News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

"Unauthorized" radio edits

Started by TheHighwayMan3561, January 11, 2022, 11:27:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman65

Cox Media still edits the GD word in The Eagles Life In The Fast Lane and the homophobic term in Dyer Straits Money For Nothing song on WMMO.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Henry

I've always wondered how the word "bullshit" was edited in Pink Floyd's Money. Did they substitute another word for it, or was it simply muted out?
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

bandit957

Quote from: Henry on January 13, 2022, 11:45:01 AM
I've always wondered how the word "bullshit" was edited in Pink Floyd's Money. Did they substitute another word for it, or was it simply muted out?

Usually when it was played in the '80s or early '90s, it was unedited, but sometimes it just went "bull."
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

roadman65

Quote from: bandit957 on January 13, 2022, 11:49:08 AM

Usually when it was played in the '80s or early '90s, it was unedited, but sometimes it just went "bull."

Yet REO Speedwagon when they had Tough Guys released over 40 years ago, WPLJ in New York never edited the S word out of the song. Neither did they for Party Time or Party Town ( Glen Fred's first post Eagle solo song) with the line"  Kiss my Ass."

I do remember Carol Miller talking about it after playing the song once.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

snowc

Quote from: Molandfreak on January 12, 2022, 10:58:57 PM
Quote from: I-55 on January 12, 2022, 09:55:48 PM
Quote from: cabiness42 on January 12, 2022, 07:36:29 PM
Quote from: Henry on January 12, 2022, 07:34:31 PM
Quote from: vdeane on January 12, 2022, 01:00:42 PM
And speaking of spelling, did the content rules for language get stricter in 2022?  Replacing the F word with "forget" has been common for years, but at least on my local station, they were only doing it if the word was said in full.  Now they're doing it even just for the letter when it's meant that way, making the "A, B, C, D, E, F, U" part of one song come out weird.  The change happened right around New Year's.
Yeah, I remember hearing Who Are You's "who the fuck are you" line being played on the radio, and in retrospect I'm quite surprised that the censors didn't drop the hammer on it back then like they do now. (Mind you, this was in an era where the F-bomb was forbidden in PG-rated movies, and to a certain extent still is, which may at long last explain why in Smokey & the Bandit, Jackie Gleason's insult to another sheriff was drowned out by a passing truck horn.) In later years, stations would play it with a new line ("who the hell are you") edited in. My guess is that the FCC finally got its shit together in '89 when they refused to let any station play a certain rap album that had a profane criticism against police officers, and many of you would know what I mean by it.

PG movies can't have any F-bombs. PG-13 movies can have one but not more than one. Don't ask me why it's OK for a 13 year old to hear an F-bomb once but not more than once.

Ocean's Eleven has at least two f-bombs and is rated PG-13, so unless the f-bomb is a Chinese word for something else (in which case Yen's only English line in the movie is no longer English) the rule would be broken.
I think what is allowed is up to the raters at the MPAA, who vary year to year and can be pretty inconsistent. The Martian also has two, and it's PG-13.

But interestingly, I've seen that movie on TV both in the US and Canada. In Canada, the F-bombs were left in and it was rated 14+. In the US, both were cut and it was TV-MA.
Why the hell does the Simpsons have a PG rating but the movie is PG-13?!  :-D :ded:

Life in Paradise

Quote from: dlsterner on January 12, 2022, 08:20:46 PM
I was just reminded of an instance where an "Unauthorized" radio edit led to a legitimate authorized recording ...

Back in 1978, Neil Diamond and Barbra Streisand separately recorded the song "You Don't Bring Me Flowers" (written by Diamond) as album cuts.  A local DJ created a "mash-up" of the two recordings to make it into a duet, and would play it on the air.  Apparently this became more and more popular, to the point where the two singers decided to actually record the song as a duet.  Later that year it was released as a single, going to #1 on the Billboard Hot 100.
That would be WAKY in Louisville.  One of those former top 40 AM stations.

abefroman329

Quote from: KeithE4Phx on January 12, 2022, 11:31:50 PM
Yeah, I remember hearing Who Are You's "who the fuck are you" line being played on the radio, and in retrospect I'm quite surprised that the censors didn't drop the hammer on it back then like they do now.

The single "AM radio" version of Who Are You had "Who the hell are you" instead of the F-bomb that FM stations got away with.  Both were Roger Daltrey's vocals.  Nowadays, at least on the classic rock stations in Phoenix, the AM version is played.

Quote(Mind you, this was in an era where the F-bomb was forbidden in PG-rated movies, and to a certain extent still is, which may at long last explain why in Smokey & the Bandit, Jackie Gleason's insult to another sheriff was drowned out by a passing truck horn.)

The TV release of Smokey and the Bandit had Henry Corden (aka Fred Flintstone #2) overdubbing Gleason's "sumbitch" lines as "sumbuck."  IIRC, this release was in the late 1980s, after Gleason had died.
It was overdubbed as "scumbum."  They literally invented a new insult.

bandit957

Quote from: roadman65 on January 13, 2022, 11:54:31 AM
Yet REO Speedwagon when they had Tough Guys released over 40 years ago, WPLJ in New York never edited the S word out of the song. Neither did they for Party Time or Party Town ( Glen Fred's first post Eagle solo song) with the line"  Kiss my Ass."

Q-102 in Cincinnati never edited the Glenn Frey one. I also remember hearing it once on WLAP-FM and it actually sounded like they were trying to call attention to it.

CapeCodder

Not sure of the title or artist, but there's a song that starts with "come on, come on, turn the radio on", and on my local radio station "the radio" gets replaced with "FLY92" (the name of the station).  Threw me through a loop when I heard the regular version of the song on another station.

There's also a rare case of the the radio getting the full version of the song but the album getting the edited one... for whatever reason, Taylor Swift removed "hey kids, spelling is fun!" from Me when the album was released.

And speaking of spelling, did the content rules for language get stricter in 2022?  Replacing the F word with "forget" has been common for years, but at least on my local station, they were only doing it if the word was said in full.  Now they're doing it even just for the letter when it's meant that way, making the "A, B, C, D, E, F, U" part of one song come out weird.  The change happened right around New Year's.

The song sounds like Power by Red Rider.

Big John

In The Devil went down to Georgia, the line Son of a Bitch was changed to Son of a Gun on many radio stations.

vdeane

Quote from: CapeCodder on January 13, 2022, 02:20:03 PM
Not sure of the title or artist, but there's a song that starts with "come on, come on, turn the radio on", and on my local radio station "the radio" gets replaced with "FLY92" (the name of the station).  Threw me through a loop when I heard the regular version of the song on another station.

There's also a rare case of the the radio getting the full version of the song but the album getting the edited one... for whatever reason, Taylor Swift removed "hey kids, spelling is fun!" from Me when the album was released.

The song sounds like Power by Red Rider.
Went ahead and did a couple song lookups.  The first song is Cheap Thrills by Sia.  The last is in fact called ABCDEFU and is by GAYLE.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Henry

Quote from: bandit957 on January 13, 2022, 11:49:08 AM

Just found that edit on YouTube:

Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

triplemultiplex

Quote from: snowc on January 13, 2022, 11:57:37 AM
Why the hell does the Simpsons have a PG rating but the movie is PG-13?!  :-D :ded:

Because of Bart's wiener.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

bandit957

I remember when AM stations usually played the short version of a song, while FM stations usually played the longer version. A good example from the 1980s is "Wanna Be Startin' Somethin'" by Michael Jackson. I think the AM version cut out several parts, including a part right before he yells, "Hee-ha!"

jp the roadgeek

Quote from: bandit957 on January 14, 2022, 12:28:33 PM
I remember when AM stations usually played the short version of a song, while FM stations usually played the longer version. A good example from the 1980s is "Wanna Be Startin' Somethin'" by Michael Jackson. I think the AM version cut out several parts, including a part right before he yells, "Hee-ha!"

I remember a few FM stations playing the short versions of songs.  The former 70's classic hits station would play the edited version of Blinded by the Light by Manfred Mann that cut out the entire middle jam portion and cut Yes's Roundabout down from 8 1/2 to 2 1/2 minutes.  The classic rock stations would play the longer versions.  Also, the classic hits station played the studio version of J. Geils's Musta Got Lost, while the classic rock stations would play the live version complete with Peter Wolf's rap at the beginning. 
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

snowc

Quote from: triplemultiplex on January 14, 2022, 12:27:11 PM
Quote from: snowc on January 13, 2022, 11:57:37 AM

Because of Bart's wiener.
hmmmm.  :hmmm:  :pan:

abefroman329

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on January 14, 2022, 12:47:52 PM
Quote from: bandit957 on January 14, 2022, 12:28:33 PM

I remember a few FM stations playing the short versions of songs.  The former 70's classic hits station would play the edited version of Blinded by the Light by Manfred Mann that cut out the entire middle jam portion and cut Yes's Roundabout down from 8 1/2 to 2 1/2 minutes.  The classic rock stations would play the longer versions.  Also, the classic hits station played the studio version of J. Geils's Musta Got Lost, while the classic rock stations would play the live version complete with Peter Wolf's rap at the beginning.
So far, the only thing I don't like about SiriusXM is the fact that they frequently play the edited-for-length radio versions of songs.

michravera

Quote from: Molandfreak on January 12, 2022, 10:58:57 PM
Quote from: I-55 on January 12, 2022, 09:55:48 PM
Quote from: cabiness42 on January 12, 2022, 07:36:29 PM
Yeah, I remember hearing Who Are You's "who the fuck are you" line being played on the radio, and in retrospect I'm quite surprised that the censors didn't drop the hammer on it back then like they do now. (Mind you, this was in an era where the F-bomb was forbidden in PG-rated movies, and to a certain extent still is, which may at long last explain why in Smokey & the Bandit, Jackie Gleason's insult to another sheriff was drowned out by a passing truck horn.) In later years, stations would play it with a new line ("who the hell are you") edited in. My guess is that the FCC finally got its shit together in '89 when they refused to let any station play a certain rap album that had a profane criticism against police officers, and many of you would know what I mean by it.

PG movies can't have any F-bombs. PG-13 movies can have one but not more than one. Don't ask me why it's OK for a 13 year old to hear an F-bomb once but not more than once.

Ocean's Eleven has at least two f-bombs and is rated PG-13, so unless the f-bomb is a Chinese word for something else (in which case Yen's only English line in the movie is no longer English) the rule would be broken.
I think what is allowed is up to the raters at the MPAA, who vary year to year and can be pretty inconsistent. The Martian also has two, and it's PG-13.

But, I've seen that movie on TV both in the US and Canada. In Canada, the F-bombs were left in and it was rated 14+. In the US, both were cut and it was TV-MA.

The MPAA definition that I saw says "multiple uses" get you an 'R'. Is two "Multiple"? I guess it's up to the raters....

bandit957

I remember "Dress You Up" by Madonna having two different openings. One version started with sort of a rumble. The other version started with a "clank clank clank!" The second version is the only one I've heard in decades.

A local AM station used to play the rumble version, until one day, a DJ said after the rumbling, "Ew, Madonna, that's gross!" After that, they switched to the "clank" version.

Scott5114

I was listening to KOMA (which I mentioned in my last post) again and they played a version of "Money for Nothing" that entirely skipped over the verse where they repeatedly use a word which is now considered to be a much harsher slur than it was when they recorded it.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

bandit957

Quote from: Scott5114 on January 14, 2022, 07:50:31 PM
I was listening to KOMA (which I mentioned in my last post) again and they played a version of "Money for Nothing" that entirely skipped over the verse where they repeatedly use a word which is now considered to be a much harsher slur than it was when they recorded it.

Skipping over that verse was common. The pop stations around here usually skipped it. I think the promotional single skipped it, but I think the commercial single had that verse. I'm not sure about that though.

bandit957

Quote from: bandit957 on January 14, 2022, 07:56:26 PM

Skipping over that verse was common. The pop stations around here usually skipped it. I think the promotional single skipped it, but I think the commercial single had that verse. I'm not sure about that though.

Also, 'American Top 40' skipped that verse, but 'Countdown America' played that verse.

Road Hog

Kid Rock's "Cowboy" on his debut album had a "radio edit" that I'm not sure was intentional.

Scott5114

Huh, never knew that. KRXO (the local classic rock station) would always play it with that verse intact, which is sort of odd since it and KOMA are both owned by Tyler Media. (Then again, I haven't listened to KRXO in a long time, since they changed frequencies and transmitters, and I'm pretty sure I've used lightbulbs with a higher wattage rating than they have now. So it's possible management made the change on both stations.)
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Rothman

Quote from: Scott5114 on January 14, 2022, 09:21:25 PM

Huh, never knew that. KRXO (the local classic rock station) would always play it with that verse intact, which is sort of odd since it and KOMA are both owned by Tyler Media. (Then again, I haven't listened to KRXO in a long time, since they changed frequencies and transmitters, and I'm pretty sure I've used lightbulbs with a higher wattage rating than they have now. So it's possible management made the change on both stations.)

Although I understand why the verse was skipped, the fact that the song lyrics were based loosely upon a conversation that Knopfler overheard seems to add more weight to what language was tolerated in the past (i.e., it wasn't just Mark totally making stuff up, but people back then really spoke like that...and it was wrong).
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.