to see everyone over lunch, but as the day wore on, we started dropping numbers. For many, the highlight was the optional leg where we walked part of the 19th century Hamburg Turnpike and saw some very old drainage infrastructure never traversed by cars. I ended the meet after the Washington St. Bridge leg as our numbers dwindled toward zero, but for as hot as it was and the constant masks making us even hotter, I think we had a good meet with some fun sights of backroads New Jersey. Looking forward to seeing people's faces again, someday.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.