News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

SunPass "Pro"

Started by edwaleni, July 26, 2021, 09:40:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

edwaleni

Billboards have started popping up about SunPass "Pro". A toll device good across multiple state.

SunPass PRO is a portable transponder that works in Florida, Georgia and everywhere E-ZPass is accepted. SunPass PRO offers drivers the convenience of paying tolls automatically from Florida to Maine and west to Illinois, allowing nonstop travel with just one toll account.

SunPass PRO is a product of SunPass, Florida's Prepaid Toll Program.

https://www.sunpass.com/en/about/pro.shtml

Does anyone have this and is it worth it over just a regular SunPass, which I thought a single transponder was enough?

jdunlop

Quote from: edwaleni on July 26, 2021, 09:40:28 AM
Billboards have started popping up about SunPass "Pro". A toll device good across multiple state.

SunPass PRO is a portable transponder that works in Florida, Georgia and everywhere E-ZPass is accepted. SunPass PRO offers drivers the convenience of paying tolls automatically from Florida to Maine and west to Illinois, allowing nonstop travel with just one toll account.

Does anyone have this and is it worth it over just a regular SunPass, which I thought a single transponder was enough?

If you don't drive outside of Florida, no reason to get the new pass.  However, if you do drive in other tolled states, then it's good to have only one transmitter.

I believe before this, the NC SmartPass was the only one that worked in all "eastern" states (Florida to Illinois.)  EZ-Pass didn't work in Florida and Georgia, and I think still doesn't work in Georgia.

froggie

I guess Florida didn't get the memo that Minnesota's joining EZPass come 8/2...

1995hoo

Quote from: froggie on July 26, 2021, 09:54:04 AM
I guess Florida didn't get the memo that Minnesota's joining EZPass come 8/2...

The information they released was correct at the time (still is, actually, per the date noted in your post)....

Incidentally, in the discussion of this issue in the "Florida" thread, somebody mentioned that Georgia apparently also plans to become E-ZPass compatible by the end of this year.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

froggie

I would argue that the planned expansion of the EZPass network would be a further selling point for SunPass Pro instead of just being ignored.

SP Cook

If my state did not have such a great deal for use of our in-state EZP, I would certainly go with the Florida one.  A single national pass , actually international including Canada, is what has always been needed. 

What toll roads are in Minnesota?  There is a toll bridge to Canada, but no roads.

1995hoo

Quote from: SP Cook on July 26, 2021, 10:37:31 AM
If my state did not have such a great deal for use of our in-state EZP, I would certainly go with the Florida one.  A single national pass , actually international including Canada, is what has always been needed. 

What toll roads are in Minnesota?  There is a toll bridge to Canada, but no roads.

HO/T lanes in the Minneapolis area. If you're referring to the bridge at International Falls, I don't believe that facility takes MnPass.

DeaconG

CFEA (Central Florida Expressway Authority) E-Pass has been E-Z Pass compatible for 3 years. FTE is just now catching up.
Dawnstar: "You're an ape! And you can talk!"
King Solovar: "And you're a human with wings! Reality holds surprises for everyone!"
-Crisis On Infinite Earths #2

NJRoadfan

Going to put this here since its relevant. If you have a SunPass account, but not a SunPass Pro and use a "toll-by-plate" facility in an E-ZPass state, they will eventually bill your account if your license plate is linked to your account. A friend of mine drove across the Chesapeake Bay Bridge and later took US-301 in Delaware expecting a bill, only to see the charges appear on his SunPass account somewhat unexpectedly. He was billed the full "toll-by-plate" rate in Delaware, but Maryland charged the non-MD E-ZPass rate.

edwaleni

Quote from: NJRoadfan on July 26, 2021, 04:58:08 PM
Going to put this here since its relevant. If you have a SunPass account, but not a SunPass Pro and use a "toll-by-plate" facility in an E-ZPass state, they will eventually bill your account if your license plate is linked to your account. A friend of mine drove across the Chesapeake Bay Bridge and later took US-301 in Delaware expecting a bill, only to see the charges appear on his SunPass account somewhat unexpectedly. He was billed the full "toll-by-plate" rate in Delaware, but Maryland charged the non-MD E-ZPass rate.

Exactly why I am asking the question about Pro vs regular. Would it make a difference if the SunPass transponder was up on the window?

If not "Pro" they would simply read your plate and bill the regular "plate rate".

NJRoadfan

If you are driving E-ZPass roads, you want the SunPass Pro as the equipment doesn't support the ISO 6B SeGo stickers at all. Relying on plate readers will not work with most closed ticket system toll roads or the remaining plazas that still have gates on them. You'll either be charged the full length of the roadway (for closed ticket roads) and/or the non-discounted "toll-by-plate" rates. Other facilities like the Virginia HOT lanes on 95/495 require a working tag or you'll get a hefty violation notice.

Rothman

Quote from: NJRoadfan on July 27, 2021, 04:51:05 PM
If you are driving E-ZPass roads, you want the SunPass Pro as the equipment doesn't support the ISO 6B SeGo stickers at all. Relying on plate readers will not work with most closed ticket system toll roads or the remaining plazas that still have gates on them. You'll either be charged the full length of the roadway (for closed ticket roads) and/or the non-discounted "toll-by-plate" rates. Other facilities like the Virginia HOT lanes on 95/495 require a working tag or you'll get a hefty violation notice.
They say the Pro is accepted by E-ZPass, though.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

ran4sh

Quote from: edwaleni on July 26, 2021, 11:10:38 PM

Exactly why I am asking the question about Pro vs regular. Would it make a difference if the SunPass transponder was up on the window?

If not "Pro" they would simply read your plate and bill the regular "plate rate".

A regular SunPass cannot be read by E-ZPass equipment. That is why the SunPass Pro exists in the first place. For a SunPass user to use E-ZPass roads they are supposed to use a SunPass Pro.

Some (most?) E-ZPass roads do not have "regular plate rates", they were only designed to have tolls paid in cash or E-ZPass transponder and the license plate cameras are only used to catch violators.
Control cities CAN be off the route! Control cities make NO sense if signs end before the city is reached!

Travel Mapping - Most Traveled: I-40, 20, 10, 5, 95 - Longest Clinched: I-20, 85, 24, 16, NJ Tpk mainline
Champions - UGA FB '21 '22 - Atlanta Braves '95 '21 - Atlanta MLS '18

edwaleni

Quote from: ran4sh on July 27, 2021, 07:48:37 PM

Quote from: edwaleni on July 26, 2021, 11:10:38 PM

A regular SunPass cannot be read by E-ZPass equipment. That is why the SunPass Pro exists in the first place. For a SunPass user to use E-ZPass roads they are supposed to use a SunPass Pro.

Some (most?) E-ZPass roads do not have "regular plate rates", they were only designed to have tolls paid in cash or E-ZPass transponder and the license plate cameras are only used to catch violators.

I was curious that if they have the ability to read your plate and confirm its identity, then they would have the ability to see if they subscribe to "any" eToll provider.

Technically they could provide a discounted plate rate to these "foreign" subscribers that is less than the straight non-sub rate but still more than a EZ-Pass rate.

I know how these systems can interchange data very easily and very cheaply without having to have everyone resell a bunch of multi-mode transponders.

But I get it, these are government entities we are talking about.

NJRoadfan

E-ZPass roads will not send a violation if you have the vehicle plate associated with your account. This is a fallback in case your tag doesn't read. It applies to other member agencies as well as CFX charged my E-ZPass account when my SunPass tag didn't read (my E-ZPass was wrapped in foil to prevent possible double charges). I know E-ZPass will send a note to the account holder if excessive no-tag transactions start occurring as its usually a sign that the battery in the tag is failing. Even though I'm an account holder, matching up a plate to an account still costs a bit more than just having a tag read.

edwaleni

Quote from: NJRoadfan on July 29, 2021, 09:21:45 PM
E-ZPass roads will not send a violation if you have the vehicle plate associated with your account. This is a fallback in case your tag doesn't read. It applies to other member agencies as well as CFX charged my E-ZPass account when my SunPass tag didn't read (my E-ZPass was wrapped in foil to prevent possible double charges). I know E-ZPass will send a note to the account holder if excessive no-tag transactions start occurring as its usually a sign that the battery in the tag is failing. Even though I'm an account holder, matching up a plate to an account still costs a bit more than just having a tag read.

I imagine that we are heading closer and closer to a national toll tag system run by various private entities, some who will be (or not) carry franchises in the lower 48. 

With the question of road fuel taxation still in flux as there is a movement to EV's, there will be an increasing desire to collect revenue from non-fuel based transportation.

Fact #1 is that the ability to collect data on personal movements will be just too hard to resist.

State revenue collection, law enforcement, insurance companies will all have massive interests in seeing a national toll tag system in place.

If they decide to do this, then highway fuel taxes 'technically' could be abolished because you won't need both.

ChiMilNet

As someone from Illinois, I just bought a SunPass Pro. Personally, I like the compatibility with the multiple systems. This is definitely much more comprehensive than I-Pass/EZ-Pass. Particularly, if traveling on I-75 through GA towards points North, you really need PeachPass compatibility, and honestly, I like that this allows me to use the systems here in FL, plus virtually covers the entire East Coast. Also, if traveling to some of the mid states, I can use it there too, which was also something I couldn't do with I-Pass.

WashuOtaku

Quote from: ChiMilNet on June 23, 2023, 10:53:57 PM
As someone from Illinois, I just bought a SunPass Pro. Personally, I like the compatibility with the multiple systems. This is definitely much more comprehensive than I-Pass/EZ-Pass. Particularly, if traveling on I-75 through GA towards points North, you really need PeachPass compatibility, and honestly, I like that this allows me to use the systems here in FL, plus virtually covers the entire East Coast. Also, if traveling to some of the mid states, I can use it there too, which was also something I couldn't do with I-Pass.

That is because Florida, Georgia, and North Carolina agreed to make their systems interoperable. The EZPass is technically not, so the SunPass Pro and the non-free NC Quick Pass transponder have to be used for E-ZPass states. Georgia is actually joining E-ZPass this July, but they are going to be only a few of the EZPass states as they do not have a similar transponder yet.

I assume, at some point, E-ZPass we establish a new transponder standard where people can just use the free sticker instead of a box, or at least I hope.

ZLoth

So, my NTTA Toll Tag works in Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas, and now most of Florida. So, I probably should skip this SunPass "Pro" in favor of EZ Pass regular just to avoid double tolling.... should I ever be able to do road trips again....
I'm an Engineer. That means I solve problems. Not problems like "What is beauty?", because that would fall within the purview of your conundrums of philosophy. I solve practical problems and call them "paychecks".

vdeane

Quote from: WashuOtaku on June 24, 2023, 01:41:01 PM
Quote from: ChiMilNet on June 23, 2023, 10:53:57 PM

That is because Florida, Georgia, and North Carolina agreed to make their systems interoperable. The EZPass is technically not, so the SunPass Pro and the non-free NC Quick Pass transponder have to be used for E-ZPass states. Georgia is actually joining E-ZPass this July, but they are going to be only a few of the EZPass states as they do not have a similar transponder yet.

I assume, at some point, E-ZPass we establish a new transponder standard where people can just use the free sticker instead of a box, or at least I hope.
That's interesting.  I knew Georgia was joining, but the details are different from when Florida and North Carolina joined.  That very much looks like they're testing some new kind of readers that can accept the stickers.  I wonder if E-ZPass interoperability with the rest of the country will start rolling out faster if this works and those readers spread to the other states.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Max Rockatansky

I ended up buying a SunPass Pro since my old transponder died and still frequently visit Florida.  I guess that having the extra utility to save a couple dollars on EZ-Pass roads is nice?  My transponder came with a secondary EZ-Pass number.

ran4sh

It seems that the way Georgia is doing it, they don't intend to offer a hard-case transponder at all, unlike NC QuickPass or SunPass Pro. Although it is news to me that there are so many E-ZPass states whose toll equipment can read the sticker transponders. Looks like it's time to get the rest of those states changed over.

I've always wondered why some people think the boxes are better than free stickers (although I'm not sure if the trick of attaching the sticker with your own tape instead of using the sticker's adhesive, still works). Stickers don't have batteries that run out
Control cities CAN be off the route! Control cities make NO sense if signs end before the city is reached!

Travel Mapping - Most Traveled: I-40, 20, 10, 5, 95 - Longest Clinched: I-20, 85, 24, 16, NJ Tpk mainline
Champions - UGA FB '21 '22 - Atlanta Braves '95 '21 - Atlanta MLS '18

ZLoth

Quote from: ran4sh on June 24, 2023, 09:16:48 PM

I've always wondered why some people think the boxes are better than free stickers (although I'm not sure if the trick of attaching the sticker with your own tape instead of using the sticker's adhesive, still works). Stickers don't have batteries that run out

I have three stickers on my vehicle: My Texas registration, my NTTA Toll Tag, and my carwash tag. Having had a CA-based Fastrak box in California, I do miss that confirming "beep" that the toll has been paid when I drove across the Carquinez Toll bridge.
I'm an Engineer. That means I solve problems. Not problems like "What is beauty?", because that would fall within the purview of your conundrums of philosophy. I solve practical problems and call them "paychecks".

ChiMilNet

In Illinois, at least, there is no sticker option for I-Pass. Interesting that GA is finally joining EZ-Pass, though I'm curious what state transponders it actually will work with. For me, since I'm used to already having a transponder on my windshield, it seemed to make sense to me to have the SunPass Pro. At this point, I am not aware of any plans for EZ-Pass system to work in KS, OK, and TX, unless I missed something?

1995hoo

Quote from: ran4sh on June 24, 2023, 09:16:48 PM

I have an E-ZPass Flex (two of them, actually). Nobody's come up with a way to make a switchable version of a sticker, as far as I know.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.