The Arterial Highway Plan from New York's 1969 Master Plan

Started by kernals12, January 01, 2021, 04:33:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kernals12

Alps

If I'm reading this right:
* NJ 75 lives but I-278 west of I-95 has died
* NJ 81 still proposed from NJTP Exit 13, not yet 13A
* A freeway proposed from the Pulaski Skyway up into I-95 north of the Lombardi SA - how would that even work? That one I can't even picture what was proposed.
* NJ 440 has a random spur to Exit 14B, nothing like the north end of NJ 169 or the later plans for NJ 185.
* Staten Island's East Shore Expressway is already dead, proposed as "major street" only, yet the North Shore lives on.
* No plans left for the Prospect, Bushwick, Lower Manhattan, Cross-Brooklyn, Clearview, Interboro, or Sheridan freeways/extensions, but all are "major corridors" - which means what exactly?
* I-878 still proposed for extension, Sunrise Highway is shown as a parkway in green but clearly does not exist.
* Mosholu and Pelham just shown as Parkways - was the intent to upgrade them or leave them with signals?

kernals12

Quote from: Alps on January 02, 2021, 12:16:49 AM
* A freeway proposed from the Pulaski Skyway up into I-95 north of the Lombardi SA - how would that even work? That one I can't even picture what was proposed.
* NJ 440 has a random spur to Exit 14B, nothing like the north end of NJ 169 or the later plans for NJ 185.
* Staten Island's East Shore Expressway is already dead, proposed as "major street" only, yet the North Shore lives on.
* No plans left for the Prospect, Bushwick, Lower Manhattan, Cross-Brooklyn, Clearview, Interboro, or Sheridan freeways/extensions, but all are "major corridors" - which means what exactly?
* I-878 still proposed for extension, Sunrise Highway is shown as a parkway in green but clearly does not exist.
* Mosholu and Pelham just shown as Parkways - was the intent to upgrade them or leave them with signals?

If you read the report, it says they consider various options to increase capacity, from improved signal timing to new grade-separated highways
https://archive.org/details/planfornewyorkci00newy

D-Dey65

Quote from: kernals12 on January 02, 2021, 08:00:00 AM

If you read the report, it says they consider various options to increase capacity, from improved signal timing to new grade-separated highways

You must have an account with them, because all I'm getting after page 8 is "Use your free account to borrow this book and gain access to all pages."

*So Richmond Parkway to the Willowborook Expressway? Nah, it should've gone to Todt Hill. Willowbrook probably should've been a parkway from the Staten Island Expressway down to the South Shore, the Shore Parkway should've been kept along the south shore, and the only part of the North Shore Expressway that should've been built was the segment between the Staten Island and Willowbrook Expressways. And I still like the idea of the Wolfe's Pond Parkway.
*Lower Manhattan still planned, but not Mid-Manhattan? Ugh!
*Of all the "important traffic corridors" in NYC, the only one I object to is the Queens-Interboro. Extending the Jackie Robinson (Interborough) Parkway to the Belt, I can go along with, though. BTW, I saw some historic images of the old BMT Fulton El that had Robert Moses parkway-style  streetlights usually meant for dividers.
*No NJ 17 extension to the New Jersey Turnpike? That sucks.
*I can't make any sense of the Pulaski Skyway spur either.
*Sunrise Highway shouldn't have been shown as a parkway. It should've been an Expressway.
*Mosholu and Pelham Parkways should've been upgraded.

kernals12

Quote from: D-Dey65 on January 02, 2021, 09:49:18 AM
Quote from: kernals12 on January 02, 2021, 08:00:00 AM

You must have an account with them, because all I'm getting after page 8 is "Use your free account to borrow this book and gain access to all pages."

*So Richmond Parkway to the Willowborook Expressway? Nah, it should've gone to Todt Hill. Willowbrook probably should've been a parkway from the Staten Island Expressway down to the South Shore, the Shore Parkway should've been kept along the south shore, and the only part of the North Shore Expressway that should've been built was the segment between the Staten Island and Willowbrook Expressways. And I still like the idea of the Wolfe's Pond Parkway.
*Lower Manhattan still planned, but not Mid-Manhattan? Ugh!
*Of all the "important traffic corridors" in NYC, the only one I object to is the Queens-Interboro. Extending the Jackie Robinson (Interborough) Parkway to the Belt, I can go along with, though. BTW, I saw some historic images of the old BMT Fulton El that had Robert Moses parkway-style  streetlights usually meant for dividers.
*I can't make any sense of the Pulaski Skyway spur either.
*Sunrise Highway shouldn't have been shown as a parkway. It should've been an Expressway.
*Mosholu and Pelham Parkways should've been upgraded.

The Mid-Manhattan Expressway would've probably set a world record for ROW acquisition costs.

kernals12

Everyone: The Lower Manhattan Expressway would've destroyed SoHo!
Me: And that's bad because...?

froggie

^ Because, believe it or not, there's a lot of tax base and culture in SoHo that would have been wiped out for that right-of-way.

kernals12

Quote from: froggie on January 02, 2021, 11:04:39 AM
^ Because, believe it or not, there's a lot of tax base and culture in SoHo that would have been wiped out for that right-of-way.

tax base I'll grant you, but none of the culture there is worth preserving.

Rothman

Quote from: kernals12 on January 02, 2021, 11:08:08 AM

You must be a lot of fun at parties. 
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

froggie

Given that you seem to have a pathological hatred of city life, this comment is not surprising.  But very disappointing.  Who is to say which culture is worth preserving and which is worth eliminating?

Alps

Quote from: D-Dey65 on January 02, 2021, 09:49:18 AM

I think that one actually came later.

Pete from Boston

OK, Robert Moses.

billpa

What about Greenwich Village? Is that a neighborhood worth saving or should it have been plowed under by Interstate 5-495?

Pixel 2

kernals12

Quote from: billpa on January 02, 2021, 06:48:26 PM

What about Greenwich Village? Is that a neighborhood worth saving or should it have been plowed under by Interstate 5-495?

Pixel 2

Why would that have happened? Greenwich wasn't in the Right of Way.

billpa

Yeah, I'm just wondering what neighborhoods you don't consider culturally important enough to be worth saving if some bureaucrat were to propose a highway plow through it.

Pixel 2

hotdogPi

Quote from: billpa on January 02, 2021, 06:48:26 PM

Pixel 2

No opinion on saving or not, but it does need to be renamed. When I first saw the name in print, I thought it was referring to Greenwich, CT.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

froggie

Quote from: kernals12 on January 02, 2021, 06:49:58 PM
Quote from: billpa on January 02, 2021, 06:48:26 PMWhat about Greenwich Village? Is that a neighborhood worth saving or should it have been plowed under by Interstate 5-495?

Pixel 2

Greenwich proper would have been indirectly impacted given the connection to the then-West Side Highway.  But there were a number of neighborhoods (not just Soho) that would have been directly impacted.  The southern half of Bowery would have been all but obliterated for the connection to the Manhattan Bridge.  There were significant impacts to Nolita, Chinatown, and the Lower East Side as well.

D-Dey65

Quote from: froggie on January 02, 2021, 09:25:59 PM

Greenwich proper would have been indirectly impacted given the connection to the then-West Side Highway.  But there were a number of neighborhoods (not just Soho) that would have been directly impacted.  The southern half of Bowery would have been all but obliterated for the connection to the Manhattan Bridge.  There were significant impacts to Nolita, Chinatown, and the Lower East Side as well.

Well, with the exception of the Bowery (and from what I've read Washington Square), it seems like every other neighborhood would've survived, even if they had changed. I still remember the time when in Little Italy people thought Chinatown was encroaching on them. I would've like to think that LoMex might've kept the two neighborhoods in tact.

Pete from Boston

Quote from: D-Dey65 on January 15, 2021, 08:36:26 AM

Well, with the exception of the Bowery (and from what I've read Washington Square), it seems like every other neighborhood would've survived, even if they had changed. I still remember the time when in Little Italy people thought Chinatown was encroaching on them. I would've like to think that LoMex might've kept the two neighborhoods in tact.

I mean, I thought it was generally accepted as a point of fact for decades that Little Italy has been shrinking as Chinatown encroaches .

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/19/nyregion/little-italy-manhattan-fire.html

kernals12

Quote from: Pete from Boston on January 15, 2021, 10:13:34 AM
Quote from: D-Dey65 on January 15, 2021, 08:36:26 AM

I mean, I thought it was generally accepted as a point of fact for decades that Little Italy has been shrinking as Chinatown encroaches .

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/19/nyregion/little-italy-manhattan-fire.html

Maybe some sort of a Great Wall would prevent this  :bigass:

The Ghostbuster

In order to preserve inner-city neighborhoods, I would have advocated putting those expressways underground as deep-bored tunnels. But due to the expense of tunnels, and the possibility of those tunnels conflicting with existing subway lines, such a proposal would have been difficult to implement, thus my post is a hypothetical one.

kernals12

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on January 16, 2021, 02:20:05 PM
In order to preserve inner-city neighborhoods, I would have advocated putting those expressways underground as deep-bored tunnels. But due to the expense of tunnels, and the possibility of those tunnels conflicting with existing subway lines, such a proposal would have been difficult to implement, thus my post is a hypothetical one.

This is not exactly a novel insight.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.