News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Lake Shore Drive Renamed

Started by roadman65, June 25, 2021, 10:40:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick Powell

Quote from: 3467 on July 26, 2021, 06:13:28 PM
It was a thread on AS Roads from a defunct link called cook expressways It was post 5 on Nov 32 2016 on 57 in Chicago by Rick Powell.
That's a bummer about the Cook Expressways site being dead. I looked up some information on it just 2 months ago for research. The guy who ran the site was Andrew Plummer, whose dad worked for the Cook County Highway Department and was a fountain of knowledge on the building of the Chicago expressway system.

Brandon

Quote from: 3467 on July 26, 2021, 06:06:20 PM
I recall seeing Moline on part West of 57.

It is.  The name has shown up on many Illinois maps in the past, but never seriously used.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

Flint1979

I nominate renaming it the Mike Ditka Parkway.

hobsini2

Quote from: Flint1979 on July 27, 2021, 07:36:28 PM
No. Not after his numerous DUIs. Besides, we call him Da Coach.
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

kphoger

Quote from: hobsini2 on July 28, 2021, 12:14:50 PM

No. Not after his numerous DUIs.

That does seem like a undesirable connection for a highway name to have.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

SEWIGuy

Besides that, he's an asshole too.

kphoger

Quote from: SEWIGuy on July 28, 2021, 12:21:21 PM

If that's the criterion, then we should probably rename all streets named after Andrew Jackson...
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

hobsini2

Quote from: kphoger on July 28, 2021, 12:29:37 PM
Quote from: SEWIGuy on July 28, 2021, 12:21:21 PM

If that's the criterion, then we should probably rename all streets named after Andrew Jackson...
And Lyndon Johnson and Ty Cobb
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

Brandon

Quote from: kphoger on July 28, 2021, 12:16:32 PM

Sort of like the Edward Kennedy Bridge.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

hobsini2

Quote from: Brandon on July 28, 2021, 02:36:38 PM

definitely

skluth

Quote from: Brandon on July 28, 2021, 02:36:38 PM

Or the Dick Cheney Rifle

The Ghostbuster

Maybe Chicago should rename all of the US 41 segments of E. Marquette Dr./S. South Shore Dr./E. 71st St to S. Lake Shore Dr. as a way of "filling the gap" between the original segment of the roadway, and the 2013 extension.

Skye

What about just "Dusable Lake Shore Drive" or drop "Lake Shore" and make it "Dusable Drive" or "Dusable Highway"

Brandon

Quote from: Skye on August 15, 2021, 09:37:24 PM
What about just "Dusable Lake Shore Drive" or drop "Lake Shore" and make it "Dusable Drive" or "Dusable Highway"

SSOWorld

How 'bout...

Lake Shore Drive
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

JoePCool14

You obviously aren't from Chicago...

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

US20IL64

Just glad newbies to Chicago aren't calling it "the 41"    :wow:

JoePCool14

Quote from: US20IL64 on September 13, 2021, 08:28:25 PM

Newbies to Chicago? Who's moving into Chicago?

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

ChiMilNet

Quote from: JoePCool14 on September 14, 2021, 03:49:02 PM
Quote from: US20IL64 on September 13, 2021, 08:28:25 PM

Newbies to Chicago? Who's moving into Chicago?

Well, apparently, nearly 50K people in the last decade per the most recent census. That said, no one will call it anything other than Lake Shore Drive or "The Drive".

US20IL64

All over Lincoln Park/Lake View/River North/South Loop, etc. are yuppies from MW towns/suburbs living the 'city experience'. They watched 'friends' growing up and want to be like them.  :popcorn:

The outer areas are where folks are leaving city.

SEWIGuy

Quote from: US20IL64 on September 14, 2021, 05:25:22 PM
All over Lincoln Park/Lake View/River North/South Loop, etc. are yuppies from MW towns/suburbs living the 'city experience'. They watched 'friends' growing up and want to be like them.  :popcorn:

My 30 year old son lives in Lakeview.  He didn't watch Friends growing up - it was a show more for the Gen X crowd.  He lives there because he has a great job and enjoys the city experience.  It is doubtful he will live there the rest of his life though, and that's OK.

Rick Powell

Quote from: SEWIGuy on September 15, 2021, 08:52:57 AM
My 30 year old son lives in Lakeview.  He didn't watch Friends growing up - it was a show more for the Gen X crowd.  He lives there because he has a great job and enjoys the city experience.  It is doubtful he will live there the rest of his life though, and that's OK.

I did an informal study of young people in our Chicago office. Most preferred to live in the city when they were single or attached with double income, no kids. About 90% of the city dwellers moved out of the city to the suburbs within a year or so of having children. I was not surprised by the trend but was by the high percentage.

US20IL64

Some retirees/empty nesters are also moving to lake front.

abefroman329

Quote from: Rick Powell on September 15, 2021, 12:44:48 PM
Quote from: SEWIGuy on September 15, 2021, 08:52:57 AM

I did an informal study of young people in our Chicago office. Most preferred to live in the city when they were single or attached with double income, no kids. About 90% of the city dwellers moved out of the city to the suburbs within a year or so of having children. I was not surprised by the trend but was by the high percentage.

That's exactly what we intend to do in the spring, although our son will be four next year.  We bought right before he was born, though, which kept us in our current townhouse much longer than we would have been able to stay in a condo.

There's nothing at all wrong with our house or our neighborhood (I'd happily send him to the local public school and we would have sent him to preschool last month were it not for COVID), but with both of us working full-time from home, we've almost outgrown our three-bedroom house.  We also don't have a front yard or back yard, and a SFH in this neighborhood is way out of our price range.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.