News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Most Iconic Bridge in Each Metro Area

Started by webny99, February 21, 2021, 01:52:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

webny99

What is the most iconic bridge in each metro area across the US (and Canada)?

Some are obvious, like the Golden Gate. Others are a bit more ambiguous. Eventually, I want to get at least the top 100 metros across the US, and maybe one for each state as well.

I'll start with Rochester, NY: I-490 over the Genesee River.

hotdogPi

Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

Rothman

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Big John

JayhawkCO

Denver isn't really known for water.  So I'll nominate the former Gates Rubber Factory Bridge that attaches to I-25.

Chris

Flint1979

NWI_Irish96

For Chicago, probably the Lake Shore Drive bridge over the Chicago River. The Skyway is probably best known by name, but the image of the LSD bridge probably registers with more people.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

Dirt Roads

In Richmond, how about the CSXT Acca Bridge carrying the former Atlantic Coast Line (now CSXT's North End Subdivision) across the James River.  A majestic view of the Acca Bridge was created after the construction of the Powhite Parkway in the early 1970s.  To make things confusing, the other Acca Bridge is a 6-lane highway bridge carrying Westwood Avenue/Saunders Avenue (VA-197) over these same tracks at east end of Acca Yard (which is actually CSXT former Richmond, Fredericksburg and Potomac on the west leg of the wye).

https://www.flickr.com/photos/83399266@N02/38128968532

sprjus4

If you're looking solely within the metropolitan area, I'd say the I-64 Hampton Roads Bridge Tunnel, but otherwise the US-13 Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel connecting region to the Eastern Shore.

MCRoads

Quote from: Flint1979 on February 21, 2021, 04:10:47 PM
Detroit: Ambassador

Not for long!

Quote from: sprjus4 on February 21, 2021, 05:35:28 PM
If you're looking solely within the metropolitan area, I'd say the I-64 Hampton Roads Bridge Tunnel, but otherwise the US-13 Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel connecting region to the Eastern Shore.

I would say that Norfolk/Hampton Roads are NOT the same metro area, as would this Wikipedia article, who cites the census Bureau. Norfolk is number 37, and Richmond is number 49.

Anyway, I nominate Oklahoma City! And it would be the pedestrian bridge with that thing on top. Anyone who lives there knows about it, most don't know what it is meant to be. At least from who I have talked to. It was supposed to be the state bird, but I can't see it, lol.

And, for the Colorado Springs metro area, I would say the Royal Gorge Bridge. Although not technically in the metro area, it is not in its own metro area either, unlike the HRBT and CBBT example above.
I build roads on Minecraft. Like, really good roads.
Interstates traveled:
4/5/10*/11**/12**/15/25*/29*/35(E/W[TX])/40*/44**/49(LA**)/55*/64**/65/66*/70°/71*76(PA*,CO*)/78*°/80*/95°/99(PA**,NY**)

*/** indicates a terminus/termini being traveled
° Indicates a gap (I.E Breezwood, PA.)

more room plz

Max Rockatansky

Probably the 1941 Lanes Bridge in Fresno would be the closest thing.  The San Joaquin River Viaduct will likely be pretty notable when it's competed, it's more infamous right now.

MCRoads

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on February 21, 2021, 06:17:30 PM
Probably the 1941 Lanes Bridge in Fresno would be the closest thing.  The San Joaquin River Viaduct will likely be pretty notable when it's competed, it's more infamous right now.

Glad CA is actually taking the plunge into HSR. I just hope they do it right, as if they exicute it properly, it might encourage other states to follow suit.
Interstates traveled:
4/5/10*/11**/12**/15/25*/29*/35(E/W[TX])/40*/44**/49(LA**)/55*/64**/65/66*/70°/71*76(PA*,CO*)/78*°/80*/95°/99(PA**,NY**)

more room plz

Flint1979

Quote from: MCRoads on February 21, 2021, 06:12:43 PM
Quote from: Flint1979 on February 21, 2021, 04:10:47 PM
Detroit: Ambassador

Not for long!

I would say that Norfolk/Hampton Roads are NOT the same metro area, as would this Wikipedia article, who cites the census Bureau. Norfolk is number 37, and Richmond is number 49.

Anyway, I nominate Oklahoma City! And it would be the pedestrian bridge with that thing on top. Anyone who lives there knows about it, most don't know what it is meant to be. At least from who I have talked to. It was supposed to be the state bird, but I can't see it, lol.

And, for the Colorado Springs metro area, I would say the Royal Gorge Bridge. Although not technically in the metro area, it is not in its own metro area either, unlike the HRBT and CBBT example above.
Doesn't matter if it's not for long, it's a current bridge and is by far the most iconic bridge in Metro Detroit.

Flint1979

For Toledo, is it the Glass City Skyway or the Anthony Wayne Bridge?

CoreySamson

It's probably the Fred Hartman Bridge on SH-146 for Houston, although the new ship channel bridge on Beltway 8 will eventually top it.
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

GaryV

Saginaw:  Zilwaukee Bridge

Mackinaw City and St. Ignace:  Ma ... aw, never mind.

US 89

We're not exactly known for our bridges in Salt Lake.

Maybe the Davis County Causeway out to Antelope Island? Granted there are only a couple short sections where the road is actually on a bridge, but at least it crosses a lot of water.

Flint1979

Quote from: GaryV on February 21, 2021, 06:47:54 PM
Saginaw:  Zilwaukee Bridge

Mackinaw City and St. Ignace:  Ma ... aw, never mind.
LOL thanks for supporting my hometown.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: MCRoads on February 21, 2021, 06:21:22 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on February 21, 2021, 06:17:30 PM

Glad CA is actually taking the plunge into HSR. I just hope they do it right, as if they exicute it properly, it might encourage other states to follow suit.

Well...I don't think it's going to pan out.  The current segment being built is largely funded by Federal Grants, got behind schedule and went way over budget.  Apparently the back up plan if the other segments of the HSR don't get constructed is to convert the present segment to a new Amtrak Line.  Considering how bungled it was and how much of the City of Fresno got torn down for the line it's not looking like it was a wise investment. 

index

Wilmington is without a doubt the Cape Fear Memorial Bridge. Well, that's kind of obvious considering it's the only bridge that's both distinct and significant in the area.

Considering 295 in the area of it is a by-pass of Richmond, meant for long-distance traffic instead of locals, I wonder if the Varina-Enon bridge is seen as an iconic bridge in the Richmond area.
I love my 2010 Ford Explorer.

Counties traveled

index

Err, both of the bridges that sprjus mentioned are around the area of the Hampton Roads (the CBBT is in it on only one end) and Norfolk is a pretty integral part of the Hampton Roads area. Where'd Richmond come from?
I love my 2010 Ford Explorer.

Counties traveled

Great Lakes Roads

Northern Indiana: Cline Avenue Bridge?

Evansville: The New I-69 Bridge?

Louisville: Lewis and Clark Bridge (Cable-stayed)

jemacedo9

For Philadelphia...the Ben Franklin Bridge, I think pretty easily.

But for Pittsburgh?  The combination of the Ft Pitt and Ft Duquesne Bridges? 

The Nature Boy

Washington DC: Arlington Memorial Bridge?

MCRoads

Quote from: index on February 21, 2021, 07:12:22 PM

Err, both of the bridges that sprjus mentioned are around the area of the Hampton Roads (the CBBT is in it on only one end) and Norfolk is a pretty integral part of the Hampton Roads area. Where'd Richmond come from?

Oopsie, that was a typo. I meant to say that Norfolk/Hampton Roads AND Richmond aren’t the same Mateo area. I realize now that he may not have been replying to the post above, but I thought he may have been talking about the most notable bridge in Richmond, as he didn’t say he was talking about Norfolk, and then being so close together, I can see someone assuming they are the same metro area.
Interstates traveled:

more room plz

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.